SM UU UU: First Team feat. Zoroark

Introduction

Hello everyone, I just got into competitive and this is the team that got me to 1250 elo (which is awesome from my newbish point of view). It has some flaws and sometimes just feels outmatched - that's why I am looking for tips and tricks on how to make this viable on the ladder!

Scarfed Revenge Killer and Volt-Turn

Specs Grass-Coverage and part of Volt-Turn

First Half of the Defensive Core and Defogger

Second Defense Half, Stealth Rocker and Electric Immunity

Offensive Wallbreaker that catches people off guard

Speedy Threat that hits hard

The Team

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
I started off setting my offensive core with MAero, giving it Aqua Tail as Coverage and Pursuit to start the damagedealing early on. Pursuit also destroys Chandelure, Gengar, Celebi and so on. As this outspeeds most leads I encountered it starts to chip away early and though keeping up the pressure. It's also a huge threat and forces out switches - this can be used to set up with illusion form Zoroark.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
The other half of the damagedealing core was chosen to hit mons that MAero is struggling gainst, while also giving the ability to pivot back using Volt Switch.
Being choice locked is sometimes a problem though, so is hitting electric immunity. HP Ice was at the beginning chosen to hit predicted switch ins - I am very rarely clicking it, so at the moment I am unsure what to put in that fourth slot.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog
On the defensive side I went with my favorite duo, giving Empoleon Defog and Toxic to deal with set up sweepers and using Protect and Leftovers as much as possible to slowly heal up if possible. Unfortunately Reuniclus just wrecks this and I have lost too often to it setting up and being immune to toxic.
Defog is mandatory for MAero though, and won me the game versus hazard spam.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic
The other defensive half: Setting up rocks if given the chance, getting the Sandstorm up which three mons on the team are immune to, and taking hits for the team.
Chipping with EQ after the immunity is gone is also doing work - but also limiting when it's just sitting there unable to do damage.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
The classic revenge killer set right here. U-Turn to keep momentum and Gunk Shot mainly to come in on Mega-Altaria and ruin her day.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
In the lower ranks of the ladder this was basically the mvp of the team. Mostly coming in as the lead in disguise and taking down 1-2 mons after the set up.
But also as a mid-game wallbreaker this did a lot of work. Mainly disguised as Infernape, forcing out the opponent and setting up on the anticipated switch in.
I have to admit though that people see through this a lot and more often than I want to admit I just clicked Nasty Plot and got destroyed. Still like it and would ideally keep it on the team.

Conclusion
Hits hard, turns and pivots nicely, but sometimes falls apart. Reuniclus is a huge threat, so is Mega-Sharpeedo, which at +2 Speed just runs through the team. There are more weaknesses I am certain. I am looking to learn and improve, so any help and any modification is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

PS: If any formatting is wrong or I missed something important, let me now! :)

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Dollainthewoods

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’s for Beginners
Solid team, however it loses to a regenerator core of alo and amoonguss pretty handily, banded mamoswine is also a big threat to your team. It’s also checked by quagsire, scarf terrakion, and nihilego. Great first team though
(Btw haven’t played uu in a while so don’t be confused if those mons/sets still ain’t viable)

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey this is a cool team, I think it could go much much further than 1250 with just a minor tweak or two. The team is pretty standard aside from the cool specs mowtom and the Zoroark, one thing about Zoroark though is that it's just kind of gimmicky and doesn't work too well once you get to a certain point in the ladder. The fat m/u is also annoying as as you said the mshark m/u is annoying as well. Anyways let's see what could be done.

- The main thing I'm doing here is simply Lucario > Zoroark. This helps with the mega shark m/u, gives you a zmove user, and improves your stall m/u infinitely. Fighting spam + Empoleon is a really good way of beating Hydreigon w/o a fairy so big ups to you for doing that to fix your no fairy issue. Set is standard.
Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Smaller changes:
- I agree that the reuniclus m/u is annoying ig, luckily that's not exactly a staple in the metagame... but to fix that to an extent would be to go Roar > Protect on Empoleon, this is just an option though, I don't think it's necessary.
- Another option would be to do flying move > Aqua Tail to improve Celebi and Amoonguss m/u, but this is also unnecessary b/c your Hippo m/u suffers a bit.

Solid team, however it loses to a regenerator core of alo and amoonguss pretty handily, banded mamoswine is also a big threat to your team. It’s also checked by quagsire, scarf terrakion, and nihilego. Great first team though
(Btw haven’t played uu in a while so don’t be confused if those mons/sets still ain’t viable)
As for this, regen cores between guss and alo aren't the most common or easy to make work thing in the world but ig you're not wrong? Adding luke helps with both quite a bit, and mamoswine isn't the type of thing every team needs a switch in for since there are so little in the first place. The team has Infernape and Luke and that should be plenty.

