ORAS OU Volcanion-Based Semistall

Before I start:
Alright, I kind of want to take you guys through the process of making this team. I'm going to start with the team-building process, move on to the individual Pokemon, and finish up with a team overview and threat list. Let's see how well that goes, and see if I can stick to the plan while writing.

Team-Building Process

volcanion.png Volcanion - After coming back from a long hiatus of God-knows-how-long, I noticed a few changes to OU. If memory serves me correctly - and it probably doesn't - Volcanion, Azelf, Raikou, Tangrowth, Tornadus-T, and Amoonguss weren't OU before. I was thinking to myself I gotta catch up. I figured the best way to do this was, obviously, look up their sets and try them out. Volcanion was the only "new" Pokemon so I decided to base a team around it. The other Pokemon did what I expected them to do in the OU tier so I thought Volcanion would be best. Now, I have to make a team around it.

volcanion.png skarmory.png chansey.png Volcanion has 3 weaknesses: Rock, Ground, and Electric. Naturally, I should cover these weaknesses. The Rock and Ground weaknesses mean that Volcanion is epecially weak to entry hazard damage, too. Therefore, I need a reliable Magic Bounce User, Spinner, or Defogger to mitigate that a bit. At first, I had the team set up with M-Diancie, Ferrothorn, Volcanion, Chansey, Gliscor, and Zygarde just for experimentation. That team quickly staled at around 1600 on ladder, and I tilted into 1300s. If my team ran into a team that knew how to keep hazards on the field, it could be over easily. Therefore, revamping was needed, and I saw a great need to keep hazards at bay or neutralized. My solution, as it stands now, is Chansey and Skarmory as a solid core. Skarmory keeps hazards from damaging a good chunk of my team with Defog, and Chansey is able to use wish to heal anyone that wants to switch into that damage. They, also, cover Volcanion's weaknesses quite well, including strong neutral damage.

volcanion.png skarmory.png chansey.png hippowdon.png amoonguss.png But that's not enough... I decided that Skarmory should not be running both Defog and Stealth Rock. I need to stop setup some way as well. I would like better answers to Breloom, M-Metagross, Keldeo, and some others. I would, also, like to grab momentum more often. Hippowdon and Amoonguss add defensive redundancy and each have their own way to stop setup sweepers so they ended up being good fits for this team.

volcanion.png skarmory.png chansey.png hippowdon.png amoonguss.png heracross.png For some reason, out of all the Pokemon I tried in the last slot (M-Diancie, Zygarde, and Magnezone included) Mega Heracross worked for me far better than anything else. Putting up substitute is something that really puts the heat on.

The Team

volcanion.png

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

This Volcanion set is meant to hit the hardest it can while still outspeeding or speed-tying with things like Defensive Lando-T, Breloom, M-Scizor, Gliscor, and opposing Volcanion. Steam Eruption is manditory as it packs the strongest STAB damage Volcanion has to offer while offering a 30% burn chance. Fire Blast is used over Flamethrower to guarantee at least 10% more damage than Wallbreaker Charizard-Y can Roost away in the Sun , guarantee over 55% damage to Defensive M-Venusaur in clear weather, and to more heavily damage resisted switch-ins like Rotom-W (which has a 25.8% chance to be 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage with Leftovers recovery). That makes Fire Blast a better blanket move while looking at the opponent's team in most cases. Sludge Bomb and Earth Power are for coverage against Fairies, Grasses, Rocks, Fires, Steels, and Electrics that may switch in or are slow enough to be KOed. Moves with Volcanion must be picked while carefully looking at the opponent's team. For example, if Ferrothorn, Politoed, and Tornadus-T were set up on the opponent's team, and you were facing a Ferrothorn in the Rain, you would probably want to go with Steam Eruption. It may do under 50% to Utility Ferrothorn, but it will still get the job done and it has a good chance to OHKO Assault Vest Tornadus-T while having a nifty burn chance on whatever decides to stay in or not. Volcanion has the ability to come in on little things here and there, but it's best to know your situations and not lose it to switching in on Keldeo's Secret Sword or something. Rather, with this team, it's best to switch in on almost nothing and bring it out after something is KOed, and/or you can get a Wish passed to you for full-health confrontations against, maybe, something that is predicted to use Knock Off like Mew, Mandibuzz, or Weavile.

