(Un)Official Smogon University PO Stats -- August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count on that.
Uh. The round only ends today. There's still shit like nominations and voting. It's gonna be at least 2 weeks before Thundurus probably(read: PROBABLY) gets his butt out of OU, and if he doesn't Gastrolldon can continue trolling here.

even with thundurus gone, he can still stay in ou as a rain check, rotom check, and a shit load of other pokemon check.

^I agree, it's going to lose some of its uses, but Gastrodon is still going to be a good Pokemon.
No.

He'll remain a niche pokemon.

Outside of stopping rain, he's outright useless.

There are better pokemon to use to abuse Ground/Water attacks... includeing those with a far higher appropriate attack stat, who don' even get STAB.

There are better bulky waters, such as Milotic.

There are better Ground/Water types, such as Quagsire [Unaware, Recover and Curse outdo Gastrodon' defensive sets], and Swampert [Swampert is better than Gastrodon, besides Recover. Neither of them changed much at all in the generational shift, it's just Drizzle is so centralising, and Swamperts tankish style dosen't fit in this metagame :/]

There are a myriad of better walls.

The only reaon Gastrodon has sprung from NU/RU useage to OU is because rain is so centralising, people are seriously devoteing a teamslot to something as bad as Gastrodon.

Saying Gastrodon is good is a joke. It's niche. And outside that niche, it's outright useless except for an Electric immunity.

No.

There are better pokemon to use to abuse Ground/Water attacks... includeing those with a far higher appropriate attack stat, who don' even get STAB.

There are better Ground/Water types, such as Quagsire [Unaware, Recover and Curse outdo Gastrodon' defensive sets], and Swampert [Swampert is better than Gastrodon, besides Recover. Neither of them changed much at all in the generational shift, it's just Drizzle is so centralising, and Swamperts tankish style dosen't fit in this metagame :/]

The only reaon Gastrodon has sprung from NU/RU useage to OU is because rain is so centralising, people are seriously devoteing a teamslot to something as bad as Gastrodon.

Saying Gastrodon is good is a joke. It's niche. And outside that niche, it's outright useless except for an Electric immunity.
I've been seeing a lot of "Gastrodon counters Rain", and "Rotom-W/Milotic/Vaporeon/ect are better bulky water types".

Couldn't we just run HP Grass on Swift Swim Kingdra and cover all of that stuff, or did we just forget that Kingdra existed?

You can't use it on your own rain team, of course, but Sniper still isn't really doing much as an ability anyways.

Water/Dragon only has a Dragon type weakness, so it can switch in on stuff.

Kingdra also gets Clear Smog, so it has a chance to get rid of stat boosters too.

So I just edited the OP to say this, but I thought I'd post it, too.

If you want stats for a metagame that's not already up (like, say, DPP UU), shoot me a PM, and I'll post it. Just telling you now, though, the results for doubles/triples might be a little funky, since my script discards battles less than six turns long.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No.

Stopping rain by itself / having 2 immunities is a big deal. Milotic is not superior to Gastrodon in OU, it can't check any of the Pokemon that Gastrodon checks (Rain sweepers, Starmie, Thundurus, Rotom-W etc) and has no place on an OU team at all.

Swampert is not better than Gastrodon. Aside from SR, there is absolutely zero reason to use Swampert over Gastrodon. Gastrodon counters the #2 Pokemon in the entire metagame (Rotom-W)Swampert can't check anything with its slightly above average defenses and lack of recovery. Its also a core member of stall / balance teams, so it being in OU isn't a shock, it rightfully deserves it.

Underestimating Gastrodon is a joke when its uses in the metagame are so clear.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No.

Wait, how on earth is Milotic a better OU wal than Gastrodon? Milotic wishes it could take an electric hit and doesn't get storm drain. Gastrodon also has 2 useable STABS and after a Storm Drain boost, can attain useable special attack as well. Milotic is outright outclassed by Vaporeon and Suicune.

