move 4: Substitute
item: Buginium Z
ability: Swarm
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz reaches jaw-dropping levels of power when boosted by Swarm and a couple of Quiver Dances. It can be powered up to a 175-Base Power Savage Spin-Out, which, when boosted by Swarm, can always OHKO Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, always OHKO Toxapex at +2, and often OHKO Chansey at +3. Bug Buzz also helps against Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias, Pokemon that are notoriously able to check Volcarona when it doesn't run the move. Fire Blast is mandatory for hitting Magearna, Celesteela, and other Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz. Quiver Dance enables Volcarona to sweep through teams with relative ease due to the boost it gives to Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, while Substitute is used to shield Volcarona from Choice Scarf revenge killers like Greninja and Keldeo that can switch directly into it, forcing them to break its Substitute and allowing Volcarona to deal a decent amount of damage to them in the process; it is also helpful for easing setup on foes that can't break its Substitute or that have status moves, such as Toxapex and Clefable, and can also help Volcarona activate Swarm if facing a slower foe.

Set Details
========

Swarm provides a huge boost to Volcarona's Bug-type moves, making it essential to the success of this set along with Buginium Z, which enables Volcarona to use a one-time Savage Spin-Out. Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs along with a Timid nature ensure that Volcarona can outrun Pokemon like Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Landorus-T as well as sweep more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, remove all Pokemon that could stop Volcarona before attempting to sweep with it; any potential Choice Scarf user must be removed unless you can guarantee that Volcarona can get two Quiver Dances or a Substitute up. Scout for Pokemon that commonly run Choice Scarf sets, such as Greninja, Keldeo, Terrakion, and Latios, and if they are confirmed as Choice Scarf users, try to take them down before trying to sweep. Similarly, Hawlucha, Mega Swampert, and Kingdra can also outspeed +1 Volcarona if their abilities are successfully triggered, so keep that in mind. Furthermore, if your opponent switches one of the aforementioned Pokemon on Volcarona, go for Substitute as they switch in; that way Volcarona guarantees some chip damage on said revenge killer and can weaken it for its own sweep later throughout the match. Additionally, watch out for potential priority users such as Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, Quick Attack Mega Pinsir, and Water Shuriken Greninja that can stop Volcarona from sweeping; always be aware of potential priority users and try to figure out their sets to leave enough HP to tank said priority moves.

As for setup opportunities, Volcarona can easily set up on Chansey: use Quiver Dance as Chansey switches in, then use Substitute as Chansey uses Toxic. Just use Quiver Dance two more times and OHKO the Chansey with Savage Spin-Out; while there can still be some mind games, Volcarona can still beat it one-on-one most of the time. Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex lacking Haze, as Scald can't even break its Substitute after a Quiver Dance, while Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it; mind games may also happen, but once again Volcarona has the upper hand. Finally, don't recklessly switch Volcarona into moves or into hazards if it is your only win condition, as it should always try to maintain its health for it to sweep late-game.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is crucial for Volcarona to be able to set up. Teammates like Mew, Mega Scizor, Mantine, Latios, and Tapu Fini are great options for that reason. On more offensive teams, Kartana and Excadrill can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Additionally, Pokemon that can lure and KO Heatran are very important, since Heatran is pretty much the ultimate answer to this set: good options include Focus Punch Mega Mawile, which also helps with Toxapex if running Thunder Punch, Earthquake Mew, and Surf Latios, both of which can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Also, answers to the typical Volcarona revenge killers are important, since most of them can prevent a Volcarona sweep. Tapu Fini deals with Greninja, Keldeo, and Kingdra and provides the aforementioned Defog support. Mega Diancie deserves a special mention due to its ability to bounce back Stealth Rock and catch Heatran off-guard with Earth Power if played well. Tapu Lele protects Volcarona against priority, which is especially useful for this set, since Volcarona relies on being at low health to sweep with Swarm. It can also lure Heatran and then KO it with All-Out Pummeling. Ground-types like Zygarde, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill are also great picks thanks to their ability to deal with both Heatran and Toxapex, the two biggest roadblocks to this set.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A Modest Nature could be used instead for overall more power but Timid is generally prefered as Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Landorus-T can outrun it at +1.
In all honesty, unless there are some specific notable OHKOs or 2HKOs, I wouldn't even bother listing Modest as a viable option. That Speed tier is just too crowded, and being outsped by Jolly Lando is actually fucking disgusting.

