UU Player of the Week #19: Sam

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by King UU and Hogg
Stolen from Hairy Toenail

Art by rozes

Hello, and welcome to UU's Player of the Week, where I interview
some of Smogon's most accomplished and well known players in the tier to give
some insight on who they are and their views on certain aspects of the metagame.
If there's someone you want to see interviewed, shoot me a PM!

Sam
Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hello, I am a 23 year old currently residing in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I graduated this past summer with a degree in chemical engineering. Besides mons I'm pretty in to sports and photography, and am known for being a lover of fragrance.

Most known for?
Being an admin. Before that, being a super mod and an SPL manager. Before that, being UUTL. Before that, nothing really.

Favorite Pokemon?
Starmie

Most Used Pokemon?
Dunno, I try to be varied. Probably Mega Aero or Sylveon.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
Way back when at the start of BW (when they still used the Japanese names), one of my friends found Pokemon Online and we played DPP UU together and on the PO server for a bit. That friend lost interest, but I stuck around and was pretty much a ladder hero on Smogon. I made an account in 2011 but didn't really get involved much until the end of 2013. At that time, XYUU beta started and I became involved in the community.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?
Probably Gen 3. Competitively it is the most fun. I don't care for in-game that much and don't have a ton of nostalgia for the originals.

Thoughts on the current metagame of ORAS UU?

It's pretty fun. A lot of people feel obligated to use standard as hell balance teams but there's a ton to explore outside of those.

What is your favorite playstyle?
In my heart I always have a soft spot for offense.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
Not really. Like I said before I think people restrict themselves to their cookie-cutter balance teams because it feels 'safe', but there's a ton of underutilized things that can threaten balance pretty easily. Offense is very good, but a little hindered by how well mons like Sylveon can cover a variety of things in one slot. Stall, like always, has its good and bad matchups.

Thoughts on S/M so far?
Haven't dabbled in to UU alpha too much yet, but I've enjoyed what I've played of OU.

Can you tell us about your experience in SPL and whether you plan on ever playing in it again? Also, what advice would you give to newer tournament players who strive to reach that level of play?
My experience playing SPL is pretty much getting picked up as a random at the end of the auction and being forced to start. I did well (4-2 in UU) and suddenly people knew who I was. I'd love to play again sometime, but managing is also a very fun experience and I don't see myself giving that up. For new players, focus on playing tournaments. Play against well known players. Ladder rank and random replays don't really do much.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
There's way too many to list. The people I hang out with on Discord, UU friends, other members of Senior Staff, etc. Shoutouts McMeghan for being the only other person interested in PTCG!

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Here's a team a built to use against Christo for LTPL. I built the team a few minutes before I had to play him and didn't even bother testing it. I had the idea the CM Espeon would do well vs him, and that turned out to be true. The Celebi set may seem weird but nothing is more frightening than a boosted Celebi behind a sub. The set can deo well if Hydreigon gets lured or weakened, which Espeon and Entei can do. I forget what the Blastoise EVs are for but it's a pretty good check to a ton of things, and the Rocky Helmet on Krook is to wear things down (mostly Aero). Mienshao covers most weaknesses and has a very good matchup vs offense.

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, Sam! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

Past Interviews:
Hairy Toenail - http://pastebin.com/aqDRDWP8
teal6 - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-2-teal6.3576364/page-2#post-6889419
Christo - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-3-christo.3576364/page-2#post-6889419
Omfuga - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-4-omfuga.3576364/page-3#post-6916323
dodmen - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-5-dodmen.3576364/page-5#post-6927526
Hogg - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-6-hogg.3576364/page-5#post-6938848
King UU - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-7-king-uu.3576364/page-6#post-6950905
Pearl - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-8-pearl.3576364/page-7#post-6961579
IronBullet - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-9-ironbullet.3576364/page-8#post-6974040
ZoroDark - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-10-zorodark.3576364/page-9#post-6983919
Ice Tea - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-11-ice-tea.3576364/page-9#post-6995389
Stallion - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-12-stallion.3576364/page-10#post-7006390
Vinc2612 - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-13-vinc2612.3576364/page-11#post-7018663
xMarth - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-14-xmarth.3576364/page-11#post-7075155
Tony - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-15-tony.3576364/page-12#post-7089056
Sacri' - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-16-sacri.3576364/page-12#post-7102343
Shiba - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-17-shiba.3576364/page-13#post-7116669
Rodriblutar - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...k-18-rodriblutar.3576364/page-13#post-7139500
Sam - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-player-of-the-week-19-sam.3576364/page-14#post-7158516

