ORAS Doubles OU Trick Room Team. 13-0 So Far.

Hi guys as you know from the title this is my Trick Room team for Smogon Doubles and I have yet to be defeated! This was my first try at a trick room double team and so far its going good, although I can feel it getting harder as I ladder on Smogon. Through my attempts I've been trying to finesse and tweak my team so I can ladder higher. I hope you can help me! (All rights to this team are reserved by me)*Cheeky*

So here we go...

I started with my Trick Room setters. because double battles are very fast paced I only wanted two which can last in a battle. Dusclops and Reuniclus seemed to fit nicely. Both also learn helping hand which can help a lot and both can recover health. This pair is also good because while Dusclops act as a wall, support Pokémon Reuniclus had some physical presence and can help fight too.

Next I started to add my Pokémon. The shining star of my team is Rampardos. With sublime power and access to an item it can wreck entire teams with ease. I also added Crawdaunt at this point because together they have pretty good coverage and can do so much damage to a team. I decided to go for pure power with this team and it seems to be working.

Continuing with the theme I wanted to add Druddigon to deal with dragons. I find that it fits really well and can clean up pretty well once they've done their damage. It also adds some bulk to my glass cannons which I find quite useful.

I had trouble with my last slot and changed it from Mega Heracross to Mega Ampharos but finally decided on the beauty that is Mega Mawile. This amazing Pokémon is surprisingly not banned in Doubles to I thought I'd utilise it's power. Its so amazing in trick room and OHKO's almost everything with its STABs.

In depth...

Dusclops @ Eviolite

Ability - Pressure

Nature - Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)

IVS - 31/x/31/x/31/0

Evs - 252 HP, 68 Def, 188 SpDef

Move set;

- Trick Room

- Pain Split

- Will-O-Wisp

- Helping Hand

Dusclops doesn't deserve the bad press it has received, with eviolite it is hard to even 3HKO. I send this out first usually with Crawdaunt and straight away set up Trick Room. Its EVs and nature means it has max HP and even defences which makes it able to wall all attacks. Pain Split is its recovery option, with its naturally low HP it regains a lot of HP when used to increase its longevity. Will-O-Wisp is used for chip damage and to hinder physical attackers. Helping hand is a gift from the heavens. When combined with the power of my other Pokémon it can OHKO a potentially deadly Pokémon. I usually use it to help my attacking Pokémon over using it to help itself as I have another Trick Roomer and I need my attacking Pokémon more. Dusclops does suffer greatly from taunters so I have to be weary of potential threats as my entire strategy rests on Trick Room.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers

Ability - Magic Guard

Nature - Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)

IVs - 31/x/31/31/31/0

Evs - 252 HP, 124 Def, 4 SpAtt, 128 SpDef

Move Set;

- Trick Room

- Recover

- Helping Hand

- Psychic

Reuniclus is my second and last Trick Room setter. I usually send it out right after Dusclops is down to ensure I don't go long without trick room protecting my team. Its defences are quite solid but it can take considerable damage on the turn it sets up Trick Room and is unprotected, it usually survives the turn and comes back with a quick recover. Helping Hand is pretty self explanatory and helps ruin opposing teams bulky Pokémon. I decided to not make Reuniclus taunt bait and make use of its pretty good power with a STAB that has put me out of a tricky situation more often than not. Magic Guard helps me more than Regenerator because I have never switched it out so its only natural I use this ability.

