Victini @ Electrium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thunder Wave
- Celebrate
- Zen Headbutt/Filler

Z-T-Wave gives +SpD, so if I run defense and paralyze someone, I can have both defensive stats buffed up a lot, while also getting +1 to everything.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639794879

Z-Detect is supposed to be banned by the evasion moves clause. While yes, z moves are abundant and don't check accuracy, this is still an issue because then you might be stuck with a crappy type matchup when selecting a move to take out the evasion boosted mon. eg you can choose to risk missing and go for the OHKO with your base fire move against a Z-Detect boosted Kartana, or you can avoid missing by using your grassium-z move on it since that's the crystal your fire type is packing. Moves that grant evasion with a z crystal need to be barred on mons holding a z crystal. Seems the team builder only checks for the combo of the matching type z crystal like in OU, which isn't actually required for status moves in this meta. This needs to be fixed for the reasons stated above.

Victini @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Celebrate
- Bolt Strike
- Stored Power
- Shadow Ball

bolt strike for blissey
Can't run Bolt Strike and Celebrate, both seperate events.

All these +1/+2 to all stats Z Moves really need to be banned immediately. You can actually straight up win every game with only 2 Pokemon, 1 with screens and the other being the setup mon.
As sad as it'd be, I agree. I saw a Snorlax with Happy Hour spam, and Stockpile when it gets low. Absolute cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a really viable and underrated set:
Smeargle @ Focus sash
Ability:Own tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid/Jolly Nature
-Sticky Web
-Topsy-Turvy/Spectral Thief/Heart Swap
- Spore/Magic Coat
-Stealth Rock/Magic coat

Webs are really good in this meta and are being slept on imo. Once you get webs up in this hyperofrensice meta you can easily win a 5v6 mu. Topsy-Turvy laughs at pokemon trying to take advantage of it while spore is nice. Rocks are also nice.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Been playing this meta quite a bit and I mist say its quite hectic as others have suggested. Offense is really the name of the game here due to how potent spamming Z-Moves repeatedly can be in breaking down even the bulkiest of defensive threats. I have two major concerns thus far after quite a few matches I was able to play:

Victini @ Firium Z
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Celebrate
- V-create
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

This little guy is just too good of a sweeper right now. Thanks to its already great natural bulk on top of the added boosts from Z-Celebrate, it can actually be quite difficult to properly revenge kill Victini without it being significantly worn down first. Nothing appreciates taking Z-V-Creates from there on out after it is able to garner even just one setup boost, and it can spam the move freely due to it alleviating the defensive and speed drops that it would otherwise receive. Stored Power allows it to blow through even more checks such as Quagsire and bulky waters such as Manaphy and Suicune since the move can accumulate to high BP thanks to Z-Celebrate.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Roost
- Hail

Kyurem-B is just straight up broken in this meta. Having constant access to a 200-BP STAB move is just ridiculous coming off its high Attack stat. iIs good bulk can also allow it clean up late game thanks to the Speed boosts from Z-Hail. UZ just removes all of the drawbacks that Kyurem-B faces in the standard OU metagame and makes it significantly more threatening as a result.

I would suggest a ban on Kyurem-B and Victini (or maybe a total ban on all +1 in every stat Z-Moves) as a start to hopefully make this meta more healthy.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Roost
- Hail

Kyurem-B is just straight up broken in this meta. Having constant access to a 200-BP STAB move is just ridiculous coming off its high Attack stat. iIs good bulk can also allow it clean up late game thanks to the Speed boosts from Z-Hail. UZ just removes all of the drawbacks that Kyurem-B faces in the standard OU metagame and makes it significantly more threatening as a result.

I would suggest a ban on Kyurem-B and Victini (or maybe a total ban on all +1 in every stat Z-Moves) as a start to hopefully make this meta more healthy.
I 100% agree with a Kyurem-Black ban.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639921847
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639923982

Hail/Freeze Shock sets blow past most of the top tier mons in the meta. The priority that exists (run it more guys it's good in a HO meta) isn't strong enough to KO Kyu-B outright, Mimikyu and Sturdy mons are beaten by Teravolt, all common semi-defensive mons except Jirachi and Magearna are at the least 2hko'd by either Freeze Shock or Fusion Bolt.

My recommended set is pretty much the same as the one Funbot28 posted

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hail / Safeguard
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute / Roost / Hone Claws

Differences are: Earth Power is pretty much a waste I wouldn't run it, Safeguard is a nice option over Hail to prevent Status and still get the +1 speed, Sub goes with Hail and Roost with Safeguard. Roost allows you to heal maybe, while Sub allows Kyu-B to lead against Hazard setters, Sub, Boost Speed, and just... win, as shown in the first replay immediately below. Hone Claws is just in case you don't think you're hitting hard enough.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639923982
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639921847

This meta grants Kyurem-B both an overpowering physical Ice STAB and extra speed, two of the main things holding it back in ou, and combined with its good bulk it is easily the best pokemon in the meta.

To my mind the five best mons right now are, in no particular order:
Kyub
Koko
Mimikyu
Greninja
Porygon-Z
(I'm perfectly happy for people to question this list btw I've only been playing the meta for about a day)

The noteworthy thing about Kyub is that it, alone out of all of these mons, can beat all of the others with just +1 speed, which is not hard to get against something like a hazard setter.

