SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ding-Lu could be our Irish Elk/Megaloceros given how impressive its “antlers” are. It’s also a vessel aka cauldron.
Hm, I was hesitant to remove a normal ungulate mammal like a moose do to how ambiguous Ding-Lu's design is, but I'm not against removing an extinct relative especially when there's a connection that can be made between the two!

REMOVED: "Irish Elk/Megaloceros" form "Extinct/Fossil" list!

I didn't have Vessel/Cauldron/Ding/Taotie on the lists.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
INQUERY!
While doing the Type Combination changes, I began to question whether I should make a new list or two noting the unique Type Combination that only Legendaries and other Special Pokemon have. Do you think this kind of list would be helpful or are the lists fine as they are?
That does seem to be something useful to have actually.
I was just thinking about this the other day and yes I do think it would be of interest.
UPDATE!
I went ahead and added two new lists on the 2nd post of this thread in the "Type Combination Lists". Or, rather, I expanded the previous "Done Only By One Family" to also include two lists pertaining to "Special Groups".

The two lists are "Unique Type Combinations Done Only By" and "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And".

"What's the point of these lists?"

As we dwindle down the Type Combination list generation by generation, its easy to lose sight that sometimes these unique Type Combinations aren't going to be something you'll likely get while playing the game normally. Some Type Combinations are either unique to a certain group of Pokemon, or only one "Common" Pokemon you can get in the Wild has it still making it a relatively rare Type. So these new lists should help clear up how some of the unique Type Combinations might not be as easily gotten as others. Admittedly it's a niche list, but then again so is just having a list of unused Type Combinations so it fits right in. :bloblul:

UPDATE!
I went ahead and added two new lists on the 2nd post of this thread in the "Type Combination Lists". Or, rather, I expanded the previous "Done Only By One Family" to also include two lists pertaining to "Special Groups".

The two lists are "Unique Type Combinations Done Only By" and "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And".

"What's the point of these lists?"

As we dwindle down the Type Combination list generation by generation, its easy to lose sight that sometimes these unique Type Combinations aren't going to be something you'll likely get while playing the game normally. Some Type Combinations are either unique to a certain group of Pokemon, or only one "Common" Pokemon you can get in the Wild has it still making it a relatively rare Type. So these new lists should help clear up how some of the unique Type Combinations might not be as easily gotten as others. Admittedly it's a niche list, but then again so is just having a list of unused Type Combinations so it fits right in. :bloblul:
Looking at these lists I noticed most combinations with Dragon have only been done by "special" Pokémon. The only combos of Dragon and another type that have more than one "common" family are Dragon/Flying (Altaria and Noibat family), Dragon/Water (Kingdra and Tatsugiri) and Dragon/Normal (Drampa and Cyclizar), the later two only being true as of this generation. I guess that comes from a huge percentage of Dragon-types being "special" Pokémon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Looking at these lists I noticed most combinations with Dragon have only been done by "special" Pokémon. The only combos of Dragon and another type that have more than one "common" family are Dragon/Flying (Altaria and Noibat family), Dragon/Water (Kingdra and Tatsugiri) and Dragon/Normal (Drampa and Cyclizar), the later two only being true as of this generation. I guess that comes from a huge percentage of Dragon-types being "special" Pokémon.
Hm, good observation. With how we now have handfuls of "common" Dragon-types, it's easy to overlook the Type diversity of all them. Sure, by now you can make several teams of "common" Dragon, but aside from Mono, Flying, Water, and Normal (which in terms of their use is just more a trait that dragon has than something emphasized of its design) other special Types won't be shared among the teams. Which hearkens back to the early gens where Dragon was that super rare Type which there was only a few Pokemon of, or if a "common" Pokemon was Dragon it wasn't in its base stage (such as with Horsea, Swablu, and Trapinch); it wasn't until Gen V we got both a "common" 3-stage, non-pseudo family of Dragon-types (Axew) and a standalone (Druddigon), and even then both of them are Mono Dragon. Lastly, the "common" Dragon-types I'm noticing aren't your typical depiction of dragons but rather other animals associated with dragons (dinosaurs, seahorses, turtles... and now we have sushi which :blobshrug:), meanwhile many Legendaries and Pseudos are you well-known European or Asian Dragon shape.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pokemon loves its design puns, so I'm surprised we haven't had an electric chicken Pokemon yet... you know, a battery hen.
Er, while I do know we have Pokemon like Combusken and Blaziken which venture into "questionable" territory when it comes to things associated with animal abuse (heck, I say this as if they didn't just create Paldean Tauros which forms represents ways the bulls are abused...), I feel battery hens may be crossing a line. While cockfighting and bull fighting can be sweeped under the uncomfortable rug of at least having cultural history behind it (glamourized in some cases), battery hens do not. They are hens kept in cages for the sole purpose of laying as many eggs as they can to both meet an economic need and profit. They have a long history of being poor if not horrible living conditions for the chickens with at least older ones being cramp and preventing the hen from even moving around.

