VGC VGC 2018 Mega Mawile + Trick Room

What do you think of the team?

• Total voters
Personal Note:

I made this team a while back, originally based around Mega Scizor, which changed to Mega Mawile and had an Alolan Muk, which became Bisharp, which has changed again to Mudsdale. This team has changed a lot, but this is what I have decided on and it works really well so far. Using this, I was able to get to 1324 on the ladder (low, I know, but hopefully I can hit top 500 soon).

The Team:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
1513546429020.png

Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

This is the core of the team who is effective for many reasons. First of all, it has extremely high attack with a slow speed. These stats allow it to do really well under trick room. Also, when it switches in, it has intimidate, which can be used to cripple the opposing team's physical attackers and even be used to force a switch so Mawile can Swords Dance up. Finally, it has Sucker Punch to still be effective if trick room isn't set up. Mega Mawile is one of the main reasons this team works because if Trick Room runs out, Mawile is the only one who can hold it's own.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
1513546463599.png

Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Rock Slide

The first of my 3 rotating team members is Marowak. Even though it rotates out with Vikavolt and Mudsdale, don't think for a second that it isn't as strong as the Pokemon that I bring to every battle. The item being used is a Thick Club to double Marowak's already good attack stat, which makes it easy to get 1-2 hit KOs. Marowak has 2 very good stabs that allow it to be powerful in the meta: Fire and Ghost. Using Flare Blitz comboed with Rock Head so it can ignore the recoil from Flare Blitz that would usually hinder it's performance. Also, Shadow Bone is an amazing attack to get easy KOs on Tapu Lele, Mega Metagross, and Blacephalon just to name a few. Bonemerang is being used to take down Heatrans, Torkoals, and Stakatakas without hurting it's own teammates. Finally, I use Rock Slide to be able to flinch, hit both foes, and take down Mega Charizard Y. Marowak is a necessary member of this team, without it, I wouldn't have gotten as far up on the ladder as I have.

Mudsdale @ Groundium Z
1513546484550.png

Ability: Stamina
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam

The second rotating member is Mudsdale. Just to clear up why Landorus isn't being used: I chose to use Mudsdale over Landorus because Mudsdale has more bulk (my team is relatively frail, so I figured I needed at least 1 somewhat bulky mon), it's extremely slow, so Trick Room will make it much faster (Landorus is amazing out of Trick Room, but it's considered too fast in my opinion to be used for this team), Mudsdale's moveset is better (Landorus has Superpower and Earthquake, which are amazing moves, but Superpower cripples it's attack so it has to switch out after using it and Earthquake kills most of it's teammates), Finally, Landorus is 4* weak to ice, which is a huge disadvantage over Mudsdale, who only has 2* weaknesses. Now that that's cleared up, here's other reasons why Mudsdale is great for this team. High Horsepower is an amazing move to take care of any pokemon weak to ground without taking out it's own team, Rock Slide gets easy flinches and takes out Mega Charizard Y, Close Combat can be spammed because it only lowers defence, finally Heavy Slam allows it to deal massive damage due to it's high weight. The main reason that I use Mudsdale though is because of the Z-Move. Mudsdale is the best Z-Move user on my team in my opinion. This job was originally Porygon-Z's, but I figured that the advantage of using Tectonic Rage is that it's strong against Fire, Electric, Rock, and Steel, while Breakneck Blitz isn't supereffective on anything. Tectonic Rage is amazing in VGC, it can destroy Heatran and even walls (literally) such as Stakataka or any Pokemon weak to ground. Alternatively, if there is a Pokemon you can't seem to kill, Tectonic Rage could probably do at least half to it. Mudsdale is a perfect member to my team for the bulk and the Z-Move.

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
1513546505459.png

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

Vikavolt is the third rotating member, who has the sole purpose of destroying rain teams. It's special attack is really high, so I comboed it with choice specs to really get the job done. It has Thunderbolt and Bug Buzz for STAB, with Volt Switch to get a kill and get out, but the main move is Energy Ball. Most rain teams in VGC run Mega Swampert, so if I use Energy Ball, Swampert is done for. Another common rain team member is Peliper, so I like to use Volt Switch on it to get a kill, switch out (to avoid the choice specs lock in), and go back in to use Energy Ball or Thunderbolt. Vikavolt is an amazing special attacker and an amazing electric type, and without it my team wouldn't function as well again rain based teams.

