Gen 4 Trick Room Team

Hello all.
This team is made up of bulky Pokémon that utilize their low speed during the effects of Trick Room.
I have tried to cover the weaknesses of each Pokémon and tried to make them as bulky as possible without affecting their actual roles in the team. However my EV spreads are not based on any actual calculations, so I may have used some wrong spreads which I would be happy to correct if you guys point them out.
Note- All Pokémon have 0 Speed IVs(Duh).

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability - Levitate
Brave Nature
252 HP 152 Def 100 Sp Def 4 Atk
-- Trick Room
-- Stealth Rock
-- Hypnosis
-- Gyro Ball

Bronzong is the primary setter of Trick Room and Stealth Rock. With it's nice bulk it is more than capable of setting up SR and TR in two turns. Hypnosis has okayish accuracy and helps in shutting down an opposing threat if it hits. With a Brave nature and its pathetic Speed, Bronzong hits pretty well with Gyro Ball. I considered giving it a Macho Brace to boost the damage output but Mental Herb protects Bronzong from Taunters.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability - Thick Fat
Brave Nature
252 Atk 152 Hp 104 Def
-- Return
-- Curse
-- Rest
-- Sleep Talk

Snorlax is a great Pokémon in TR with its huge HP and decent Attack and Special Defence. I used its signature Rest-Talk set, which works great considering its superb bulk. Thick Fat is chosen over Immunity as Rest heals status as well. Snorlax hits hard with Return and Curse helps in buffing its Attack and underwhelming Defense.
I'm still considering the item to be used on this big guy. Leftovers heals it slowly and helps minimize damage taken on the turns when it's snoring, but maybe a better item could be used. Please advise me on this matter.

Slowbro @ - - -
Ability - Own Tempo
Quiet Nature
252 Sp Atk 154 HP 104 Sp Def
-- Trick Room
-- Calm Mind
-- Surf
-- Psychic

The second Trick Room setter, Slowbro is a hard hitter after a Calm Mind boost. It's Defence is already great, so I put the EVs into its lesser Sp Def, which is further buffed by Calm Mind. STAB Surf and Psychic hit hard and gain some ko's.
I'm not sure about its item yet. I use a Sitrus Berry currently, but again I need advice on this matter.

Spiritomb @ Sitrus Berry
Ability - Pressure
Relaxed Nature
252 HP 152 Def 100 Sp Def 4 Atk
-- Sucker Punch
-- Will-O-Wisp
-- Pain Split
-- Pursuit

Spirtomb switches into Fighting types who try to take down Snorlax and Registeel. Will-O-Wisp shuts down physical sweepers. Psychic types and burned Pokémon who try to switch out are hit by Pursuit. Sucker Punch has priority and is used against Special sweepers who do not fear a Will-O-Wisp. Finally, Pain Split helps Spiritomb in recovering its lost HP.
Spirotomb is a necessary Pokémon to check Fighting types who would otherwise take the team down with their STAB fighting moves and coverage in the form of Ice Punch.
I was going to use Dusknoir in place of Spiritomb earlier, since it has better Defences and a usable Attack stat as well, but Spiritomb's Ghost/Dark typing is superb, with no weaknesses and 3 immunities, so I went with it. Also, Dusknoir doesn't have Sucker Punch.

Registeel @ Choice Band
Ability - Clear Body
Brave Nature
152 Def 152 Sp Def 100 Atk 104 HP
-- Fling
-- Explosion
-- Hammer Arm
-- Toxic

I use Choice Band Registeel for an almost guaranteed KO in a tough spot. Registeel also has its utility in spreading Toxic and flinging a Choice Band onto a special sweeper, hence shutting them down. If it sticks around, it can use Hammer Arm on Pokémon weak to Fighting type moves, but I can probably use a better move on this slot. So help me guys!