Also, I don't know how big chicken farming is in Japan, but if I were to take a guess I don't think it would be. So for GF to even have battery hen be a blip in their radar they it would have to be a foreign thing introduced to them and I don't know how many places which would advertise their battery hen farms for tourist view (kind of a "don't show where the food is processed" kind of deals there). Also, that "battery" part would be coming from an English pun which they rarely do. I would more believe GF would make a chicken Pokemon based on chicken sashimi/torisashi before any other controversial chicken topics.

And finally, we do have an electric chicken based off safer origins:

It's a Legendary too!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Now that we have Tentacool and Toedscool, representing water and land, we need a third one that represents air. It'll be a flying-type that uses the tentacles as either wings or propellers.
This thread isn't really about theorizing what new Pokemon can potentially be; it is a list (or lists if you want to consider each category seperate) of animals, plants, objects, things, & concepts which could be used as the design basis for future Pokemon. It's one reason this thread is generally dead, the lists have gotten to a point that anything you can think of that isn't a Pokemon yet is probably on the list in some shape or form, with me occasionally adding/removing/changing/rearranging so the list looks (somewhat) presentable and up-to-date. By all means, if you have something I can add to the list then suggest it, the worse I can say is no (I do try to explain why), but if it's something not on the list (and a Pokemon isn't based on it) I'd be more than happy to add it (I and others may even learn something).

It's more: "Hey, it would be cool if there was a Pokemon based on (blank)".
Rather then "Hey, it would be cool if they made a Flying-type Tentacool". Too unspecific, and even if you said a thing that it would be based on that wasn't on the list (and no other Pokemon was based on it) it would be go on the list unattached to it being a "form" of Tentacool.

Though, in my personal experience of attempting it, just in general I find it difficult to come up with ideas for Regional Variants or now "Converged Shape" Pokemon as their existence needs to be justified which is done so by what place in the world the Region is based on and even what Pokemon they plan to have in the Regional Dex. Also, for Regional Variants, they need to think of a reason why the Pokemon would change into this variant; and for "Convergent Shape", how does this specific body shape help this Pokemon like it does for the "original". Obviously it can be done, "this is a regional variant/convergent shape of (Pokemon) for a region based on (place in the world) because (reason)", though without said region (and its dex) you're just redesigning an existing Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Do jiggers (Tunga penetrans) count? It's way too unique (unfortunately) from other fleas due to how jiggers act like barnacles in a obtuse, disturbing way.
Added it as a sub-type of flea.

QUICK UPDATE:
Hey, we just had a whole batch of DLC that added new Pokemon! I'll look through the lists later, but for now here are changes to unique type combinations:

Poison/Fighting added to "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And (Legendaries/Mythicals)".

Grass/Psychic, Fire/Dragon, Electric/Dragon, & Steel/Psychic added to "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And (Paradox Pokemon)".

Poison/Psychic & Poison/Fairy:
  • Removed from "Done Only By One Family + Special Groups".
  • Added to "Unique Type Combinations Done Only By (Legendaries/Mythicals)".
Poison/Ghost:
  • Removed from "Done Only By One Family + Special Groups".
  • Added to "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And (Legendaries/Mythicals)".
Grass/Rock, Grass/Fire, & Grass/Water:
  • Have a blue asterisk note added in "Done Only By One Family + Special Groups".
  • Added to "Unique Type Combinations Done By One "Common" Family And (Legendaries/Mythicals)".
Also, Bulbapedia changed up their Type colors to match with the games so I'm also going to do that later on. The main changes are Fire is now red (previously orange), Fighting is now orange (previously red), and Steel is now teal (previously light gray).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)