Project UPL Set/Team Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
op stolen from Sacri

Now that UPL is over, I want to invite everyone who participated to share any interesting sets and teams they used and discuss how they prepared for and/or played specific matches. I think this will help the community gain some more insight into how to prepare for tournament play instead of ladder play, especially with Ubers Open coming up.

very brief note on prep: remember prep is a two-way street. obviously players want to gain an advantage by bringing threats / playstyles that their opponent is often unprepared for or exploits a common trend / theme in their teambuilding. however, it's key to remember to cover your own ass as well; if you're weak to the same threat or use the same sets week after week you're liable to be counterstyled yourself. additionally, don't go overboard with counterstyling (in most cases) if it sacrifices too much of your team's matchup vs other playstyles. it can introduce too much variance in match results, which is usually unwanted unless you know you can't win without insurmountable matchup advantage / know exactly what your opponent is bringing.

you can check out some of my adv teams here

here's some bw2 stuff i built recently (largely untested, use at your own risk):

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 4 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 88 HP / 228 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar
- Stealth Rock

i built this around lando-i + jolly bandtar, a combo that seemed cool because you can force in ground immunes and trap them consistently. scarf lando is so good against offense it's kind of crazy; they often will have no mons that outspeed it and 0-1 that can avoid that 2hko from sand boosted eq (relevant calc: 252 Atk Sand Force Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Type in Sand: 178-210 (40 - 47.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage). exca just adds to this pressure, as it shares almost every check with lando. might be ekiller weak.

Arceus-Fighting @ Fist Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Recover

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 200 Atk / 224 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Scald

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse
- Extreme Speed
- Spikes

i wanted to build around specsdra because i think it's fairly underrated; definitely a good mon vs most offenses and balances with hazards up. ogre+fightceus checks darkrai well, alleviating the need for a scarfer here. deo-a+exca+tina-o sets hazards / spinblocks while checking some key threats (lati@s, sd arcs, etc). generally you want to get up hazards as quickly as possible and rack up general chip with status and phazing before attempting a kingdra sweep.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 144 HP / 112 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Spikes

EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

i firmly believe froslass is the worst hazard lead in bw2 but other people seem to like it so i wanted to try it out. i ended up with this build, which utilizes froslass' strengths of anti-leading nearly all spikers while not being weak to spinners. the rest of the team helps cover the darkrai / genesect lead matchup. specsogre is pretty threatening under the right conditions, so it's important to get up spikes / sr as fast as possible to limit the number of times it can switch in.

Dialga @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

scarf dialga is a mon i've always really liked but it's hard to justify using this gen. here, it serves as a way to force out tina-o, a sleep absorber, and a general cleaner / utility check. the rest of the team is just there for moral support and hazards.

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
I'm here to post some thoughts on adv the metagame. Before Upl I really had no experience with adv. I learned it by just playing with friends but I really never thought about taking it seriously but like the last 2 weeks before upl I decided I might wanna give it a try especially if my team needed to slot me there. It just so happens I was on a team with hack which guaranteed that I would be playing adv while he played bw2 so I guess it all worked out. Adv is pretty weird because it's so underdeveloped that nothing is really standard and there's only a few teams that are well known and have had a ton of success but even then there are hundreds of varients of that team because in adv you can really check most of the tier in like 4 slots leaving a team to fill the last slots with a vareity of pokemon from something with no defensive synergy like deo a or something that has a ton of synergy making the team more secure. Even though I never really tested during the weeks of upl with my teammates but we did build a few squads but some of them weren't ever used. I don't feel comfortable posting full teams for a few reasons. The biggest reason is I just want to keep some of the teams I made between myself and a few friends because we might be using them in tourplay and I don't want to have to make more squads so people won't be able to suspect what teams I will bring. The other reason is like I said above a team can have so many varients so my opinion on which varient is the best might not be the same for everyone. That's why I'm gonna post some cool cores that I liked building around.