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability - Leaf Guard
Brave Nature
252 Atk 100 Hp 156 Sp Def
-- Leaf Storm
-- Earthquake
-- Leech Seed
-- Rock Slide

Tangrowth is not a very commonly seen Pokémon but on this Trick Room team, it works pretty efficiently. It has decent stats to be a mixed sweeper, and since it's Special Attack is higher, I put the EVs into Attack and gave it a more physical moveset. Leaf Storm hits really hard, and the drop in Sp Atk is remedied by the physical Earthquake and Rock Slide, which provide great power and coverage, and can flinch Pokémon as well. Leech Seed minimizes Life Orb recoil damage and helps Tangrowth to survive longer.

Other Pokémon that I considered were Dusknoir as mentioned, Azumarill and Hariyama.
Spiritomb beats Dusknoir imo and while Azumarill is great, I used Slowbro in its place since a second setter of TR is highly needed. Hariyama.. I don't know why I replaced him or who I replaced him with, but he could also be a nice bulky sweeper with access to phazing.
Soo that's my team. It would be a great help if you guys could suggest items for Slowbro and Spiritomb, and of course if you could point out flaws in this team, or suggest another Pokémon that could utilize TR better.
Anyhoo, thanks for reading and do rate!

Last edited:
I'm not even a gen 4 player, but setup sweepers and trick room do not mix. TR is already available for a short amount of time, you don't want to be spending those turns boosting rather than attacking. Rather than using setup sweepers go for bulky hit and run attackers. Tangrowth is following that idea more than the rest of the team, but I question whether it's the best choice.

Just generally your team doesn't seem to have much synergy, especially on offense. How are you breaking Skarmory? How about SkarmBliss? That's just off the top of my head, there are probably heaps of other cores that give issues. To create synergy you should probably look for a core, a group of 2/3 pokemon that can switch into the checks to the other members of the core and do something meaningful- for your team this means dealing damage and/or setting TR. For instance Bro is afraid of Grass/Electric/Ghost/Dark types, so you might decide Heatran is a good partner since it resists 3 out of those 4 and is still good at taking on Electrics. Heatran is also a very powerful attacker, with some tools to break walls as well (explosion, magma storm, taunt, etc)

What is the reasoning behind your EV spreads? Unless there are specific KO points you're targeting, randomly throwing 100 EVs into a stat is not the way to go since it often doesn't give optimal results. Generally I would go max HP + max ATK/SPA on TR attackers

In singles Lefties>Sitrus berry most of the time

I'm sorry, but that Registeel set is really really bad. Fling is bad, Toxic on a choice set is bad and there are better choices for a CBer anyway.

I'm not even a gen 4 player, but setup sweepers and trick room do not mix. TR is already available for a short amount of time, you don't want to be spending those turns boosting rather than attacking. Rather than using setup sweepers go for bulky hit and run attackers. Tangrowth is following that idea more than the rest of the team, but I question whether it's the best choice.

Just generally your team doesn't seem to have much synergy, especially on offense. How are you breaking Skarmory? How about SkarmBliss? That's just off the top of my head, there are probably heaps of other cores that give issues. To create synergy you should probably look for a core, a group of 2/3 pokemon that can switch into the checks to the other members of the core and do something meaningful- for your team this means dealing damage and/or setting TR. For instance Bro is afraid of Grass/Electric/Ghost/Dark types, so you might decide Heatran is a good partner since it resists 3 out of those 4 and is still good at taking on Electrics. Heatran is also a very powerful attacker, with some tools to break walls as well (explosion, magma storm, taunt, etc)

What is the reasoning behind your EV spreads? Unless there are specific KO points you're targeting, randomly throwing 100 EVs into a stat is not the way to go since it often doesn't give optimal results. Generally I would go max HP + max ATK/SPA on TR attackers

