LC Treecko

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Treecko has a unique niche on offensive teams thanks to its Unburden ability. This allows Treecko to set up Swords Dance, usually take a hit, and consume Berry Juice afterward, thus doubling its Speed and becoming a threatening late-game sweeper. Alongside Treecko's fantastic ability and access to Swords Dance are plenty of useful coverage options, including Acrobatics, Drain Punch, and Rock Slide. Unfortunately, Treecko is extremely frail with a poor defensive typing and is thus vulnerable to super effective attacks, powerful offensive Pokemon, and strong priority. Treecko is also extremely weak before a Swords Dance boost, meaning that it is quite reliant on the move to do any notable damage. It can still struggle to break past some bulky threats after a boost, such as Spritzee, Vullaby, Mareanie, and Foongus, as it isn't extremely powerful even after using Swords Dance. Unburden can also be a rather situational ability in that it only activates once, meaning that upon setting up, Treecko will put itself in an all-or-nothing situation. Treecko also suffers from a slight case of four-moveslot syndrome, as its choice of coverage will either prevent it from hurting Fire- and Poison-types if it uses Acrobatics or from hurting Grass- and Fighting-types if it uses Rock Slide. Lastly, the strenuous team support Treecko requires to sweep can cause the teams built around it to be matchup reliant.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Seed
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Acrobatics / Rock Slide
item: Berry Juice
ability: Unburden
nature: Adamant
evs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance is mandatory, as it boosts Treecko's otherwise mediocre Attack stat to threatening levels and allows it to break past most of the metagame with its attacks. Bullet Seed is Treecko's STAB move of choice, as LC's damage roll mechanics make it the most powerful option as long as it hits at least three times. also has use in that it can break past Sturdy, Focus Sash, and Substitute as well as defeat various Pokemon with the Weak Armor ability, such as Onix and Dwebble, though Treecko should be wary of hitting Vullaby with the move. Drain Punch gives Treecko a reliable way to break past the Steel-types that would otherwise wall it, 2HKOing Ferroseed and OHKOing Magnemite and Pawniard after a boost. Acrobatics becomes quite powerful once Treecko has boosted its Attack and consumed its Berry Juice and is useful for KOing Fighting-types such as Timburr, Croagunk, and Mienfoo. It also hits Bug-types such as Larvesta and Surskit and opposing Grass-types like Snivy and Pumpkaboo super effectively. Rock Slide is an option over Acrobatics, as it allows Treecko to OHKO Ponyta and Vullaby, which otherwise wall it, after a boost and Stealth Rock damage. It also hits Bug- and other Flying-types super effectively, though it does leave Treecko quite vulnerable to Croagunk and other Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

Berry Juice alongside Unburden secures Treecko's niche, as upon restoring its health with Berry Juice, Unburden will double Treecko's Speed and turn it into a threatening late-game sweeper. 116 EVs invested in HP alongside 156 Defense EVs allow Treecko to avoid OHKOs from some foes' super effective coverage attacks, such as Timburr's Ice Punch and Chinchou's Ice Beam, and trigger the consumption of Berry Juice. It can also help Treecko take some priority attacks after having set up. 36 EVs are invested in Speed to allow Treecko to hit 14 Speed. This allows Treecko it to outpace the entire unboosted metagame after Unburden activates, as well as some of the tier's fastest Choice Scarf users, such as Gastly and Doduo. 156 of the remaining EVs are invested in Attack with an Adamant nature to give Treecko as much of an offensive presence as possible and to allow it to break through the majority of the metagame after a Swords Dance boost.