Leab wob + ninjask is a core I used to make a scary baton pass team. It sounds gimmicky but it can be suprisingly effective. Lead wob isn't the most common thing and it's really weird but it has its perks. The most common lead is latios which you can encore and mirror coat or if it decides to cm then encore into ninjask to setup so it's pretty good. Removing latios right away is pretty clutch if you have a kyogre in the back that can take advantage of this. Another wicked common lead is groudon. Wob can get off a free encore on eq, twave, toxic, basically anything a lead groudon has which means you can encore then pivot into ninjask to setup for free. Kyogre is by far the best lead vs wob so you need a pretty good way to deal with kyogre. Lead mewtwo will be forced into clicking boom so you are at the advantage. The rest of the team needs the same stuff all adv teams but it's just gonna be more offensive with mons that enjoy getting speed + attack boosts.
Wobbuffet @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Safeguard

Ninjask @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

This looks like a pretty standard core by the looks of it but I'm gonna get more in depth. During my 2nd week of upl facing shrang I build a sun team with curse lax as the special tank over blissey. The problem with this sun team was I had trouble removing steel types like forretress, skarmory and others. Even though I had a Ho-oh the steels types obviously were just gonna switch. In the long run lax will get overwhelmed before hooh has time to break through the other team by getting free switches into the steel types. I really wanted to fit magneton onto the team but there was no room so instead of running rest on lax I deciced to run fireblast. This in the sun makes it easy to lure in steel types and get rid of them easily. Not only that but when you can remove steels types there are only so many things that can stop lax so it becomes extremely threatening. Not the craziest set or core but it sure is effective.
Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 224 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roar

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Fire Blast
- Body Slam
- Shadow Ball

The idea behind this core was pretty basic. It's sub baton pass celebi instead of sd because passing subs is more consistent than sd. Basically the gameplan was to just annoy ppl with sub/leech seed but also sub then pass into strong hitters. I used this game 1 vs shrang and iirc the team was celebi, heracross, metagross, kyogre, latios, and lax. So the rest of the team all benefits from gaining free momentum while having sub up to make sure they don't lose any damage on the switch in. I chose heracross over something like groudon because heracross is extremely hard to check and imo it's more threatening than groudon but it just has less bulk so switching is hard but that can be done with the help of celebi.
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Reversal
- Swords Dance / Rock Slide
- Endure / Substitue

If you guys want me to add more I can but these are the ones that came to my mind

Last edited:

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Facade
- Defog
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Defensive Defog mence is a vert interesting set in my opinion, I used it twice in this UPL in a defog-less arceus-dark team. I used dragon dance in order to threaten ferrothorn a bit harder but toxic and dragon tail are fine too I guess.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-575664182
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-569112867

Yveltal @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Dark Aura
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Darkinium Z yveltal's firepower is terrifying :
252+ SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Ground: 330-388 (74.3 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 297-351 (73.6 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus: 328-387 (86 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 195-231 (43 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
I also used u-turn in order to lure scarf (or just allows me to pivot around arceus-dark), and sucker punch just bop blissey
4 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 501-591 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In the same team as the big black burd i used a weird core of CM-Refresh Arceus-rock and defensive Buzzwole, they cover each other weaknesses near flawlessy, but you definitely should use some strong Groudon and xerneas check.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-579201265

Arceus @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute

This set is also super strong in the current metagame imo, as it can just set up on every regular ekiller check bar Sableye. (thousand arrows and heavy slam from zygarde and celesteela don't
break sub).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-569121757
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-579206855

very brief note on prep: remember prep is a two-way street. obviously players want to gain an advantage by bringing threats / playstyles that their opponent is often unprepared for or exploits a common trend / theme in their teambuilding. however, it's key to remember to cover your own ass as well; if you're weak to the same threat or use the same sets week after week you're liable to be counterstyled yourself. additionally, don't go overboard with counterstyling (in most cases) if it sacrifices too much of your team's matchup vs other playstyles. it can introduce too much variance in match results, which is usually unwanted unless you know you can't win without insurmountable matchup advantage / know exactly what your opponent is bringing.

you can check out some of my adv teams here

here's some bw2 stuff i built recently (largely untested, use at your own risk):

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 4 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar
- Stealth Rock

i built this around lando-i + jolly bandtar, a combo that seemed cool because you can force in ground immunes and trap them consistently. scarf lando is so good against offense it's kind of crazy; they often will have no mons that outspeed it and 0-1 that can avoid that 2hko from sand boosted eq (relevant calc: 252 Atk Sand Force Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Type in Sand: 178-210 (40 - 47.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage). exca just adds to this pressure, as it shares almost every check with lando. might be ekiller weak.