Choice Scarf sets such as Greninja, Keldeo, Terrakion, Latios and Gengar
Gengar is a terrible Scarfer atm and can't even revenge Volcarona so remove that.

Additionally, watch out for potential priority users, Water Shuriken Protean Greninja, double priority Lopunny, and Extreme Speed Leftovers Zygarde, and other obscure priority users could often stop Volcarona from sweeping, therefore always be aware of potential priority users and try to figure out their sets to leave HP to tank said priority moves.
Add Mega Pinsir cause that's a pretty big one. Lefties E Speed Zyg is really specific, and I would just say "E Speed Zyg" in general because almost all of its sets can potentially carry it and it needs to be scouted for.

Hazard removal is crucial for Volcarona to be able to set up. Teammates like Mew, Mega Scizor, Mantine, Latios, Skarmory, Tapu Fini, and other Deffogers are great options. On more offensive teams, Kartana and Excadrill can also remove hazards for Volcarona
Remove Skarm. Not a commonly used Pokemon on Volcarona teams because it's normally only really seen on stall these days.

QC 1/3

Not qc but latios/latias/tyranitar should probably be mentioned as Bug Buzz targets. They wall non-Bug Buzz volc to an extent otherwise and with Bug Buzz you can even take on scarf lati if you stay out of psyshock range.

Implemented, thanks for the check :) I'll just explain a bit why I did some of these things, but everything is implemented still:
In all honesty, unless there are some specific notable OHKOs or 2HKOs, I wouldn't even bother listing Modest as a viable option. That Speed tier is just too crowded, and being outsped by Jolly Lando is actually fucking disgusting.
Yeah, I tested it for a one or two games and I'll have to agree with you there's not much point in using it, it can guarantee the OHKO on Chansey but I guess its like a 93% roll already with Timid, so yeah Modest was a brainfart. I mean, most people wouldn't switch their Scarf Lando / Scarf Lele in but when they eventually sac it it would outspeed so for sure, Modest was a little dumb on my part.
Add Mega Pinsir cause that's a pretty big one. Lefties E Speed Zyg is really specific, and I would just say "E Speed Zyg" in general because almost all of its sets can potentially carry it and it needs to be scouted for.
I was a little too specific because my idea was to kind of mention less common priority users that can catch Volcarona by surprise, since most non Leftovers Zygarde do have ESpeed and very few that hold Leftovers actually have ESpeed, but overall I agree with you and it makes a lot more sense just to mention priority users in general. Added Sucker Punch and Talonflame as well, since TFlame is still C- I figured it still has a small niche in OU, and since it is pretty much one of the best Volcarona awnsers I felt like adding it make sense, but if you think its still too niche just hit me up and I'll remove it.
Not qc but latios/latias/tyranitar should probably be mentioned as Bug Buzz targets. They wall non-Bug Buzz volc to an extent otherwise and with Bug Buzz you can even take on scarf lati if you stay out of psyshock range.
I didn't mention it at first since Bug Buzz is like pretty much mandatory on this set due to the Swarm boost, but I guess its indeed still worth mentioning for less knowledgeable players that may read the analysis. Implemented :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Fire Blast is nearly mandatory on Volcarona
Fire Blast is absolutely mandatory unless you're taking Fiery Dance into account, just remove "nearly"
Additionally, watch out for potential priority users, Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, Quick Attack Mega Pinsir, Water Shuriken Greninja, double priority Mega Lopunny, Extreme Speed Zygarde, Talonflame
I think 6 is too many examples, I'd cut down a couple like Talonflame and Lop
Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex as Scald can't even break its Substitute at +1 SpD and Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it, Toxic and Substitute mind games may also happen, but are once again on Volcarona's favour
I would either remove this or specify non Haze Toxapex because most Toxapex run Haze

good job 2/3

good job 2/3
Implemented, thanks for the check. Congrats on QC btw, very deserved :]
Fire Blast is absolutely mandatory unless you're taking Fiery Dance into account, just remove "nearly"
Yeah, I thought mandatory was too strong of a word alone but now that I think about it, it is actually 100% mandatory :S
I would either remove this or specify non Haze Toxapex because most Toxapex run Haze
You have no idea how many games I've lost already by forgetting about Haze on Toxapex, I guess this analysis was no different :(

