Viability Rankings (OUTDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battle Spot Singles Viability Rankings

Welcome to the Battle Spot Sun/Moon Viability Rankings thread. Here, we as a community will rank every single usable Pokemon into ranks. You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the Pokemon that are usable in the metagame and what rank they should fall under. The general idea of the topic is to rank Pokemon based on their effectiveness in the Battle Spot Singles metagame.

Finally, here are the people that have the final say on what gets moved in the ranking list (as in, the people that gather the community's input to make final decisions, as well as being well informed players themselves):
(In alphabetical order)
S Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.
Garchomp
Tapu Lele

A Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.
A+

Aegislash
Blaziken
Charizard (Mega-X)
Gengar (Mega)
Mimikyu
Salamence (Mega)
Tapu Koko

A

Celesteela
Charizard (Mega-Y)
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Gyarados (Mega)
Heatran
Hippowdon
Kangaskhan (Mega)
Landorus-T
Mamoswine
Mawile (Mega)
Porygon2
Suicune
Tapu Fini
Thundurus-T
Tyranitar

A-

Azumarill
Breloom
Cloyster
Cresselia
Dragonite
Lucario (Mega)
Metagross (Mega)
Primarina
Rotom-H
Rotom-W
Scizor (Mega)
Venusaur (Mega)
Volcarona

B Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Battle Spot Singles metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.
B+

Buzzwole
Chansey
Clefable
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Hydreigon
Kartana
Latios
Magnezone
Marowak-A
Nihilego
Ninetales-A
Pelipper
Pheromosa
Porygon-Z
Serperior
Skarmory
Slowbro (Mega)
Sylveon
Tapu Bulu
Thundurus-I
Zapdos

B

Araquanid
Chandelure
Gastrodon
Glalie
Kingdra
Lapras
Pyukumuku
Quagsire
Raikou
Rhyperior
Talonflame
Toxapex
Xurkitree

Rules
  • Post intelligently. Posts like "I think Pokemon X should be in this tier" without giving any reasoning will not be tolerated
  • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but avoid basing your entire argument around them.
  • No flaming
  • No one-liners or useless comments

Last edited:
Bank is here! We've made a new thread to start fresh since the old thread had a lot of discussion about pre-bank and we wanna make a clear distinction between the two as to not confuse anyone. This is only the very first draft, things here are bound to change so if you disagree with anything you see(or don't see) don't hesitate to bring up some discussion. The meta is still young so right now I only have up to B open because I want us to focus on the best things in the meta first, and eventually I will add in the lower ranks once S-B becomes pretty solid.

Also, Theorymon is a guy on the voting team now!

Cloyster's a little weaker with Rotom-W and Suicune back in the game but still definitely A/B tier material for pretty obvious reasons. Powerful multi hit moves help it get around sashes, subs and Mimikyu, shell smash, the ability to run king's rock which makes it item slot neutral if you want to run a different sasher, ect. Assuming it was an accidental omission.

Cloyster's a little weaker with Rotom-W and Suicune back in the game but still definitely A/B tier material for pretty obvious reasons. Powerful multi hit moves help it get around sashes, subs and Mimikyu, shell smash, the ability to run king's rock which makes it item slot neutral if you want to run a different sasher, ect. Assuming it was an accidental omission.
It actually exactly was an accidental omission lol, had it in B+. On mobile rn but will add it in later.

What about assault vest hariyama?, granted it does have a weakness to three common attacking types but with thick fat it eats ice beams and fire blasts along with most special attacks for little damage and can cover a solid portion of the battle spot metagame with stone edge, earthquake and knock off.
Edit: i forgot to mention the huge base hp stat of 144 which can aid the special walling.

