Ubers: Why not?

and that is why i run bulk up, sub, focus punch and dragon claw palkia. you tell me one common counter that beat that thing(if you dare to say groudon i am just gonna say he will have to face a +2 palkia, 1 bulk up on his switch and another on the turn he break the sub, by there he already lost). also you mentioned how its all about prediction and then mention how rare is for rayquaza to fire blast the first turn. but isnt that what prediction is all about? use the right move on the switch of the so called counter to ko him?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't Lugia and Physically defensive Mewtwo beat that Palkia?
Not to meantion that Groudon does beat that Palkia if it carries Roar. Giratina also can run Roar and phase you out. But yes I think I get your point Lucalibur

standard lugia ice beam cant break the subs. so he is a setup bait at best. defensive mewtwo CAN but its not a full stop, he switch into a sub and then gotta deal with a +1 palkia and who knows? might carry a lum berry? also no one run roar giratina. but whatever, this is not the place to talk about sets, i was just using sub bulk up palkia as a example of how ubers can go and run as many different sets they want.
Standard Lugia carries Whirlwind...

Why not just use Spacial Rend? Pretty sure it hits harder even with minimal investment.

But yeah, Palkia is fairly versatile. I know that some stall players have used BU/Rest/ST/Outrage Palkia as their Kyogre counter.

Standard Lugia carries Whirlwind...
really? i dont see a whirlwind lugia in weeks(that is about 50 battles lol). that or everyone was too lazy to use and though they could stall it out...but i dk.

also MTR because of soul dew lati@s are hit harder by dragon claw(what ohko anyway). but yeah you all get my point, ubers can run just about any set they want. offensive CM lugia is a great example of this. a normally defensive pokemon is capable of setting up and sweeping with little problems.

rumors are that gen 5 is bringing a significant amount of ubers to the metagame. most important a physical eletric one(zekrom to be specific). maybe that will boost the popularity of the tier? one of the things ubers is unfamous for is the small amount of....well ubers.

There will probably be a rise in Uber usage with the new games coming out just because alot of people will want to use the new legends. So if Shoddy can update with the new pokemon fairly quickly we may see a quick growth in people on the Uber ladder :)

What I'm afraid of is seeing a surfeit of poor players who just use moves like Psychic. But not to worry: most of these players will rapidly quit, while the good ones remain and grow the community.

i recently made an uber team, centered around the purpose of defeating mysterial (pbr stargazer colosseum, masters battle set 8)
and surprise surprise, after he sent my other uber team home crying, he got completely obliterated by the new team :D
the team consists of
palkia
dialga
deoxys-D
latias
arceus-grass
kyogre

so, the strategy is that i lead with palkia and a defensive pokemon (back then i used latias). palkia uses trick room straight away (all pokes have 0 speed IV's+EV's) and latias switches to kyogre (specsed kyogre). kyogre spams water spout while all the others support with hydro pump, surf, thunder, and other moves. This was all custom made and my first semi-pro team without any help from smogon strategies :D. anyway, the trick in this is that mysterial's pokemon are all at highest speed possible (kyogre even is choiced to get 50% speed bonus). using this, and the (by uber standards) calamitous low speed stats of my pokes give me the advantage in speed when trick room is used (by either palkia or arceus).
while palkia+kyogre combo can rip through generally everything (as far as i know) this is a good team, with unexpected results in competetive battling.

but yeah, the main problem with ubers is the lack of players, because many are afraid to battle those uber users who don't know what EV's or IV's are... (to be honest, a year ago i didn't know what it was either... i just kept using my 336 sp atk mewtwo and disconnected when it was defeated via wi-fi by an absol XD)

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dual, under Trick Room that entire team is pretty much walled by Blissey, as she can outspeed Kyogre and Seismic Toss you to ruin Water Spout's power. Unless Dialga is physical (which I doubt because you said it uses Thunder). Grass-type Arceus only gets Bullet Seed for physical STAB so I doubt that is physical. Your post is kind of hard to read too...where did you use this team? It can't have been on shoddy...I'm sort of confused, was it used on Pokemon Collosseum?

