Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Format:

The format is double battles.
Bring 6 choose 4, all Pokemon will become level 50
90 seconds team preview, 45 seconds time per turn
10 minutes chess timer

Pokemon:

Participating Pokemon need to have at least 5 weaknesses
Lugia, Celebi, Giratina, Shaymin, Victini, Kyurem, Keldeo, Ash Greninja are banned
Pokemon brought via the Poke Transporter can be used

Items:

Only Weakness policy and weakness reducing berries are allowed

Dates:

Competition: Starts July 28 0:00 UTC - July 30 11:59 UTC

Entry Prize (requires at least 3 games played):

Altarianite, Ampharosite, Latiosite, Latiasite

We are aware the English PGL says it's Single battles. However, the Japanese ones says it's doubles and whenever there was conflicting information in the past it ended up following the Japanese ones so that is used here. (Also downloaded rules say doubles)

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Viability Rankings - My first impressions for now, will update later

S

Chandelure - Lotsa grass types. Water is uncommon, EQ sucks, no other good ghosts. Amazing coverage. Can decide between anti-rock or dark berry.
Hydreigon - Chandy counter and nice stats. Also no good fairies aside from bulu which has no fairy moves aside from dazzling gleam. (ok there's whimsicott)
Latios - Hydreigon counter and OHKOes without SE a lot, beats terrakion
Latias - Bulky enough to live a lot of SEs, so WP is worth investigating
Tapu Bulu - No other tapus to change terrain. Need I say more?
Terrakion - Terracott combo, beats tyranitar, hydreigon, and possibly chandelure
Tyranitar - Unnerve, chandelure and latis counter, and bulky enough to use WP. Also EQ sucks.

A
Aerodactyl
Crawdaunt - probably strongest TR mon
Drifblim
Greninja - can change types and can use mat block with no scarfers around, but frail and doubles is a bad combination.
Mamoswine
Marowak-A
Rhyperior
Tangrowth
Togekiss - it gets follow me and has good offensive coverage esp with no steels around. weak to rock is kinda bad. Also, who noticed that this thing had 5 weaknesses before today?
Weavile
Whimsicott

B
Breloom - no electric/misty terrain, fast spore esp under tailwind, no safety goggles. But no sash, frail in doubles, and can't spore the many grass types.
Chesnaught
Decidueye
Delphox
Exeggutor (both)
Guzzlord
Kommo-o
Minior
Parasect
Serperior
Virizion

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There are couple of mons not on DragonWhale's list that I think will be pretty key in this format: Weavile and Ribombee. Weavile brings Fake Out and a STAB combination that's able to smack most of the format for super effective damage (and cleaning up a solid chunk of the rest with Low Kick), whereas Ribombee gives us the offensive Fairy-type presence that is missing from this competition outside of Whimsicott (e: and Togekiss!), as well as a super nice Speed stat and a kind of team support in Pollen Puff. Oricorio is also available in its Ghost-type forme so it's likely we'll be seeing the return of that combo.

e: While I'm covering types, aside from Chandelure you also have access to Alolan Marowak and Delphox as potential Fire-types. Delphox is faster than Chandelure but has a less useful secondary STAB and can't beat it one on one unless you use a Kasib Berry. There aren't any usable Poison types so Psychic attacks are less useful too but there are a handful of Fighting-type that may see use to combat all the Dark-types, such as Hawlucha, Crabominable, Breloom, Virizion, Terrakion and Kommo-o. Steel-types and Electric-types are null and void by the looks but Ground-types get the pick of Mamoswine, Krookodile, Golurk and Palossand I guess (???), Claydol and all the Rock/Ground types.

Last edited:
From a first look at the list of eligibles, I thought that Trick Room would have been king once again (Slowbro, Tyranitar, Chandelure, A-Marowak) but with things like Hydreigon, Terrakion, heck even Bulu (and the lack of our Lord and Savior p2), it's possible that a more "balanced" team composition will be the way to go. Terracott seems really strong though, as Rock resists are dispatched by Whimsicott (well, Rhyperior and Breloom are, at least), if it dies after the Tailwind you have other massive powerhouses to aid Terrakion (and no Focus Sash for emergency checking, either), the only SE priority is from Breloom and Greninja (both quite frail), and Fake Out seems to have low distribution in this format as well.
Also, it's kind of funny that "Weakness Cup" got translated as "Weaklings Cup" in Italian. I mean, maybe Lycanroc-Midnight and Rampardos, but Greninja and flippin' Tyranitar are anything but weaklings!

Same problem in French : it says Singles on PGL and download rules say Doubles.
They continue what they did in ORAS : one comp on appearence then one comp playing with Pokemon characteristics (a comp playing around 3-4 top tiers do deal with then a comp with a struggling metagame).

Edit : it says Lopunny in the first post but it's Ampharos.