I think m-gyarados should be a little bit higher. I can kind of understand A-, but Gyarados gets some crucial new advantages gen 7. In addition to being able to switch into an EQ from any physical attacker and drop their attack with intimidate pre-mega, it is extremely capable of keeping its boosts and sweeping thanks to Prankster not effecting dark-types. (another minor upside to this is that players dont even seem to notice this yet, i've had battles in 1600 range where a whimsicott twice tries to encore it into d-dance). Also Gyarados makes Mimikyu sort of a non-threat to your teams (essentially the thing is a big threat if you lack a Mold Breaker user period). It can successfully set a dragon dance and knock out non-scarfed Tapu Lele after living any 1 of its attacks (survives Moonblast while in mega), and can possibly get away unscathed with a boost with proper prediction (assuming the Lele doesnt intend on Moonblasting pre-mega gyarados). Not to mention the usefulness of its auxillary moves (Taunt shuts down celesteela and some other bulky mons that Gyarados has to 3HKO while unboosted, and Thunder Wave is very useful on more defensive sets)
In conclusion, I just think that combined with it's bulk, separate immunities in both forms, versatility, prankster immunity, usefulness of both abilities, and dangerous sweeping capabilities, it should be considered for A.

calcs:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 132-156 (74.1 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(132, 132, 134, 134, 138, 138, 140, 140, 144, 144, 146, 146, 150, 150, 152, 156)

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 118-139 (66.2 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(118, 118, 120, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139)

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 145-172 (100 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(145, 147, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 162, 163, 165, 166, 168, 169, 172) [[[crunch is the same bp]]]

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 114-135 (55.8 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(114, 115, 117, 118, 120, 121, 121, 123, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 135)

252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 76-90 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(76, 76, 78, 78, 79, 81, 81, 82, 82, 84, 85, 85, 87, 87, 88, 90)

Nominating Kartana for B+

I don't see any reason why Kartana should stand behind similar fast and frail cleaners/sweepers like Nihilego or Serperior that face the same Moveset-restrictions, having a few Pokemon walling them because the lack of good coverage options/a rather shallow movepool, but they all still have the power backing them up to work fine on numerous teams. On the plus side Kartana has a very good speed tier, tieing with Ninetales-A and outspeeding a lot of relevant Pokemon including non-scarfed Garchomp, and the Attack stat is just enormous, coupled with Beast boost making it all the more threatening to run through a team that isn't prepared well enough. Other than Nihilego's poor defense and weakness/no resistance to the most common priority types bar Ice Shard, Kartana is only really prone to vacuum wave (which is basically only seen on special Lucario, which outspeeds anyways) as a priority move, making it necessary to either have a pokemon that has massive bulk and isn't weak to its attacks like Celesteela (and not giving it a Beast boost beforehand), intimidate/burn or something faster to beat it. Also with a number of resistances to relevant types and a Poison and Leech Seed Immunity, it doesn't even fall easily to weaker special attacks, up to living a non-LO boosted Tapu Koko Thunderbolt in Terrain (252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 110-130 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), while the natural physical bulk let's it usually take on and/or revenge threats like +1 Mega-Gyarados, +0 Excadrill, Mamoswine (although 5 hit Icicle Spear+Ice shard have a chance to KO), and Azumarill (+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 67-79 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO).
It sure has some glaring weaknesses, given that the special defense is poor, the quadruple Fire weakness and the lacking moveset that holds it back, but with a few viable sets including Z crystal, Sash and the lately more popular Scarf, backed up by that insane 181 Attack base, i don't see why it should be in the same rank as more niche picks like Lapras, Pyukumuku or Rhyperior (not that these are bad, but they are not as easily suitable for many teambuilds imo), but rather fitting on the same rank as aforementioned Nihilego, Serperior and Latios etc.

On a second thought, i could also see the bar for B+ being raised and multiple Pokémon moving down as the meta develops more, since i have to say the B+ rank is pretty big. I could see a B- rank being added soon and the B/B+ rank reorganised along with that, which would mean pokemon like Nihilego or Skarmory and a couple others moving down to B and Pyukumuku etc moving to B-. In that case i would be more comfortable with Kartana staying B, but at the current state of the rankings Kartana stands out to me as a pokemon that is a significantly bigger threat atm than most of the other pokemon in that rank.