Last edited:
Why did your avatar evolve into an Excadrill then devolve back to a Drilbur??
Also will any one mon you suggested be suspected really balance the metagame or will it be just one step closer in your opinion?

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi andy :]]
Will you ever beat grass knot cresselia?
Who is the best ct auth (after urself)? (Hint: me)
Are you actually planning on leaving uu for ru until it doesnt suck :(
Why do you keep forgetting you are asian
Will you help me and Eyan get Kreme a smogon girlfriend. I heard he was interested in nightingales last I checked.
When are you getting RO? Weren't you on for like 5 days straight?
Do you ever think u'll be better than me at battlefactory?
Want anything from bl?
Favourite gen 6 uu meta?

Why did your avatar evolve into an Excadrill then devolve back to a Drilbur??
The excadrill gif was ugly so i changed it back :(
Also will any one mon you suggested be suspected really balance the metagame or will it be just one step closer in your opinion?
Definitely won't be completely balanced, but it will be a huge step closer imo
Hi andy :]]
Will you ever beat grass knot cresselia?
Who is the best ct auth (after urself)? (Hint: me)
Are you actually planning on leaving uu for ru until it doesnt suck :(
Why do you keep forgetting you are asian
Will you help me and Eyan get Kreme a smogon girlfriend. I heard he was interested in nightingales last I checked.
When are you getting RO? Weren't you on for like 5 days straight?
Do you ever think u'll be better than me at battlefactory?
Want anything from bl?
Favourite gen 6 uu meta?
yes
tnt
yes
i dont!
u guys can marry each other
whenever eyan starts being a good ro
i am??
no but i want starmie!
i didnt play much beta :( e: OH META, i liked early oras a lot
why wasn't cobalioncouncil interviewed first?
-

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Most underrated mon in UU?

Worst popular mon?

IMO UU does not have enough T-Wave. What do you think about a Klefki suspect?

Kill fuck marry: Mamo, Mence, Hydreigon?

I heard you're asian, who is your waifu?

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi Andy you were the biggest steal of all time :]

If I get a team next uupl you'll be on it y/y?

Why is Meek Mill the best in the game?

If Meek isnt being factored as best in the game (he's obv #1), then who is?

mfk Cynde/Kreme/Eyan

Anything from OU you want to drop besides Starmie?

WP Celepass: Shitty gimmick or genius idea?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What are your thoughts on the up and coming MakuFlex movement in LC by yours truly?

Why does Rav sound like a Dutch Swedish Walrus window shopping at IKEA?

I heard you're pals with the UU Papi? Is he as suave and charismatic as the .0000002 % of the population of women in Smogon says he is?

Thoughts on the fact after Nightingales future service in the army that she'll be able to pick up Koala enthusiast Cyndequil and chokeslam him through the floor of a 3 story building?

Top 5 Smogon user avatars in order of greatness. Please use the actual pictures in hidetags in your response.

Why does UU make me want to throw myself out the 2nd floor window? Please provide details to support your claim.

Would you rather be crushed by a gigantic Russian hot mom or Sunny's army of 1000 chanting Indians?

Thoughts on this log?" i have 2 pikachus and a winnie the pooh"

Can we revoke Shiba's question of Meek Mill considering he's just a darker version of Arifeen?

Why is J. Cole one of the worst rappers to ever do it?

Do you feel like when you defeated me in the the first ever PSPL for CT vs Wifi you transcended amongst the gods?

Favorite to win WCOP?

Thoughts on the fact after Nightingales future service in the army that she'll be able to pick up Koala enthusiast Cyndequil and chokeslam him through the floor of a 3 story building?
This seems much more doable.