Arceus-Fighting @ Fist Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Recover

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 200 Atk / 224 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Scald

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse
- Extreme Speed
- Spikes

i wanted to build around specsdra because i think it's fairly underrated; definitely a good mon vs most offenses and balances with hazards up. ogre+fightceus checks darkrai well, alleviating the need for a scarfer here. deo-a+exca+tina-o sets hazards / spinblocks while checking some key threats (lati@s, sd arcs, etc). generally you want to get up hazards as quickly as possible and rack up general chip with status and phazing before attempting a kingdra sweep.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 144 HP / 112 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Groudon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Spikes

EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

i firmly believe froslass is the worst hazard lead in bw2 but other people seem to like it so i wanted to try it out. i ended up with this build, which utilizes froslass' strengths of anti-leading nearly all spikers while not being weak to spinners. the rest of the team helps cover the darkrai / genesect lead matchup. specsogre is pretty threatening under the right conditions, so it's important to get up spikes / sr as fast as possible to limit the number of times it can switch in.

Dialga @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

scarf dialga is a mon i've always really liked but it's hard to justify using this gen. here, it serves as a way to force out tina-o, a sleep absorber, and a general cleaner / utility check. the rest of the team is just there for moral support and hazards.
I think your teams in general are well made, especially the skarm sand: it utilizes the advantages of scarf dialga pretty well. I wouldn't count on the band ttar team to do that well though, seems fairly reactive to the common sdef ogre+steel cores around. It gets a bit too hard to punish ogre in general when running 4 water weaks regardless of how many checks to you pack.

I have some bw2 stuff as well. Basically to preface me and kebabe spent a fair while gimicking around with bw things before starting to build solid stuff again. It was fun to reinvent my views on the tier... Credits to problems as well, as he allowed me access to the old archives on the IDM forums. Basically I tried to reiterate on stuff people had already made, making small adjustments and hopefully optimizations. You don't always have to that creative and some sets I fancy in bw2 aren't exactly new but here are some I like:

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf / Roost / Calm Mind
- Roar

Quite possibly the best spikes abuser in the tier. I used to always run HP Fire on Latios but with time I grew annoyed of not having max speed. With Roar+spikes you own Ferro anyway. Surf is a neat anti spin tech, which I favor on rain, but Roost practically never dies vs stall and CM puts on the beatdown.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball / Power Whip
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn can actually lure well... other Ferrothorn quite well. It will give you the edge in the hazard war and pave way for mons like Latios (see above), Kyogre, Eleceus etc. Just make sure to pack additional Kyogre answers...

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Fire Blast / Taunt

Nothing new but I would say lead TTar is by far the best lead in the tier. It pretty much dominates every lead bar Darkrai. It almost always grants you momentum. Use with a sleep absorber (sdef Kyogre should be a go-to mon in general). I fancy Taunt for some slower stuff sometimes, for example if you really wanna prevent Tspikes from Forretress.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

I never got to use this because I didn't have the balls but I am fairly certain it is viable. Most teams in bw2 doesn't have true flying mons and instead rely on levitate Lati@s/Giratina-O to take EQs. Exca has a pretty good typing for a scarfer and can emergency spin at times. I don't run Iron Head since it only hits Gliscor.

Kyurem-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 212 HP / 72 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Fusion Flare
- Ice Beam

I ran this on Espeon sun. Outruns and OHKOs Landt/jolly Groudon. Toxic is anti anti sun (Arc-Rock/Water) and Turboblaze provides the usuall anti sturdy support for keeping some hazard users at bay.

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Sub CM does 2 things: it punishes Genesect via hazards and it sets up on Power Whip Ferrothorn. Those two things big enough to warrant usage. Also you can protect yourself from status and crits, which is usually something that happens to Latias a lot.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 136 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

My Exca evs make sure you live 2 Fire Punches from Deo-S, which is nicer than dying.

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Donkey made this back in the day and I think it is a great set that I had on a few teams. Surf is anti Exca/Forre/Heatran/Ho-oh which is helpful for certain bulkier rain teams. It is just a reliable support mon, use it.

I'm not the biggest on set innovation so I guess that's pretty much it. Might drop some teams as well

EternalSnowman

DPL Champion
I wanted to post a few of my fun sets since I like to use "niche" sets that generally perform well against certain styles or due to opponent's lack of knowledge of these sets.

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Probably my favorite set recently, as it punishes a lot of common SD Ghostceus switchins like MMence and Zygarde-C. Ghostium Z is used over Plate since there are scenarios where you want to click Z-Move to bluff physical. The set lacks recover, but can often function as a midgame wallbreaker or late game sweeper and has few counters outside of extremely specially bulky mons like Ho-oh, Chansey/Blissey and Magearna. The mon is run very well with Primal Groudon which appreciates its checks/counters getting removed (Zygarde-C and Mence), and can beat the mons that threaten Ghostceus.