Curious, why is Toxapex ranked so low? Because of the 3v3 format? Have not done much with Battle Spot yet but she has been dominating Battle Tree Super Singles for me...

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Curious, why is Toxapex ranked so low? Because of the 3v3 format? Have not done much with Battle Spot yet but she has been dominating Battle Tree Super Singles for me...
This is not an uncommon question since coming from other formats people often think Toxapex is probably really good. The main problem is that Toxapex has a rather mediocre typing for BSS. Being weak to Psychic, Ground and Electric is a very bad combination for something that relies entirely on its bulk, and while it does have some very handy resists, they don't help at all against a lot of the top threats in the format. It's not exactly a deadweight Pokemon since stuff like Blaziken, Greninja and Mimikyu can still have a tough time breaking through it, but it's way too passive against too many threats.

There's also a lot of competition from stuff like Tapu Fini and Suicune which are typically just better and can do most of what Toxpaex does and more. Reliable recovery is also not nearly as necessary in 3v3 so access to Recover and Regenerator are also not a major point in its favor (though it is noteworthy). Reliable recovery and a slightly different set of resists are what Toxapex is used for, but it's usually an inferior pick for a bulky Water-type.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably a stupid question but why is Charizard-X ranked higher than Charizard-Y?
It's mostly because Mega Charizard X is a really dangerous sweeper that has two methods of sweeping (the Dragon Dance set, and the more wallbreakish Swords Dance + Flame Charge set), and it can even run a bulky set. Mega Charizard Y is a lot more one note: it just fries stuff in the sun.

Just a note though, part of the reason why Charizard in general is so dangerous is because both mega evos have very different checks. If Charizard comes in at the right time, it can really mess teams up if your foe predicts the wrong Mega Evolution!

Also on a side note, I'm thinking after a few days (maybe a week after the start of this season, not sure yet), we should probably try to get a ranking for Mega Mawile, since that clearly is having an impact. To a lesser extent, I don't mind looking at Mega Beedrill too, since its fairly viable at least.

It's mostly because Mega Charizard X is a really dangerous sweeper that has two methods of sweeping (the Dragon Dance set, and the more wallbreakish Swords Dance + Flame Charge set), and it can even run a bulky set. Mega Charizard Y is a lot more one note: it just fries stuff in the sun.

Just a note though, part of the reason why Charizard in general is so dangerous is because both mega evos have very different checks. If Charizard comes in at the right time, it can really mess teams up if your foe predicts the wrong Mega Evolution!

Also on a side note, I'm thinking after a few days (maybe a week after the start of this season, not sure yet), we should probably try to get a ranking for Mega Mawile, since that clearly is having an impact. To a lesser extent, I don't mind looking at Mega Beedrill too, since its fairly viable at least.
I can attest to this as i have been screwed over many times by predicting X when it's Y. My one main concern is the ranking on beedrill, granted it's typing to mediocre but with it's massive base 150 attack and 145 speed. it out-speeds the majority of the un-boosted metagame bar pheromosa and mega alakazam.

I actually also think that CharY should be ranked at least as high as Xard. There are too many good Pokemon against Xard and I never had problems against it whereas CharY can sweep whole teams after a Flamecharge and can also fight lots of good megacores (a sub set can destroy Mmawile offense, Flamecharge sets are good against balance cores with Landog, ferro and fini an a lot of other cores).

I would Rank Mmawile A+
Rotom-W for A-
Breloom for A-
Lele for A+
MKangaskhan for A
MGengar for A
Thundurus-T for A+

Thundurus-T has great coverage and you can hit almost everything in the Meta super effective and especially with the instruction of z-moves it is a super powerful wallbreaker and a Nastyplot set can break through almost any stall team. Furthermore it has a pretty decent Speedstat and a very good defensive typing.

Lele got quite a big nerf through the introduction of MMawile and the rising popularity of TR.