Togekiss @ Figy Berry
1513546828459.png

Ability: Serene Grace
Quiet Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Follow Me

Togekiss is a crutial on this team for a number of reasons. It's main role is using Follow Me with a figy berry to allow Porygon-Z to set up Trick Room. It's natural bulk keeps it alive, and Figy Berry heals it when it hits 25% or below (It saves Togekiss more than you would think, trust me, this is better than sitrus berry in this situation). Also, it has a small role as a special tank for my team. Finally, Air Slash and Serene Grace can be used to get kills, or to put off a foe until later in the battle. Without Togekiss, the team would fall apart because Trick Room would rarely be set.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
1513547247049.png

Ability: Adaptability
Quiet Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Trick Room

Porygon-Z, like Togekiss, fills many essential roles on this team. It's first and main role is setting up Trick Room. To do this, it has many combos to acheive this almost 100% of the time. The main combo is the Follow Me + Trick Room combo, but sometimes this isn't enough because of Fake Out or Z-Move targeting. If this is the case (or I think it is) before pulling off the above combo, I use Protect and an attacking move on Togekiss. It saves Porygon-Z and gets in damage. Finally, it has double STAB Tri Attack (because of Adaptability) to deal high damage and Ice Beam to kill Landorus and Garchomp (or anything weak to Ice), using these to attack with a life orb results in a consistently high damage output. Porygon-Z is another member that this team couldn't function without.

Usage Tips:

- Use Follow Me + Trick Room combo for initial setup
- If Fake Out + targeting is possible on Porygon-Z to prevent setup, use protect on Porygon-Z and an attacking move on Togekiss to get some damage in
- Use Porygon-Z, Togekiss, and Mega Mawile in every batle
- Lead with Porygon-Z and Togekiss every time
- Use Marowak for most teams
- If 3 or more Pokemon on the opposing team are weak to Ground, bring Mudsdale (3 because then at least 1 of them has to be used)
- If you're against a rain team, use Vikavolt
- If the opposing team is another Trick Room team, let them setup Trick Room for you so you get more damage in (Plus, if it's used twice, it gets cancelled, then both of you won't use Trick Room because they think you will set it up, which could result in a loss)

Thank you for viewing my thread! :D

*Edit: See bottom post in the reply section (The team has changed and I don’t want to change this post)

Last edited:
Very interesting team here. I generally like to keep the team comp somewhat similar, but seeing as how you are using such unorthodox sets, I wouldn't know how to improve the team while keeping the comp the same besides stressing that Protect is the best move in doubles. I just thought to make an interesting team focused around Porygon2, Tapu Bulu, and Muk-A as they all just sorta fit well together and Mawile fits brilliantly into the archetype. Try this composition out and see if it's fire enough for your liking. Am kinda sick today, so I spent most of the energy I had on this rate team building.

-->

With a team as slow as this one, it at least needs a more reliable means of setting up Trick Room. This is why I replaced PorygonZ, with its bulkier form, Porygon2.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Def / 8 SpA / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

Sorta standard spread. Trace over Download comes down to preference I think. I just like getting free intimidates off against Lando-T.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 244 HP / 156 Atk / 108 SpD
Brave Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Snarl

Togekiss is kinda outclassed by other redirection users save for its ability to set up Tailwind. Even then, I think you would just prefer to use a Fake Out user. But what about Tapu Let you ask? Wehehell, that's where Tapu Bulu comes in, silly.

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Protect

Fake Out to your heart's content with this mon at your side.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 44 Def / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Imprison
- Protect

This spread outspeeds Marowak-A outside of Trick Room and Imprison has some utility in preventing your opponent from being able to stall out Trick Room with Protect or being able to Knock Off Porygon2.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 84 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

You seemed worried about your Rain matchup. So I added a possessed washing machine to the team. At least with Rotom you are able to burn Pert. Another perk would be being able to burn any physical attackers your team struggles against, such as any opposing Mawile.

To finish this off, add Protect over Swords Dance on Mawile and you have yourself a completely different type of unorthodox team. One made by a guy who should probably not be driving on account of how much NyQuil I've consumed in a 24 hour period. Hope this helps.

U
Thanks for your advice, seems like a pretty good/fun team to use, I’ll definitely try it out. Hopefully you get better soon!
It's definitely not perfect, in fact, it'll probably struggle more to get Trick Room up, but in VGC, you play best of 3 and you don't want to have the same exact lead 100% of the time. It becomes too predictable. It is however more forgiving if you aren't able to set up Trick Room turn one with a Mon as bulky as P2. I wish I could have come up with a second mode to this team or had more experience with full room teams, but I had fun coming up with this strategy regardless. Congrats on making it into the 1300s with only one of your Pokemon carrying Protect. That is some accomplishment.

