Not open for further replies.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Sweep
Based on other Player of the Week threads
Co-hosted by Arii Stella

Art by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to Ubers Player of the Week! This'll be a weekly project where Arii Stella & I alternatively interview well known players every week to try to get to know them better. If anyone has suggestions on who we should interview next, feel free to shoot Arii / me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Lord Outrage

Favorite Pokemon(s):

Latios

Most Known For:
3rd place ORAS Ubers Summer Seasonal, 4th Place ORAS Ubers Winter Seasonal, 2nd Place ORAS Ubers Fall Seasonal
Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a third year Civil Engineering student. I like football a lot - playing and watching. I wanted to have a professional career when I was younger, but things didn't go as well as I thought and now its just a hobby. I really like Hip Hop too.

How did you come up with the name 'Lord Outrage'?

Before I joined Smogon, I used to play on PO and had a different name. After I joined Smogon, I wanted to open a new page so I was looking for a name. Since I was a very irritable person both online and in real life, I decided to use Outrage as a name, which means an extremely strong reaction of anger. Since the name Outrage was obviously taken, I decided to add a Lord at the beginning.

What's your favorite playstyle in Ubers and why?

My favorite playstyle is definitely stall, not only in Ubers, but also in all other competitive tiers. I feel that stall gives me insurance and makes me feel safe. I also feel in control when I use it. However, like everyone has probably noticed, I use hyper offensive teams 90% of the time in Ubers tournaments. Even though stall is my favorite playstyle I don't use it in a metagame where any other archetype is better.
You've performed well in every Ubers tournament you've competed in, how do you manage to remain so consistent?

These are the following factors which played a part in my consistent tournament performance:

1) Teambuilding is probably the one that stands out the most. Before every tournament starts, I build a couple of new teams. Moreover, when I play someone serious who I think might prepare against me, I build again.
2) I usually prepare for good opponents. However, since I'm still active in tours, I definitely wont talk about that here. I just want to say that I never counter-team but rather accommodate teams and playstyles according to my opponent.
3) Planning during preview. I take around a minute at the start of every game during which I make a clear plan I follow during the game. After I make the plan, I usually play fast during the game to keep the momentum.
4) Learning from mistakes is really important. I usually rewatch the replays when I lose to identify if there was a turn I would've played better.

What was the most memorable moment of your all your seasonal runs?

Summer seasonal final six versus Steelphoenix. In that seasonal, I lost to Steel round 2 in a very close game three which ended earlier than planned because of a game changing crit. This fueled our already existing beef to high levels. After that, I won around 12 rounds in losers bracket and met him again in last 6, where I won 2-0. That was a win or quit series and I was able to win it quite smoothly. The feeling after winning was great.

How do you prepare yourself for big tournament games?

As mentioned in one of the previous questions, I usually only prepare for players who main in Ubers. Versus others, I use solid stuff without any preparation. Like everyone, I watch replays of my opponent, fish for weaknesses and build my teams accordingly. I also spot the sets he likes and keep them in mind when I'm building.

What's your stance on team match-up in ORAS Ubers?

I don't think that match-up is a thing in ORAS Ubers. A player who uses solid teams that has provision for all archetypes and who changes teams regularly will never struggle with matchup in my opinion. However, what I do believe, is a small edge a player might have over the other just at team preview. It's then in the hands of the disadvantaged player to play better and predict during the game to make up for the preview deficit.

What are you most looking forward to in gen 7, Pokemon Sun & Moon?

I would really like a Darkrai check that could be used on balance to make it stronger because Darkrai is a pain for balance and makes all balances look almost the same. I would also like new abilities and especially ones that would benefit the stall and balance archetypes.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon/Ubers community?

I really like a lot of people and there is no place for all. I will only talk about 4 people:

James Jimmy: My oldest friend on Smogon. I met him on the ladder probably on the first day I played on PS! Then things just went up really quickly and we're really close now.

Astounded: I met Astounded more than 2 years ago on PO ladder. I was an amateur then and he was way better than me. Then we reached an equal playing level, and slayed PO ladder together. We've become really cool together now.

Hack: The person I'm grateful to most and owe my success to. When nobody wanted to buy me in UPL3 because I was just a ladder player, he saw potential in me and bought me. I ended up with best ORAS Ubers record and we won UPL that year, which was really great. He kept on supporting me tons after that too.

Wreckdra: He used to dislike me before UPL3, but when we were paired on the same team, we developed a special bond and I can't imagine Smogon without him.

Favorite UPL/Seasonal/Ubers Open game(s)?

This is my favourite game, which is from Ubers Summer Seasonal top 6 vs steelphoenix. I had problems with Steel's Choice Scarf Landorus-T all game because I had both Mewtwo and Darkrai. I thought I lost the game until the last 2-3 turns where everything changed. I set up with Mega Salamence, Primal Groudon paralysed me and died from poison just in time. When Landorus came in, I knew I would live a Stone Edge, so I had to avoid parahax to win the game. My Mega Salamence avoided parahax, refreshed, recovered, then killed Landorus and Skarmory.