Also can we please stop shipping me with people? I don't have anything else to add, just don't like being shipped.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
-

If you could ban 1 thing from UU what would it be (if anything?)

You ever play UU in any older gens and if so which + thoughts on them compared to current ORAS UU?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What is cobalioncouncil

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream

Favorite burger toppings

Favorite color

Chocolatey kinda desserts or like fruit kinda things

Salami or pepperoni

Do favorite way to cook burgers / steak (like rare medium)

How do you feel about the Brexit

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What was the inspiration for your "amazing" username?

Worst teambuilding idea you've ever seen come from a "decent" player?

Is hairy toenail really an upgrade from hairy ambipom?

Who's better? King Microwavable or Lord CobalionCouncil?

Speaking of which, why wasn't CobalionCouncil interviewed first?

save the best for last
Most underrated mon in UU?
Arcanine or Rose, both very anti meta
Worst popular mon?
Ehh 'popular' is a very vague term but I guess forretress? if people still consider it's popular. it just tries to do too many things in one slot and doesn't really excel in any of them imo
IMO UU does not have enough T-Wave. What do you think about a Klefki suspect?
free twave sableye
Kill fuck marry: Mamo, Mence, Hydreigon?
Kill mamo, marry hydreigon, fuck mence
I heard you're asian, who is your waifu?
i dont watch anime lol
If I get a team next uupl you'll be on it y/y?
only playing for king uu..
Why is Meek Mill the best in the game?
sry jwittz its #1
If Meek isnt being factored as best in the game (he's obv #1), then who is?
Dj eyan
mfk Cynde/Kreme/Eyan
kill them all and then find a real man
Anything from OU you want to drop besides Starmie?
Manectric and Raikou prolly and Slowbro the KING
WP Celepass: Shitty gimmick or genius idea?
Shittier gimmick than vaporeon offense that works unfortunately
What are your thoughts on the up and coming MakuFlex movement in LC by yours truly?
pidgey and starly have something else to say
Hippo
I heard you're pals with the UU Papi? Is he as suave and charismatic as the .0000002 % of the population of women in Smogon says he is?
friends with myself? i guess
he'd probably enjoy that
Top 5 Smogon user avatars in order of greatness. Please use the actual pictures in hidetags in your response.
too much work zz but Peli has top 1
Why does UU make me want to throw myself out the 2nd floor window? Please provide details to support your claim.
here is a lengthy response to your question http://pastebin.com/sfcuzTQ9
Would you rather be crushed by a gigantic Russian hot mom or Sunny's army of 1000 chanting Indians?
(bhangra)
(bhangra)
Thoughts on this log?" i have 2 pikachus and a winnie the pooh"
whoever said that sounds like a find individual
Can we revoke Shiba's question of Meek Mill considering he's just a darker version of Arifeen?
meek mill the next gsc legend
Why is J. Cole one of the worst rappers to ever do it?
yea u can jump off the nearest cliff
Do you feel like when you defeated me in the the first ever PSPL for CT vs Wifi you transcended amongst the gods?
it was honestly one of the easiest battles ive ever had
Favorite to win WCOP?
BEAST COAST or ASIA :3
In your opinion, who would be some of the best UU players? Whether it be ORAS, DPP or all around. Also jesus christ AM. O__O
I never played much older gens so I'll just list some of the best oras players in my opinion. Hikari teal omfuga dod bugzi in no particular order
If you could ban 1 thing from UU what would it be (if anything?)
Mamo
You ever play UU in any older gens and if so which + thoughts on them compared to current ORAS UU?
Only uu 'older gen' i played at a competitive level was XY which i had a lot of fun playing although it was arguably more unbalanced with jirachi and zygarde running around
What is cobalioncouncil
user i lost to in pspl so these COMEDIANS keep bringing it up
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream
mint choco or cookie dough :D
Favorite burger toppings
lettuce tomato onion pickle mushrooms
Favorite color
blue
Chocolatey kinda desserts or like fruit kinda things
Depends on my mood honestly but generally i like cake kinds of deserts or cookies
Salami or pepperoni
don't really like either too much but if i had to choose i guess pepperoni
Do favorite way to cook burgers / steak (like rare medium)
medium
How do you feel about the Brexit
im probably the most uneducated person about this topic only learning about stuff from twitter memes. from what i know tho it sucks for them and its pretty amusing for everyone else
What was the inspiration for your "amazing" username?
[5/13/16, 12:34:19 AM] Andrew: when i first joined ps it was just to trade pokemon on the cartridge
[5/13/16, 12:34:28 AM] Andrew: so i just picked a random adj and noun
[5/13/16, 12:34:36 AM] Andrew: i didnt think i would get that invested
[5/13/16, 12:34:39 AM] Andrew: and it just stuck
Worst teambuilding idea you've ever seen come from a "decent" player?
probably scarf cobalion from some brain dead offense player
Is hairy toenail really an upgrade from hairy ambipom?
probably not
Who's better? King Microwavable or Lord CobalionCouncil?
how can u choose between 2 gods