I recognize that the meta is very young and it may be too early to qb things, but please at least put Kyu-B on the radar. It is far too strong.

tl;dr
Ban Kyurem-Black
With one set it can sweep fairly solid teams without any form of support
Physical BoltBeam makes bulky resists hard to find
Raw power means even resists are hard-put to wall it
+1 Speed in a meta with few scarves (this may change, and probably should change) means that offense has a very hard time revenging
Teravolt beats common ability based revenge killers, most importantly Mimikyu

Fair warning none of these are particularly creative but they are good sets for the current meta. Some may have been mentioned before I'm not hunting them down so suckit.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Safeguard
- Splash
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Idk why everyone is running Wood Hammer. This seems like the optimal set to me. Priority is very helpful, and my Mimikyu finds itself using Never-Ending-Nightmare into Shadow Sneak to revenge things more than it sets up. Z-Safeguard boosts speed, which is nice cuz everything is Hyper-Offense.

Whimsicott @ Fairium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Growth
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Idk who used this first, I ran into it on the ladder (they were running Bloom Doom actually). Z-Growth boosts SpA to +2 and Nature Power lets you use a priority Z move. Other moves are basically nice filler. Tailwind crits have helped me versus people who try to boost in my face. DON'T FORGET DARK TYPES ARE IMMUNE TO NATURE POWER.

Greninja @ Electrium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Cannon
- U-turn
- Happy Hour

BoltBeam Protean Greninja. Pairs well with Koko. Greninja can run basically any stone it wants to get coverage, so be creative. Firium, Groundium, and even Icium could be good options.

Latios @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Block
- Hyper Beam
- Tailwind
- Psyshock

Tailwind is amazing in this meta. I dropped Latios because it's not quite fast enough and has a poor matchup against several of the most common mons in the meta (Greninja, Koko, and especially Mimikyu). But Z Tailwind is amazing. Think of it as sort of like Shift Gear, except you can use it to support you teammates. Heal Block would be the ultimate Stallbreaking move, but Stall is nonexistent so nobody cares.

Stall is not dead:

Toxapex @ Waterium Z
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Baneful Bunker
- Stockpile
- Toxic

Z-stockpile gives defenses up to 3 stages each, and fully restores HP, even if you have maxed out stockpile.
Toxic stalling gets a buff since Z-Toxic gives +1 def.
Z-baneful bunker is there to also give a defense boost and to reduce z damage to help stall.

Sludge wave and waterium z provide dual STAB.
I chose waterium z/sludge wave instead of poisonium z/scald because while the burn chance is nice, the only real reason why you're attacking instead of spamming full heal stockpile is because the enemy is poison/steel type. You probably want more damage instead of a burn chance.

Merciless instead of regenerator, because of things like Porygon-z. Crits ignore the enemy's stat changes, so defense boosting doesn't matter (unless you're up against Jirachi, then no toxic for you.)

This thing can tank super effective physical z-moves at +6 no problem, and while +3 for Special Defense isn't all that great when it comes to this meta, toxapex can usually handle it.

[Gen 7] Ultimate Z replay: 2 savage vs. PokeSix - Pokémon Showdown
Battle where toxapex struggles with tapu lele and they go for a disrespect and fail horribly

EDIT: Agree with The Ruins of Alpha for Kyurem-B ban, after all, the main reason why it's not in Ubers is because of its lack of good moves.\

EDIT 5: I can't stop editing my post, help

EDIT 8: Most of these edits are unnoted, just wanted to clarify

EDIT 11: 40 mins later and I'm still editing

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Dear The Immortal,

Today, I played Tier Shift in Pokemon Showdown. First of all I have to say thank you for making Ultimate Z come alive because I had a good time.
It was a fun metagame where I could try many different things that I could normally not execute in regular metagames, including Groudium Z Volcarona that blows up Heatran, Electrium Z Zygarde that can delete Skarmory and Celesteela without knocking them down with 1k arrows, and Fightinium Z Cloyster that took care of ubiquitous Mimikyu while blowing up all Steel-types after the boost. While this meta is fun, I couldn't just sit there and do nothing while I could see couple systemic errors in the metagame:

1) Anything else than Hyperoffensive teams is nearly impossible to execute

You probably should have noticed this at this point. I thought it might be just me who thinks HO dominates this meta but I spectated nearly 100 games of Ultimate Z before I started writing this up. From Turn 1, things start to go crazy; Kyurem-B sets Z-Hail and starts spamming BP 200 Subzero Slammer which 2HKOs the entire metagame barring stuff like Heatran (which isn't even viable), Pellipper brings in Kingdra and anything that doesn't resist water is OHKOed and water-resistant 'mons get 2HKO'ed by Hydro Vortex spam, and Tapu Koko gains +2 Attack per turn and proceeds to sweep the team if they lack anything faster than it. This is probably the similar phenomenon I experienced when Crystal-Free-Z-Moves were unbanned in Balanced Hackmons the first day it came out on PS. You have to go straight into spamming Z-moves, or you will find yourself facing a Pokemon at +6 that spams a Z-move which has at least 150 BP. This is clearly something unbearable to balance and most stall teams.