skarmory.png

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 28 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Roost

For this Skarmory set, I used the Specially Defensive variant with small deviations to support my team. Skarmory was chosen to, mainly, deal with Lando-T and to remove hazards from the field. That isn't to say it's all she's good for. Certain situations call for Skarmory to be called out instead of Chansey because Chansey has to use two turns to heal off Psyshock attacks, and they may have something that can set up (Latios uses Psyshock on my Chansey switch-in/I use wish while they switch to Dragonite). If I just had Skarmory switch in on Latios instead of Chansey and Roost off the damage, he may be forced to switch without dealing damage to a Pokemon over time (even better if I have Rocks up, meaning two Pokemon probably just got SR damage), and I have a chance to throw Toxic at Latios if it Roosts instead. I chose Specially Defensive because it meant having a better chance to deal with Lati-twins, Tankchomp, M-Diancie, and CM Clefable as well as having something to allow Chansey to not have to switch in as much. Against the aforementioned Pokemon, Skarmory can use Iron Head or Toxic or both to wear them down. Rocky Helmet was an important item choice over Leftovers because it simply meant I could hurt Dragon Tail and U-Turn users more easily. If no Rocks are on the field because of Defog, I still have the ability to do damage passively, too. EDITED SET: CHANGED TO A MORE DEFENSIVE VARIANT TO BETTER DEAL WITH WEAVILE AND STILL PERFORM A SIMILAR ROLE - or - BRAVE BIRD FOR MEDICHAM

chansey.png

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Because we have a good deal of defensive and specially defensive redundancy on this team, Chansey gets to come out on fewer things so it doesn't take as much damage as it would on other teams from switching in while running this set. The important things to switch this thing in on, though, are, usually, things like higher Special Attack Fire-Types, Psychic-Types, and Serperior. Chansey is a Wish passer first and foremost on this team. She should try to keep the team healthy so they can continue dealing damage. Toxic and Protect mold well with Wish as it allows Chansey to stall out Pokemon and Heal itself effectively while Seismic Toss is used to give some more offensive pressure on Toxic Stalling as well as do damage on switch-ins that resist Toxic, and take out Magic Guard 'Zam without Recover. Protect is ran over Softboiled because Skarmory or Chansey could have Toxic'd prior and Protect can stall out strong physical attackers for one more move (it also scouts choice-locked moves).

hippowdon.png

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Skarmory doesn't have Whirlwind or Taunt, so there may be things that can set up in its face. I, also, need entry hazards. Talonflame's scary, too. Thus, Hippowdon. I invested nothing in Hippowdon's Special Defense because I have checks and counters for powerful special attackers. Instead, I opted to use Hippowdon as a Defensive Pivot that can lay down Rocks and Whirlwind away certain physical Setup Sweepers my team couldn't, otherwise, deal with. Whirlwind is also good for shuffling around the opponent's team on the Rocks and easing prediction for a switchout. Earthquake allows Hippowdon to deal heavy damage to Pokemon like Ttar, Roosting birds, frail pokes, Steel-Types, and Charizard-X. Sand Force was the Ability of choice for a couple reasons: residual damage is bad for some of my team members and Sand Force gets Hippowdon a guaranteed 2HKO on most TTar. Four Speed EVs were given to Hippowdon just to outspeed other Hippowdon without investment.

amoonguss.png

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Amoonguss is another Pokemon added to stop Setup Sweepers. This time, it's mostly for the special attackers. However, Amoonguss can stop a few physical Setup Sweepers if need be. It's, also, very versatile switching in and out with Regenerator. While still being able to come in on things the other team members can as a better option for them, Amoonguss can, also, come in on many things the others cannot such as Keldeo, Breloom, and Azumarill. The moveset is very specific. Clear Smog is for the setup Moves the opponent will try to use. Spore can stop a switchin or the current-facing Pokemon from moving, and it allows a momentum shift for Mega Heracross to set up a Sub or Volcanion to come in and launch an attack. Hidden Power Fire is so that Scizor and Ferrothorn have one less Pokemon they feel safe against.