I agree that Quagsire>Gastrodon. But Swampert? What the **** are you smoking? If Gastrodon's a niche pokemon, than Swampert is an even more limited niche pokemon. Swampert can only dream of getting a water immunity, and is absolutely pummeled by opposing bulky waters like Vaporeon, which Gastrodon wins against. Storm Drain also allows Gastrodon to take on the likes of Rotom-W and Starmie, who would otherwise maul Swampert. Finally, Swampert isn't even that great a SR user anymore. With the power creep, Swampert can either dish out a hit, orget up SR, not both. Pretty much everything in OU carries something that can hit Swampert hard. The thing Swampert does better than Gastrodon is bulky CBer.

Wait, how on earth is Milotic a better OU wal than Gastrodon? Milotic wishes it could take an electric hit and doesn't get storm drain. Gastrodon also has 2 useable STABS and after a Storm Drain boost, can attain useable special attack as well. Milotic is outright outclassed by Vaporeon and Suicune.

I agree that Quagsire>Gastrodon. But Swampert? What the **** are you smoking? If Gastrodon's a niche pokemon, than Swampert is an even more limited niche pokemon. Swampert can only dream of getting a water immunity, and is absolutely pummeled by opposing bulky waters like Vaporeon, which Gastrodon wins against. Storm Drain also allows Gastrodon to take on the likes of Rotom-W and Starmie, who would otherwise maul Swampert. Finally, Swampert isn't even that great a SR user anymore. With the power creep, Swampert can either dish out a hit, orget up SR, not both. Pretty much everything in OU carries something that can hit Swampert hard. The thing Swampert does better than Gastrodon is bulky CBer.
About the part I bolded...

Just curious, but how is any competent battler losing to Gastrodon while using Vaporeon, with, or without rain?

Vappy in the rain:
- Hydration, Toxic, Rest

Vappy not in rain:
-Water Absorb, Toxic, Wish, Protect

I thought those were standard? How again is Vaporen losing?

About the part I bolded...

Just curious, but how is any competent battler losing to Gastrodon while using Vaporeon, with, or without rain?

Vappy in the rain:
- Hydration, Toxic, Rest

Vappy not in rain:
-Water Absorb, Toxic, Wish, Protect

I thought those were standard? How again is Vaporen losing?
Vappy will tie gastrodon with the second set assuming both use toxic on the same turn and there is no residual damage. First set beats it however.

The past stats are interesting. I wan't too good at DPPHGSS OU, but I got pretty good at the other 2 (especially ADV).

That being said. The OUs would be as follows:

Code:
 + ---- + --------------- + ------ + ------- + 
 | Rank | Pokemon         | Usage  | Percent | 
 | 1    | Heatran         | 1374   | 42.455% |
 | 2    | Starmie         | 954    | 29.478% |
 | 3    | Flygon          | 788    | 24.349% |
 | 4    | Scizor          | 769    | 23.761% |
 | 5    | Tyranitar       | 723    | 22.340% |
 | 6    | Gyarados        | 688    | 21.259% |
 | 7    | Jirachi         | 673    | 20.795% |
 | 8    | Dragonite       | 622    | 19.219% |
 | 9    | Azelf           | 612    | 18.910% |
 | 10   | Infernape       | 610    | 18.848% |
 | 11   | Gengar          | 568    | 17.551% |
 | 12   | Rotom-W         | 485    | 14.986% |
 | 13   | Suicune         | 481    | 14.862% |
 | 14   | Rotom-H         | 468    | 14.461% |
 | 15   | Swampert        | 435    | 13.441% |
 | 16   | Metagross       | 433    | 13.379% |
 | 17   | Breloom         | 389    | 12.020% |
 | 18   | Lucario         | 389    | 12.020% |
 | 19   | Shaymin         | 376    | 11.618% |
 | 20   | Skarmory        | 373    | 11.525% |
 | 21   | Gliscor         | 355    | 10.969% |
 | 22   | Machamp         | 351    | 10.846% |
 | 23   | Zapdos          | 347    | 10.722% |
 | 24   | Roserade        | 340    | 10.506% |
 | 25   | Blissey         | 337    | 10.413% |
 | 26   | Celebi          | 319    |  9.857% |
 | 27   | Forretress      | 305    |  9.424% |
 | 28   | Kingdra         | 300    |  9.270% |
 | 29   | Jolteon         | 288    |  8.899% |
 | 30   | Bronzong        | 234    |  7.230% |
 | 31   | Aerodactyl      | 222    |  6.860% |
 | 32   | Vaporeon        | 211    |  6.520% |
 | 33   | Snorlax         | 201    |  6.211% |
 | 34   | Empoleon        | 155    |  4.789% |
 | 35   | Hippowdon       | 155    |  4.789% |
 | 36   | Tentacruel      | 149    |  4.604% |
 | 37   | Magnezone       | 147    |  4.542% |
 | 38   | Togekiss        | 136    |  4.202% |
 | 39   | Abomasnow       | 127    |  3.924% |
 | 40   | Weavile         | 111    |  3.430% |