2) Using Z-move over and over causes problems

When we play OU, we commonly lead with a Stealth Rock user. Check this replay:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639956612

Turn 1.
Just another day I wanna start out with setting Stealth Rock with Azelf. This Porygon-Z uses Z-Conversion to boost all of its stats, then it proceeds to use Z-Conversion 2 to restore all the health. Yes, I should have pressed Corkscrew Crash once more, but I didn't know much about Z-effect of Conversion 2 due to it being unviable move to use with Z-crystal outsides Ultimate Z. Guess what? This lead hard walls my entire team and proceeds to negate all the chip using Z-move with healing effects and proceeds to get to +6. tldr; setting a Stealth Rock in Turn 1 in this metagame is a setup fodder that cannot be stopped.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639957514

Again, I wanted to set Stealth Rock, but I stopped to think about using Taunt to stop potential Shift Gear (which ended up happening), and this lead to instant loss from Turn 1.

I get it. I am not the best player. It has been a day since I played this thing. But if there are more than just one Pokemon that can lead turn 1, ignore Taunt / Encore, and setup against standard leads to go straight 6-0'ing the other team is not a competitive game anymore; it would better be titled some RPG game where you go straight into fighting the opponent without planning anything; current meta works this way: set up using 'mon 1, if that 'mon dies, set up using 'mon 2, and so on.

Using Defog / Rapid Spin is asking for setup.
Using Unaware users like Quagsire and Clefable won't work; high BP-moves are everywhere and majority of them will 2HKO both.
Using Ditto won't work because Ditto's 48 HP will lead to losing against most setup sweepers whose Z-moves' effects often have defensive boosts.

This might be exclusive issue for specific Z-moves like Mirror Move, Conversion, Stockpile, or other things, but being able to set up while having additional effects like healing, gaining +2 attack for every blow you execute is definitely an issue at least in my perspective.

3) More than half of setup sweepers go out of control after couple boosts / setups

Like I mentioned, there are some obvious examples that has to go, and it is because it is essentially impossible to stop them once you give them a turn. Look at this Porygon-Z in 6 turns:

upload_2017-10-2_17-33-4.png

This isn't just for Porygon-Z. Tapu Koko can theoretically go +6 after 3 Mirror Move which will dent anything.

After that game I thought "oh god this Porygon-Z is cash money" and I abused Z-Magnet Rise + Z-Conversion + Z-Conversion2 to get to +6 in all stats, including Evasions.

--​

I couldn't even write much due to today being the first day I play this, but I can clearly some issues. These negative phenomenons (HO being dominant, Z-move spams to repeatedly set up) are probably what happens if we go for "fun metagame" instead of going for competitive metagame.

Sorry if my post sounded too demanding, but I wrote all this out of genuine passion towards Ultimate Z. For now what I would suggest are:

• Each Pokemon can use Z-move only once
  • Ban specific moves like Conversion. Also ask GeniusMike said ban stuff like Z-Detect, Z-Magnet Rise, and others bc Evasion clause and stuf
Even if the first bullet point defeats the purpose of this metagame I would rather choose not to play in a meta where 150+ BP moves will be a common place and thus will invalidate balance and stall teams. Thanks

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Dear The Immortal,

Today, I played Tier Shift in Pokemon Showdown. First of all I have to say thank you for making Ultimate Z come alive because I had a good time.
It was a fun metagame where I could try many different things that I could normally not execute in regular metagames, including Groudium Z Volcarona that blows up Heatran, Electrium Z Zygarde that can delete Skarmory and Celesteela without knocking them down with 1k arrows, and Fightinium Z Cloyster that took care of ubiquitous Mimikyu while blowing up all Steel-types after the boost. While this meta is fun, I couldn't just sit there and do nothing while I could see couple systemic errors in the metagame:

1) Anything else than Hyperoffensive teams is nearly impossible to execute

You probably should have noticed this at this point. I thought it might be just me who thinks HO dominates this meta but I spectated nearly 100 games of Ultimate Z before I started writing this up. From Turn 1, things start to go crazy; Kyurem-B sets Z-Hail and starts spamming BP 200 Subzero Slammer which 2HKOs the entire metagame barring stuff like Heatran (which isn't even viable), Pellipper brings in Kingdra and anything that doesn't resist water is OHKOed and water-resistant 'mons get 2HKO'ed by Hydro Vortex spam, and Tapu Koko gains +2 Attack per turn and proceeds to sweep the team if they lack anything faster than it. This is probably the similar phenomenon I experienced when Crystal-Free-Z-Moves were unbanned in Balanced Hackmons the first day it came out on PS. You have to go straight into spamming Z-moves, or you will find yourself facing a Pokemon at +6 that spams a Z-move which has at least 150 BP. This is clearly something unbearable to balance and most stall teams.