In singles Lefties>Sitrus berry most of the time

I'm sorry, but that Registeel set is really really bad. Fling is bad, Toxic on a choice set is bad and there are better choices for a CBer anyway.
Ugh.
Sorry but I'm a real newbie.
I'll probably introduce Heatran over Registeel..
And that CM will waste turns of TR.. I totally forgot that. Tysm.
As for my EVs.. I'm terrible at those.. I guess I'll follow your advice and go for max HP and Atk/Sp Atk.
And since you mentioned hit and run attackers, do these replacements sound better?
Breloom--Tangrowth
Machamp--Spiritomb
Heatran--Registeel
Also since setup is a waste, maybe I will be better off with Azumarill instead of Slowbro.?
Really, thank you for pointing out how bad this team really is,otherwise I would've been pwned by my friends.

Hey no dramas, sorry if I came across as harsh.

If you're keeping monoLax on the team you'll need a Pursuit trapper to clear out ghosts, otherwise you do literally nothing against them. But personally I wouldn't go with monoLax, it just requires to much support to be effective. Lax does work well on this kind of team tho, just maybe with a more aggressive set.

All of the improvements you suggested are exactly that; improvements, but I'm not sure they're the best options available. Specifically, by running both Champ and Breloom I think you run into issues with general fighting checks- flying and psychic types being the main offenders. CBTar is something that springs to mind as an option- it provides Pursuit, covers the two aforementioned types (mostly, things like Gliscor are still annoying) and benefits from TR while hitting really hard. However definitely consider other options as well here, as I'm far from an elite player, so there's probably heaps of things I'm overlooking.

As for Azu>Bro, I actually disagree, since you need multiple TR users for TR to function effectively. 2 is a minimum, you may even consider 3 if you can fit it in

Hey no dramas, sorry if I came across as harsh.

If you're keeping monoLax on the team you'll need a Pursuit trapper to clear out ghosts, otherwise you do literally nothing against them. But personally I wouldn't go with monoLax, it just requires to much support to be effective. Lax does work well on this kind of team tho, just maybe with a more aggressive set.

All of the improvements you suggested are exactly that; improvements, but I'm not sure they're the best options available. Specifically, by running both Champ and Breloom I think you run into issues with general fighting checks- flying and psychic types being the main offenders. CBTar is something that springs to mind as an option- it provides Pursuit, covers the two aforementioned types (mostly, things like Gliscor are still annoying) and benefits from TR while hitting really hard. However definitely consider other options as well here, as I'm far from an elite player, so there's probably heaps of things I'm overlooking.

As for Azu>Bro, I actually disagree, since you need multiple TR users for TR to function effectively. 2 is a minimum, you may even consider 3 if you can fit it in
I'm sorry if I was a little dramatic. I really appreciate your help in pointing out the flaws in this team. I didn't mean to sound like a whiner.
I'll change snorlax to return/crunch/eq/superpower
Heatran and Bronzong are there, and I'm thinking of Cresselia as the 2nd TR user. And instead of machamp/breloom i could go for scizor.
So-
Bronzong's weakness-Fire Checked by Heatran
Scizor's weakness Fire again checked by Heatran
Cresselia's weakness Dark checked by Scizor
Pursuit Trapper Ttar - Common Weaknesses Fighting and Ground
Heatran weakness-Ground
Lax's weakness - Fighting
To cover the last three weaknesses I could go for Weezing, who can also be an Exploder.
Weezing's psychic weakness is again checked by Scizor
So on paper I've covered the weaknesses but do you think I'm being too reliant on Heatran and weezing?

Last edited:
Hmm yeah I'm inclined to think you're right in that you're too reliant on them. The issue with relying on Heatran to check Fire types is that the top choices are Infernape (Fighting) and other Heatran (commonly run Earth Power). Lax does cover the latter problem, but is no good against Ape. As for Weezing, I'm just not sure it's all that good in gen 4. It seems to me that the resistances you want out of it are easily obtained with other pokemon. For instance Flying types resist both ground and fighting, you can also get similar results by using a two pokemon combo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)