Xerneas @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Fairy Aura
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Close Combat
- Thunder

A really good option vs. stall teams, it provides a lot of pressure between Plate Moonblast and Aroma, making it a threatening force that can loosely bluff Specs. CC is chosen over Focus Blast to hit Chans/Bliss while still maintaining coverage on Ferrothorn, making it a good option vs. stall. The main reason to use this set over specs is the option to change moves and not lose momentum when clicking Aroma, which can often be a good option vs. Stall.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 112 Atk / 252 SpA / 144 SpD
Mild / Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
- Roar
- Precipice Blades

Although Evopass is now a thing of the past, this set was one of the best ways to deal with it, as long as you add Gira-O to the team. Overheat has a good chance to OHKO Mew, while roar ensures that Eevee cant free set up. Overheat also hits absurdly hard to anything that doesn't resist it or is named Chansey/Blissey. Otherwise set is pretty standard.

Yveltal @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Foul Play
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Another Z-Move set that I have been using with Yveltal, as it provides a huge amount of pressure. Other options such as Sucker and Toxic also work, but the reason this set is so threatening comes from Z-Hurricane bopping Xerneas on the mouth, OHKO'ing offensive sets while normally taking down Geo sets down after a Dark Pulse. The set also can be assumed to be Scarf due to U-turn being run, switch xern in on Dark Pulse and eat a Supersonic Skystrike.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR 96 HP / 196 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch / Toxic / Bullet Punch / Psych Up
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake / Grass Knot

MMeta pretty underrated mon in this meta, since it hits very hard even by Ubers standards, has a decent speed tier and provides an important slot that checks Xerneas, beating both Geo sets as long as it maintains full health. The other slots can be used for a variety of options, I personally enjoy having EQ + Ice Punch to threaten a good majority of the meta, but Psych Up can be used against Z-Geo Xern to set up a sweep, while Toxic / Tpunch can punsh would be switchins like Ho-oh.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Surf / Overheat / Thunder / Toxic
- Draco Meteor
- Extreme Speed

Although I didn't use it during UPL, I think MixRay is one of my favorite sets alltime, as it lures common Ray checks and bops them with appropriate coverage, making it extremely threatening, especially when used alternately with DD / SD Skystrike Ray. Surf hits PDon and provides OK coverage vs. Arc-Ground and Ho-oh, while Overheat is for Steels like Magearna, Celesteela and Ferro, Thunder hits Ho-oh and Ybird hard but mainly hits Arc-Water and Celesteela, while Toxic hits most support arcs on the switch. Draco hits Mence and Zygarde, other parts of the set are pretty self explanatory.

These sets are what I enjoy using and think are fun and underrated, the ones I especially like are the CM Ghostceus set, and I hope more people incorporate interesting sets into their gameplay, as I feel SM Ubers is a tier that allows for a ton of creativity!

here are some cool sets I experimented with during upl, didn't end up using all of them but definitely would have if we had played more weeks.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Extreme Speed
- Gravity

I used this in w5 vs seir although I don't think I actually revealed gravity, but basically gravity allows you to hit many of groundceus's most common switchins like gira-o and especially celesteela. if you sd and then set gravity on a predicted switch, you can start spamming +2 earth plate boosted eqs which are extremely hard to switch into.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed / Knock Off

I never got to use this but this is essentially ferro's standard set with sd over spikes. the good thing about this set is you can punish players that try to gain the upper hand by pivoting around ferrothorn. power whip grabs some nice chip damage on pdon at +2 and allows ferro to 1v1 yvetal sometimes. sd also gives you an easier way to break more defensive mons such as support arc formes, zygarde-c, and zgeo xerneas.

Deoxys-Attack @ Psychium Z
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed / Nasty Plot

used this against tdk in w2, z psycho boost is strong as fuck, and is just unbelievable under terrain (ohkos just about anything that isn't immune at +2 under terrain, including ferro and blobs, and a chance to ohko magearna). the main selling point of this set is it basically gives you two hits with psycho boost, since z psycho doesn't lower special attack. an added plus is you can bluff sash which is helpful sometimes.

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast / Psyshock
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire

also brought this vs tdk though i never got to use it, calm mind is not always reliable in practice but it sure was fun to use during tests. lele can force alot of switches which gives setup opportunities with calm mind. it's pretty dependent on being able to ohko stuff at +1 though which it isn't always able to do.