Also, realised I forgot to add Hawlucha, Mega Swampert, and Kingdra as Pokémon that can stop volc as well. Are they worth mentioning still, and should Excadrill be added to that list? Sand is pretty niche atm so idk, would like to hear QC's thoughts on it.

I'll try to write this up rn, but its like 0:25 AM and I really need to sleep, if I can't get it done by now I'll finish it tommorow afternoon.

EDIT: Managed to write it up! Fuck School I guess...

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex lacking Haze, as Scald can't even break its Substitute at +1 SpD and Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it, Toxic and Substitute mind games may also happen, but are once again on Volcarona's favour.
Clear up the wording on this sentence, I think you missed a word.

Tapu Fini deals with Greninja, Keldeo, Garchomp, Kingdra, and Infernape, and provides the aforementioned Defog support.
I don't think it's necessary for you to list off all of these Pokemon, I would cut the list down to say three.

Everything else looks fine to me. Just reread it before sending it to GP. QC 3/3

[SET]
name: SubSwarm
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Quiver Dance
item: Bugnium Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz reaches jaw-dropping (AH) levels of power when boosted by Swarm and a couple of Quiver Dances. It can be powered- (RH) (AS) up to a 175 Base Power Savage Spin-Out, (AC) which, when under Swarm, can achieves feats such as OHKOing Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, Toxapex at +2, (AC) and having a great shot at OHKOing Chansey at +3. Bug Buzz also helps against Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias, Pokéemon that are notorious to can easily check Volcarona that when it doesn't run the move. Fire Blast is mandatory on Volcarona (redundant) for hitting Magearna, Celesteela, and other Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz resists. Quiver Dance enables Volcarona to sweep through teams with relative ease due to the boost it gives to Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed; (RSC), (AC) while Substitute is used to shield Volcarona from Choice Scarf revenge killers (name-drop something) that can switch directly into it, forcing them to break Volcarona's its Substitute and allowing Volcarona to deal a decent amount of damage to them, (RC) in the process; (ASC) it is also helpful for easing setup on foes that can't break its Substitute or have status moves, such as Toxapex and Clefable, finally, Substitute and can also help Volcarona get to activate Swarm range if it facing a slower opponent.

Set Details
========

Swarm provides a huge boost to Volcarona's Bug-typed moves, making it essenctial to the success of this set along with Bugnium Z, which enables Volcarona to use a one-time (AH) Savage Spin-Out. Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs along with a Timid nature ensure Volcarona can outrun (outrun what?) and sweep more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, remove all Pokemon that could stop Volcarona before attempting to sweep, (RC) with it; (ASC) any potential Choice Scarf user must be removed unless you know you can guarantee that Volcarona can get 2 Quiver Dances or a Substitute up. Scout for Pokéemon that commonly run Choice Scarf sets, (AC) such as Greninja, Keldeo, Terrakion, and Latios, (AC) and if they are confirmed as Choice Scarf users, try to take them down before trying to sweep. Similarly, (AC) Hawlucha, Mega Swampert, and Kingdra can also outspeed +1 Volcarona if their abilities are successfully triggered, so keep that in mind. Furthermore, if your opponent switches one of the aforementioned Pokemon on Volcarona, go for Substitute as they switch in, (RC); (ASC) that way Volcarona guaranteses some chip damage on said revenge killer and can weaken it for its own sweep later throughout the match. Additionally, watch out for potential priority users, (RC) such as Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, Quick Attack Mega Pinsir, and Water Shuriken Greninja, and other obscure priority users could often that can stop Volcarona from sweeping, (RC) therefore; (ASC) always be aware of potential priority users and try to figure out their sets to leave HP to tank said priority moves.

