Volcarona【QC: 2/3】

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
HP Rock is useful for getting around the common Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y switch-ins, outpacing and OHKOing the latter at +1, meaning that it can't switch in even if you don't predict and start setting up, and OHKOing the former upon switch-in without any boosts, assuming the targets are at full health, and I believe that it deserves a moves mention, if not a slash with Roost, for that utility:
  • 0 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 304-360 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 0 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 200-236 (67.3 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 0 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 296-352 (99.6 - 118.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no. while hp rock may have some use in checking talonflame and megazard-y, that's all it can check. since the volcarona set in this analysis runs 0 special attack evs, hp rock is piss weak, even against its normal targets. as an example, volcarona isn't guaranteed the 2hko against 0 / 4 dragonite (even without multiscale) and bulky dragon dance megazard-x (it can only 2hko w/ sr on the field) without a boost. i'll probably give it an oo mention at best, but i'm more inclined not to mention it at all.

Trinitrotoluene

248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe Bold

should be the spread. Outspeeding Greninja at +1 is the ideal benchmark and even though getting past deo-S at +2 isnt that relevant its nice to move first to avoid knock offs, or if youre severely damaged and its literally 4 more EVs.

Also, Volcarona has a tough time getting past Chansey, so emphasis on wall breakers that have an easy time switching in on Chansey's toxics (mega mawile) or lures (knock off lando-i) would be ideal.

Other than that this analysis looks pretty good. Though we require 4 stamps for analysis now, this one received 2 before the policy had changed so you can change the title to QC: 2/3 and get to writing~
Actually, if outspeeding Greninja is the benchmark you're going for, that only needs 64 Spd. Greninja's max Speed is 377, and 252 x 1.5 = 378, while 253 x 1.5 = 379 (actually 379.5, but Poke-math rounding). So the EV spread should be 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spd Bold.

(Is it Spd or Spe?? All of us Smogon-posters use Spe, but Showdown and its exports use Spd. It's infuriating.)

Actually, if outspeeding Greninja is the benchmark you're going for, that only needs 64 Spd. Greninja's max Speed is 377, and 252 x 1.5 = 378, while 253 x 1.5 = 379 (actually 379.5, but Poke-math rounding). So the EV spread should be 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spd Bold.

(Is it Spd or Spe?? All of us Smogon-posters use Spe, but Showdown and its exports use Spd. It's infuriating.)
That spread is also designed to outspeed Deoxys-S at +2, and you need 68 Spe EVs to do that.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so volc was brought up on ps maybe last week and valentine brought up a good point: giga drain is needed for volc to be successful atm. hitting bd and ~75ish av azumarill (cb ohkoes with aqua jet), keldeo, and non-scarf terrakion, as well as just the extra recovery on weakened threats that you can ko with +1 giga and preventing quag from getting of a toxic, is really important and useful. i hadn't used volc this gen and tested out both bulky and offensive lo variants. i found bulky variants really difficult to sweep with, just lacking the +1 power and coverage to do the job. offensive qd has a lot more power to work with (+1 fire blast and even bug buzz are really strong, there's definitely some kos that i can edit in later when i have more time) and the extra coverage to sweep in front of these massive threats. this is what i'm talking about:

Offensive Quiver Dance
########
name: Offensive Quiver Dance
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Giga Drain
ability: Flame Body
item: Life Orb
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
nature: Modest

evs outrun jolly mega ttar, not really much reason to go any faster unless timid to outrun jolly scarf exca, but you lose a good chunk of power and moreover bulk.

i don't support defensive qd volc atm, it really just has too much trouble sweeping. was a lot better in luc/gene meta. this set is more effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)