heracross.png
arrowPointingRight.jpeg
mega heracross.png

Heracross (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Atk / 32 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Mega Heracross is a big Sweeper in this Semistall team. Usually, it comes in on something that was put to sleep by Amoonguss and sets up a Substitute. However, it doesn't always need to cut HP. It can simply hit hard and switch out. Like Volcanion, receiving Wishes from Chansey can allow it to sponge a hit on something it resists like Weavile's Knock Off, and proceed to threaten it out or KO it. The set is bread-and-butter Bulky Wallbreaker with a minor adjustment. Someone needs to fix the suggested Speed EVs for the set for outrunning Rotom-W because Rotom-W tends to run 8 Spe EVS - not 0. That's why my Mega Heracross has 100 Spe EVs - so it can outrun Defensive Rotom-W. The other EVs are standard except Defense which was pooled together for the remaining EVs as suggested by the Strategy Dex's Bulky Wallbreaker set details. It has resistances to Fighting, Dark, Bug, Grass, and Ground - one of which no one else resists (Dark), and one of which only one other Pokemon is immune to (Ground - Skarmory). Finally, Moxie is used for that seldom chance to snatch a KO and boost Attack when it is better to do so than set up a Substitute.

Team Overview

This is the hard part for me - summing it all up. I don't know how to very well, and I'm not sure I want to try very hard. HOWEVER! Hippowdon, Skarmory, Chansey, and Amoonguss form a very strong defensive core with the latter two being the main ones to set up opportunities for Volcanion and Mega Heracross to sweep through Wish and Spore. Stealth Rock helps Volcanion and Heracross power through, and they, also, weaken foes that want to constantly switch out. Toxic and Recovery Moves and Abilities help wear down the opponent while keeping the team alive, and Defog gets rid of unwanted hazards. There is defensive redundancy in which certain Pokemon can cover the slot when another cannot making it easier to change plans and confuse the opponent. Move coverage and role coverage is done well, and this team doesn't have a hard time against any type of team I can think of in particular.

Threat List(that I'm aware could be a threat)
Kyurem-B (wallbreaker is tough)
Gengar (can be difficult if it has the right moveset)
Magnezone (have to play around well or let skarm die at some point)
Mew (stallbreaker - really weird to play around and I have to tack on damage here and there)
There's probably more, but it's hard to think of some.

Thank you
For anyone who is willing to make this team better, give me advice, and offer any feedback on this team. I'm only one man, and I really appreciate it. :)

Current ranking (Honestly, I never feel like laddering. After going to rank 1300, it was all I could do to just go this far and say, "Ok, that's good enough. You got back to where you were before easily and then a bit further easily. You're fine now.")

Last edited:
Hey StrokeOfHail cool team. I like how it's a nice defensive team built upon pivoting between godly walls and then breaking through the opponents walls's with strong attackers. However, you team has a few issues that we can hopefully correct. One of these big issues is your team's matchup against Talonflame. Talonflame is able to blow through a majority of your team, like MegaHera, Volcanion, Skarmory, and Amoonguss. While Hippo and Chansey can handle it in their own right, Talonflame will cause a plethora of issues to your team. Another Pokemon that can be trouble to your team, especially your defensive core, is Keldeo. Keldeo is able to hit Chansey, Skarmory, and Hippowdon with strong STAB attacks that can just demolish your team. While Amoonguss is nice way to deal with it, it is 2HKOd after SR by Specs Icy Wind. Finally, to top the icing off on the cake, Pokemon like Weavile and AV/LO Tornadus-T can strike your team hard. Both Pokemon carry the ability to remove Chansey's Eviolite with Knock Off and can hit a large majority of the team with their respective coverage moves, like Icicle Crash and Low Kick from Weavile and Hurricane and Heat Wave/Superpower from Tornadus. AV Tornadus-T is especially threatening because it is able to eat up hits from Volcanion and hit back hard with Hurricane. Lets get started :)

On your Volcanion set, an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA is better than the current fast spread you have right now. Volcanion is not really the fastest Pokemon in the tier, and the Pokemon you listed that it outspeeds are not really Pokemon Volcanion should be staying in against. Pokemon like Landorus-T can carry a heavy-hitting STAB Earthquake and can OHKO Volcanion, hiding a Choice Scarf. Breloom can hit hard with Technician Bullet Seed and has a small chance to OHKO Volcanion with Bullet Seed after a SR switch-in, not to mention that Breloom can carry a Focus Sash. Running a bulky set is was Volcanion was meant to do. The increased bulk allows you to take on threats like Keldeo better, and allows Volcanion to not be OHKOd by Scarf Landorus-T's Earthquake (without SR damage). The extra bulk also turns AV Tornados-T's Hurricane into a move with a 23% chance to 2HKO, and not a guaranteed 2HKO. It is also worth noting that HP Grass can be run on Volcanion to hit Pokemon like Keldeo and Rotom-Wash for a SuperEffective hit, and Volcanion already has the ability to hit Heatran with Steam Eruption so Earth Power isn't really necessary.