Breloom is very great because it almost always takes out minimum 1 Pokemon if the opponent isn't super prepared and it is in general a good dedicated lead. Tapu Fini and Koko who can set up sleephindering terrains are also very pressured by bullet seed.

Mmawile is in my opinion the best mega in the game. It has priority, the best typing, the best attack stat, a very good premega ability and good coverage. I don't think I need to talk futher. You all know how great it is^^

Last edited:
I actually also think that CharY should be ranked at least as high as Xard. There are too many good Pokemon against Xard and I never had problems against it whereas CharY can sweep whole teams after a Flamecharge and can also fight lots of good megacores (a sub set can destroy Mmawile offense, Flamecharge sets are good against balance cores with Landog, ferro and fini an a lot of other cores).

I would Rank Mmawile A+
Rotom-W for A-
Breloom for A-
Lele for A+
MKangaskhan for A
MGengar for A
Thundurus-T for A+

Thundurus-T has great coverage and you can hit almost everything in the Meta super effective and especially with the instruction of z-moves it is a super powerful wallbreaker and a Nastyplot set can break through almost any stall team. Furthermore it has a pretty decent Speedstat and a very good defensive typing.

Lele got quite a big nerf through the introduction of MMawile and the rising popularity of TR.

Breloom is very great because it almost always takes out minimum 1 Pokemon if the opponent isn't super prepared and it is in general a good dedicated lead. Tapu Fini and Koko who can set up sleephindering terrains are also very pressured by bullet seed.

Mmawile is in my opinion the best mega in the game. It has priority, the best typing, the best attack stat, a very good premega ability and good coverage. I don't think I need to talk futher. You all know how great it is^^
To add to this, I would say that Primarina deserves to go up to A- tbh. In the aftermath of Postbank she has managed to establish herself as one of the premier Z-move users in the meta, as well as still being able to bring utility to the team in the form of Encore or Perish Song.

Not to forgot Cloyster, this guy's gimmick is so predictable and yet still incredibly effective.

In terms of drops, Thundurus-I needs to drop, like completely out of the rankings. The Prankster nerf hit him hard, and he doesn't deserve to be ranked higher than Breloom, Cloyster, Hydreigon and Primarina, who are all much more viable and much more relevant.

In terms of drops, Thundurus-I needs to drop, like completely out of the rankings. The Prankster nerf hit him hard, and he doesn't deserve to be ranked higher than Breloom, Cloyster, Hydreigon and Primarina, who are all much more viable and much more relevant.
Thundurus is still quite fast and strong, and its sub / nasty plot sets aren't really hurt. Prankster twave swagger stuff has gotten weaker but it's still pretty handy for some matchups. I'd probably put it in B+ instead of A- but it's still good.

Thundurus is still quite fast and strong, and its sub / nasty plot sets aren't really hurt. Prankster twave swagger stuff has gotten weaker but it's still pretty handy for some matchups. I'd probably put it in B+ instead of A- but it's still good.
I actually think that the best set is a "stall"-set with Sub, protect, Toxic and Tbolt because offensive it is (apart from the speed) completely outclassed by Thundurus-T imo.

Hi, this is my first time making a nomination for a pokemon, so if I am missing something or say something stupid when making the nom. My bad.

Nominating Sylveon for B

I'm a bit confused on why Sylveon is in the same rank with Primarina and Clefable. Offensively, I see no reason not to choose Primarina over Sylveon (Unless you need to hit through a sub and to hit a little harder, but that's pretty situational) in specs, due to the former having a better move pool to work with, as well as having a better typing altogether.

Now on to Clefable, if I had to choose over the two for who I want as my calm mind sweeper. I would probably would go with Clefable for the most part. Not only does it have a WAY better move pool to work with, but it also has two great abilities to work with in Magic guard and Unaware. It also serves as a better win con due to having minimize in it's possession. Yes, I know that Sylveon hits harder than Clefable, but the utility it brings to a team really is eye catching and overall a more appealing choice than brute strength.