Usage Tips
========

Treecko functions best as a late-game cleaner after its checks, like Ponyta, Vullaby, and Alolan Grimer, have been either removed or weakened. Before said checks are taken care of, it is important that Treecko doesn't take any chip damage so as not to activate Unburden too early. It should also refrain from getting hit with Knock Off in order to prevent the early activation of Unburden. Setting up is a rather tricky task for Treecko, as it should often try doing so against a foe whose coverage can whittle it into range of Berry Juice consumption but won't OHKO it. Chinchou, Drilbur, and Surskit all carry super effective coverage that won't flat-out OHKO Treecko, which makes these threats decent setup targets. U-turn users like Mienfoo and Vullaby can also bring Treecko into range of Berry Juice consumption, though some, such as Larvesta and Rufflet, can OHKO Treecko it with the move. Another setup strategy that is much less risky is using Swords Dance against foes with generally weak attacks, like Spritzee and Onix. Treecko will often be relying on Memento support, meaning that some Pokemon that carry super effective STAB attacks can also make decent setup targets with lowered offenses. Examples include Foongus, Croagunk, and Larvesta.

Team Options
========

Although it is indeed threatening once boosted, Treecko does require a lot of support to successfully sweep. Diglett is easily Treecko's best possible partner, as it is capable of supporting it in many different ways. It removes both Poison-types and Ponyta and most importantly can support Treecko with Memento, thus giving it a reliable setup opportunity. If Diglett isn't wanted or needed, Memento support is still highly recommended for Treecko, as it gives it setup opportunities against the likes of Foongus and Croagunk. Alolan Grimer and Cottonee can also provide Treecko with Memento support, while Pancham can also work as a Parting Shot pivot. Fire-type checks are highly recommended as teammates, as they can easily take care of Ponyta to give Treecko an easier time sweeping. Staryu, Mudbray, and Chinchou all work as reliable Pokemon for this role. Poison-type checks are also a necessity, as Treecko is unable to dent most Poison-types. Drilbur, Mudbray, and Abra can all function here. Answers to Flying-types, such as Onix, Elekid, and Magnemite, all make useful partners, as they can dispose of the likes of Archen and Doduo to help Treecko set up without fear of switch-ins to the aforementioned threats. Knock Off support is quite helpful as well, as the removal of bulkier foes' Eviolites gives Treecko an easier time cleaning up late-game. Alolan Grimer is a particularly good user of Knock Off in terms of supporting Treecko, as it can also dent one of Treecko's biggest annoyances in Spritzee with Poison Jab. Other examples of Pokemon capable of providing Knock Off support include Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Croagunk. Entry hazard support from the likes of Onix, Dwebble, and Omanyte allows Treecko to OHKO Ponyta with a boosted Rock Slide, as well as have an easier time cleaning up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Endure is an option for surviving extremely powerful hits and triggering Unburden. However, Treecko will lose valuable coverage in running the move and as a result will require even more support, so this isn't a preferable option. Substitute is another option for being able to set up more reliably, though this isn't preferred for reasons similar to Endure. Seed Bomb may seem like a better option than Bullet Seed at first, but is actually weaker unless Bullet Seed only hits twice, due to LC's rather odd damage roll mechanics. A special attacking set is an option, as Treecko's Special Attack stat is higher than its Attack. However, Treecko's lack of boosting moves and general lack of good coverage prevents such a set from being at all effective. Treecko can forego its defensive investment and use a Focus Sash to trigger Unburden, though this is even more situational than using Berry Juice, as Treecko will be extremely vulnerable to priority and require entry hazard removal from a teammate. Treecko will also be unable to set up against passive Pokemon, as it won't be whittled down to Focus Sash against most. Lastly, Iron Tail can be used to hit Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively, but it otherwise only provides rather redundant coverage alongside Bullet Seed and Drain Punch.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ponyta**: Ponyta's bulk allows it to survive a boosted Rock Slide from Treecko and in return KO it with super effective STAB attacks. Unless their offenses have been lowered by Memento, other Fire-types such as Larvesta and Torchic can also be quite threatening to Treecko before Unburden has been activated.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Treecko's STAB attacks and Drain Punch, and most can also take a boosted Acrobatics as well. Examples include Alolan Grimer, Mareanie, Foongus, and Croagunk, though the latter two must be wary of Acrobatics.

**Spritzee and Snubbull**: Spritzee's good bulk allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Treecko's boosted Bullet Seed, while in return it can use Wish to stall out Treecko and use STAB Moonblast to dent it. Snubbull can lower Treecko's Attack with Intimidate and proceed to threaten it with either Play Rough or Thunder Wave.