Rampardos @ Life Orb

Ability - Sheer Force

Nature - Brave (+Atk, -Spd)

IVs - 31/31/31/x/31/0

Evs - 252 Atk, 88 Def, 168 SpDef

Move Set;

- Rock Slide

- Iron Head

- Zen Headbutt

- Protect

Rampardos is my shining star. He makes my team perfect. With a massing base 165 Attack, boosted by its nature, max EVs and life orb boost makes it an AMAZING asset to my team. I've put EVs into its defences instead of its HP to give it a better boost and a bigger increase in bulk so it can withstand more hits. Rock Slide is boosted by Reckless and damages both foes often OHKOing them with a helping hand boost. Iron head and Zen Headbutt are good coverage moves also boosted by Reckless to pick off individual foes. Protect helps it survive a turn it takes to set up Trick Room to continue to sweep. It is by far my favourite Pokémon in this team.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb

Ability - Adaptability

IVs - 31/31/31/x/31/0

EVs - 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef

Move Set;

- Crabhammer

- Knock Off

- Protect

- Swords Dance

Crawdaunt is an amazing lead. It starts with protect to help it survive a hit and picks off Pokémon after Pokémon until it faints. Maximum attack helps it do more damage and KO more Pokémon before it gets struck. EVs into HP help it survive hopefully one attack but due to its fragility it usually can only take two neutral hits. Crabhammer and Knock Off are Adaptability boosted STABs, which are a blessing. Swords Dance helps it recover after an Intimidate *If it survives*. Crawdaunt is a very valuable member of my team as it can take ghosts who try to hurt my Trick Room Setters. It also hits hard and gives my an advantage of taking a few Pokémon before it too faints.

Druddigon @ Leftovers

Ability - Sheer Force

IVs - 31/31/31/x/31/0

EVs - 252 HP, 252 Atk

Move Set;

- Dragon Claw

- Gunk Shot

- Fire Punch

- Protect

Druddigon fist perfectly into this team. It is naturally bulky so can function outside of Trick Room and take hits my other Pokémon cant. With Reckless it can also hit hard so it's only natural for my team. It fits great as it kills dragons, fairies, steels, and grasses that my other Pokémon can't, hard. I use it to clean up late game and it does a pretty good job, it picks off the most threatening one first then leaves the weaker ones for last so they don't do as much damage. Protect is a must for setting trick room and avoiding damage that could hurt it bad.

->

Mawile -> Mega-Mawile @ Mawile

Ability - Hyper Cutter -> Huge Power

IVs - 31/31/31/x/31/0

EVs - 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef

Move Set;

- Play Rough

- Iron Head

- Brick Break

- Protect

My amazing Maile. I Don't believe I have to explain why it is so amazing so I'll go straight to it. Max attack makes it almost unstoppable and can hurt a lot if caught. Its ability is mainly to stop it from being Intimidated so it can keep its max attack. It also gives it a niche over other Mawile in trick room making it able to hit first and just as hard. Play Rough and Iron Head are pretty mandatory and I chose Brick Break over Sucker Punch because it has better coverage and it doesn't need priority under Trick Room. Again Protect helps it survive a set up Trick Room. Mawile has only been recently added but has made a good impression.

Additional Notes...

A setter usually stays on the field throughout the whole match meaning only one sweeper is on at the time. I presume you call know why my Pokémon have speed lowering natures and 0 in IVs. Also even though I have all physical attackers it doesn't hinder my not having a special attacker.

Amoonguss -
Rage Powder, Spore hinders my team greatly so I always hit is as hard as I can when it comes in. It is also annoyingly slow so it can sometimes out-speed my Sweepers and Spore rendering my team useless...

Belly Drum Azumarill -
x4 Atk with priority sucks. I usually burn it and take it out with a Gunk Shot from Druddigon but it can hurt my team a lot.

Taunters -
Self explanatory, it ruins my strategy so I aim all my fire power at it till I can Trick Room once more!!!

Thanks for reading. I hope you can help

Edit: gone up to 15 wins, 0 losses
Here's some replays - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com.doublesou-246485921
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com.doublesou-246798304

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Oh my, this'll be a long rate. Congrats on 13-0 though, I could never hope to get a streak that long.