Skarmory + Chansey form a tough-to-beat defensive core, but it's not the SpDef Skarmory that makes this core. Despite the Eviolite boost and maximum Defense investment, Chansey suffers from a horrible Base 5 Defense. Thankfully, Skarmory is able to patch up Chansey's defense stat with its great Base 140. Running a fully Physical Skarmory gives your team a better chance against threats like Excadrill, Weavile, and Talonflame. Phys Def Skarm also increases your team's chances against strong attackers in the ranks of Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Scizor. I would also opt for Leftovers on Skarm over Rocky Helmet, the passive recovery is what makes the difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO. Toxic is nice on Skarmory, but you may find it more beneficial to run Stealth Rocks, as Skarmory is able to switch into a plethora of attacks compared to Hippo, and avoid the 2HKO, allowing Skarm to more consistently get up hazards. You may find it useful to run Whirlwind on Skarmory due to it's ability to tank any one boosted hit with Sturdy and Whirlwind out the set up sweeper. The only really noticeable downside to running a Phys Def Skarm as opposed to a SpDef Skarm is that Fairy Types like Clefable and Mega Gardevoir is able to do more damage to Skarm as it loses its special defense defense investment. Chansey is your team's best answer to these offensive threats, being only 3HKOd by Psyshock from Mega Gardevoir and being 3HKOd by +6 Moonblast from Clefable.

Your Chansey set is neat, maximizing the defenses that Chansey has to take the full advantage of the Eviolite, but an alternate spread of 248 HP / 252 Def w/ a Bold Nature would be better, especially due to the fact that you have Chansey as a WishPasser. This alternate spread maximizes Chansey's HP and Physical bulk, and allows it to pass even larger wishes to Heracross and Volcanion. Toxic is a nice addition to Chansey, but you may find that Thunder Wave comes in handy more often. Thunder Wave allows you to check the likes of Charizard Y, Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and even Charizard X to a degree (although Chansey is 2HKOd with no DD boost so I'd be careful about that). Thunder Wave opens the door for Volcanon and MegaHera to come in and outspeed threats that they normally wouldn't. This is especially handy in the case of LO Latios, who does up to 97% to Volcanion and can do 97% to MegaHera. Thanks the paralysis, MegaHera can find a way to switch in to Latios (probably when one of your mons is KOd) and easily revenge kill it by going for Pin Missile. Chansey does have to be careful with LO Latios' Psyshock though, as it is pretty much a 3HKO.

-->

Hippowdon is a nice addition to your team, but it's role can easily be compressed into Skarmory and its moveset. The addition of Rotom-Wash to your team provides with with momentum generation in Volt Switch. The use of Volt Switch allows Mega Heracross to come is easily and get a KO on numerous Pokemon. Rotom also has access to both Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp, and both greatly benefit your team. Will-o-Wisp can cripple physical attackers and allow both Chansey and Skarm to wall them with great ease. Thunder Wave is nice but is usually dropped for Will-o, but it does have its uses. Thunder Wave benefits MegaHera greatly, as Rotom is able to cripple faster attackers like Alakazam, Tornadus-T, and Keldeo. MegaHera is then able to come in through Volt Switch and hit hard with either Pin Missile or Rock Blast. Rotom greatly improves your teams chances against Talonflame, Keldeo, and Tornadus-T, three of the largest threats I highlighted in the first paragraph, and it also creates a strong FWG core with Volcanion and Amoonguss. Rotom-Wash completely walls Talonflame, being 5HKOd by the CB variant, and Tornadus-T, being only 4HKOd by LO Hurricane. Keldeo has a small chance to 2HKO with Specs Secret Sword, but it doesn't appreciate taking a Volt Switch. Unfortunately, running Rotom-Wash instead of Hippowdon increases the viability and volatility of Mega Lopunny against your team. Mega Lopunny suddenly becomes very good against a large part of your team.