As for set_up (RS) opportunities, Volcarona can easily set up on Chansey, (RC): (AC) Quiver Dance as Chansey switches in, then Substitute as Chansey uses Toxic. Just use Quiver Dance two more times and OHKO the Chansey, (RC); (ASC) while there could can still be some mind games though, but Volcarona can most of the time still beat it one-on-one most of the time. Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex lacking Haze, as Scald can't even break its Substitute at +1 SpD and after a Quiver Dance, while Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it, (RC); (ASC) mind games may also happen, but once again Volcarona has the upper hand. Finally, don't recklessly switch Volcarona into moves or into hazards if it is your only win condition. Volcarona, (AC) as it should always try to maintain its health for it to sweep late game.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is crucial for Volcarona to be able to set up. Teammates like Mew, Mega Scizor, Mantine, Latios, and Tapu Fini are great options for that reason. On more offensive teams, Kartana and Excadrill can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Additionally, Pokemon that can lure and knock out KO (Pokemon such as?) Heatran are very important, since Heatran is pretty much the ultimate awnswer to this set (elaborate). Focus Punch Mega Mawile also helps with Toxapex if running Thunder Punch, while Earthquake Mew and Surf Latios can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Also, awnswers to the typical Volcarona revenge killers (such as?) are important, (AC) since most of them can prevent a Volcarona sweep. Tapu Fini deals with Greninja, Keldeo, and Kingdra, and provides the aforementioned Defog support. Mega Diancie deserves a special mention due to its ability to bounce back Stealth Rock. Not only that but Earth Power can, catch Heatran off-guard with Earth Power if played well, and Diancie can also set up Stealth Rock of its own to pressure Volcarona checks (give examples). Tapu Lele also(this is the first mention) protects Volcarona against priority, which is specially useful for this set, (AC) since it Volcarona relies on being at low health to sweep with Swarm. Lele It can also lure Heatran and then KO with Z-Focus Blast All-Out-Pummeling. Ground-types like Zygarde, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill are also great picks thanks to their abilityies to deal with both Heatran and Toxapex, the two biggest roadblocks to this set.

Last edited:
[SET]
item: Bugnium Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz reaches jaw-dropping (AH) levels of power when boosted by Swarm and a couple of Quiver Dances. It can be powered- (RH) (AS) up to a 175 Base Power Savage Spin-Out, (AC) which, when under Swarm, can achieves feats such as OHKOing Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, Toxapex at +2, (AC) and having a great shot at OHKOing Chansey at +3. Bug Buzz also helps against Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias, Pokéemon that are notorious to can easily check Volcarona that when it doesn't run the move. Fire Blast is mandatory on Volcarona (redundant) for hitting Magearna, Celesteela, and other Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz resists. Quiver Dance enables Volcarona to sweep through teams with relative ease due to the boost it gives to Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed; (RSC), (AC) while Substitute is used to shield Volcarona from Choice Scarf revenge killers (name-drop something) that can switch directly into it, forcing them to break Volcarona's its Substitute and allowing Volcarona to deal a decent amount of damage to them, (RC) in the process; (ASC) it is also helpful for easing setup on foes that can't break its Substitute or have status moves, such as Toxapex and Clefable, finally, Substitute and can also help Volcarona get to activate Swarm range if it facing a slower opponent.

Set Details
========

Swarm provides a huge boost to Volcarona's Bug-typed moves, making it essenctial to the success of this set along with Bugnium Z, which enables Volcarona to use a one-time (AH) Savage Spin-Out. Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs along with a Timid nature ensure Volcarona can outrun (outrun what?) and sweep more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, remove all Pokemon that could stop Volcarona before attempting to sweep, (RC) with it; (ASC) any potential Choice Scarf user must be removed unless you know you can guarantee that Volcarona can get 2 Quiver Dances or a Substitute up. Scout for Pokéemon that commonly run Choice Scarf sets, (AC) such as Greninja, Keldeo, Terrakion, and Latios, (AC) and if they are confirmed as Choice Scarf users, try to take them down before trying to sweep. Similarly, (AC) Hawlucha, Mega Swampert, and Kingdra can also outspeed +1 Volcarona if their abilities are successfully triggered, so keep that in mind. Furthermore, if your opponent switches one of the aforementioned Pokemon on Volcarona, go for Substitute as they switch in, (RC); (ASC) that way Volcarona guaranteses some chip damage on said revenge killer and can weaken it for its own sweep later throughout the match. Additionally, watch out for potential priority users, (RC) such as Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, Quick Attack Mega Pinsir, and Water Shuriken Greninja, and other obscure priority users could often that can stop Volcarona from sweeping, (RC) therefore; (ASC) always be aware of potential priority users and try to figure out their sets to leave HP to tank said priority moves.

