Turtonator Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Turtonator
Fire/Dragon
Abilities: Shell Armor / Shell Armor / Shell Armor
HP: 60
Atk: 78
Def: 135
SpAtk: 91
SpDef: 85
Spe: 36

Level Up

L1 - Ember
L1 - Tackle
L5 - Smog
L9 - Protect
L13 - Incinerate
L17 - Flail
L21 - Endure
L25 - Iron Defense
L29 - Flamethrower
L33 - Body Slam
L37 - Shell Smash
L41 - Dragon Pulse
L45 - Shell Trap
L49 - Overheat
L53 - Explosion
TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM23 - Smack Down
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Flame Charge
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM50 - Overheat
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM61 - Will-O-Wisp
TM64 - Explosion
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM82 - Dragon Tail
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Wide Guard
Egg - Revenge
Egg - Head Smash
Egg - Fire Spin

Tutor

Draco Meteor

New Move
Shell Trap: The user sets a shell trap. If the user is hit with a physical move the trap will explode and inflict damage on the opposing Pokemon. 100% accuracy [Fire] 150 BP, Special.

Last edited:
This thing could be pretty interesting with Shell Trap and all. Got a pretty decent movepool, and has decent bulk for what it does. Plus 5 pretty darn useful resistances along with not being able to get crit? I could see this thing being a decent user of WoW. Rocks are gonna be a pain for this tho, which is gonna be a pretty big downfall for it.

Wow base 150 STAB with a good effect and almost unique typing. A pretty good pokemon to stop physical attacker and isnt that weak with decent special attack plus shell smash. It can also phaze to.

Shell trap said -3 priority on it iirc so if I read that right then it's actually not good. Someone who isnt on mobile double check!

Of course it

would be negative priority, it needs to be hit to actually activate. If it gets hit with anything physical, the move triggers and does damage.
Then you always see it coming and just swap to something special. Not much of a trap. If it were like a field hazard and stayed there until it exploded, even if you switched, it'd be a lot trickier to take care of.

Sounds like it's just "oh I guess I won't hit this high defense Pokemon with physical attacks then" after you see it use the move

Unless it's like counter? I figured it's like snatch where you prepare the move before you actually use it

Then you always see it coming and just swap to something special. Not much of a trap. If it were like a field hazard and stayed there until it exploded, even if you switched, it'd be a lot trickier to take care of.

Sounds like it's just "oh I guess I won't hit this high defense Pokemon with physical attacks then" after you see it use the move

Unless it's like counter? I figured it's like snatch where you prepare the move before you actually use it
The Only other move with -3 priority is Focus Punch. So It will likely trigger before the opponent attacks for the turn. If hit, then the attack goes off.

The Only other move with -3 priority is Focus Punch. So It will likely trigger before the opponent attacks for the turn. If hit, then the attack goes off.
Well let's hope it's like that then. Even so people will expect it and you'll rarely see it work, but when it does work it hits like a truck

Yeah, well... base 36 movespeed. With a +spd Nature it reaches 188 Movespeed. Not that impressive, even for UU.

Bummed out that there's no other ability for this thing, but it's decent at the very least. Shell Trap could have a niche if moves like Earthquake activate it.

It gets Shell Smash just as we thought so that's nice. Shell Trap seems like a Fire-typed Focus Punch except that you want to be hit.
It has very good Def, a decent defensive typing, passable, SpA and two powerful special STAB moves in Overheat and Draco Meteor.
Depending on where it ends up perhaps a hit-and-run specs set could work.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Well people are going to have to respect Shell Trap, we can all agree on that.
Oh - and it's whole 'explosive' image: EVERYTHINGS COMING UP EXPLODEY!!!
(Junkrat reference)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, those stats are what I expect of an explosion turtle. High defense, decent Special stats, and low Speed. Shell Armor isn't bad though you'd think it would get Aftermath.

If you just want to use its gimmick you'll only need four moves: Shell Trap, Taunt, and STABs. But let's take a closer look for the heck of it. While Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor is your go-to Dragon STAB, you have some options with Fire STAB. Little coverage, Special has Focus Blast, Charge Beam, and Flash Cannon; Physical has Earthquake, Payback/Brutal Swing, and Stone Edge (Egg Moves gives it Head Smash). Why mention its physical attacks when its Special Attack is higher? Well not only does Draco Meteor and Overheat lower Special Attack, being a turtle it gets the beloved Shell Smash so it could make use of physical moves. Other utility moves are Endure, Iron Defense, Explosion, and Will-O-Wisp.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Now that I think about it - Shell Trap / Taunt / Dragon Tail can punish stall wars with, say, Ferrothorn.
Also - I think Rocky Helmet or Certain Z-moves might work well on it's sets.
Example:

Turtonator @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Def / 8 SpA / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shell Trap
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Taunt

Other options i'm thinking of:
- Fire Spin
- Explosion
- Fire OR Dragon Z-move
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Nah. Statwise, it's more like a Special Carracosta.