Maybe now, with all the Salamence lovers loving Salamence, Ubers will get a newer crowd. With Salamence moving on up to Ubers, it may be likely that some newcomers will come in and abuse Salamence + Rayquaza combination. Anyways, it has been a while since I've been on Shoddy, so I wouldn't know; but I still lurk the forums ;P

I don't know, Salamence has a way harder time securing setup opportunities in Ubers than in OU, and abusing Salamence+Rayquaza is very difficult due to there being Groudon and the ubiquity of Palkia and Dialga.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't see why Mence can't just be used as a standalone sweeper, to be honest. He has enough qualities over Ray that he can use to sweep by himself.

I just started playing and chose ubers because I like using Ho-oh and Latios. I've only been playing a couple of days but while searching for random uber matches I've been running into teams without any uber (or even OU) pokemon in them that have odd strategies and are basically pushovers. This doesn't give me any practice and so when I do run into a real uber team I don't stand much of a chance. Also, it seems if you get a critical hit or paralyze a few pokes people tend to just quit the match, which is annoying.

I have run into one Palkia, and seeing what it did to my team, I wish I could play against more to learn how to counter it. It can be a little intimidating seeing as how powerful and difficult some of these pokes are (especially Rayquaza and Giratina-O), and matches seem to be either unbeatable or impossible to lose (gimmick teams) with little middle ground. This is all in my very short experience, of course, as a brand new player who's just gotten to Azalea Town in the actual game :P

breh

強いだね
I'm sorry if this isn't helpful but...

I believe that I decided one time when I was bored as hell of UU (either lass era or duck; can't remember) and decided to try to learn a new meta. I was unaware that NU existed on the CAP ladder (and only learned this recently, lol) and thus had two choices - OU or Ubers. I decided to try out Ubers, and from what I had read, I formed a makeshift team and decided to try it out. With a little guidance (and a bit from the Ubers guide), I used a weird Sunny day team with.. metagross and Drapion (no, I'm serious about Drapion lol).

I lost horribly and decided to try OU instead, getting app. 1300 rating quite quickly.

Case in point: Ubers is far more difficult to learn than OU (or any other tier for that matter, IMO). Also a newer guide would help; its length is quite discouraging, it posesses quite a few typos, and Ho-oh's possesion of Brave Bird goes totally unmentioned.

Shrang said:
I can't see why Mence can't just be used as a standalone sweeper, to be honest. He has enough qualities over Ray that he can use to sweep by himself.
The strategy is viable, but I think that most people prefer the power of Rayquaza over the the speed of Salamence.

hgplayer said:
I just started playing and chose ubers because I like using Ho-oh and Latios. I've only been playing a couple of days but while searching for random uber matches I've been running into teams without any uber (or even OU) pokemon in them that have odd strategies and are basically pushovers. This doesn't give me any practice and so when I do run into a real uber team I don't stand much of a chance. Also, it seems if you get a critical hit or paralyze a few pokes people tend to just quit the match, which is annoying.

I have run into one Palkia, and seeing what it did to my team, I wish I could play against more to learn how to counter it. It can be a little intimidating seeing as how powerful and difficult some of these pokes are (especially Rayquaza and Giratina-O), and matches seem to be either unbeatable or impossible to lose (gimmick teams) with little middle ground. This is all in my very short experience, of course, as a brand new player who's just gotten to Azalea Town in the actual game :P
Don't worry, you certainly aren't the only one complaining about the lack of a middle ground.

You also have to keep in mind that Pokemon is a game of imperfect information, and you have to make decisions from the information you currently have. Since many of the viable Ubers have several pages full of viable movesets, it becomes even harder to make decisions since the information you have is more likely to be wrong based on probability, but you can make it easier to gain information by making certain deductions. Just keep in mind team archetypes and synergy when determining a pokemon's possible set. For example, Dialga is more likely to be a BU variant in Bulky Offense teams and Stall teams rather than Hyper Offensive teams.

His only advantage is being able to tie with Palkia, Salamence's power is strong, but not strong enough, and is even more frail than Rayquaza, so bullet punch hurts even harder. At least SD Ray can eliminate Palkia, while Mence has to rely on dragon dance to even have a chance, although imo DD is the better sweep.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

You have a Ho-oh and Latios and you lost to Palkia?? Basically, if you have Sun up (Ho-oh should ALWAYS be run with Groudon), Palkia is going to have a tough time touching unless you're playing against my Specs Palkia.