Quick Tips:
  • Mega Lopunny is very volatile against your team. The best answers to the Bunny are probably Amoonguss (who takes at Max 45.9% from Ice Punch and 46.8% from Return) and Mega Heracross, who OHKOs with CC and at most takes 49% from Return. Mega Heracross cannot be 2HKO'd by Mega Lopunny.
  • LO Latios can be difficult for the team to handle, as Chansey is the only real switch in the team has, and is 3HKOd by Psyshock. Chansey is pretty much the only way to deal with Latios, and it isn't the best way. I debated switching out Hippowdon for Tyranitar, but decided that it made the team too weak to Mega Lopunny.
  • Skarmory's moveset will differ depending on what you think is needed most on the team. Hazard removal is necessary with Volcanion, but Whirlwind is not. Should you find the team too weak to set-up sweepers Whirlwind is a viable option on Skarmory. If you decide that Whirlwind or phasing is absolutely necessary on the team, Chansey can run SR instead of Skarmory, opening up a slot for Whirlwind.
  • Charizard X is a large problem with the removal of Hippowdon, but it needs to be +3 to have a chance to OHKO Rotom. Rotom can take at least one +2 hit and go for the Thunder Wave, allowing Volcanion to hit it with a powerful Steam Eruption, but it is 2HKOd at +1.
  • Mega Medicham absolutely blows through this team. Your best way to handle it (atm, I have something in the works for you) is probably to revenge kill it with a Brave Bird from Skarmory, which has a decent chance to OHKO the monk.
Overall the team was pretty solid to begin with, and it was hard finding replacements for some of the Pokemon, Hippowdon especially. I decided to remove Hippo because it was a little redundant with Skarmory on the team, as it's roles can be easily compressed into Skarmory, who is arguably a better SR setter and phaser. The defensive core of Skarmory and Chansey is what I tried to edit the team around, providing better answers to Pokemon that can trouble the core like Tornadus T (who can hit Skarm with a Heat Wave and Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite or hit it with a SuperPower) and Weavile, who can easily wear down Skarmory and Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite. Mega Heracross is a great offensive Mega Evolution, but also supports the team defensively as well, although it is weak to Latios and Tornadus-T, as well as Talonflame. Hopefully you find these changes to be optimal to your play style, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. And... I think I covered everything I wanted too. If I figure out I missed something I'll update you and ninja edit this post lol

Enjoy n_n

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Whirlwind (if SR is run on Chansey only)
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head / Brave Bird

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell / Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Pain Split / Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Hey StrokeOfHail cool team. I like how it's a nice defensive team built upon pivoting between godly walls and then breaking through the opponents walls's with strong attackers. However, you team has a few issues that we can hopefully correct. One of these big issues is your team's matchup against Talonflame. Talonflame is able to blow through a majority of your team, like MegaHera, Volcanion, Skarmory, and Amoonguss. While Hippo and Chansey can handle it in their own right, Talonflame will cause a plethora of issues to your team. Another Pokemon that can be trouble to your team, especially your defensive core, is Keldeo. Keldeo is able to hit Chansey, Skarmory, and Hippowdon with strong STAB attacks that can just demolish your team. While Amoonguss is nice way to deal with it, it is 2HKOd after SR by Specs Icy Wind. Finally, to top the icing off on the cake, Pokemon like Weavile and AV/LO Tornadus-T can strike your team hard. Both Pokemon carry the ability to remove Chansey's Eviolite with Knock Off and can hit a large majority of the team with their respective coverage moves, like Icicle Crash and Low Kick from Weavile and Hurricane and Heat Wave/Superpower from Tornadus. AV Tornadus-T is especially threatening because it is able to eat up hits from Volcanion and hit back hard with Hurricane. Lets get started :)

On your Volcanion set, an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA is better than the current fast spread you have right now. Volcanion is not really the fastest Pokemon in the tier, and the Pokemon you listed that it outspeeds are not really Pokemon Volcanion should be staying in against. Pokemon like Landorus-T can carry a heavy-hitting STAB Earthquake and can OHKO Volcanion, hiding a Choice Scarf. Breloom can hit hard with Technician Bullet Seed and has a small chance to OHKO Volcanion with Bullet Seed after a SR switch-in, not to mention that Breloom can carry a Focus Sash. Running a bulky set is was Volcanion was meant to do. The increased bulk allows you to take on threats like Keldeo better, and allows Volcanion to not be OHKOd by Scarf Landorus-T's Earthquake (without SR damage). The extra bulk also turns AV Tornados-T's Hurricane into a move with a 23% chance to 2HKO, and not a guaranteed 2HKO. It is also worth noting that HP Grass can be run on Volcanion to hit Pokemon like Keldeo and Rotom-Wash for a SuperEffective hit, and Volcanion already has the ability to hit Heatran with Steam Eruption so Earth Power isn't really necessary.

