Unova Classic

I've finished the day on 10-5, I got haxed to death on one of my losses with a freeze on my garchomp when it was going to earthquake the rest of their team :( .
Considering it's my first time playing triples and my team was just put together this morning with what ever I had lying around I'm quite happy with my performance, plus the last win was someone rage quitting because I taunted their gothitelle.

My team is Hitmontop, Garchomp, Rotom Mow, Whimsicott, Arcanine, Lapras (basically my Sinnoh classic team since 4 are the same)

Oh god I'm still undefeated, Lapras is too much. Trick Room + Fake tears + STAB Freeze-Dry > everything. I should of used Scrafty though, dat Super Fang + Brine combo. Didn't have time to breed so I used Hitmontop :<

Gothorita / Scizor / Rhyperior / Amoonguss / Lapras / Hitmontop. total trash.

Also, I'm running Perish Trap and every single one of my opponents have been switching out. Skarmory, Golduck (which was in the same slot as Gothorita btw), several others. No Ghosts, no Skill Swap. Does Shadow Tag not affect the entire field in Triples? Or am I missing something? And yes I am dead sure I'm using Shadow tag.
Shadow tag only affects adjacent pokemon so non-adjacent foes will be able to switch out. Although it's uncommon, pokemon holding a shed shell can also freely switch out. Also, u-turn, baton pass, volt switch and parting shot are unaffected by shadow tag so they can be used to escape but other than that adjacent foes should be trapped.

Shadow tag only affects adjacent pokemon so non-adjacent foes will be able to switch out. Although it's uncommon, pokemon holding a shed shell can also freely switch out. Also, u-turn, baton pass, volt switch and parting shot are unaffected by shadow tag so they can be used to escape but other than that adjacent foes should be trapped.
Oh, only adjacent then, ok.
I assume I fought a Shed Shell Golduck then... tourney is filled with lots of things I shouldn't be seeing lol. Dragon Tail Onix (yes, Onix), Shed Shell Golduck, Roar Zapdos, so much phazing. Doesn't matter once you get 2 cheap kills though, just ask Wolfe Glicke.

Oh, only adjacent then, ok.
I assume I fought a Shed Shell Golduck then... tourney is filled with lots of things I shouldn't be seeing lol. Dragon Tail Onix (yes, Onix), Shed Shell Golduck, Roar Zapdos, so much phazing. Doesn't matter once you get 2 cheap kills though, just ask Wolfe Glicke.
I have also come across a Roar Zapdos, the most confusing one I have come across is perish song azumarill it didn't have whirlpool or any move that keeps you in and no pokemon with shadow tag. I have also come across a team full of level 1's.

9-6 on the first day. 2 disconnects because of my shitty connection. I really hope my connection will be better tomorrow. :/

Team: QuaxoPolitoed, Ludicolo, Gastrodon, Scizor, Rotom-W, Crobat

Last edited:
9-6 on the first day. 2 disconnects because of my shitty connection. I really hope my connection will be better tomorrow. :/

Team: Quaxo, Ludicolo, Gastrodon, Scizor, Rotom-W, Crobat
This is why Lapras is the best, lol. Eats entire Rain teams singlehandedly. WP Lapras is no joke offensively. One Giga Drain or T-bolt and it's just a massacre.
Quaxo is Politoed for the people that don't speak German :P

I have also come across a Roar Zapdos, the most confusing one I have come across is perish song azumarill it didn't have whirlpool or any move that keeps you in and no pokemon with shadow tag. I have also come across a team full of level 1's.
Honestly I run Perish Song as a kind of a "fuck you" move, I'm not built around it at all despite Gothorita. Its mostly there for TR and Fake Tears lol. Not like Lapras needs anything beyond STABs and Protect anyway.
I also run random shit like Perish Song Mega Altaria in Rotations, to completely wreck the setup-infested meta. Amazing in Battle Maison, 11/10 would recommend.
Most broken move ever created, may as well exploit. Dark Void doesn't have jack shit on Perish Song.

This is why Lapras is the best, lol. Eats entire Rain teams singlehandedly. WP Lapras is no joke offensively. One Giga Drain or T-bolt and it's just a massacre.
Quaxo is Politoed for the people that don't speak German :P
I didn't even see that many weather teams and only one other rain so far. As far as I'm concerned: Ludicolo's gotta dance.
Smeargle also annoys the hell out of me. Most of the times they don't get to use Dark Void because of Taunt and Rotom even snatched some Smeargle Tailwind... but you always need to keep an eye open.

I'm really starting to loose it on the names. Need. Sleep.

My Team is Thundurus, Landorus-T, Ludicolo, Hitmontop, Scizor and Heatran. Lots of priority but I kinda wish after seeing the Unova Classic Guide I went Trick Room with Jellicent and change some mons around. 11-4 and those were my first "competitive" pomemon games ever. Still learning a lot and my Spreads are not the best for this meta. My ludicolo gets outspeed by every other one becasue they all go max speed EV and I went more of a Bulky variant.