Last edited:
After the release of Mawile the Meta changed completly.
Mawile: A+, Fairy / Steel is such a good Typing, to have a Steel-Typ is very important in the Meta, wins against Tapu Lele, Mimikyu, some Tapu Kokos, some Tapu Finis, Kanga, with Fire Fang against Celesteela and Ferrothorn, pressures many Mons in the Metagame to get a free Swords Dance. At least A+, maybe S-Rang
Entei: B+/B, one of the few Pokémon which checks Mawile and doesn't cost a Mega-Spot, has a pretty solid Matchup against many of the high ranked Pokémon, etc. Don't get me wrong, Entei isn't a very good Pokémon in this Metagame but imo too good to be unranked.
Buzzwole: A-, Lunge is such a great move against many of the physical attackers, Fighting is still a pretty good Typing against P2, Ttar, Kang etc., has Roost and a great attack- and defensebase (btw physical defensive Buzzwole with Leftovers and Roost wins against Mega-Mawile if there isn't a crit)
Kanga: A-, Kanga is nearly dead since the Release of Mawile, it's the same like XY 3on3 with the difference that Parental Bound isn't that good anymore
Beedril: B+, Speedtie with Tapu Koko, kills every Tapu for sure (except physical defensive Fini), is a great revenge killer. Beedrils big problem is that his defensestats are crap, but his Attack, Typing and Speed is pretty good and so Beedril should be B+, maybe A--Rang

Sorry for my bad english, it's only my fourth language, i hope you understood me :x

Going to post some opinions!​
Mimikyu (A+ to S)
Mimikyu doesn't take the #1 spot for current season 3 usage for nothing. This Pokemon in the current metagame is simply amazing. Setup on Mimikyu is extremely easy because of disguise, and once it's at +2 switching in safely is near impossible. What separates Mimikyu from other setup mons is that Mimikyu can setup against practically anything, whereas a regular setup mon might need a situation created for it to setup. Mimikyu obviously doesn't need this, giving it an amazing niche in the metagame. Pretty much anything is blown away by z shadow claw / z play rough, even fat mons like Celesteela / Porygon2 are completely blown out of the water. Common checks (once disguise is broken) also have to take a +2 shadow sneak, which is never a nice thing to take.

Excadrill (A to A+)
Excadrill is a little bit slept on in the metagame, I'd say. Pretty much the entirety of this "nomination" is based around the scarf set. Scarf Excadrill checks so many metagame threats in one slot, leaving a lot more freedom in the teambuilding and battling process. Knowing that mons which pressure your defensive backbone can easily be taken care of by Excadrill is reassuring, checking common threats like Mimikyu / Charizard x and y / Tapu Koko / Tapu Lele / Mega-Gengar / Heatran / Mamoswine. Even in unfavourable matchups vs bulkier Pokemon like Celesteela / Ferrothorn / Porygon2 you can pressure heavily with horn drill. While somewhat outclassed by Scarf Garchomp, Excarill certainly has room for a rise in viability despite what usage statistics and what metagame trends suggest.

Quick thought that crossed my mind!​
Sylveon (B+ to C / Unranked)
Garbage Pokemon, to be brutally honest. Extremely outclassed by Tapu Lele and offers almost no real niche apart from more special bulk than lele + hitting through subs with hyper voice. Works as duel screens and also pressures well with yawn, I will admit, but certainly not a B+ worthy mon in my eyes.

I wouldn't even say Excadrill is outclassed in any way by Scarf Chomp. And as we are talking about it: I'd move Chomp down.
There are so many common Pokemon that pressure it pretty hard. M-Mawile can take an EQ at -1 and kill. Blaziken KOes with LO Hp-Ice, Scarf Lele outspeeds it and can take an EQ iirc, Celesteela can just stall it out if it isn't SD Fire Fang, Mamoswine does what Mamoswine does (Btw, for an EQ user I'd choose Mamo instead of Chomp even if I like Chomp more), Landog can 1v1 beat it and so on. Another aspect that provides my Opinion is the fact that it can't spam Outrage anymore and that was one of the best things it could do in XY/ORAS imo. You just lead with it, SDed, hung on Focus Sash and just clicked Outrage. So, to come to an end I'd move Garchomp from S to A even if it is still rather bad in comparison to other A-Mons like Landog, CharY and Thundi-T (which should be A+ btw)

