SM PU Welcome to the CrabWash (PU Trick Room Team, Peaked #30)

Introduction:

Hello everyone! My name is NoPunIntended, and welcome to my first RMT on the forums! The main reason it's the first is because my teams rarely make it high on the ladder. But today is a new day, and I've reached top 30 on the PU ladder with a team centered around using Trick Room and powerful wallbreakers. I was inspired by my good friend MattyBrollic, arguably the most well known Trick Room battler in the community and without him I wouldn't have tried this so thanks for the inspiration. Anyway, let's get right into things!

The team was originally centered around Crabominable, a devastatingly difficult mon to switch into. I knew Crab could run through teams if brought in under a Trick Room, thanks to having a decent offensive movepool that many teams have difficulty getting around.

To complement Crabominable's low speed, I opted for Mesprit as a TR setter. I'm surprised Mesprit hasn't been banned to BL4 by this point. When defensively invested, it tanks even supereffective hits, so it will almost always get an opportunity to put up the Trick Room.

Alolan Exeggutor made sense as an alternate Trick Room setter in case Mesprit got worn down. Exeggutor's coverage of Grass-Dragon-Fire combined with the ability to break down defensive mons while under TR gave it an edge over other specially offensive mons in the tier.

The three mons I had at this point didn't have a great matchup against bulky psychics and ghosts. I needed a dark type that could check those mons, and I originally used a physical Assault Vest Skuntank to beat them down and/or pursuit trap them. I wanted a Dark type to block moves from Prankster mons, but I didn't want to exacerbate my current bug weakness by using a pure dark type.

Wanting an additional breaker on my team, I settled on Specs Wishiwashi. I intended to have Wishiwashi weaken potential checks to Crabominable, as Crabominable also gets snuffed by bulky waters such as Lanturn. Wishiwashi lures them in so that Crab can lock itself into Ice Hammer more easily.

Finally, I chose Silk Scarf Kangaskhan as a generally bulky mon with few type weaknesses that could neutralize opposing sweeps. Kang can usually survive any one non Z-move hit and revenge back, plus it has dual priority to pick off sweepers at low levels of HP. I chose it over other bulky normals because its Scrappy ability gave me another out against ghosts, specifically more offensively inclined ones.

When testing the team in its early stages, I had problems against strong special attackers like Oricorio-Sensu and Magmortar that used Z-moves to auto-kill one of my mons. In order to better handle those matchups, I moved the Assault Vest from Skuntank to Kangaskhan, replacing Skuntank's previous item with Black Sludge for some passive recovery. I also turned Skuntank from a physical attacker to a special one because ghosts I would attempt to pursuit trap would just stay in and burn it, ruining my plans.

The Team:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room

Mesprit is the primary Trick Room setter that supplements my slow wallbreakers. Known as one of the best physically defensive support mons in the PU metagame, Mesprit switches into most fighting and poison types and can threaten them with STAB Psychic. In fact, there have been plenty of times where I switch Mesprit in on opposing Qwilfish and OHKO them with Psychic as they Taunt me to prevent the Trick Room. Don’t know why people on the ladder are all so content with sacking it but OK. U-turn gathers momentum and hits potential dark switchins super effectively, and while I don’t often use Stealth Rocks, they help substantially against teams with lots of Bug and Flying types, which I don’t really have reliable checks for. They also help punish mons that VoltTurn frequently, which Trick Room teams also struggle dealing with. Leftovers allows it to weather repeated attacks from mons like Hitmonchan and more reliably put up the Room for its teammates.

Exeggutor-Alola @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Alolan Exeggutor’s primary purpose is as a mon with a movepool that threatens much of the tier. It’s also the only mon on this team besides Mesprit with the ability to set up Trick Room. It holds Dragonium Z so it can use Devastating Drake to get past mons that could otherwise check it. These mons include genreal defensive support mons such as opposing Mesprit or fire types like Magmortar. Giga Drain over Energy Ball for increased survivability, and Flamethrower hits Steel-types like Silvally-Steel and Pawniard. I already have too many inaccurate moves on this team to rely on Fire Blast for the Steel matchup.

Crabominable @ Choice Band
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Ah Crabominable. Really could use a haircut imo. Regardless of questionable style choices, Crabominable was the mon I built this team around. It usually locks itself into one of its two STAB moves and can crush even the sturdiest of mons with them. I went with Choice Band over Life Orb for increased power and because Crabominable is often forced to switch out after the first kill and/or when Trick Room expires. Stone Edge and Earthquake are alternative moves that Crab can lock itself into if the opponent has many potential resists to Crabominable's STAB moves, or if it fears making contact with Rocky Helmet/Flame Body/Aftermath mons. The first two moves are usually preferred, however.