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Extreme Speed / Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

used this in w4 vs pohjis, unfortunately poisonceus didn't get to do much. it's pretty good at dealing with xern in a meta where zgeo is not uncommon. rest of the moves are just to cover stuff like mence and pdon and ensure they don't setup for free.

Last edited:

hyw

Banned deucer.
this some dank ass fire shit from ma bamboo hating nigga foggi

SM
Finals hyw vs. Pohjis
G1:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

G2:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

ORAS
Week 2 Benbe vs. Cranham
G1:

Yveltal @ Choice Band
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Spikes

EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

G2:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 208 Def / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Geomancy

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 96 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Taunt

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

DPP
Week 4 hyw vs. BKC
G1:

Tentacruel @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Ojama (Dialga) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Thunder
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Grass Knot

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 Def / 36 SpA / 88 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Lugia @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 84 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Roost

G2:

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Roar of Time
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder

Palkia @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spacial Rend
- Trick Room
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Heatran @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Trick
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

EVs: 212 Atk / 160 Def / 8 SpD / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake

Week 5 Benbe vs. Alex Walls
G2:

Kyogre @ Lum Berry
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Metal Sound

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Giratina (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Payback
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

And a bonus dank ass team that i (foggi) made with benbe way before upl:

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Grass Knot

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Thunder
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

Shiny: Yes
EVs: 220 Atk / 160 Def / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Low Kick

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

ADV
Week 4 Benbe vs. 0kay
G1:

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Self-Destruct

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind

Omastar @ Mystic Water
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Spikes

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Deoxys-Attack @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Shadow Ball
- Extreme Speed
- Rock Slide

G2:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Shadow Ball
- Return
- Focus Punch

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
Brave Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Explosion

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Claw
- Recover
- Refresh

Groudon @ Salac Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Wasn't tagged, but I'll take the time to share some stuff I built throughout UPL, especially some ORAS stuff since this gen kinda went unexplored and just saw Dice/Hack teams for the majority.

ORAS:

Finals vs Lacus Clyne

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder
- Nasty Plot

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Toxic

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 168 Atk / 144 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

EVs: 248 Def / 248 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- Defog / Shadow Sneak

Steelceus is a fun Pokemon in my opinion with the right support, kinda anti-metagame towards specific trends and players, it also allowed me to utilise a more offensive Groudon set to tear balances apart, like the Swords Dance + Stealth Rock set I used in this team. I really wanted to shake it up in the finals and Steelceus is something that naturally does well against Lacus Clyne and overall it's a solid team as far as Steelceus teams go. Unfortunately I had a very unlucky series and the game didn't go my way at all.

Week 4 vs Hugo Barrington

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 96 HP / 104 Def / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast

EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Toxic
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

I think I used this Game 2 vs Hugo Barrington, I always wanted to try a Mega Lucario despite people saying how awful it is, Deo-a + Mega lucario sounded like an interesting core to try Hugo's builds seemed to naturally struggle vs Mega Luke + Arceus Water + Deo-a combinations from what I observed in replays, Arceus-Water obviously for those Ho-oh teams and my prep really paid off, sadly I did not get to utilise Lucario at all as his team pretty much got soloed by Arceus Water in my Game once he lost Ferrothorn to Groudon.

Week 3 vs Blim

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 136 HP / 200 Atk / 32 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 96 HP / 104 Def / 244 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I'd probably get called for being a madman for bringing Hyper Offense against a player like Blim, but it worked out really well, when discussing it with the team, they came to the conclusion that Blim might bring some form of HO in a game and that's exactly what happened both games.

It was probably one of my favourite and best executed games in UPL, something I'm really proud of. Team is pretty standard as most things go for Excadrill Offenses, The Excadrill set I will give credit to Gunner since it's his set, not much to say about the team however.

Miscellaneous teams

Dialga @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 232 Atk / 32 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 200 Def / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Rock]

I believe I used this vs Lord Outrage in week 2, however it is my 'go to' team and I've used it in the metagame for a long while, my take on a Dialga Offense in ORAS (I'm such a Dialga fangirl and I think everyone knows this). The name comes from Gunner Rohan who kept dubbing it 'Cranham Doghorse' or 'Bonk', it won him a final so I'll take any credit this team can get :p

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

EVs: 248 Def / 248 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Focus Blast

EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

In hindsight I shouldn't have posted this team. this is something I built, but kept deciding against almost every week, the fear of playing Darkrai Offense which is something it naturally struggles against, those matchups are workable and it involves leading Gengar basically and finding room to defog later on, though the matchup can be rough, I used a klefki version of this build against Benbe (which is the obvious optimisation to make the build less Mence and Darkrai weak).