Skarmory + Chansey form a tough-to-beat defensive core, but it's not the SpDef Skarmory that makes this core. Despite the Eviolite boost and maximum Defense investment, Chansey suffers from a horrible Base 5 Defense. Thankfully, Skarmory is able to patch up Chansey's defense stat with its great Base 140. Running a fully Physical Skarmory gives your team a better chance against threats like Excadrill, Weavile, and Talonflame. Phys Def Skarm also increases your team's chances against strong attackers in the ranks of Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Scizor. I would also opt for Leftovers on Skarm over Rocky Helmet, the passive recovery is what makes the difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO. Toxic is nice on Skarmory, but you may find it more beneficial to run Stealth Rocks, as Skarmory is able to switch into a plethora of attacks compared to Hippo, and avoid the 2HKO, allowing Skarm to more consistently get up hazards. You may find it useful to run Whirlwind on Skarmory due to it's ability to tank any one boosted hit with Sturdy and Whirlwind out the set up sweeper. The only really noticeable downside to running a Phys Def Skarm as opposed to a SpDef Skarm is that Fairy Types like Clefable and Mega Gardevoir is able to do more damage to Skarm as it loses its special defense defense investment. Chansey is your team's best answer to these offensive threats, being only 3HKOd by Psyshock from Mega Gardevoir and being 3HKOd by +6 Moonblast from Clefable.

Your Chansey set is neat, maximizing the defenses that Chansey has to take the full advantage of the Eviolite, but an alternate spread of 248 HP / 252 Def w/ a Bold Nature would be better, especially due to the fact that you have Chansey as a WishPasser. This alternate spread maximizes Chansey's HP and Physical bulk, and allows it to pass even larger wishes to Heracross and Volcanion. Toxic is a nice addition to Chansey, but you may find that Thunder Wave comes in handy more often. Thunder Wave allows you to check the likes of Charizard Y, Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and even Charizard X to a degree (although Chansey is 2HKOd with no DD boost so I'd be careful about that). Thunder Wave opens the door for Volcanon and MegaHera to come in and outspeed threats that they normally wouldn't. This is especially handy in the case of LO Latios, who does up to 97% to Volcanion and can do 97% to MegaHera. Thanks the paralysis, MegaHera can find a way to switch in to Latios (probably when one of your mons is KOd) and easily revenge kill it by going for Pin Missile. Chansey does have to be careful with LO Latios' Psyshock though, as it is pretty much a 3HKO.

-->

Hippowdon is a nice addition to your team, but it's role can easily be compressed into Skarmory and its moveset. The addition of Rotom-Wash to your team provides with with momentum generation in Volt Switch. The use of Volt Switch allows Mega Heracross to come is easily and get a KO on numerous Pokemon. Rotom also has access to both Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp, and both greatly benefit your team. Will-o-Wisp can cripple physical attackers and allow both Chansey and Skarm to wall them with great ease. Thunder Wave is nice but is usually dropped for Will-o, but it does have its uses. Thunder Wave benefits MegaHera greatly, as Rotom is able to cripple faster attackers like Alakazam, Tornadus-T, and Keldeo. MegaHera is then able to come in through Volt Switch and hit hard with either Pin Missile or Rock Blast. Rotom greatly improves your teams chances against Talonflame, Keldeo, and Tornadus-T, three of the largest threats I highlighted in the first paragraph, and it also creates a strong FWG core with Volcanion and Amoonguss. Rotom-Wash completely walls Talonflame, being 5HKOd by the CB variant, and Tornadus-T, being only 4HKOd by LO Hurricane. Keldeo has a small chance to 2HKO with Specs Secret Sword, but it doesn't appreciate taking a Volt Switch. Unfortunately, running Rotom-Wash instead of Hippowdon increases the viability and volatility of Mega Lopunny against your team. Mega Lopunny suddenly becomes very good against a large part of your team.