And tbh I feel like the whole Viability Ranking should be updated because there are so many changes to make. Some examples:
Wth is Suicune A and Tapu Fini just A-?! The CroCune Set isn't working anymore and Tapu Fini is just so splashable and good, I'd move it to A+.
Azumarill and Thund-I have the same rank as Volcarona? Volcarona has so many great sets and there are only a few things that can stop it after one Quiver Dance. CharY, you think you can switch in a +1 sunboosted Fiery Dance? Nope, but thanks for the sun-boost. Tapu Fini? Thanks for the HP. And I could move on like this. Volcarona deserves least A, if not A+. It is for example even better than Xard which is too high tbh. CharY is way better.
Edit I.: Oh, and Alolan Marowak? Ye, it can still nuke things but Postbank there are just too many offensive threats to so that it just can't attack and from the defensive point things like Mamoswine are way better against BoltBeam.
Edit II.: To update the VR I'd say you can just write the changes and you don't have to write an explanation for it because then way more ppl will participate in this. I realise it at my own, I'd change quite a lot things but I'm just too lazy to write that much and most things should be just obvious anyway (for example the aspect with Suicune and Tapu Fini). If there are very controversial changes (or if you want a Pokemon to be S because that is a "big step") you can ask and discuss but for most things the community should've the same opinion.

Last edited:
Quick thoughts. No comment means I think they're probably fine.
S Rank
Garchomp
Tapu Lele
A Rank
A+
Aegislash
Blaziken
Charizard (Mega-X) - Drop to A, I consider this to be worse than Mence on the DD front. Simply, the bulk is lacking in comparison and though the typing has some nice applications it gets harder to implement when pre-mega is poor (mence can switch about thanks to intim, lesser SR weakness etc.)
Gengar (Mega)
Kangaskhan (Mega) - Drop to A-, damage isn't what it used to be, speed tier isn't ideal. It's good bulk is slightly compromised by common usage of Double-Edge (Damage starts to feel lacking without)
Mimikyu - Fine here. It's splashable, which highly contributes to it's usage, but I don't think it's good enough to be S no matter how busted disguise is.
Salamence (Mega)
Tapu Koko
A
Celesteela
Charizard (Mega-Y)
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Heatran
Hippowdon
Landorus-T
Mamoswine
Porygon2
Rotom-W - B+, it's not up to mark with the other bulky waters, though the Electric typing gives a solid place.
Suicune
Thundurus-T
Tyranitar
A-
Azumarill - I still think it's good, but I feel it's more in line with the other B+ stuff
Cresselia
Dragonite
Gyarados (Mega) - Could see this going up to A, but I'm fine with it here.
Lucario (Mega)
Metagross (Mega) - Deserving of A, very solid coverage combined with good typing, bulk and speed.
Rotom-H - Another B+ mon, unique typing with decent stats will always give it a place, it's just not that good
Scizor (Mega)
Tapu Fini - A or A+ mon, extremely good typing and bulk and several solid options (Taunt, Nature's Madness etc).
Thundurus-I
Venusaur (Mega)
Volcarona
B Rank
B+
Breloom
Buzzwole
Chansey
Clefable - Would drop to high C if there was such a tier.
Cloyster
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Hydreigon
Latios
Magnezone
Marowak-A - Also high C, still has cool typing/ability, and strong attacks, just lacks bulk or speed to be as freely usable as many other mons.
Nihilego
Ninetales-A
Pelipper
Pheromosa
Porygon-Z
Primarina - Bump up to A-, once again that water/fairy typing is fantastic, and Oceanic Operetta is very powerful.
Serperior
Skarmory
Slowbro (Mega)
Sylveon - I think it's better than dogknees is suggesting, but also wouldn't disagree to a C rank at the moment.
Tapu Bulu
Zapdos - B+/A-, phys def set is great and even offensive sets, particularly scarf, are good even if they have competition from Thund-T (basically just using it for Heat Wave)
B
Araquanid
Chandelure
Gastrodon
Glalie
Kartana
Kingdra
Lapras
Pyukumuku
Quagsire
Raikou
Rhyperior
Talonflame - C
Toxapex
Xurkitree