2) Using Z-move over and over causes problems

When we play OU, we commonly lead with a Stealth Rock user. Check this replay:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639956612

Turn 1.
Just another day I wanna start out with setting Stealth Rock with Azelf. This Porygon-Z uses Z-Conversion to boost all of its stats, then it proceeds to use Z-Conversion 2 to restore all the health. Yes, I should have pressed Corkscrew Crash once more, but I didn't know much about Z-effect of Conversion 2 due to it being unviable move to use with Z-crystal outsides Ultimate Z. Guess what? This lead hard walls my entire team and proceeds to negate all the chip using Z-move with healing effects and proceeds to get to +6. tldr; setting a Stealth Rock in Turn 1 in this metagame is a setup fodder that cannot be stopped.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639957514

Again, I wanted to set Stealth Rock, but I stopped to think about using Taunt to stop potential Shift Gear (which ended up happening), and this lead to instant loss from Turn 1.

I get it. I am not the best player. It has been a day since I played this thing. But if there are more than just one Pokemon that can lead turn 1, ignore Taunt / Encore, and setup against standard leads to go straight 6-0'ing the other team is not a competitive game anymore; it would better be titled some RPG game where you go straight into fighting the opponent without planning anything; current meta works this way: set up using 'mon 1, if that 'mon dies, set up using 'mon 2, and so on.

Using Defog / Rapid Spin is asking for setup.
Using Unaware users like Quagsire and Clefable won't work; high BP-moves are everywhere and majority of them will 2HKO both.
Using Ditto won't work because Ditto's 48 HP will lead to losing against most setup sweepers whose Z-moves' effects often have defensive boosts.

This might be exclusive issue for specific Z-moves like Mirror Move, Conversion, Stockpile, or other things, but being able to set up while having additional effects like healing, gaining +2 attack for every blow you execute is definitely an issue at least in my perspective.

3) More than half of setup sweepers go out of control after couple boosts / setups

Like I mentioned, there are some obvious examples that has to go, and it is because it is essentially impossible to stop them once you give them a turn. Look at this Porygon-Z in 6 turns:

View attachment 89080

This isn't just for Porygon-Z. Tapu Koko can theoretically go +6 after 3 Mirror Move which will dent anything.

After that game I thought "oh god this Porygon-Z is cash money" and I abused Z-Magnet Rise + Z-Conversion + Z-Conversion2 to get to +6 in all stats, including Evasions.

--​

I couldn't even write much due to today being the first day I play this, but I can clearly some issues. These negative phenomenons (HO being dominant, Z-move spams to repeatedly set up) are probably what happens if we go for "fun metagame" instead of going for competitive metagame.

Sorry if my post sounded too demanding, but I wrote all this out of genuine passion towards Ultimate Z. For now what I would suggest are:

• Each Pokemon can use Z-move only once
  • Ban specific moves like Conversion. Also ask GeniusMike said ban stuff like Z-Detect, Z-Magnet Rise, and others bc Evasion clause and stuf
Even if the first bullet point defeats the purpose of this metagame I would rather choose not to play in a meta where 150+ BP moves will be a common place and thus will invalidate balance and stall teams. Thanks
I could respond to every individual point but... Idk I feel like that wouldn't be the best way to go about this. If you don't like the meta then you don't have to play it. Yes it is very hyper-offensively based but that is sort of inherent in the meta. Several of the things you asked for would change the nature of the meta almost completely, while we have had less than two days since it became a ladder. I suspect that before we reach some sort of equilibrium Kyu-B, Koko, Greninja, and +1 to all stat Z-moves will have been banned at a minimum, but this is just speculation and I wouldn't back banning most of them immediately (my views on Kyu-B are already out there).

A lot of your complaints about set-up sweepers come across as not knowing how to deal with / play against them. Of course a +6/+6/... Porygon-Z will be sweeping you. But you shouldn't have let it get to that point in the first place. A lot of the way set-up is dealt with on Hyper-Offense is offensive pressure. If setting hazards loses you that pressure and gets you swept (I've seen it happen too) then the best way forward is not to set hazards.

I won't deny there are broken elements to this meta and I think it might take awhile to find a balance, but calling for a change like only allowing one z move once after one day is way too extreme in my opinion.

Some smaller points:
  • Get rid of Taunt, Z-Status goes through it and its basically the most nerfed move in the meta. Other moves like Encore are the same I believe.
  • Hazard setters need offensive pressure. I stopped using webs because every user I tried was too slow and weak, even Galvantula (needs sash) and often were set-up bait for Kyu-B, PZ, or a similar sweeper.
  • Z-Attacks do not check accuracy, so Z-Evasion isn't really that big a deal. It might still be banworthy just for being evasion and therefore uncompetitive in everything but like, No Guard Galaxy, but it's honestly not good.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Serious Threats:
Tapu Koko and Kyurem-Black
Yes, they are the elephants in the room. But it shows how undeniably ridiculous they are.

upload_2017-10-2_19-18-46.png

Tapu Koko is usually held back by its high Attack but no good physical attacking moves other than Wild Charge. Well, not anymore.