As for set_up (RS) opportunities, Volcarona can easily set up on Chansey, (RC): (AC) Quiver Dance as Chansey switches in, then Substitute as Chansey uses Toxic. Just use Quiver Dance two more times and OHKO the Chansey, (RC); (ASC) while there could can still be some mind games though, but Volcarona can most of the time still beat it one-on-one most of the time. Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex lacking Haze, as Scald can't even break its Substitute at +1 SpD and after a Quiver Dance, while Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it, (RC); (ASC) mind games may also happen, but once again Volcarona has the upper hand. Finally, don't recklessly switch Volcarona into moves or into hazards if it is your only win condition. Volcarona, (AC) as it should always try to maintain its health for it to sweep late game.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is crucial for Volcarona to be able to set up. Teammates like Mew, Mega Scizor, Mantine, Latios, and Tapu Fini are great options for that reason. On more offensive teams, Kartana and Excadrill can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Additionally, Pokemon that can lure and knock out KO (Pokemon such as?) Heatran are very important, since Heatran is pretty much the ultimate awnswer to this set (elaborate). Focus Punch Mega Mawile also helps with Toxapex if running Thunder Punch, while Earthquake Mew and Surf Latios can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Also, awnswers to the typical Volcarona revenge killers (such as?) are important, (AC) since most of them can prevent a Volcarona sweep. Tapu Fini deals with Greninja, Keldeo, and Kingdra, and provides the aforementioned Defog support. Mega Diancie deserves a special mention due to its ability to bounce back Stealth Rock. Not only that but Earth Power can, catch Heatran off-guard with Earth Power if played well, and Diancie can also set up Stealth Rock of its own to pressure Volcarona checks (give examples). Tapu Lele also(this is the first mention) protects Volcarona against priority, which is specially useful for this set, (AC) since it Volcarona relies on being at low health to sweep with Swarm. Lele It can also lure Heatran and then KO with Z-Focus Blast All-Out-Pummeling. Ground-types like Zygarde, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill are also great picks thanks to their abilityies to deal with both Heatran and Toxapex, the two biggest roadblocks to this set.
Implemented, thanks for the check and sorry for the many errors I let throught. I'll try to be a little more careful next time I check my own grammar :(

It can be powered up to a 175 Base Power Savage Spin-Out, which, when under Swarm, can achieve feats such as OHKOing Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, Toxapex at +2, and a great shot at OHKOing Chansey at +3.
Change this sentence to "It can be powered up to a 175-Base Power Savage Spin-Out, which, when boosted by Swarm, can always OHKO Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, and Toxapex at +2, as well as often OHKOing Chansey at +3."

Other than that the amcheck above is cool for GP 1/2.

Change this sentence to "It can be powered up to a 175-Base Power Savage Spin-Out, which, when boosted by Swarm, can always OHKO Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, and Toxapex at +2, as well as often OHKOing Chansey at +3."