I wouldn't even say Excadrill is outclassed in any way by Scarf Chomp. And as we are talking about it: I'd move Chomp down.
There are so many common Pokemon that pressure it pretty hard. M-Mawile can take an EQ at -1 and kill. Blaziken KOes with LO Hp-Ice, Scarf Lele outspeeds it and can take an EQ iirc, Celesteela can just stall it out if it isn't SD Fire Fang, Mamoswine does what Mamoswine does (Btw, for an EQ user I'd choose Mamo instead of Chomp even if I like Chomp more), Landog can 1v1 beat it and so on. Another aspect that provides my Opinion is the fact that it can't spam Outrage anymore and that was one of the best things it could do in XY/ORAS imo. You just lead with it, SDed, hung on Focus Sash and just clicked Outrage. So, to come to an end I'd move Garchomp from S to A even if it is still rather bad in comparison to other A-Mons like Landog, CharY and Thundi-T (which should be A+ btw)

And tbh I feel like the whole Viability Ranking should be updated because there are so many changes to make. Some examples:
Wth is Suicune A and Tapu Fini just A-?! The CroCune Set isn't working anymore and Tapu Fini is just so splashable and good, I'd move it to A+.
Azumarill and Thund-I have the same rank as Volcarona? Volcarona has so many great sets and there are only a few things that can stop it after one Quiver Dance. CharY, you think you can switch in a +1 sunboosted Fiery Dance? Nope, but thanks for the sun-boost. Tapu Fini? Thanks for the HP. And I could move on like this. Volcarona deserves least A, if not A+. It is for example even better than Xard which is too high tbh. CharY is way better.
Edit I.: Oh, and Alolan Marowak? Ye, it can still nuke things but Postbank there are just too many offensive threats to so that it just can't attack and from the defensive point things like Mamoswine are way better against BoltBeam.
Edit II.: To update the VR I'd say you can just write the changes and you don't have to write an explanation for it because then way more ppl will participate in this. I realise it at my own, I'd change quite a lot things but I'm just too lazy to write that much and most things should be just obvious anyway (for example the aspect with Suicune and Tapu Fini). If there are very controversial changes (or if you want a Pokemon to be S because that is a "big step") you can ask and discuss but for most things the community should've the same opinion.
Fully agree on Volcarona. The Z-powers really boosted its viability. I mean even the Buginium-Z Swarm/Substitute set is fucking scary nuking stuff here and there. It deserves a higher rank in my opinion too.

Okay sorry to keep you all waiting on this but we've made some updates. Keep in mind we haven't yet discussed the noms just brought up within the past couple days.

Mega Gyarados A- to A

Kartana B to B+

Mega Mawile -- to A

Rotom-W A to A-

Breloom B+ to A-

Mega Kangaskhan A+ to A

Thundurus-I A- to B+

Primarina B+ to A-

Cloyster B+ to A-

Tapu Fini A- to A

There were also a few things we discussed that we decided not to change. Among them were things like Thund-T rising, Tapu Lele dropping, and Mega Gengar dropping. Not to say these mons are gonna be set in stone forever but at the moment we agree with their current placements.

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Some thoughts:

Charizard (Mega-Y) - A+ worth. It's as good as Zard X, maybe even better right now.

Suicune - Suicune isn't what it used to be. Tapu Fini outclasses it, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I'd put it at A-

Rotom-H and
Rotom-W - Unfortunately these guys aren't that good anymore, even with their unique typing (sorta unique in Rotom-W's case), Levitate and nice stats. I'd put them at B+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)