Wishiwashi @ Choice Specs
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Wishiwashi has been the most consistent attacker on this team during my testing. It’s able to lure out various bulky Water types that Crabominable can’t kill and greatly weaken them with Hydro Pump or Hidden Power Grass. It also has decent bulk to survive one or two strong hits while remaining over the 25% HP threshold that keeps it in its School form. Much like with Crabominable, Wishiwashi’s Choice Item turns it into a terrifying breaker, and I valued that over being able to switch moves. I chose Hydro Pump over Scald or Surf for much the same reason. Ice Beam is a powerful coverage option against Grass types like Lilligant and Bellossom, that also avoids Hydro Pump’s imperfect accuracy. U-turn allows Wishiwashi to pivot into another mon and is notable for OHKOing Jynx, who could otherwise switch in to Wishiwashi’s two most powerful attacking moves. Hidden Power Grass helps against bulky waters and is chosen over HP Electric in order to hit Lanturn and Gastrodon.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Once a physical attacker with Sucker Punch and Pursuit, Skuntank has since adopted a special moveset because I found it was often a target of Will-o-Wisps from various ghost types. It’s role is to check those ghosts as well as bulky psychics that can stomach hits from Crabominable and Wishiwashi. It can also tank hits from certain dark types, though not all of them. This is the set I think most needs some work. Black Sludge makes it more sustainable with passive recovery. Poison and Dark type dual STAB covers each other relatively well. I previously ran Acid Spray to hit bulky psychics like Musharna and Duosion, but considering I haven't seen those mons at all on the PU ladder, I changed to Fire Blast as a coverage option against Steels. Toxic lets me wear down bulky mons with reliable recovery like Cradily.

Kangaskhan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

One of Kangaskhan’s best attributes is its tankiness, it often stomachs hits most battlers don’t expect it to. Kang acts as a sort of safety blanket thanks to its relative sturdiness and access to dual priority in Fake Out and Sucker Punch, which is almost necessary to quash an opposing sweeper that otherwise gets out of hand. Assault Vest gives Kangaskhan a better matchup against strong special attackers like Z-Oricorios that Kangaskhan can revenge kill easily. Return is a reliable, high base power STAB move. Earthquake is a better option for Kangaskhan to hit Rock and Steel types that resist Return. It also smacks Magmortar, Rapidash, Skuntank and Electrode without triggering their damaging abilities.

Threatlist:
Pawniard:
If it sets up a Swords Dance I have very few ways to check it. One is potentially Alolan Exeggutor, whose item can’t get Knocked Off, but it still gets 2HKOed at +2, while Pawniard also gets 2HKOed by Flamethrower. The reason why I put Fire Blast on Skuntank, but Pawniard still wrecks it if it has to switch in on rocks multiple times.
Kecleon:

Good Sp. Def, and my only two physical attackers are both weak to drain punch, while Mesprit dislikes knock off. Also has lots of priority. Not easy to play around.
Scraggy
:
Same move problems as Kecleon, but with dragon dance instead of priority. Better hope Wishiwashi/Exeggutor can take a hit. It needs to take a turn to set up though, so it's not as bad as Kecleon.
Archeops:

The offensive variant can be problematic if it runs Knock Off or U-Turn. 140 base attack is no joke. Again forces in Mesprit, which is my switchin to much of the rest of the tier, and I'd rather it not be dented if I can avoid it.
Pinsir:

Crabominable is my only bug resist, and Pinsir runs Close Combat to OHKO it. Without Trick Room up, Pinsir outspeeds everything. Thankfully, Mesprit can survive even a Savage Spinout if its at max HP, but the set is still a problem.
Crustle:

Shell Smash + Z move = 6-0. Thankfully it’s not commonly found in PU.
Lanturn:

I can’t reliably switch in to the Assault Vest variant with this team, as Exeggutor gets popped by Ice Beam, Wishiwashi doesn’t like its Electric attacks, and Kangaskhan fears getting Scald burned. Skuntank is my best means of wearing it down, though Lanturn can quickly switch out on it.
Audino defensive cores
:
By the time I switch into Crabominable or Wishiwashi to try and kill it, my opponent throws up the Wish and passes it to a tanky mon that checks one of them. A bulky Psychic and a bulky Water (such as Mesprit & Pyukumuku) will suffice for those roles, and my opponent will toxic stall from there. The core can be broken down but requires a lot of prediction to do so.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-660291196 (Trick Room vs. rain)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-660642503 (Kecleon is dumb)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-660860007 (playing around Strength Sap Bellossom)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-661434441 (Kangaskhan proves its worth)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-661453295 (Why Wishiwashi is the team MVP)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-661920571 (Why Wishiwashi is the team MVP 2)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-662694710 (Mesprit was under consideration, though)