Do you have any tips for newer players trying to establish themselves in the community?

I'd advise new players to ask for help when needed. There are always experienced players out there willing to help. I also recommend them to build their own teams. I don't know in other tiers, but in Ubers, a player never becomes solid without building his own teams. I also advise them to play in tournaments even if they feel they are not ready yet, they will learn a lot. Ladder is really important but at some point there's nothing new to learn there.

Finally, can you provide us a team with a brief explanation on how it works?

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Origin Pulse
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Tail
- Defog

Klefki (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Spikes

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Rest

My favorite balance team of all. I used it for the first time more than a year ago and on multiple occasions after that. I can proudly say I discovered toxic mono attack Primal Kyogre. I used it on this team and on many other teams, and I really like how it breaks through anything not HO. The team is based around both Kyogre and Ho-oH and their abilities to break through everything. It's really important to abuse the power of those 2 pokemon versus stall, balance and BO. Versus HO, the opponent will be obsessed with keeping rocks up which will make them predictable. The team has fat tools and checks to anything used on HO. It's up to the player to predict well and abuse the opsession of the opponent with keeping rocks up. I think this team has good matchup versus everything with even matchup versus HO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big thanks to Outrage for taking out time to complete this interview.
Make sure you ask him any (respectful) questions below! :toast:

(>'v')>

Oh yeah, UPL3, was that the one where people were expecting Hack's team to tear itself apart?

If you could change ONE thing about ORAS Ubers, what would it be?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The use of regular groudon sprite in your sample team makes me cry.

What kind of hip-hop you listen to? You don't have to go too into detail but maybe a little bit of depth for perspective would be nice.

Without spoiling too much for tour preps or w/e could you provide a checklist or teambuilding structure you normally go through whichever you prefer explaining. Felt like the idea you gave was kind of vague and I'm curious.

Your attitude can be absolute dogshit a lot of times but I've noticed you've gotten a lot better over time, much respect. My B for blaming an Ubers loss on your teambuilding at the time lol. I was in a shitty state as well.

Good luck in your continued success in Ubers.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
when did you realise laddering is futile
your fav bw, dpp, and adv ubers team. if you don't give proper answer i'll know you're with pommy boy and the cops, and you're a SNITCH
what position you play at? fav club(s), and thoughts on the surge in stupid money(pogba, higuan)
astounded and pohjis hanging from a cliff. what you gonna say to both of them before walking away

Name your 3 favorite rappers
It's really difficult to name only 3 (I like 10), but I would say Biggie, Method Man, and Nas.

(>'v')>

Oh yeah, UPL3, was that the one where people were expecting Hack's team to tear itself apart?

If you could change ONE thing about ORAS Ubers, what would it be?
<('v'<)

Yes, people were expecting the team to tear itself apart because it had me, Astounded, and PTR together. We proved everybody wrong and won UPL though.

I would ban Darkrai.

Question, how does it feel to be a g-sta?
Also football dream team, I need to know :3
lol

Arsenal is my dream team.

back when you were a ladder player which players did you look up to?
I think hack is the only player I ever looked up too. I was on PO when he went 7-0 in POCL and I liked they way he acted and played in battles.

The use of regular groudon sprite in your sample team makes me cry.

What kind of hip-hop you listen to? You don't have to go too into detail but maybe a little bit of depth for perspective would be nice.

Without spoiling too much for tour preps or w/e could you provide a checklist or teambuilding structure you normally go through whichever you prefer explaining. Felt like the idea you gave was kind of vague and I'm curious.

Your attitude can be absolute dogshit a lot of times but I've noticed you've gotten a lot better over time, much respect. My B for blaming an Ubers loss on your teambuilding at the time lol. I was in a shitty state as well.

Good luck in your continued success in Ubers.
No I use Primal Don sprite for ORAS teams :(

Old school hip hop (Biggie, Pac, Wu Tang, NWA, Big Pun, etc...) is my favorite and especially gangsta rap. I also listen to new rap songs but only made by artists who were on the scene since the 90s (nas, mos def, etc). I really hate new rappers and find them horrible, really bad, and just commercial (Drake, Wiz Khalifa, etc...).