-Mamo didn't make the cut...
-Flygon is #3... didn't see that one coming.

Code:
 | 1    | Salamence       | 720    | 43.252% |
 | 2    | Celebi          | 656    | 39.407% |
 | 3    | Snorlax         | 603    | 36.223% |
 | 4    | Gengar          | 575    | 34.541% |
 | 5    | Tyranitar       | 508    | 30.517% |
 | 6    | Dugtrio         | 494    | 29.676% |
 | 7    | Suicune         | 484    | 29.075% |
 | 8    | Skarmory        | 469    | 28.174% |
 | 9    | Swampert        | 396    | 23.789% |
 | 10   | Magneton        | 387    | 23.248% |
 | 11   | Zapdos          | 383    | 23.008% |
 | 12   | Metagross       | 359    | 21.566% |
 | 13   | Jirachi         | 299    | 17.962% |
 | 14   | Aerodactyl      | 270    | 16.219% |
 | 15   | Blissey         | 261    | 15.679% |
 | 16   | Forretress      | 240    | 14.417% |
 | 17   | Milotic         | 194    | 11.654% |
 | 18   | Starmie         | 167    | 10.032% |
 | 19   | Heracross       | 166    |  9.972% |
 | 20   | Raikou          | 151    |  9.071% |
 | 21   | Flygon          | 135    |  8.110% |
 | 22   | Blaziken        | 133    |  7.990% |
 | 23   | Cloyster        | 130    |  7.809% |
 | 24   | Claydol         | 129    |  7.749% |
 | 25   | Jolteon         | 116    |  6.968% |
 | 26   | Sceptile        | 97     |  5.827% |
 | 27   | Houndoom        | 84     |  5.046% |
 | 28   | Medicham        | 82     |  4.926% |
 | 29   | Gyarados        | 81     |  4.866% |
 | 30   | Alakazam        | 75     |  4.505% |
 | 31   | Breloom         | 70     |  4.205% |
 | 32   | Vaporeon        | 59     |  3.544% |
 | 33   | Dusclops        | 58     |  3.484% |

-Alakazam is OU but not D-Nite... not expected.
-Mence is #1(:
-Lax is #3(:
-Gyarados is below Medicham and Houndoom.. it deserves more than that. I honestly had better luck with Gyarados than with Mence.

Code:
 | 1    | Snorlax         | 23     | 59.740% |
 | 2    | Tyranitar       | 16     | 41.558% |
 | 3    | Marowak         | 14     | 36.364% |
 | 4    | Gengar          | 13     | 33.766% |
 | 5    | Jolteon         | 10     | 25.974% |
 | 6    | Suicune         | 9      | 23.377% |
 | 7    | Zapdos          | 8      | 20.779% |
 | 8    | Forretress      | 8      | 20.779% |
 | 9    | Exeggutor       | 7      | 18.182% |
 | 10   | Umbreon         | 7      | 18.182% |
 | 11   | Skarmory        | 7      | 18.182% |
 | 12   | Miltank         | 7      | 18.182% |
 | 13   | Alakazam        | 6      | 15.584% |
 | 14   | Steelix         | 6      | 15.584% |
 | 15   | Houndoom        | 6      | 15.584% |
 | 16   | Cloyster        | 5      | 12.987% |
 | 17   | Vaporeon        | 5      | 12.987% |
 | 18   | Heracross       | 5      | 12.987% |
 | 19   | Raikou          | 5      | 12.987% |
 | 20   | Machamp         | 4      | 10.390% |
 | 21   | Tentacruel      | 4      | 10.390% |
 | 22   | Starmie         | 4      | 10.390% |
 | 23   | Blissey         | 4      | 10.390% |
 | 24   | Charizard       | 3      |  7.792% |
 | 25   | Dragonite       | 3      |  7.792% |
 | 26   | Jumpluff        | 3      |  7.792% |
 | 27   | Ursaring        | 3      |  7.792% |
 | 28   | Nidoking        | 2      |  5.195% |
 | 29   | Espeon          | 2      |  5.195% |
 | 30   | Misdreavus      | 2      |  5.195% |
 | 31   | Scizor          | 2      |  5.195% |
 | 32   | Kingdra         | 2      |  5.195% |
 | 33   | Porygon2        | 2      |  5.195% |