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room

Exeggutor-Alola @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Crabominable @ Choice Band
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Wishiwashi @ Choice Specs
Ability: Schooling
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

Kangaskhan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Conclusion:
Hope you enjoyed the description of this team. I know it has potential but it just needs a bit of tweaking to fix its flaws. Thanks for the help and have a fantastic day!

Attachments

I love this! Crab under TR can be a monster in any tier. I'm also surprised that Mesprit is allowed in PU. Only question about the team is why Crab has Hyper Cutter over Iron Fist? I'm not familiar with the PU tier, so intimidate might be common.

Thanks Matty! Yeah I chose Hyper Cutter over Iron Fist just because I'm not using any punching moves with Crab. Plus I've faced a few Qwilfish, Mawile and Arbok, and they among other things can slow my potential sweep. I mean I could go with Fist-boosted Ice Punch over Hammer, but Hammer is way more fun to use haha.

Thanks Matty! Yeah I chose Hyper Cutter over Iron Fist just because I'm not using any punching moves with Crab. Plus I've faced a few Qwilfish, Mawile and Arbok, and they among other things can slow my potential sweep. I mean I could go with Fist-boosted Ice Punch over Hammer, but Hammer is way more fun to use haha.
ice hammer is boosted by iron fist, and u have eq for qwilfish/mawile anyways

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey man! Interesting concept, but there are something I think should be worked out. I agree with the team selection for everything up till the skuntank. I know that you said you were having a hard time with ghost types. I think the best thing would be to use this over skuntank:
Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hyper Voice / Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room

Although you have 2 trick room users, I feel like the mesprit is sort of eh in trick room since when it uses u-tun, ur incoming mon is gonna take damage. I dont personally like this in trick room. Hence, by having this set, you are able to not only set up trick room, but also heal up whatever is coming in to max.

Another issue I think with this team is the kang. Although it is a cool idea to run AV on kang to supplement its ability to live special moves, I feel like you would rather want another offensive threat rather than a somewhat useless pivot.

Hence, I recommend taking out the AV kang and inserting, in my opinion, the hardest hitting mon in PU and the best trick room abuser: Rampardos.
Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

I noticed that in your replays that you had issues with Kecleon. With a movepool this wide, it is kinda hard to find a move that doesnt suit what ur looking for.

Overall ideas: For trick room, the goal is to set it up and hit the opposing mons as hard as you can. So, with things like an AV kang and a really weak skuntank, I don't agree with those mon selections. You are much better with mons that can set up trick room and then pass it to other mons. Good look with the team!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kinda late to rating this one but the above rate definitely hits the nail on the head with Kangaskhan and Skuntank making very little sense here. Like I don't want to make this totally standard trick room, but there's really no good reason to be using either, especially with these sets. However, I'm really not sold on Rampardos (and Luthier your set doesn't have an item lol), because the line about being the hardest hitting mon in PU just isnt true. Ursaring is a bit less priority weak, much less Fighting weak, and does like 20% more with Facade because Rock Slide is still a mediocre move.
Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
Audino isn't a bad option to directly replace Skuntank, but I would give serious thought to putting Carbink in that slot instead and replacing Mesprit with Mursharna. That would dial the standard-ness up to 11, but Carbink is a much better lead for getting Stealth Rock and Trick Room, and Musharna is simply a better Trick Room setter than Mesprit. Either way though, definitely go Healing Wish on Mesprit instead of U-Turn, it actually lets you get things in for free.
Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fire] / whatever really, doesn't matter

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat

I'd also make the change of Life Orb > Choice Band on Crabominable, it's really not worth being forced to get locked into something when it's already going to hit stupidly hard (and the team has a ridiculous amount of power overall), and even if you don't like recoil it's mostly just not running Choice Band that would help. Specs Wishiwashi works because its moves are more spammable and it has pivoting, whereas everything Crab wants to lock itself into is abusable. As for the Hyper Cutter thing above, Iron Fist is probably better but Qwilfish does exist so either way really. Hopefully these improvements make a difference since Scraggy should really, really never be a major threat to a team. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)