It has many sets it can run, both physical and special (physical is a lot better though), that can OHKO almost anything that isn't named Chansey, Blissey, or Kyurem-Black:
Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z / Icium Z / Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Taunt / Mirror Move
- Brave Bird / Giga Impact
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Tapu Koko @ Icium Z / Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Taunt / Hidden Power Ice

The very reason Tapu Koko is so meta-defining is its Speed. Almost nothing can top 394 raw speed unboosted, and especially with the relevance of Choice Scarves down, there isn't much to keep it in check:
*note: all of these calculations are a BP of 190
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z in Electric Terrain: 568-670 (182.6 - 215.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 361-426 (128.4 - 151.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree in Electric Terrain: 282-333 (91.5 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (resist)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Electric Terrain: 375-442 (95.4 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Electric Terrain: 256-302 (85 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (resist)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini in Electric Terrain: 424-501 (124.3 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja in Electric Terrain: 1184-1394 (415.4 - 489.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (to be expected)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola in Electric Terrain: 211-249 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax in Electric Terrain: 607-715 (115.8 - 136.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite in Electric Terrain: 222-261 (68.7 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior in Electric Terrain: 223-263 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (resist)

Hell, it can even OHKO itself:
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 244-288 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Counters:
- Mimikyu, as long as it has its Disguise
- Kyurem-Black, as long as it's healthy
- Lopunny-Mega
- Scarf Terrakion

(couldn't find a meme picture of Kyurem-Black, too edgy I guess)

Again, this is usually held back in OU because of its lack of Ice-type physical moves, forcing it to run mixed. Well, now it doesn't.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Adamant / Jolly / Naughty / Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge / Iron Head / Hone Claws / Earth Power
- Hail / Safeguard

Here, Kyurem-Black has decent enough Speed and good bulk to tank a hit, set its Speed, and start smashing the opponent:

*note: all of these calculations are a BP of 190
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 555-654 (178.4 - 210.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 528-622 (187.9 - 221.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 552-651 (179.2 - 211.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 364-430 (92.6 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 207-244 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (resist)
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 330-388 (127.4 - 149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 287-338 (100.7 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (resist)
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 237-279 (71.1 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Persian-Alola: 409-483 (122.4 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 592-697 (112.9 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 415-490 (106.1 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 501-591 (199.6 - 235.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Counters:
- Mimikyu, if it has Will-o-Wisp
- Tapu Koko, if it runs Fairium Z
- Clefable, if it is healthy
- Kartana, if Kyurem-Black has not boosted its Speed
- Scarf Terrakion

Also here's a dank set

Togekiss @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Super Luck
Modest / Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball / Nasty Plot

Send this in against a Clefable, Victini, or Porygon-Z when they boost their bulk. Then laugh at their face when you hit them with a 185 BP move that 100% crits.

252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko on a critical hit: 297-351 (105.6 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black on a critical hit: 513-604 (131.2 - 154.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini on a critical hit: 469-553 (137.5 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z on a critical hit: 595-702 (191.3 - 225.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Clefable on a critical hit: 513-604 (130.5 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja on a critical hit: 622-733 (218.2 - 257.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

tl;dr ban tapu koko, ban kyu-b, use togekiss

Beast Boost is amazing:

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Great late-game sweeper, use a Z-Move to gain +1 Attack and wreak havoc from there. Z-Move is flexible of course :)

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Mimikyu can be OHKO'd through disguise, as Kyurem-B has teravolt. That being said, I've had no issues with Kyurem myself.

Here's an interesting set I've been using

Victini @ Firium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 76 SpA / 56 SpD / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Celebrate
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Substitute

Z-Celebrate + Psych Up looks really weird, but it gives this Victini set a secondary purpose in allowing it to seriously harass or beat threats like Clefable, Snorlax, and some Kyurem sets. Psych Up in general is also cool for letting Victini heal itself when there's a clear switchin it can't beat or needs hazards chip to beat. It also allows Victini to effectively punish a set up sweeper that it checks, such as Magearna or some variants of Kyurem, as something has to be able to ohko Victini to stop it from getting the boost. A cool thing about this set is that victini serves a unique niche between Porygon-Z's +1 to all and Snorlaxes, by bringing in a lot of bulk AND a decent amount of immediate power.

The evs ensure that +6 to all Victini can 2hko physically defensive clebable; while some *might* be specially defensive, I can't really see a compelling reason to do so unless you're worried about the clef mirror or are specially running Clefable for Victini; almost every other special attacker falls under "clef will never beat this naturally" (Porygon-Z, some Manaphy) or "clef always beats this naturally" (whimsicott, other manaphy).

The bulk ensures that unaware clefable has to be CM to break Victini's sub, which also limits the ability for toxic sets / random crits / etc, while also minimizing Snorlax's ability to two hit KO victini with normal z-self destructs; the nature could easily be modest but I think that this victini set is often aiming to boost to +2, as there's a lot of KOs available to it at +2 but not many at +1, and z-firium is often able to nab the ones right out of reach like Tapu Koko. Bold's main use is that it turns Kyurem's adamant Outrage into a 3hko in hail outside of absolute max rolls, giving you extra time to z-celebrate or fish for low rolls / confusion. I'm sure there's a lot of room to use alternative spreads, but I just don't see the point - while a calm nature with a similar spread can beat Electric Porygon-Z, electric isn't particularly popular, and so forth.

Z-firium is honestly just a filler move but I think there's not much else needed, it hits dark types and does just enough extra damage to be worthwhile versus offense at +1 to all.