Other than that the amcheck above is cool for GP 1/2.
Implemented, nice GP stamp btw :)

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Noice
[SET]
item: Bugnium Z Buginium Z

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz reaches jaw-dropping levels of power when boosted by Swarm and a couple of Quiver Dances. It can be powered up to a 175-Base Power Savage Spin-Out, which, when boosted by Swarm, can always OHKO Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Camerupt at +1, and always OHKO Toxapex at +2, as well as and often OHKOing Chansey at +3. Bug Buzz also helps against Tyranitar, Latios, and Latias, Pokemon that are notoriously able to check Volcarona when it doesn't run the move. Fire Blast is mandatory for hitting Magearna, Celesteela, and other Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz. Quiver Dance enables Volcarona to sweep through teams with relative ease due to the boost it gives to Special Attack, Special Defense, (AC) and Speed, while Substitute is used to shield Volcarona from Choice Scarf revenge killers like Greninja and Keldeo that can switch directly into it, forcing them to break its Substitute and allowing Volcarona to deal a decent amount of damage to them in the process; it is also helpful for easing setup on foes that can't break its Substitute or that have status moves, such as Toxapex and Clefable, and can also help Volcarona activate Swarm if facing a slower opponent foe.

Set Details
========

Swarm provides a huge boost to Volcarona's Bug-type moves, making it essential to the success of this set along with Bugnium Buginium Z, which enables Volcarona to use a one-time Savage Spin-Out. Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs along with a Timid nature ensure that Volcarona can outrun Pokemon like Scarf Tapu Lele and Scarf Landorus-T, (RC) as well as sweep more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

First and foremost, remove all Pokemon that could stop Volcarona before attempting to sweep with it; any potential Choice Scarf user must be removed unless you know you can guarantee that Volcarona can get 2 two Quiver Dances or a Substitute up. Scout for Pokemon that commonly run Choice Scarf sets, such as Greninja, Keldeo, Terrakion, and Latios, and if they are confirmed as Choice Scarf users, try to take them down before trying to sweep. Similarly, Hawlucha, Mega Swampert, and Kingdra can also outspeed +1 Volcarona if their abilities are successfully triggered, so keep that in mind. Furthermore, if your opponent switches one of the aforementioned Pokemon on Volcarona, go for Substitute as they switch in; that way Volcarona guarantees some chip damage on said revenge killer and can weaken it for its own sweep later throughout the match. Additionally, watch out for potential priority users such as Sucker Punch Mega Mawile, Quick Attack Mega Pinsir, and Water Shuriken Greninja that can stop Volcarona from sweeping; always be aware of potential priority users and try to figure out their sets to leave enough HP to tank said priority moves.

As for setup opportunities, Volcarona can easily set up on Chansey: use Quiver Dance as Chansey switches in, then use Substitute as Chansey uses Toxic. Just use Quiver Dance two more times and OHKO the Chansey with Savage Spin-Out; while there can still be some mind games, Volcarona can still beat it one-on-one most of the time. Volcarona can also set up on Toxapex lacking Haze, as Scald can't even break its Substitute at after a Quiver Dance, while Volcarona only needs two Quiver Dances to OHKO it; mind games may also happen, but once again Volcarona has the upper hand. Finally, don't recklessly switch Volcarona into moves or into hazards if it is your only win condition, as it should always try to maintain its health for it to sweep late-game. (AH)

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is crucial for Volcarona to be able to set up. Teammates like Mew, Mega Scizor, Mantine, Latios, and Tapu Fini are great options for that reason. On more offensive teams, Kartana and Excadrill can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Additionally, Pokemon that can lure and KO Heatran are very important, since Heatran is pretty much the ultimate answer to this set: good options include Focus Punch Mega Mawile, which also helps with Toxapex if running Thunder Punch, Earthquake Mew, and Surf Latios, both of which can also remove hazards for Volcarona. Also, answers to the typical Volcarona revenge killers are important, since most of them can prevent a Volcarona sweep. Tapu Fini deals with Greninja, Keldeo, and Kingdra, (RC) and provides the aforementioned Defog support. Mega Diancie deserves a special mention due to its ability to bounce back Stealth Rock, (RC) and catch Heatran off-guard with Earth Power if played well. Tapu Lele protects Volcarona against priority, which is especially useful for this set, since Volcarona relies on being at low health to sweep with Swarm. It can also lure Heatran and then KO it with All-Out Pummeling. (RH between Out and Pummeling) Ground-types like Zygarde, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill are also great picks thanks to their ability to deal with both Heatran and Toxapex, the two biggest roadblocks to this set.

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)