Quick Tips:
  • Mega Lopunny is very volatile against your team. The best answers to the Bunny are probably Amoonguss (who takes at Max 45.9% from Ice Punch and 46.8% from Return) and Mega Heracross, who OHKOs with CC and at most takes 49% from Return. Mega Heracross cannot be 2HKO'd by Mega Lopunny.
  • LO Latios can be difficult for the team to handle, as Chansey is the only real switch in the team has, and is 3HKOd by Psyshock. Chansey is pretty much the only way to deal with Latios, and it isn't the best way. I debated switching out Hippowdon for Tyranitar, but decided that it made the team too weak to Mega Lopunny.
  • Skarmory's moveset will differ depending on what you think is needed most on the team. Hazard removal is necessary with Volcanion, but Whirlwind is not. Should you find the team too weak to set-up sweepers Whirlwind is a viable option on Skarmory. If you decide that Whirlwind or phasing is absolutely necessary on the team, Chansey can run SR instead of Skarmory, opening up a slot for Whirlwind.
  • Charizard X is a large problem with the removal of Hippowdon, but it needs to be +3 to have a chance to OHKO Rotom. Rotom can take at least one +2 hit and go for the Thunder Wave, allowing Volcanion to hit it with a powerful Steam Eruption, but it is 2HKOd at +1.
  • Mega Medicham absolutely blows through this team. Your best way to handle it (atm, I have something in the works for you) is probably to revenge kill it with a Brave Bird from Skarmory, which has a decent chance to OHKO the monk.
Overall the team was pretty solid to begin with, and it was hard finding replacements for some of the Pokemon, Hippowdon especially. I decided to remove Hippo because it was a little redundant with Skarmory on the team, as it's roles can be easily compressed into Skarmory, who is arguably a better SR setter and phaser. The defensive core of Skarmory and Chansey is what I tried to edit the team around, providing better answers to Pokemon that can trouble the core like Tornadus T (who can hit Skarm with a Heat Wave and Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite or hit it with a SuperPower) and Weavile, who can easily wear down Skarmory and Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite. Mega Heracross is a great offensive Mega Evolution, but also supports the team defensively as well, although it is weak to Latios and Tornadus-T, as well as Talonflame. Hopefully you find these changes to be optimal to your play style, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. And... I think I covered everything I wanted too. If I figure out I missed something I'll update you and ninja edit this post lol

Enjoy n_n

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head / Brave Bird

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
First, I would like to say, "thank you for taking the time to rate my team." Your suggestions have left me with some great ideas and choices to make. I, especially, like Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp allowing better sweep chances over Toxic Stalling. I am going to try out all your sets at once on a team, but I'm picking Whirlwind & Brave Bird for Skarmory, I'm picking Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock for Chansey, and I'm picking Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split for Rotom-W first. If I had more moveslots, I'd feel amazing, but that's almost every team's wish. I must say I feel a little anxious about playing in a different style with this team, and I feel a tad bit weaker in a couple areas, though it looks pretty dang strong. Psyshock users are a little bit scarier, and Wish can't be passed to Teammates. I'll try it out, and I'll let you know how it goes. :)

-->

Quick Tips:

Enjoy n_n

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head / Brave Bird

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
I've finally gone through the gauntlet with your suggestions, and having Skarmory be more Defensive has been more prominent in usefulness for my team. I made changes unique to my team's needs, and I helped it take on one threat more in particular.
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 28 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Roost

Skarmory has been given 32 Atk EVs to OHKO 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile after Rocks. It has been given an Impish Nature, 248 HP, and 28 Def EVs to switch into Jolly LO Weavile's Knock Off + Icicle Crash Combo with Rocks up (note it can survive an Adamant variant provided there are no Rocks on my side of the field). The rest of the EVs have been placed in Special Defense to give it an edge on TankChomp and Tornadus-T, and allows it to check Fairies, Lati@s, and others at lower percents. Leftovers can be used to better check them, or Rocky Helmet can be used for worrying more about U-Turn, Dragon Tail, and other physical attacks. Brave Bird can be used if I fear M-Medicham, too (it's just preference and Weavile will still probably get KOed).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)