------------------

On the topic of other mons, something I've found particularly helpful in this meta is to look away from using multiple attacks and to instead focus on how much extra room z-moves give us for utility moves; for example, I don't see a whole lot of reason to ever run more than 2 attacks on Tapu Koko because they stop adding coverage, and while HP is theoretically helpful for landorus, sub + mirror move fairium also beats most Landorus, so U-turn + Wild Charge Fairium covers everything you might need covered. Z-moves are pretty absurdly powerful so you don't always need coverage.
Also here's a dank set

Togekiss @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Super Luck
Modest / Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball / Nasty Plot

tl;dr ban tapu koko, ban kyu-b, use togekiss
Since Z-fire blast is 185 base power, it's stronger than a neutral dazzling gleam would be versus a flying resist; dazzling gleam, in this situation, only hits Tyranitar harder to my knowledge. Dazzling gleam could be replaced with z-heal bell, substitute, etc. Similarly, shadow ball just doesn't hit anything harder than Supersonic + Fire Blast, so Nasty Plot is pretty much fair game. Otherwise this is a really cool concept.

Celebrate, Happy Hour and Hold Hands have been quickbanned.

I'd like to see how the meta develops for a couple days as well as hear more opinions about Kyurem-Black before deciding on its fate.

Due to the Evasion Clause rule I propose a quickban on: Camouflage, Detect, Flash, Kinesis, Lucky Chant, Magnet Rise, Sand Attack, and Smokescreen as they all boost evasion, I even tested this with a magnet rise ampharos and it did work

the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-639710421
These moves are now banned if used with a Z-Crystal, as part of the Evasion Clause.

Honestly despite what everyone is saying I've actually found the meta to be quite balanced, and there's nothing that strikes me as needing to go. Also however it's obviously a very offensively inclined meta and you'd struggle to run stall effectively, other offensive archetypes like Bulky Offence and offensively inclined "Balance" builds are shaping up to be really strong too (if built well), so it's not all just Hyper Offence.

Anyway, I always try to be innovative and that has actually led to a lot of success in this meta, so here are 3 cool sets that will perhaps allow people to adapt to a bunch of the mons they are currently struggling with.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower

Sometimes it's hard to justify using a Mega Evolution in a meta like this where you have to sacrifice running a Z-Crystal, but Mega Scizor actually works really well, and I've seen someone else using Mega Diancie to great success as an offensive SR setter.
Mega Scizor's great bulk and typing actually allow it to go toe to toe with a bunch of the meta's biggest threats, particularly Kyurem-B, and sponge up a lot of nasty moves. Perhaps more important however is Scizor's invaluable Technician boosted Bullet Punch, allowing it to finish off a bunch of mons crippled by your allies' Z-moves, as well as bopping many strong pokemon such as Mimikyu. Having U-Turn to become a slow pivot is also very useful, and Superpower can sometimes do a lot of work too.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 124-147 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 256-303 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

8 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 186-222 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
8 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 222-264 (88.4 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
8 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 342-404 (120 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Crustle @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Rock Wrecker
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock

Crustle is pretty epic in this meta. This thing is crazy under prepared for and has the capacity to tear teams apart. At +2 Adamant Crustle out speeds Greninja, you can run Jolly to catch Koko but you may miss certain KOs. Sturdy is an amazing ability in this meta to let you survive a powerful Z-Move and almost guarantee a Shell Smash. Rock Blast is the Rock STAB of choice because Mimikyu is so common, and it also helps break through opposing Sturdies and Substitutes. Groundium Z Rock Wrecker gives an awesome Ground type Nuke for the EdgeQuake coverage, which in this meta at +2 is all the coverage you need. To fill I tend to run Stealth Rock as it gives Crustle that extra golden bit of utility in match ups where it can't sweep, or Rocks would just be super handy. One cool thing to note is that with Z-Shell Smash resetting stat drops, if you're allowed to get multiple Shell Smashes you're defences still never drop bellow one stage, which can actually be very handy as after 2 Smashes the only thing stopping you is priority, so not losing too much defence goes a long way.
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 279-333 (111.1 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 400-480 (102.3 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Tectonic Rage (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 444-523 (109.9 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regice @ Groundium Z
Ability: Clear Body
Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Rock Polish

This set may seem super cheesy but it has actually performed super well. Z-Gravity is super cool as it makes Blizzard 100% accurate, Zap Cannon very reliable, and Tectonic Rage have no immunities. Plus it gives +1 SpA! Rock Polish is also super strong for being Rock Polish, and at +2 Regice can out speed Tapu Koko even when Modest. Let's just say that +1 SpA with 110 Bp Ice STAB, Bolt Beam coverage with Zap Cannon cancer, and a 190 Bp Tectonic Rage with no immunities is nothing to scoff at. If you can get both Rock Polish and Gravity this thing is crazy, and with 80/100/200 bulk it's not impossible. Perhaps the coolest thing about this set though is how it interacts with others. If Hail is in affect you can just use Rock Polish and abuse Accurate Blizzards alongside Tectonic Rage to be a fast Special Mamoswine. Where as if Electric Terrain is in affect your Zap Cannon becomes nuts after a Gravity. Neither of these conditions are that uncommon either with Hail Kyurem and Tapu Koko being everywhere as well as more than viable partners. If you pair Regice and Koko together you can also abuse Gravity + E-Terrain shenanigans. Levitators and Flyers like Thundurus-I abusing E-Terrain, and Ground types abusing Gravity whilst denying opposing Electric types.
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 139-165 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Regice Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 313-369 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Regice Tectonic Rage (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 378-446 (110.8 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replays: Low ladder replays so none of the opponents are particularly good but the replays still showcase what the pokemon are capable of.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640141524 - Shows how Mega Scizor can put in a lot of work, also has Regice clean without any set up.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640140928 - A poor opponent but you can see how Crustle easily 6-0s after his random Ninetales play.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640135038 - Crustle puts in some work, Mega Scizor stops a Garchomp, and Regice is the absolute star.