Besides, there's no way it can be Gen 7's Torkoal. It doesn't have Drought :D
Eh, true. And no Rapid Spin (which WOULD have made sense on this thing...).

I can see this thing being really good in RU, maybe UU, but I think OU is out of its range. Fire / Dragon is really solid typing, letting it set up on a lot of Pokémon like Rotom-C, Magneton, and Escavalier. With max Speed it can outrun base 115s at +2, and it's not weak to any priority move apart from Accelerock.

How does Shell Trap actually work? Is it like Focus Punch, where it sets up the trap first and then if they attack physically it does damage? Also, does it affect the damage received?

I think a combination of Iron Defense, Taunt, Shell Trap, and maybe Rocky Helmet could work. It also gets Fire Spin if you wanna trap -- outside of Ghost-types there's not very many other exceptions where they can switch out. Probably a bit gimmicky, but it might work against the kiddos on Battle Spot :^)

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Turtonator doesnt seem that bad with a Shell Smash set, tho it will have to run Timid & max EVs to outspeed Base 110-120's.

Turtonator @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast

Shell Smash & Fire Blast should be self explanatory. I chose to run Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse because it hits like a nuke at +2 SpA & I dont mind losing that boost since you just go back to normal. Turtonator's last move will be Focus Blast as it gives the best coverage. While Flash Cannon hits Fairies, Fire Blast does slightly more damage to them. Focus Blast is the best way for Turtonator to deal with Rock types, though inaccurate. The EV spread, nature & Life Orb maximize Turtonator's speed & power.

This set looks pretty viable in UU & RU, as those +2 Dracos will make a dent on any non Fairy type while they get hit by Fire Blast like Steel types.

Assuming it works like Focus Punch (i.e. Sets the trap first, then waits for attack), does Shell Trap activate even if Turtonator faints? Because if so, that seems like it could be a decent threat to some physical sweepers. Could create an "eye for an eye" kind of scenario, where they might consider switching out their sweeper for something that can take the hit to dish out the final blow. If that's the case, there would be some really fun mind games to play with this.

I love this pokemon and I have been devising several strategies, I hope you like them:

Turtonator has a great typig and good stats for a wall, unfortunately the pokemon company hates the fire type and they have given a pretty bad movepool, although usable

Offensive Shell Smash

Turtonator @ White Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Grass / Charge Beam

This tricky set is used to make physical sweepers flee, using free turn to do shell smash, Despite its bad speed, in alola outspeed many pokemon with a single Shell Smash, investment in HP is to keep a little more bulky for those who do not gain in speed and striking very hard with draco meteor or overheat, if you prefer a more conservative set you can choose Fire Blast or Dragon Pulse avoiding to lose the Shell Smash boost, HP Grass for coverage against Water/Ground/Rock or Charge Beam if you want boof a little more the speed even can use Flash Cannon for Fairy
Sunny Assault Vest

Turtonator @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpD / 4 SpA / 252 HP
Calm Nature
- Shell Trap
- Solar Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon / Focus Blast

This set works perfect on sunny day, with the importance of climates in this meta the sun can be a great ally of turtonator, although it is only destined for sun teams, where another sets the sun, makes it laugh from water, boost Shell Trap and give one turn solar beam, Calm nature, investmen in SpD and assault vest makes turtonator a surprisingly solid pokemon as special wall makes it withstand virtually any special attack in the meta including some Draco Meteor, Shell Trap to reduce the Knock off temptation and the possibility that the enemy tries to knock it with physical attacks combined with Flash Cannon predicting Ninetales that can go out in change to introduce hail or with Focus Blast predicting Tyranitar, Draco Meteor is a desperate attack for everything else, including rain introducers pokemon and dragons.

Physical Defensive

Turtonator @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Defense / Bulk Up
- Shell Trap / Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp

This set is classic and there is not much to add, Set up move avoiding critics for their ability, shell trap for Steel/Grass/Ice Physical Sweepers who tickle you or Earthquake combined with bulk up to makes Fire/Rock type some damage, Dragon Tail to avoid set upers or predictig a change and WoW to disable something that could do it more damage, this is a good set for the late game, once removed special sweepers, simple but effective under the right conditions

So... anyone test if you can trigger shell trap by hitting turtonator with its partner's attack in a double battle?

I almost feel like pulling a Skarm and running a SpD set despite it's clear Def oriented stat spread might be a powerful option. Still looking more like a UU poke'. Too bad really. I wonder if Shell Trap works against fake out? Might be interesting in VGC if that's the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)