The concept of the team was for me to mainly shake up and move away from my predictability of what I usually bring, but sadly it never saw the light of day, despite ripping opposing balances apart I wasn't too convinced about the chances of an opponent bringing a balance team against me.

Sun & Moon:

Week 5 vs Finchinator:

DRIZZLE DRIZZLE (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 192 HP / 240 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpD / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Recover
- Defog

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Facade
- Roost

Sun & Moon is a metagame I really wanted to play and I'm glad I got to at least play it once, this is the only team I actually 'built' for Finchinator, Sun and Moon is a metagame I wanted to get into and my ORAS approach to teambuilding was really hurting my dimensions of how I see the metagame. Though a bit standard, this is my approach on a CM Kyogre Balance, something that I took note of that deals with a lot of common stall trends in SM and breaks them down. Sadly, like the Lacus series, this team didn't have the best of luck and didn't really get to perform.

Teams that didn't make the cut

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Recover

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hex
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic
- Defog

Arceus-Electric @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Roar

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 248 Def / 196 SpA / 64 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hex
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic
- Defog

Arceus-Electric @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Roar

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch

I was feeling a bit wild this week, I believe this was me trying to explore sun and moon, helping to prep for Leru and someone came up with the wild idea of that is Electric Arceus which is a Pokemon that un-ironically performed really well against him . Obviously the Xerneas version is Xerneas weak, but it was supposed to be a build for a specific player, The Ho-oh version is me trying to make an Electric Arceus team as well as possible for how Electric Arceus builds go for the sake of creativity, Exiline couldn't wield such a monster and went with the Buzzwole and Rock Arcues team instead.

Summary:

While most of these teams aren't really optimised and were for specific players, playing UPL was a fantastic experience for me and I'm glad I got to play it and really develop myself, I am looking forward to next year to play some really solid players again and maybe in SM / Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon!

Last edited:
I wasn't really in upl, as even though i was drafted, i had no intentions of playing. But, I made a cool team for benbe and made another cool team for myself that I think is interesting enough to share.

This is the Dual Screen team I made for benbe. Other versions use Dual Screen Healing Wish Jirachi, SD darkrai, SD infernape, SD Fire Fang Chomp, and DD latios.

There is a special Dual Screen team that I like more (and was the original) with the same deoxys / zong, but included lum cm 3 attacks Kyogre; NP Focus Blast, vacuum wave, HP ice Infernape; CM surf Latios; Lum Darkrai; and LO 4 attacks mewtwo (and one CM 2 attacks SD mewtwo).

Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 76 SpA / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Mild Nature
- Spikes
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Taunt

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Rayquaza @ Lum Berry
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Groudon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 136 HP / 224 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Draco Meteor

I made this second team shortly after upl and was planning to use it vs benbe in PO's uml, but he wanted to do a ban / pick pokemon battle and I obliged. And after giving it to a few others, it had already been used on smogtours, so I chose to use CP deoxys week 2 instead of this cool team.

The idea has been done before but came to me when I was watching someone use my triple taunt gliscor team. We had a discussion concerning what mon to go to after CS darkrai slept something, and then the idea of deoxys came to me. So I have CS darkrai sleep hopefully the deoxys, then bring in my own deoxys to set up a lead matchup almost every time.

I also tested a scizor set which is really cool: SD Occa scizor. Lum / Iron Plate could also be used but occa lets you check stuff or set up in a pinch / comfortably and bluffs a choice item.

And who doesn't love Scarf Gira A? Or Cm Lugia? A lot of people.

Darkrai @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 248 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Superpower
- Taunt

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 40 SpA / 180 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder

Giratina @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Lugia @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost

This last team is just too fun to not post. Rain spam has been done before, but people wouldn't expect it from me because I never use kabutops / kingdra and rarely use kyogre–not even with ludicolo. Deoxys sets the spikes, Zong checks the rays and has that dpp uu synergy of water steel. Manaphys set may look weird without rest, but I can't afford a momentum loss from 1) not having the correct coverage move 2) Resting on a weather change and 3) I need a ray check because that is the bane of rain teams. Hydration is still nice to block jirachis, darkrais, and some zongs from preventing or slowing down the team with status.

Splash plates are used for power + bluffing. Though every time I post these teams, I lose the bluff so whatever.