I swear I'd have so many great Crustle replays if I didn't keep misplaying him, hitting Rock Blast is just too much easier than selecting a Z-Move I can't help it and it always bites me.

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mimikyu can be OHKO'd through disguise, as Kyurem-B has teravolt. That being said, I've had no issues with Kyurem myself.

Here's an interesting set I've been using

Victini @ Firium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 76 SpA / 56 SpD / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Celebrate
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Substitute
psy up delete the boost of vitini :/

Honestly despite what everyone is saying I've actually found the meta to be quite balanced, and there's nothing that strikes me as needing to go. Also however it's obviously a very offensively inclined meta and you'd struggle to run stall effectively, other offensive archetypes like Bulky Offence and offensively inclined "Balance" builds are shaping up to be really strong too (if built well), so it's not all just Hyper Offence.

Anyway, I always try to be innovative and that has actually led to a lot of success in this meta, so here are 3 cool sets that will perhaps allow people to adapt to a bunch of the mons they are currently struggling with.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower

Sometimes it's hard to justify using a Mega Evolution in a meta like this where you have to sacrifice running a Z-Crystal, but Mega Scizor actually works really well, and I've seen someone else using Mega Diancie to great success as an offensive SR setter.
Mega Scizor's great bulk and typing actually allow it to go toe to toe with a bunch of the meta's biggest threats, particularly Kyurem-B, and sponge up a lot of nasty moves. Perhaps more important however is Scizor's invaluable Technician boosted Bullet Punch, allowing it to finish off a bunch of mons crippled by your allies' Z-moves, as well as bopping many strong pokemon such as Mimikyu. Having U-Turn to become a slow pivot is also very useful, and Superpower can sometimes do a lot of work too.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 124-147 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 256-303 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

8 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 186-222 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
8 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 222-264 (88.4 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
8 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 342-404 (120 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Crustle @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Rock Wrecker
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock

Crustle is pretty epic in this meta. This thing is crazy under prepared for and has the capacity to tear teams apart. At +2 Adamant Crustle out speeds Greninja, you can run Jolly to catch Koko but you may miss certain KOs. Sturdy is an amazing ability in this meta to let you survive a powerful Z-Move and almost guarantee a Shell Smash. Rock Blast is the Rock STAB of choice because Mimikyu is so common, and it also helps break through opposing Sturdies and Substitutes. Groundium Z Rock Wrecker gives an awesome Ground type Nuke for the EdgeQuake coverage, which in this meta at +2 is all the coverage you need. To fill I tend to run Stealth Rock as it gives Crustle that extra golden bit of utility in match ups where it can't sweep, or Rocks would just be super handy. One cool thing to note is that with Z-Shell Smash resetting stat drops, if you're allowed to get multiple Shell Smashes you're defences still never drop bellow one stage, which can actually be very handy as after 2 Smashes the only thing stopping you is priority, so not losing too much defence goes a long way.
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 279-333 (111.1 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 400-480 (102.3 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Tectonic Rage (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 444-523 (109.9 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regice @ Groundium Z
Ability: Clear Body
Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Rock Polish

This set may seem super cheesy but it has actually performed super well. Z-Gravity is super cool as it makes Blizzard 100% accurate, Zap Cannon very reliable, and Tectonic Rage have no immunities. Plus it gives +1 SpA! Rock Polish is also super strong for being Rock Polish, and at +2 Regice can out speed Tapu Koko even when Modest. Let's just say that +1 SpA with 110 Bp Ice STAB, Bolt Beam coverage with Zap Cannon cancer, and a 190 Bp Tectonic Rage with no immunities is nothing to scoff at. If you can get both Rock Polish and Gravity this thing is crazy, and with 80/100/200 bulk it's not impossible. Perhaps the coolest thing about this set though is how it interacts with others. If Hail is in affect you can just use Rock Polish and abuse Accurate Blizzards alongside Tectonic Rage to be a fast Special Mamoswine. Where as if Electric Terrain is in affect your Zap Cannon becomes nuts after a Gravity. Neither of these conditions are that uncommon either with Hail Kyurem and Tapu Koko being everywhere as well as more than viable partners. If you pair Regice and Koko together you can also abuse Gravity + E-Terrain shenanigans. Levitators and Flyers like Thundurus-I abusing E-Terrain, and Ground types abusing Gravity whilst denying opposing Electric types.
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 139-165 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Regice Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 313-369 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Regice Tectonic Rage (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 378-446 (110.8 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replays: Low ladder replays so none of the opponents are particularly good but the replays still showcase what the pokemon are capable of.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640141524 - Shows how Mega Scizor can put in a lot of work, also has Regice clean without any set up.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640140928 - A poor opponent but you can see how Crustle easily 6-0s after his random Ninetales play.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ultimatez-640135038 - Crustle puts in some work, Mega Scizor stops a Garchomp, and Regice is the absolute star.