Don't forget Serperior, especially in a meta where the only terrain is Grassy.
When there are Grass resists everywhere... I really love the Super Snake but I don't think it has much to do here.

I assume Grass, Fire, Ice and Rock types are going to take the vast majority of the meta.

(Also, Alolan Marowak is pretty much unviable because it cannot use the Thick Club)

PS: Serebii has a list of all eligible Pokemon for the cup. Pokemon one would not normally think of 5+ weaknesses like Slowbro/king, Starmie or Krookodile (only Intimidator besides Masquerain) are available to use. Krookodile seems interesting considering Grass is the only common STAB weakness it has in this tourney.

Last edited:
In terms of Trick Room, it seems the Slows and Chandelure are the only slow setters - I'm not even trying to say "viable" setters.

Trick Room looks like it's a far cry from the previous tourney. Not sure if outright bad but... I don't think there are any slow Fake Out users.

Lets hope the ladder goes live faster than it did for the Tiny Tourney, i have a few things i want to try out.

Reactions: JES
Might require some testing but Decidueye and Greninja with the Pledge combo could be usable. Greninja has a ton of weaknesses this format but Decidueye's only crippling weakness will be Chandelure and possibly Krookodile if he ends up being super common. Should be more interesting than the last cup which just ended up being a Trick Room format.

Another interesting point in this cup is that there are literally no Steel-types whatsoever. Other than very specific cases (Ribombee and Grass-types with HP Rock?), Hidden Power will be in far less of a demand, since it's far less likely there's something that will resist everything you can throw at it.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
This will probably end up being my first participation in the Gen VII meta, looks fascinating.

I'm currently thinking I would run Tyranitar/Abomasnow/Virizion/Oricorio-Pa'u/Palossand, need to figure out who would be my sixth.

This will probably end up being my first participation in the Gen VII meta, looks fascinating.

I'm currently thinking I would run Tyranitar/Abomasnow/Virizion/Oricorio-Pa'u/Palossand, need to figure out who would be my sixth.
Could toss in Greninja to Water Shuriken Palossand, and maybe give said Palossand the Weakness Policy.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
Indeed, the whole idea behind the Palossand is to have a TR-capable copy of the Battle Tree's Set 4 (who holds WP), so that could work. Nice thing is, I already have a Torrent version of the Maison/Tree's Greninja3 ready, so it would just be a matter of deciding what to replace the King's Rock with.

Another interesting point in this cup is that there are literally no Steel-types whatsoever. Other than very specific cases (Ribombee and Grass-types with HP Rock?), Hidden Power will be in far less of a demand, since it's far less likely there's something that will resist everything you can throw at it.
With that in mind, Dhelmise might be interesting to pick up some "STAB" Steel-type moves and maybe get some free kills on the Fairy and Rock-types all over the format. Might be too gimmicky but its certainly something to consider.

I've already started on a preliminary team. Hopefully, the ladder will go up soon. I suppose I should try a Dancer Dancer set this time, backed up with heavy attackers. I'm wondering if I should focus on heavy hitters like Tyranitar and Latias, or quick attackers like Weavile and Greninja?

MEGA ALTARIA FUCKING FINALLY.

Rhyperior is seriously badass though. AV Solid Rock shits on a lot. Eviolite Rhydon if you need Lightningrod.
Dhelmise sounds cool in this but Chandy / Hydra are gonna floor it.

Ice / Bug / Grass are weak to everything, Bug being notable as the worst type in the game. Random shit like Scyther might work?

Also Lati@s will be incredible in this format imo.

MEGA ALTARIA FUCKING FINALLY.

Rhyperior is seriously badass though. AV Solid Rock shits on a lot. Eviolite Rhydon if you need Lightningrod.
Dhelmise sounds cool in this but Chandy / Hydra are gonna floor it.

Ice / Bug / Grass are weak to everything, Bug being notable as the worst type in the game. Random shit like Scyther might work?

Also Lati@s will be incredible in this format imo.
You can only equip Weakness Policy or type effectiveness Berries in this cup, so sorry, no AV, no Eviolite.

Rhyperior wishes he would have an exception. Imagine if Eviolite were allowed, then we'd have Togetic as a possible supporter. Then again, I get the feeling this is going to be a fast-paced meta-game, and stall teams are going to get shredded to bits. We're not going to outlast our opponents. We're going to have to knock them out before they can do so to us!

Now, there's the matter on equippable items.

With only a Weakness Policy and one of each type-resist berry (when every Pokemon bar Protean Greninja has at least five weaknesses), picking what to cover is not going to be easy.

Well, perhaps the Weakness Policy is fairly easy - pick the bulkiest thing around (Tyranitar?) or something with Agility or an equivalent and you're done.

Say, something like Chandelure or Latias. What to use? Kesib (Ghost) or Colbur (Dark), or something else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)