Firstly, the reason dusclops has such a bad reputation is it does absolutely nothing offensively, and is outclassed by cresselia in everything (don't you dare say you don't use legends, mega maw is uber in singles) except will o wisp. Why care if you can last four turns, if that means the opponent can as well in front of it? Since it's still nice to have one psychic and one ghost setter, I'd say replace dusclops with cresselia, and reuniclus for chandelure.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Relaxed Nature
-Trick Room
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight

This cress actually has a reason to remain on the field, but you can still switch it out right after setting. If you set up a few calm minds, you win. Actually, that's not true amongst more experienced players, but it'll definitely net you a few wins on the ladder if you use it to that mindset.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spa / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Heat Wave
-Shadow Ball
-Protect

This chandy runs bulk and sash because stronger hits that will ohko a 252 hp version are fairly common. You can use this one offensively, and it can function outside of trick room fairly well, so it doesn't fear taunt too badly.

(I'll add more later)

Are you sure you meant reckless on rampardos, and not sheer force? Rock slide gets a boost from sheer force, not reckless. Come to think of it, reckless head smash would be hilarious, if only it got reckless. Anyway, a more efficient spread is 52 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 140 Spd. I didn't ev for anything in particular, so you can play around with the defenses. If you want, you can also take some evs out of attack, since they have a lower effect on 160 base rather than 50 base.

Crawdaunt may be a really fun wallbreaker, but azumarill outshines it in bulk, power, and a better setup move.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Protect

This is another one that functions well outside of tr, with bulk, power, and priority.

Druddigon just doesn't have the stats to do well in a tier where some ubers are allowed. I know this is the fourth replacement, but are you okay with replacing it with talonflame, just for the sake of a fastmode and tr aid? Also, it really helps out against amoonguss.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Quick Guard
-Protect

Use quick guard if you think the opponent is going to fake out or prankster taunt one of your setters. Of course, it also blocks normal priority attacks, too. Quick guard is spammable on its own, but consecutive uses do contribute toward protect's fail chance.

Mawile seems pretty okay, except sucker punch>brick break. I think there's a better spread, but I'll have to look for it.

Found it: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 40 Def / 36 Spd
It lives heatran heat wave, but I forget what it does on the physical side.

Edit: I'm not sure if you can read changes among the text, so I bolded them.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Druddigon doesn't even get reckless. At best that means you can't copy your team well and at worst you didn't test it at all, but I highly recommend you change those large annoying pokemon descriptions to showdown importable. Not sure if you know how, but you basically go to the team, go to the import/export area and can copy the sets far easier.

Druddigon doesn't even get reckless. At best that means you can't copy your team well and at worst you didn't test it at all, but I highly recommend you change those large annoying pokemon descriptions to showdown importable. Not sure if you know how, but you basically go to the team, go to the import/export area and can copy the sets far easier.
What it actually means is that it was midnight and I was typing an email to my phone so I could put it on here because I can't post from my laptop and I accidently put the wrong ability.
I can't change those 'large annoying pokemon descriptions' to showdown importable because I can't access showdown on my phone properly and I can post from my laptop. Although I am going to try from my phone again.
I hope this help u actually RTM :)

Oh my, this'll be a long rate. Congrats on 13-0 though, I could never hope to get a streak that long.

Firstly, the reason dusclops has such a bad reputation is it does absolutely nothing offensively, and is outclassed by cresselia in everything (don't you dare say you don't use legends, mega maw is uber in singles) except will o wisp. Why care if you can last four turns, if that means the opponent can as well in front of it? Since it's still nice to have one psychic and one ghost setter, I'd say replace dusclops with cresselia, and reuniclus for chandelure.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Relaxed Nature
-Trick Room
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight

This cress actually has a reason to remain on the field, but you can still switch it out right after setting. If you set up a few calm minds, you win. Actually, that's not true amongst more experienced players, but it'll definitely net you a few wins on the ladder if you use it to that mindset.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spa / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Heat Wave
-Shadow Ball
-Protect

This chandy runs bulk and sash because stronger hits that will ohko a 252 hp version are fairly common. You can use this one offensively, and it can function outside of trick room fairly well, so it doesn't fear taunt too badly.