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why is Kevin Durant an asshole for leaving OKC

Why do you think Kevin Durant left us D:

How do you think GSW would do next year with Durant (this isn't an actual question, idc how they do because fuck them and I hope they lose R1 of playoffs)

Which team should I support now that OKC is dead D:

Why is Kevin Durant an asshole for leaving OKC

Why do you think Kevin Durant left us D:

How do you think GSW would do next year with Durant (this isn't an actual question, idc how they do because fuck them and I hope they lose R1 of playoffs)

Which team should I support now that OKC is dead D:
PJSalt
rate snowball cobalion
(unsee)/10 right up there with scarf coballion and endure weakness policy lucario

what thing would you like to see drop from BL?
Eh nothing really tbh, we've tested everything there already and were rightfully banned. The only things I want really are from ou
Why did you choice a username that puts such a weird image into your mind?
[5/13/16, 12:34:19 AM] Andrew: when i first joined ps it was just to trade pokemon on the cartridge
[5/13/16, 12:34:28 AM] Andrew: so i just picked a random adj and noun
[5/13/16, 12:34:36 AM] Andrew: i didnt think i would get that invested
[5/13/16, 12:34:39 AM] Andrew: and it just stuck

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for reminding me my ORAS game happened. I've been trying to forget that, but at least I got my nerves out of the way early. Anyway...

Are there any players you particularly want to face in UU Open?

How does playing in SPL compare to playing in UUPL (how easy is it to find people to help you build/test in SPL, how does the team environment differ, etc.)?

What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as a player and how do you emphasize your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses?

What qualities do you think make a player great?

Of the matches you played this UUPL, which one was your favorite?

When are you changing your name to something that isn't dumb?

Why am I the best Linda after you and miltankmilk?

Are there any players you particularly want to face in UU Open?
teal hikari sam pak mainly cause theyre probably the biggest players that ive never played in a tournament format and i respect them all as players. there are quite a few others but those are the few that come to mind
How does playing in SPL compare to playing in UUPL (how easy is it to find people to help you build/test in SPL, how does the team environment differ, etc.)?
compared to spl id say that uupl is a lot more laid back as a whole just because in spl theres a lot more on the line. for me personally it wasnt too hard finding people to test because of how many uu players there were on the team omfuga pearl etc. Pearl especially helped me test a ton
What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as a player and how do you emphasize your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses?
I think my biggest strength is my teambuilding. Some weaknesses i'm working on fixing are thinking long term and risk/reward thinking
What qualities do you think make a player great?
Not gonna state obvious stuff like metagame knowledge and what not but something big that i learned recently is just maintaining composure during games and not letting nerves get to you especially in high caliber games
Of the matches you played this UUPL, which one was your favorite?
definitely my game against Accelgor , he had me on my toes the whole game and it came down to the wire
When are you changing your name to something that isn't dumb?
maybe in the very near future :)
Why am I the best Linda after you and miltankmilk?
ur top 1

Can you list 6 Pokémon that, at least 1 of them are mandatory in a bulky offense team?
What's your favorite music and why?
What do you think about Stall nowadays? Is Semi Stall better than Stall actually?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)