I swear I'd have so many great Crustle replays if I didn't keep misplaying him, hitting Rock Blast is just too much easier than selecting a Z-Move I can't help it and it always bites me.
Greninja,s of the better variety don't run waterium Z , they use firium, groundium for coverage (the former being able to nuke m scizor for x4 dmG)

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kyub is definitely broken. With +1 speed, and access to a 180-200 (depending on the set) bp STAB move, it can sweep whole teams. Indeed, the Z-Hail breaks sashes, rendering them useless as a counter. I think that Kyub should definitely be banned.

Stall is not dead:

Toxapex @ Waterium Z
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Baneful Bunker
- Stockpile
- Toxic

Z-stockpile gives defenses up to 3 stages each, and fully restores HP, even if you have maxed out stockpile.
Toxic stalling gets a buff since Z-Toxic gives +1 def.
Z-baneful bunker is there to also give a defense boost and to reduce z damage to help stall.

Sludge wave and waterium z provide dual STAB.
I chose waterium z/sludge wave instead of poisonium z/scald because while the burn chance is nice, the only real reason why you're attacking instead of spamming full heal stockpile is because the enemy is poison/steel type. You probably want more damage instead of a burn chance.

Merciless instead of regenerator, because of things like Porygon-z. Crits ignore the enemy's stat changes, so defense boosting doesn't matter (unless you're up against Jirachi, then no toxic for you.)

This thing can tank super effective physical z-moves at +6 no problem, and while +3 for Special Defense isn't all that great when it comes to this meta, toxapex can usually handle it.

[Gen 7] Ultimate Z replay: 2 savage vs. PokeSix - Pokémon Showdown
Battle where toxapex struggles with tapu lele and they go for a disrespect and fail horribly

EDIT: Agree with The Ruins of Alpha for Kyurem-B ban, after all, the main reason why it's not in Ubers is because of its lack of good moves.\

EDIT 5: I can't stop editing my post, help

EDIT 8: Most of these edits are unnoted, just wanted to clarify

EDIT 11: 40 mins later and I'm still editing
that was me in the battle, just because i misplayed doesnt mean the set is good. ive fought it multiple times and its something easy to surpass

Just want to say that rain is pretty god in this meta. Given that scarfers are a little uncommon, mainly because everyone is using z-memes, your Omastar in rain is pretty much unchecked and can fire off Hydro Vortexes capable of easily OHKOing Greninja, for instance.

Steelix @ Steelium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Psych Up
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Anyways here's a set I like. For one, it's one of the only good answers to Tapu Koko, completely stopping Electrium variants and soft-checking special, non-Electrium variants. With its high defense and resistance to Flying, it can function as a somewhat check to Landorus-T and Talonflame, as it avoids being 2HKOd by them if it gets a Defense boost. Explosion is a strong attack that can be used to keep momentum if needed, and if you choose to put in 36 Attack EVs, Corkscrew Crash will always OHKO Kyurem-B, letting you beat it 1v1 (although you really can't switch in lol). But perhaps my favourite part about this set is the combination of Z-Psych Up and Sturdy. The combination of Sturdy and a fully healing move lets Steelix always reset its Sturdy if it moves last, letting it Toxic stall with little risk. If you get a free turn to Toxic something, Steelix can often beat it while retaining full health and copying any boosts it gains. Copying random boosts is helpful too, although far less now that Celebrate, Hold Hands, and Happy Hour is banned.

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Z metronome has been seeing a bit of use with Mew. Is this common, and should I add a counter for it to my team? If yes, what would a hypothetical counter to it be?

I wouldn't call myself good in this meta by any stretch, but I'm going to drop my two cents based on what I saw playing the last two days. First, Kyurem-B and Tapu Koko are broken and highly centralizing. Kyurem-B has the ability to drop 200 BP Ice Type moves (250 after STAB) while also accumulating a speed boost that either blocks status (safeguard) or breaks sashes (hail). To add to this, Kyu-B also still carries Fusion Bolt to hit water types that would resist Subzero Slammer. This means that you can outspeed all slower scarfers while throwing around weight that is difficult to switch into.

Tapu Koko has access to a number of sets, based on if you want to go physical or special. Its access to its high speed tier, a strong physical gigavolt havoc or of any other type on special sets makes it incredibly difficult to play around. A wrong play regarding either of these mons often results in an immediate loss. Neither really has a switch in and both are incredibly common, acting as gatekeepers to what could be an otherwise diverse meta. For these reasons, I think both Kyurem-B and Tapu Koko are currently broken in the metagame.

Now for positivity:

Kingdra @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Clear Smog

I've been running this Kingdra after seeing a similar Latias set give one of my teams some problems. Z Rain Dance both gives you plus one and doubles your original speed, guaranteeing that nothing will outspeed you. Clear Smog is there both to eliminate stat boosts and to give a more accurate move to pick off weakened fairies. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor provide hard hitting STAB options. Fightinium Z off a Draco Meteor gives Kingdra a powerful special move that hits Kyu-B, Greninja, and Kartana for super effective damage while having no drawback for Kingdra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)