(I'll add more later)

Are you sure you meant reckless on rampardos, and not sheer force? Rock slide gets a boost from sheer force, not reckless. Come to think of it, reckless head smash would be hilarious, if only it got reckless. Anyway, a more efficient spread is 52 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 140 Spd. I didn't ev for anything in particular, so you can play around with the defenses. If you want, you can also take some evs out of attack, since they have a lower effect on 160 base rather than 50 base.

Crawdaunt may be a really fun wallbreaker, but azumarill outshines it in bulk, power, and a better setup move.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Protect

This is another one that functions well outside of tr, with bulk, power, and priority.

Druddigon just doesn't have the stats to do well in a tier where some ubers are allowed. I know this is the fourth replacement, but are you okay with replacing it with talonflame, just for the sake of a fastmode and tr aid? Also, it really helps out against amoonguss.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Quick Guard
-Protect

Use quick guard if you think the opponent is going to fake out or prankster taunt one of your setters. Of course, it also blocks normal priority attacks, too. Quick guard is spammable on its own, but consecutive uses do contribute toward protect's fail chance.

Mawile seems pretty okay, except sucker punch>brick break. I think there's a better spread, but I'll have to look for it.

Found it: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 40 Def / 36 Spd
It lives heatran heat wave, but I forget what it does on the physical side.
Thanks a lot! I've changed Reuniclus for Cresselia and going to change Crawdaunt for Azumarill. Also gonna try some others. Will change the pokemon on my thread after I've tried ur suggestions! Thanks!

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
ahem I've been self picked by myself to examine this TR team and I will rate thoroughly.

Dusclops is not a very good Trick Room setter. Despite it's eviolite bonus, it very rarely will end up doing anything of worth to higher level players due to it being massive taunt bait and massive knock off bait. Dusclops will not improve your team so I recommend replacing it with Cresselia which is arguably bulkier.

Reuniclus is fine if you struggle with amoongus, but you did not keep this in mind when building it and thus you added magic guard. Add Overcoat instead to block spore and replace the leftovers with a mental herb/Life Orb/Focus Sash. Leftovers on reuniclus honestly are terrible bc it's not going to live much anyways from things like aegislash and kangaskhan.

RLY? u didn't put head smash on rampardos? Rampardos may have a lot of Attack but it has litterally no defenses. Rock slide is decent with sheer force but it dose not have a flinch rate which many "players <:^)" use it for. I reccomend Rhyperior over Rampardos for its increase Defesense and ability to redirect electric attacks with lightning rod or resist super effective moves with solid rock and its ground typing to beat Heatran which would destroy this team had Crawduant died.

Druddigon has no STAB moves for Sheer Force m8. I tried it like back on th VGC 2013 (not smogon dubs related ladder and it wasn't much help. Use Dragalge instead...pls

Now I don't have much of an issue with Crawduant, I think it's fine despite being a little frail. However, your team lack any form of redirection and as a result, your chances of setting up trick room drop 80% in high level play. You must replace Crawdaunt or another pokemon with Scrafty(fake out), Amoongus(rage powder) or Hitmontop(fake out). Unless you are semi room in which u would have a fast pokemon.

Mawile is a decent TR mega. The downside it has is being weak Heatran however a Rhyperior or Crawdaunt (ur using)/Azumarill could solve that. Mawile does protect your team from sylveon though so that's pretty swell. Although I wouldn't use Brick break bc that's probably not going to OHKO Heatran, also you shouldn't be too worried about screens. Replace brick break with sucker punch like srsly, although coverage for heatran may seem nice, the priority of sucker punch is so much better because it allows you to operate out of Trick Room.

Wellllll hope you found this advice from the local Trick Room master helpful <:^]. Good Luck on future battles and I hope you can improve
n_n.

now I vanish "poof"

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Was my suggestion of talonflame too fast for the master? Fangame has vowed to only use 100% full trick room, so I think he's a tad biased against the more semiroom aspects :>

Also, I think we managed to replace every mon on his team except mawile. Might as well swap maw for kang and call it semi (BLASPHEMY!)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)