Deoxys-Speed @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpA / 168 SpD / 12 Spe
Mild Nature
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Spikes

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Kyogre @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Thunder
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Kabutops @ Splash Plate
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Kingdra @ Splash Plate
EVs: 132 Atk / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Surf

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Payback

as for individual sets, I've had fun with this mewtwo lead

Mewtwo @ White Herb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Self-Destruct

Psychic stops tentacruels without resorting to SD. FB is needed to make sure darkrai and ttar die. You now lose to scarf darkrai if they void (you live pulse), but you now stop froslass spikes 100% and keep your speed for momentum. I think the trade off is worth it if you have a good sleep absorber (say scarf / specs / band sleep talkers–kyogre, dialga, garchomp). Ice beam is for ray and giras. You don't outright beat either, but you can always save the mewtwo. Fire blast can also be used if you fear jirachis or scizors more and don't have a skarmory like I do.

I was going to post here after my run in the Ubers Pentathlon was over because I was using teams only very had access to and I wanted to succeed in that tournament. After getting on a massive tilt and ending up losing I was not going to share stuff I was using - even though in the end I didn't even use those teams - because I wanted to save those teams for future tournaments. However, I couldn't let my selfishness - for possible glory in the future - be in the way of contributing to this tier and community.

Dice mentioned that Sun and Moon Ubers in Ubers Premier League didn't bring much to the table. I agree with him that most of the teams we saw were different variations of hyper offense and so called "Ho-Oh balance", bulky offense that included Mega-Salamence and a steel type which was usually Celesteela, Baton Pass and stalls that we have seen in the past. Teams we saw weren't usually out of the ordinary and I won't blame anyone who played this tier for bringing stuff that was usually safe to use. For a spectate standpoint it might have been boring to see safe and common stuff used over and over but regardless of that I still enjoyed spectating SM Ubers games. This generation is fun despite being a bit bulkier metagame.

Time to stop blabbering and share some of my ideas and teams.

SM Ubers

I used this team against the Hyw. I lost to him in the seasonal which he ended up winning and in those games he used stall in all three games. I expected him to bring stall again and the team and especially that Shaymin-S set couldn't have worked better. I ended up losing the next two games and the whole series in three games but the first game of the series was the game I enjoyed the most out of all the SM Ubers games I played during this Ubers Premier League. Maybe my first game against the very same Winter Seasonal winner in the finals was better and I enjoyed that game too a lot.

I don't know what this team is and why it was ever used. I only remember Reje daring me to use his team after the week was won and I did end up winning via a lot of hax.

This is another team I used week three against Seirle. Even though this team has no flying resists it had some really cool stuff I always wanted to use. I ended up winning this game.

I always wanted to use Ice Punch Mega-Lucario and Dominatio was the perfect opponent due to him using Salamence or Zygarde in every game. I had Scarf Xerneas to punish his PsySpam teams and I paired it with Celesteela to check physical attackers and Xerneas. Arceus-Dark was there to check Lunala and trap fat 'mons that prevent Zygarde to sweep. I got lucky in my game against him but the match-up was as good as I planned and I ended up winning.

A semi-stall kind of team obii used against Poek and I used against Dominatio. I think we both had a pretty good match-up but we ended up losing due to misplaying and getting unlucky. The team otherwise is just a different variation of those semi-stall teams but it seems outdated now after Marshadow was released.

I didn't use this team in the Ubers Premier League but I wanted to share it here because I used it in the Smogon Premier League. I want to give a huge shout-out to Eren. and Omfuga helping me make this team that had so many cool things to use. Arceus-Fairy with Stealth Rock to pressure stall with Double Dance Primal-Groudon. Dragon Dance Zygarde is one of my personal favourite sets to use and it has sweeping potential with Groundium Z. Salamence (jolly cuz omfather) and Ferrothorn were my defensive backbones. Choice Scarf Tapu Lele is there to revenge kill and bopping those Lunalas with Shadow Ball.

---

I mentioned earlier that people kept recycling stuff someone has used in the past. I also did that in my other games which I used either Level 56's team in this game and Gunner Rohan's teams from these two games with slightly different and updated sets. I had several ideas regarding sets and here are some of them:

Celesteela @ Rockium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam

Celesteela @ Groundium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Blast
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam

The first set was to catch defensive Ho-Oh with Z-Move Stone Edge. The second set was meant to OHKO Mega-Gengar and hit Primal-Groudon hard. Last set is to help against Mega-Lucario and Ferrothorn.