Case in point: Ubers is far more difficult to learn than OU (or any other tier for that matter, IMO). Also a newer guide would help; its length is quite discouraging, it posesses quite a few typos, and Ho-oh's possesion of Brave Bird goes totally unmentioned.
It is currently being revised. Patience, use the Force, think =D

For example, Dialga is more likely to be a BU variant in Bulky Offense teams and Stall teams rather than Hyper Offensive teams.
I have no idea what a bulky/hyper offense or stall team looks like :P The only Dialga's I've seen are used as the starting pokemon and either set up rocks or just start attacking.

You have a Ho-oh and Latios and you lost to Palkia?? Basically, if you have Sun up (Ho-oh should ALWAYS be run with Groudon), Palkia is going to have a tough time touching unless you're playing against my Specs Palkia.
Maybe it was your specs Palkia. I just know he outsped everything, I couldn't get a hit in, and he kept using spacial rend.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Spacial Rend doesn't do much to Ho-Oh, while it OHKOs back with Brave Bird. Lati@s should be EVd to be faster than Palkia - if they aren't, that's pretty bad and needs fixing.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea what a bulky/hyper offense or stall team looks like :P The only Dialga's I've seen are used as the starting pokemon and either set up rocks or just start attacking.

Maybe it was your specs Palkia. I just know he outsped everything, I couldn't get a hit in, and he kept using spacial rend.
The first part maybe you should read this guide. Its pretty much done except for small nitpicks here and there, so take a read if you really need help.

The second part ....well theres a few of things wrong with that sentence.

#1 Latias should always have Soul Dew and a Timid Nature, which means it may outspeed you, but it will have no chance to OHKO you with Spacial Rend unless it crits.

#2 Ho-Oh, with no defensive investment, takes 35.7% - 41.9% from Spacial Rend, meaning that even with Stealth Rock down you would have lived.

As stated above, Groudon should always be used on teams with Ho-Oh as well, maybe try the RMT archive for good example teams?

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I don't know, Salamence has a way harder time securing setup opportunities in Ubers than in OU, and abusing Salamence+Rayquaza is very difficult due to there being Groudon and the ubiquity of Palkia and Dialga.
Actually, he really doesn't. When I first started using Mence in Ubers, my team was Deo-S/Ray/Mewtwo/Wobb/Mence/Gira-O. Get rocks up, kill one with Wobb/encore a move that Mence can come in on, DD, then proceed to sweep.

I started using him again recently, but on a completely different team. The main thing you have to keep in mind with Mence is that you HAVE to use Wobbuffet - when I used SDRay and DDMence, my choice depended on what my opponent had - if I saw a Lugia, I'd go to Mence; Timid Lugia would outspeed and OHKO Ray, while simultaneously laughing at +2 LO Extremespeed. SDRay also has a major ScarfDialga weakness, which is something DDMence laughs at.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea that there was a drawn-out uber guide. I also thought soul dew was banned (there's so much to remember with all these clauses)? I don't really like Groudon... but I have noticed that Ho-oh really doesn't do much on my team.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
In Sun, Ho-Oh is a monster. Without Groudon, at best you'll get neutral weather, which isn't using Ho-Oh as the destructive force it should be - and if they carry Kyogre you won't be able to get rid of Rain.

Ho-Oh teams should always have a Forretress + Ho-Oh + Groudon + Giratina-O core.

#2 Ho-Oh, with no defensive investment, takes 35.7% - 41.9% from Spacial Rend, meaning that even with Stealth Rock down you would have lived.

As stated above, Groudon should always be used on teams with Ho-Oh as well, maybe try the RMT archive for good example teams?
wont he die from SR+spacial rend+brave bird recoil(gotta kill in a way or another and EQ just wont do enough)though?

yes. ho-oh is quite powerful in the sun since not only negate his water weakness but also drop thunder accuracy to 50% and power-up sacred fire, that IMO is great shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)