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail / Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect / Roar
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Yeah that's it, lmk if you have any questions. I hope this helps and I think this should be more than capable of making it much deeper in the ladder nwn.

Dollainthewoods

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’s for Beginners
Like i said haven’t played uu in a while and Regen core was super good back when amoonguss wasn’t banned, a few months ago, last time I played was back when mega venu got oofed
Hey this is a cool team, I think it could go much much further than 1250 with just a minor tweak or two. The team is pretty standard aside from the cool specs mowtom and the Zoroark, one thing about Zoroark though is that it's just kind of gimmicky and doesn't work too well once you get to a certain point in the ladder. The fat m/u is also annoying as as you said the mshark m/u is annoying as well. Anyways let's see what could be done.

- The main thing I'm doing here is simply Lucario > Zoroark. This helps with the mega shark m/u, gives you a zmove user, and improves your stall m/u infinitely. Fighting spam + Empoleon is a really good way of beating Hydreigon w/o a fairy so big ups to you for doing that to fix your no fairy issue. Set is standard.
Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Smaller changes:
- I agree that the reuniclus m/u is annoying ig, luckily that's not exactly a staple in the metagame... but to fix that to an extent would be to go Roar > Protect on Empoleon, this is just an option though, I don't think it's necessary.
- Another option would be to do flying move > Aqua Tail to improve Celebi and Amoonguss m/u, but this is also unnecessary b/c your Hippo m/u suffers a bit.

As for this, regen cores between guss and alo aren't the most common or easy to make work thing in the world but ig you're not wrong? Adding luke helps with both quite a bit, and mamoswine isn't the type of thing every team needs a switch in for since there are so little in the first place. The team has Infernape and Luke and that should be plenty.

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail / Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect / Roar
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Yeah that's it, lmk if you have any questions. I hope this helps and I think this should be more than capable of making it much deeper in the ladder nwn.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Smaller changes:

Wow! Thanks a ton for the feedback.
Some small questions if I may ask:
On Lucario:
a.) What are you trying to hit with the z-move? Are there main targets in particular?
b.) Is focus blast mandatory? Isn't it better to run a dark attack like dark pulse for coverage?

On MAero:
I was looking at alternatives to Aqua Tail and saw Ice- and Fire-Fang - both looked promising on the first look. What should I go for?

On Rotom-Maw:
HP Ice has still not hit anything. Any advice on an alternative move?

Thanks everyone!

Wow! Thanks a ton for the feedback.
Some small questions if I may ask:
On Lucario:
a.) What are you trying to hit with the z-move? Are there main targets in particular?
b.) Is focus blast mandatory? Isn't it better to run a dark attack like dark pulse for coverage?

On MAero:
I was looking at alternatives to Aqua Tail and saw Ice- and Fire-Fang - both looked promising on the first look. What should I go for?

On Rotom-Maw:
HP Ice has still not hit anything. Any advice on an alternative move?

Thanks everyone!
Ok to answer your questions:

For Lucario:
a)The Z-move is used because 1. You didn’t have it on any other mon so it simply fitted in Lucario’s place and 2. It’s for an All Out Pummeling that can break right through Hippo, Blissey, Alomomola, and some other fat stuff just so that they can’t take a hit and then retaliate.
b) Yeah Focus Blast is mandatory because it’s a powerful Fighting STAB that can destroy any pesky Steels. Dark Pulse isn’t really necessary because Lucario is preserved for the lategame to clean and at that point you should have its counters removed. You also have the team support that synergizes well with Lucario with Rotom-Mow that can deal with Jellicent and Mega Aero and Empoleon takes good care of Moltres along with making sure that you apply more pressure against your opponent by keeping Stealth Rocks up.

For Mega-Aero:
Since you want to remove HP Ice on your Mowtom I think you should opt for Ice Fang. It does less damage but it still nails Hippo and takes care of non Scarf Latias and Hydreigon nicely.

For MowTom:
It depends, but I think HP Fire could work in your 4th slot. Specs Mowtom is a really underrated pick and HP Fire is used as a conventional lure for Scizor who usually just comes in on what it thinks is a predicted Leaf Storm. So yeah HP Fire over HP Ice.

I’m glad to help as well!

Last edited:
Might not be the right place to ask this, but as a new player I struggle to identify the threats I need to get rid of before going for a (mini-)sweep. I nasty plotted with Luke earlier and didn't realize that Moltres just eats the attack and retaliates for the OHKO.
Can someone name the biggest threats to my team and how to play accordingly?