U

It's definitely not perfect, in fact, it'll probably struggle more to get Trick Room up, but in VGC, you play best of 3 and you don't want to have the same exact lead 100% of the time. It becomes too predictable. It is however more forgiving if you aren't able to set up Trick Room turn one with a Mon as bulky as P2. I wish I could have come up with a second mode to this team or had more experience with full room teams, but I had fun coming up with this strategy regardless. Congrats on making it into the 1300s with only one of your Pokemon carrying Protect. That is some accomplishment.
I tried the team out for a bit and I really liked it! The only problem is, like you said, it’s hard to setup Trick Room, so I ended up losing a lot. In place of it I took some of your original ideas and put them on my team. I never use Vikavolt much and it’s the weak link of the team and I really like your Tapu Bulu set, so I replaced Vikavolt with it. The only thing I changed on Tapu Bulu was the Z-Crystal to Leftovers (Good for survivability combined with the Grassy Terrain health and Horn Leech) because I prefer Tectonic Rage personally. Also, I added more Protect to my team, so now Porygon-Z, Togekiss, Tapu Bulu, and Mawile have it. Your advice really helped me and the team also gave me some insight as to what I could change about my current team, thank you so much!

Last edited:
I tried the team out for a bit and I really liked it! The only problem is, like you said, it’s hard to setup Trick Room, so I ended up losing a lot. In place of it I took some of your original ideas and put them on my team. I never use Vikavolt much and it’s the weak link of the team and I really like your Tapu Bulu set, so I replaced Vikavolt with it. The only thing I changed on Tapu Bulu was the Z-Crystal to Leftovers (Good for survivability combined with the Grassy Terrain health and Horn Leech) because I prefer Tectonic Rage personally. Also, I added more Protect to my team, so now Porygon-Z, Togekiss, Tapu Bulu, and Mawile have it. Your advice really helped me and the team also gave me some insight as to what I could change about my current team, thank you so much!
Leftovers are generally considered a bad item for doubles, but whatever works for you.

Oh, what’s a good item for Bulu besides a Z-Crystal? I forgot to mention that I’m actually running bulkier EVs on it (252 HP, 116 Def, and 52 Spdf) The only reason I chose lefties was for bulk, but this spread leaves me at 88 Attack with a Brave nature, so maybe Miracle Seed for damage?

Oh, what’s a good item for Bulu besides a Z-Crystal? I forgot to mention that I’m actually running bulkier EVs on it (252 HP, 116 Def, and 52 Spdf) The only reason I chose lefties was for bulk, but this spread leaves me at 88 Attack with a Brave nature, so maybe Miracle Seed for damage?
Miracle Seed was what I was going to suggest, yes.

Ok, I can do that, or just randomly (Why am I still up at 12:00?) I thought of this set:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 116 Def / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Horn Leech
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

What do you think? I feel like I could make good use of a tanky Bulu.

Ok, I can do that, or just randomly (Why am I still up at 12:00?) I thought of this set:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 116 Def / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Horn Leech
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

What do you think? I feel like I could make good use of a tanky Bulu.
Base 75 is an awkward speed stat. You won't be going fast under Trick Room, but you need speed control in the form of Icy Wind, Tailwind, or Thunder Wave to outspeed much. See, most normal teams have one or two really slow mons that try to steer Trick Room teams away from setting Trick Room. VGC 17 had Snorlax and prior seasons had Amoongus. I haven't used Bulu too much, but for coverage I might run Superpower and like maybe Rock Slide or Stone Edge. With Bulu it's easy to get away with running Wood Hammer for when you need to bop something and Horn Leech for when you need to play more conservatively with your Tapu. Unless it's got more offensive investment, your other attacks aren't going to be doing much damage compared to your STAB options anyway. My two cents. You don't really come across screens much in VGC 18, and if you do, it's likely Ninetales setting up Veil. I haven't actually seen Ninetales this season, so, wouldn't worry about losing Brick Break. I don't want to flood your RMT, though. Any more questions feel free to PM me. I'm off tomorrow and available most nights GMT -4 I think.

Major Edits:

- Vikavolt changed to Tapu Bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 116 Def / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

- Mudsdale changed to Snorlax

Snorlax @ Snorlium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 108 Def / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double-Edge
- High Horsepower
- Giga Impact
- Zen Headbutt

- Porygon-Z’s ability changed to Dowload and Tri Attack changed to Thunderbolt + EV Spread changed (252 HP, 248 Sp. Def, 8 Def)

- Alolan Marowak’s ability was changed to Lightning Rod and Bonemerang replaced with Protect

Last edited:
Major Edits:

- Vikavolt changed to Tapu Bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 116 Def / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

- Mudsdale changed to Snorlax

Snorlax @ Snorlium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 108 Def / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double-Edge
- High Horsepower
- Giga Impact
- Zen Headbutt

- Porygon-Z’s ability changed to Dowload and Tri Attack changed to Thunderbolt + EV Spread changed (252 HP, 248 Sp. Def, 8 Def)

- Alolan Marowak’s ability changed to Lightning Rod
Why Thick Fat over Gluttony + Pinch Berry? Curse is actually really good for either a Trick Room counter or abuser. Also, I have never seen anyone use a Zen Headbutt Snorlax competively, what does that allow you to hit exactly? Why use that over Protect? edit; or something like Curse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)