My team is dusclops/hitmontop/gastrodon/jellicent/escavalier/gigalith

Only two losses so far but I forgot to ev one of my mons and an other has the wrong moveset T-T. Lots of smeargle and rain. Haven't run into terracott yet.

Last edited:
For the first time in non VGC rules I took a battle to timer...
Neither of us had any sort of win condition as it was my Ferrothorn against his Gliscor and Weezing, both of which I had seeded.
This went on for 20 minutes, his Gliscor using EQ, his Weezing using clear smog? (I don't think it had any way to touch me) until about the 8 minute mark he decided to set up a sub with his Gliscor... He could've won had he not done this but it went down from leech seed immediately after.
At that point I basically won but we took it to the timer. Not my favorite way to win and definitely a waste of 30 minutes but I'll take the W.

My team: Octillery, Cresselia, Thundurus-T, Scrafty, Amoonguss, and Chandelure.

I still have a perfect record of 21-0, but can't play in anymore matches thanks to time constraints for the junior division. Thank god this is my last year as a Junior.

For the first time in non VGC rules I took a battle to timer...
Neither of us had any sort of win condition as it was my Ferrothorn against his Gliscor and Weezing, both of which I had seeded.
This went on for 20 minutes, his Gliscor using EQ, his Weezing using clear smog? (I don't think it had any way to touch me) until about the 8 minute mark he decided to set up a sub with his Gliscor... He could've won had he not done this but it went down from leech seed immediately after.
At that point I basically won but we took it to the timer. Not my favorite way to win and definitely a waste of 30 minutes but I'll take the W.
I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen any Ferrothorn in this format, considering how popular rain is, and Ferrothorn is one of the best rain answers out there. Ferrothorn is the sole reason my Octillery knows Fire Blast.

EDIT: Manage to finish 30 of my games with a rating above 1800, still with a perfect record of 30-0.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually ran into Ferrothorn four or five battles ago. Not as part of a rain team though, so it didn't come off that dangerous.

Actually have been able to redeem myself so far tonight, peeling off seven straight wins and improving to 14-9, 1578. Not too bad...until now, as I'm in the middle of a battle against a Japanese 1671, a double EQ spam + possible double Discharge team. A nasty squad of Garchomp/Thundrus-I/Landorus-T/Cresselia/Togekiss/Zapdos...

EDIT: Lost, but did manage to take down four of his 'mons in the process. Back to 14-10, back to it...
EDIT 2: Holy shit, was I able to bounce back...two more wins, two more creampuffs. This included Ambipom with Retaliate and a Latias with Dive & Fly. This is starting to feel like Day 1 more than the actual Day 1.

My first time reaching 1600! Feeling my ego swelling...

EDIT 3: Finished up 17-13, somewhere above 1555, alright I guess.

Did suffer the humiliation of being beaten by a team featuring Lvl.2 Friend Guard Jigglypuff, though. Doesn't look like I'll get the chance to battle ProjectTitan313's death squad, either, which is highly disappointing.

None of the battles featuring serious teams were all that close, so I won't bother sharing any of those yet...but it did make me laugh that, after the earlier Stealth Rock discussion, I got an opponent with FORRETRESS. I mean, I like the thing, and I hope to throw the Maison's Forretress4 at all you plebians during the next Triples comp, but come on:
AJ3G-WWWW-WW4Z-JG6S

Last edited:
13-2 for the first day. Good result but I don't feel like I played against players who knew what to do, so I hope I will have time to do more battles to see how good/bad my team really is considering I did something more fun than competitive. I lost against a Whimsicott/Terrakium team, I managed to beat some of them on showdown but for this one I get completly outclassed. The second was against a Serperior team and I kinda messed up how to deal with.

So I have been playing in the unova attack and I am unsure what it means when it says one of the other pokemon took the attack, can someone explain?

Also, is it just me or has the level of play been uped since yesterday

Last edited:
Second day: 9-6 so overall... I'm 22-8 which roughly sits at about 1650.
The second day was rough for me. A lot of people I faced knew what they were doing. There was sand, rain, tailwind, trick room, and etc.

3 disconnects, many poor decisions, semi random rain team and you end up at 17:13 at ~1550 after day two. Seen some interesting stuff today. Favorite is defenitely Swift Swim Qwlfish.

Actually ran into Ferrothorn four or five battles ago. Not as part of a rain team though, so it didn't come off that dangerous.

Actually have been able to redeem myself so far tonight, peeling off seven straight wins and improving to 14-9, 1578. Not too bad...until now, as I'm in the middle of a battle against a Japanese 1671, a double EQ spam + possible double Discharge team. A nasty squad of Garchomp/Thundrus-I/Landorus-T/Cresselia/Togekiss/Zapdos...