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team. As a team that utilizes the core of Hippowdon + Empoleon + Mega Aerodactyl, I feel like the team has the potential to get even further high on the ladder. I didn't wanna do it, but because you didn't build around Zoroak I decided to change it, sorry about that in advance. I will quote vivalospride here;
it's just kind of gimmicky and doesn't work too well once you get to a certain point in the ladder.
  • As a balanced team, it is too weak to Hydreigon because of the lack of a Fairy-type. I replaced Togekiss > Zoroark to help it. I chose the set of Nasty Plot + Flamethrower with Babiri Berry, because of the poor stall matchup. It also allows your team to have an easier time checking Scizor.
  • I wanted another setup sweeper, one that can utilize a Z-move. I changed Celebi > Rotom-Mow because it really appreciates Togekiss checking Hydreigon and luring Steel-types. Furthermore, it helps with the matchup against bulky Ground- and Water-types like Swampert, Alomomola, and Hippowdon. Rotom-Mow had to lock itself into a move to deal with them, which is very exploitable.
  • Two minor changes I did is Whirlwind > Toxic on Hippowdon just so Scizor does not attempt to set up on it. Also, as vivalospride said, your matchup against opposing Celebi and Amoonguss is pretty tough, so Wing Attack > Aqua Tail on Mega Aerodactyl would be very appreciated. Celebi already deals with bulky Ground-types that Aqua Tail hits :blobthumbsup:.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

I hope that the rate helped, feel free to ask any question!

• As a balanced team, it is too weak to Hydreigon because of the lack of a Fairy-type. I replaced Togekiss > Zoroark to help it. I chose the set of Nasty Plot + Flamethrower with Babiri Berry, because of the poor stall matchup. It also allows your team to have an easier time checking Scizor.
  • I wanted another setup sweeper, one that can utilize a Z-move. I changed Celebi > Rotom-Mow because it really appreciates Togekiss checking Hydreigon and luring Steel-types. Furthermore, it helps with the matchup against bulky Ground- and Water-types like Swampert, Alomomola, and Hippowdon. Rotom-Mow had to lock itself into a move to deal with them, which is very exploitable.
  • Two minor changes I did is Whirlwind > Toxic on Hippowdon just so Scizor does not attempt to set up on it. Also, as vivalospride said, your matchup against opposing Celebi and Amoonguss is pretty tough, so Wing Attack > Aqua Tail on Mega Aerodactyl would be very appreciated. Celebi already deals with bulky Ground-types that Aqua Tail hits :blobthumbsup:.

I hope that the rate helped, feel free to ask any question!
Thanks for your help!
Since I was disappointed in Rotom-Maws performance and had to take a lot of chip damage on necessary switches due to the choice specs, I was debating to switch it.
Celebi looks like a good choice. I was thinking of using Serperior though:

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire

What do you think about that? Especially since I am not to sure about Togekiss... I really liked the Lucario-Add, especially with Z-Move.
Like vivalospride said above Empoleon plus Fighting Moves of Luke and Infernape covers this too a good extent. Not too sure about Latias though...
Maybe vivalospride can give his opinion on this Togekiss vs Lucario debate?

Thanks!

Thanks for your help!
Since I was disappointed in Rotom-Maws performance and had to take a lot of chip damage on necessary switches due to the choice specs, I was debating to switch it.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire

What do you think about that? Especially since I am not to sure about Togekiss... I really liked the Lucario-Add, especially with Z-Move.
Like vivalospride said above Empoleon plus Fighting Moves of Luke and Infernape covers this too a good extent. Not too sure about Latias though...

Thanks!
Serperior was recently banned.
Since switching in on Z-Fight Sciz or even Superpower Sciz can be troublesome, I feel what Amane Misa said about Babiri Togekiss is the way to go. Though this is still tough to switch in on Sciz it can help out if you predict correctly around Sciz it should be fine.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Thanks for your help!

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire

Thanks!
Latias is covered with Empo + Hippo (for elec z lati), also idk why yall are acting like Lucario and Togekiss are primary Scizor answers on both teams. If you hard into Scizor with either of these mons don't expect it to go well most of the time. Lucario is a soft check, Togekiss is a lure. We went completely different directions with the team so you can't really compare the two. I personally think Amane Misa did a better job by replacing mowtom with Celebi and going from there, which is something I didn't do because I didn't want to mess with the starting core. I do think Togekiss is unnecessary given the fact that there's Scarf Nape + Empo and that does a pretty good job of checking Hydreigon though. Either way both rates are fine.

All of you, thank you very much! You help a ton.
I did like Lucario from the couple testgames today, but I'll look into the changes you put up. Cheers, Folks!

PS: When did Serp get banned? I looked that up yesterday, or didn't I? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)