I have lots of cores in my mind, offensive and defensive like for instance: Dialga, Mega Gengar, and Rayquaza. When I watch replays of my opponent I can directly identify if he's weak to a certain Pokemon or set and I see if this is repetitive on many of his teams. If his teams are solid, I then try to identify weaknesses to the cores I have in mind. After around an hour of watching replays I start building. Preparation usually takes around 2 hours now, but used to take around 4 when i was less experienced. That's why I think that metagame knowledge is way more important than any other factors (plays, matchup, etc...)

lol np my teams are sometimes a bit difficult to use.
when did you realise laddering is futile
your fav bw, dpp, and adv ubers team. if you don't give proper answer i'll know you're with pommy boy and the cops, and you're a SNITCH
what position you play at? fav club(s), and thoughts on the surge in stupid money(pogba, higuan)
astounded and pohjis hanging from a cliff. what you gonna say to both of them before walking away
Ladder is not futile until you reach a certain level where you don't get any benefit from laddering. I stopped laddering when Hack bought me for UPL3. That was 1.5 years ago.

bw: Anik's HO
dpp: BKC Cloyster Offense
adv: PTR's team

Left back
Arsenal
I think that after 2009 many clubs wasted football and fucked up the mercato. Real Madrid's hunger for a champions league made them spend mad money. Oil money clubs like PSG and City too, as well as Chelsea and United now. By paying too much money for players who don't deserve that much, the overall price of all the players went up. I hope this ends at some point and I think It will when the world will reach another economical crisis. I also think that Pogba is overrated (Yaya Toure in his prime is something Pogba will never reach) and that Higuain deserves max 40 M at 29.

I would save Astounded lol but I would tell pohjis that he will probably hax and end up on a matress after he falls, then walk away.

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Do you actually use outrage more than other moves?
Best xerneas set?
Thoughts on perfect zygarde?You think it will join mega rayquaza?
Best ubers battler in your opinion.
Will u be my friend?

ty for answering :3

Do you actually use outrage more than other moves?
Best xerneas set?
Thoughts on perfect zygarde?You think it will join mega rayquaza?
Best ubers battler in your opinion.
Will u be my friend?

ty for answering :3
I only use Outrage on Scarf Salamence in UU and now mence is banned there. :/

Best Xerneas set is Geomancy, Aroma, Moonblast, HP Rock. I like Scarf Xerneas a lot too but it's not the best.

I think the idea of zygarde in gen 7 is nice but perfect form will definitely join mega rayquaza.

Hack

We already are :D

hi tutor :)

gimme some good underrated/gimmicky sets to use :^)
;]

Max speed Jolly Max Attack Primal Groudon with Stealth Rock Swords Dance PB and SE. (only if u have another solid Xerneas check)

Naive Mixedquaza with DracoMeteor/Extreme Speed/V create/Dragon Accent

Why didn't you answer my question? :'(
I found it funny and gave you a like :I

ohmahgawd it's lord outrage (=*-*)=

Which gen do u like most?
3 fav uber mons?
marry me?
Gen 6 ORAS
Latios, Ekiller, Dialga
yes :0

Why do you run minimum speed necessary on every mon?

Reflect Waterceus: Yay or Nay?

Favorite Lord Outrage quote?

How many times have you been banned from PO?

Steeljackal, Pohjis, and myself walk into a bar where you are drinking. We collectively insult your mother. Who do you challenge to a best of 5 to the death and why?

How should I prepare for my upcoming seasonal matches against you? How will you react when you lose to Jolly PDon + Heatran?

Hi :3

What was your biggest outrage moment during a pokemon match?

How often do u evade your po ban?:p

Most underrated ubers pokemon in your opinion?

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Can we expect some crazy innovation coming out from you for Open?

Predictions on top 8 for this Ubers Open (aka which 7 will be with you waiting to lose vs u in finals hehe :3)

>tfw I'm not even listed as a favorite person
Why are you the worst husbando ever?

Lord Outrage UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN THREAD get over here ho.

Why do you run minimum speed necessary on every mon?

Reflect Waterceus: Yay or Nay?

Favorite Lord Outrage quote?

How many times have you been banned from PO?

Steeljackal, Pohjis, and myself walk into a bar where you are drinking. We collectively insult your mother. Who do you challenge to a best of 5 to the death and why?

How should I prepare for my upcoming seasonal matches against you? How will you react when you lose to Jolly PDon + Heatran?
yay, already made a stall with that.

All

more than 20

all 3 are haxors, idk who to choose D:

One does not simply prepare for me

Hi :3

What was your biggest outrage moment during a pokemon match?

How often do u evade your po ban?:p

Most underrated ubers pokemon in your opinion?
My biggest rage ever was against ZF in a roomtour final where he haxed me when I first came on smogon.

every month

Mega Metagross

Can we expect some crazy innovation coming out from you for Open?

Predictions on top 8 for this Ubers Open (aka which 7 will be with you waiting to lose vs u in finals hehe :3)

>tfw I'm not even listed as a favorite person
Why are you the worst husbando ever?

Lord Outrage UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN THREAD get over here ho.
Yes, I'm working on new concepts.

:3, L56, Astounded, Hack, Zf, Pohjis, Wreckdra, Crestfall.

You are one of my favorite persons tho D:

Just curious, what kinds of teams would you bring against an opponent who only uses standard HO?
Mega Sableye teams :v

Thug.

mags

Banned deucer.
I suspect ur a fake gangsta so this question will either prove u are or ur real as fuck. If u creepin on a nigga on da streetz wut u lookin for?

Reactions: hyw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)