-Lax is number one!
-Suicune is high, as is Gengar.
-Marowak is #3.. is it really that good?

EDIT: Thanks Antar

No.

i am sorry but i agree with this... alot of other people are bashing what he is saying, but honestly it is true (outside of the ability to be on stall teams) Honestly the guy is a hard rain counter... thats it... i am not into predictions, but if drizzle were ever banned, this guy would not get almost any usage. I am not saying he is bad.... but you have to admit he is niche.

All 3 ground/water types need the proper support... when used correctly they are very nice. Perosnally i happen to be using pert this gen and he is definitely doing his job (SR and roaring and tanking). granted i have good switch ins for him when alot of the top tier pokes enter, but hes not bad any means.

Summing it all up, gastro is good with the right support and the right situation... but dont get ahead of urself.... he isnt a top tier wall... at all...

i am sorry but i agree with this... alot of other people are bashing what he is saying, but honestly it is true (outside of the ability to be on stall teams) Honestly the guy is a hard rain counter... thats it... i am not into predictions, but if drizzle were ever banned, this guy would not get almost any usage. I am not saying he is bad.... but you have to admit he is niche.

All 3 ground/water types need the proper support... when used correctly they are very nice. Perosnally i happen to be using pert this gen and he is definitely doing his job (SR and roaring and tanking). granted i have good switch ins for him when alot of the top tier pokes enter, but hes not bad any means.

Summing it all up, gastro is good with the right support and the right situation... but dont get ahead of urself.... he isnt a top tier wall... at all...
That's why he's so important. He's a rain counter. With drizzle being almost impossible to check without a sand/sun team, it provides a major pivot for weatherless teams to take out drizzle.

Well, if by some chance Thundurus and Drizzle where banned this round (I don't think so but its possible) Gastrodon would still have a decent niche of countering Starmie and Rotom-W. Personally when I used Gastrodon I used it more for Rotom-W which is a massive pain, more then I had it on a team for drizzle. Not to mention is also a decent special wall with a reliable recovery move.

Would it drop? Yes, but all the way to RU again? I don't think so Gastrodon is still a solid pokemon I would imagine it would probably be in lower OU, right next to Swampert and Quagsire. At the very least it will be in the ranks of ok OU pokemon like Nidoking and Chansey.

(Not to mention OU would lose 2 spaces which gives it even a higher chance to stay)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Latias and Salamence also got banned, making Heatran feel like an even bigger boss.

I haven't played 4th gen in what over a year now? But I difenently don't remember Heatran being that common, and if I remember correctly Heatran was riding around 10% at the time. I stopped playing after Salamence was banned (that and 5th gen was only a few months away). From what I heard the metagame got more F/W/G core based, so I guess Heatran would rise, I would never imagine that much.

I know this is probably old news to some, but for me it is shocking.

I haven't played 4th gen in what over a year now? But I difenently don't remember Heatran being that common, and if I remember correctly Heatran was riding around 10% at the time. I stopped playing after Salamence was banned (that and 5th gen was only a few months away). From what I heard the metagame got more F/W/G core based, so I guess Heatran would rise, I would never imagine that much.

I know this is probably old news to some, but for me it is shocking.
i started playing competitively after mence was banned... heatran was literally on every other team. Azelf and zong were up there too

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran is indeed everywhere. The vast majority of which are Shuca Trans, with a few Scarf Trans around and the rare (my) Special Defensive Tran. I imagine the top stall players also run Sp Def Tran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)