Xerneas @ Rockium Z
Mild Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Close Combat/Thunder
- Rock Slide
- Moonblast

For each week I tried to think of some cool Z-move to use. Calm Mind and Electrium Z with Thunder would have revealed the set way too easily which is why I wanted Rock Slide with Rockium Z to surprise kill Ho-Oh. I planned this set to be used against HunterStorm in finals but Exiline pussied out. It would have worked out too but alas...

Other than these sets I can't remember right know what I planned but I am quite sure that most of the sets (DD ziggi, jolly dd + defog mence, z-move deos etc.) have been already mentioned somewhere. Z-moves and unexpected sets things I always want to see and I hope people will bring new stuff in future SM Ubers tournaments.

ORAS Ubers

Defiant Durians Stall

During Ubers Premier League nearly everyone noticed that The Burning Red White Kyurems were using stall one game after another in either ORAS or SM. I wouldn't blame them for using stall that much even though it made them quite easy to counter team later in the tournament by other teams. For example The Trap God managed to counter team SvetaGS3 perfectly and he collected his two wins effortlessly.

I started preparing for my tie-break matches I realised that Lacus Clyne was weak to opposing stall. I didn't want to use the sample stall or the stall team Lacus Clyne used several times against his/her opponents. This meant I had to bring a unique stall team no one has used in the past.

Sableye is there to do things it usually does: prevents hazards and checks Arceus-Normal and threats it needs to check. The team I used in the tie-break had specially defensive Sableye to check Dialga, Stealth Rock Arceus, Mewtwo and Deoxys-Attack. Probably physically defensive works too to check Arceus-Normal etc. better. Giratina is there to control hazards, check various threats and pressure opposing stall with its ability. Lugia had Psychic because Lacus Clyne used Mega-Gengar several times and it hits Salamence and Groudon harder than Psyshock. Ice Beam and Substitute work too since Lugia is the main check to Salamence. Arceus-Ground gets up Stealth Rock and checks physical attackers. Toxic over Ice Beam is possible to punish Ho-Oh and Latios which are both big but manageable threats. Ferrothorn and Blissey are the remaining defensive backbones to check special attackers like Xerneas and Primal-Kyogre. That combination beats any Xerneas but most importantly Rest + Sleep Talk/Ingrain which is the most popular and best set in ORAS Ubers.

I ended up using this team twice in the tie-break and I managed to win both of those games. The first game is a prime example of winning directly via match-up. I lost the second game of the series and I ended up bringing the same stall I used game one in game three. I made a couple of mistakes and with the help of freeze I ended up winning.

This team has threats (Ho-Oh, Darkrai, Latios etc.) that annoy it but if the team is played perfectly it should win every possible match-up (despite a true counter team I suppose). In some games it can win straight from match-up even if the team is played poorly. In official tournaments this team is at the moment 4-0 (well 4-1, because Gunner Rohan is gay and wanted to flex against Vileman so he lost but woulda won otherwise so w/e) and probably would have a higher win-loss ratio if I and others used it more. This team might be one of the best ORAS Ubers team ever made and one of the greatest stall masters and Ubers players in general Transcendent God Champion has said this in his interview (go read it!):

Although, to be fair, I had begun to reconsider my stance on ORAS Ubers after creating Gaia☯Force and achieving a 58-2 win-loss record with it, with my reconsideration of such being recently solidified upon witnessing the ORAS Ubers stall team Pohjis used in two of his tie-breakermatches in the previous Ubers Premier League. I believe there is a very, very high chance that the team Pohjis made may be the single best ORAS Ubers team ever, as I have battled many times with it against various people, without a single loss. Had I come up with such an incredibly awesome, consistent and hax-resilient team in early or mid-ORAS Ubers, I actually think I could have enjoyed this metagame a lot.

Credits for this team belong to Defiant Durians which was the team I played for this year in the Ubers Premier League. Gunner Rohan, Hack, SparksBlade, Soviet, Californium, Reje, myself and others on our team all deserve credit for making this team - not just me which is why the name of the team is Defiant Durians Stall. I am just here to provide a team that has a major impact in the ORAS Ubers metagame.

---

I guess that is all. I haven't been playing much Ubers lately but I hope to catch up with the current metagame really soon. There are still a lot of things to discover in SM Ubers and I hope to see a lot of new and unexpected things in the upcoming Ubers Open and Snake Draft. I hope to see you guys in those and in many other Ubers tournaments.

n_n

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)