EDIT: Lost, but did manage to take down four of his 'mons in the process. Back to 14-10, back to it...
EDIT 2: Holy shit, was I able to bounce back...two more wins, two more creampuffs. This included Ambipom with Retaliate and a Latias with Dive & Fly. This is starting to feel like Day 1 more than the actual Day 1.

My first time reaching 1600! Feeling my ego swelling...

EDIT 3: Finished up 17-13, somewhere above 1555, alright I guess.

Did suffer the humiliation of being beaten by a team featuring Lvl.2 Friend Guard Jigglypuff, though. Doesn't look like I'll get the chance to battle ProjectTitan313's death squad, either, which is highly disappointing.

None of the battles featuring serious teams were all that close, so I won't bother sharing any of those yet...but it did make me laugh that, after the earlier Stealth Rock discussion, I got an opponent with FORRETRESS. I mean, I like the thing, and I hope to throw the Maison's Forretress4 at all you plebians during the next Triples comp, but come on:
AJ3G-WWWW-WW4Z-JG6S
Ego. Right. Totally what you meant. ;)

After i get done with [Smogon irrelevent activity] I plan on dicking around online, you never know. If you see me, get ready to cringe at the sheer fucking stupidity of my team <3
If all else fails, there's always VMs and FC's.

I still like that SR + Dragon Tail Sturdy + Eviolite Onix though.

Finished the day on 19-11. My match making has been awful today, once I was in the 1500's I was put against 1500 and below and then when I finally reached 1600 I then get matched with people 1700+. So I was just stuck there winning one and then losing the next all day. I lost 2 matches because of heatrans criting my garchomp when they were on -2 and -3 special attack.

My highlight of the day was actually beating someone with a 1700ish rank which was a rain team, smeargle and terracott. Their team was Politoed, Ludicolo, Smeargle, Whimsicott, Terrakion and Scizor. A well timed quick guard from hitmontop and rotom mow taking out the opponents Smeargle secured my victory since they only had their whimsicott left with beat up as it's only move that could do damage.

Finished the day on 19-11. My match making has been awful today, once I was in the 1500's I was put against 1500 and below and then when I finally reached 1600 I then get matched with people 1700+. So I was just stuck there winning one and then losing the next all day. I lost 2 matches because of heatrans criting my garchomp when they were on -2 and -3 special attack.

My highlight of the day was actually beating someone with a 1700ish rank which was a rain team, smeargle and terracott. Their team was Politoed, Ludicolo, Smeargle, Whimsicott, Terrakion and Scizor. A well timed quick guard from hitmontop and rotom mow taking out the opponents Smeargle secured my victory since they only had their whimsicott left with beat up as it's only move that could do damage.
EXACTLY what's been happening with me. I started 7-0, then lost 4 in a row to +1650 people, then I'd go against people in the 1400s and go on another massive winning streak. Currently on a two game losing streak so putting my Classic run on hold for now.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Went 11-4 for Day 2. Every team I faced was good and the most of the matches were really close (except for that one 1490 guy) I faced some guy in the low 1700s using 5 water mons. I guess some teams are just really unprepared for rain. I also choked a game by being a good player and thinking that Fake Out had higher priority than Wide Guard.

Silly Mishi, always run 2+ Feint mons in Triples.
Still undefeated guys, Lapras just tanked a +2 Scizor Bullet Punch and +1 Latias Psychic, after chip damage, to set Perish Song.
I had 5 mons left, he only had 3. I win.

Kee Berry CM Latias was an impressive foe though, may of actually swept me had I not Perish Song'd.

So far i've battled all good teams.. just hit 1700s. had a close battle w/ demantoid, too.

ambipom has been doing work. knock off has been such a useful move against aerodactyl and jellicent. i decided to use timid specs gardevoir instead of modest and while i love outspeeding base 80s and heatran, i kinda miss the power. can't be having terrakion and hitmontop live my dazzling gleams hehe

gravity hypnosis teams are so much harder to beat without talonflame :c

Just started 9-2 right now, most teams were just a pile of good mons with no synergy. Lost to a perish trap rain team and a goodstuffs (Yay rockslide wiffs .-.). So far my mvp has been Latias as my tailwind setter and TerraCott counter.

So far i've battled all good teams.. just hit 1700s. had a close battle w/ demantoid, too.

ambipom has been doing work. knock off has been such a useful move against aerodactyl and jellicent. i decided to use timid specs gardevoir instead of modest and while i love outspeeding base 80s and heatran, i kinda miss the power. can't be having terrakion and hitmontop live my dazzling gleams hehe

gravity hypnosis teams are so much harder to beat without talonflame :c
Ambipom is godly and I 100% regret not running it.
Done with the tourney though, I'll spare people the humilation of irreversably losing points to Lapras while I'm 6-0. My goal was 1 win and work is heaping my 20 pathetic hours for the week into the window this tourney runs in. >_>
You have good Scizor coverage though right? Ambipom/Gardevoir don't do much to Scizor+Heatran teams.

My team did inspire something outright fucking funny to run in Doubles though. Will detail after adequate testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)