**Flying-types**: Unless Treecko is using Rock Slide, it has no way of hitting Vullaby super effectively, while Vullaby can threaten to OHKO it with super effective STAB attacks. It can also come in on Bullet Seed if it has Weak Armor and proceed to revenge kill Treecko. Rufflet and Doduo are also quite troublesome, though they must be wary of Treecko's boosted Acrobatics if Unburden has activated.

**Status**: Status is quite troubling to Treecko, as burns from the likes of Pumpkaboo-XL and Larvesta will halve its Attack, while its Speed will be quite mediocre if it is hit by paralysis.

**Strong Priority**: Treecko's extreme frailty leaves it with a vulnerability to most forms of priority. Snover's Ice Shard is particularly troublesome, as Treecko will take super effective damage from it, though Zigzagoon's Extreme Speed, Timburr's Mach Punch, and Pawniard's Sucker Punch are all also quite threatening.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
is that the best EV spread? last gen i used 116 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def with a Jolly Nature, occasionally adamant, and it was notably weak. however now you leave treecko with even less attack and i can't think of anything that the extra HP point would help with, other than making treecko sit at 53% occasionally. plus you lose a point in defense which leads me to suspect that it is unoptimal though maybe you know something i don't.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention in your first line that the doubles speed and SD boost allow Treecko to sweep late-game
  • Mention that Treecko is still relatively weak even after a Swords Dance, failing to break through the bulkiest Pokemon in the metagame like Spritzee, Vullaby, Foongus, and Mareanie without an appropriate coverage move, which will often not even OHKO, thus forcing Treecko to take a hit, which it can't really do because of its non-existent defenses.
  • Treecko is not just vulnerable to super effective moves and strong priority; it's also very vulnerable to powerful attackers like LO Abra and Mienfoo
  • Mention that Treecko is only able to set up once during a match (because of the nature of Unburden), meaning that it always puts itself in an all or nothing situation
  • Mention that Treecko is also very reliant on an Unburden boost to sweep, meaning that it can struggle if an opponent decides to switch into it instead of trying to hurt it on the turn it sets up.
  • Remove the last bullet point; it's useless fluff
[SET]

• The logic here is as follows: Acrobatics and Rock Slide offer very, very different coverage (it's not like you slash Stone Edge and Rock Slide there or something). Since these two are slashed, Treeck doesn't absolutely need either of them (otherwise they wouldn't be slashed). However, Drain Punch isn't slashed, meaning Treecko does absolutely need it, thus placing it above Acro / RS.
  • 116 Def EVs don't make sense. The benchmarks for Treecko's Defense are 76 EVs and 156, and since you have enough EVs left to go to 156, I assume it was a typo. Make sure to change it though
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention examples of Weak Armor mons that get defeated thanks to Bullet Seed's multiple hits (Dwebble, ...)
  • Mention examples of Grass-types hit by Acrobatics
  • Mention Vullaby in your Rock Slide line, it is arguably its most important target (Treecko is never breaking through an Eviolite Vullaby set without it. Ever.)
Set Details
========
  • Mention the Speed EVs before the Attack EVs, as it currently does not make sense that you don't max out Attack even though you say 'as much of an offensive presence as possible'. This is explained a sentence later (you need the Speed EVs), but it's clearer if you start with it.
  • I assume you decided to mention the alternate spread together wth Fiend but I see no reason to mention it when it's literally the exact same.
Usage Tips
========
  • Treecko should NEVER try to 'function as an early-game hole puncher'. It is pitifully weak and slow before an SD, and if it attempts to set up one it's taking a hit, thus popping its Unburden, making it so that it can no longer sweep in the late game.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Also mention that Focus Sash is not even close to as reliable as BJ, since it's ruined by hazards and means Treecko won't get its Unburden boost if it sets up on a weak/passive mon that can't OHKO it like Spritzee.

QC 1/3, nice work

Now go check Totodile

amcheck
Overview
-Add that it is very easy for opponents to play around Unburden

Set
good

Moves
-I think mandatory is a poor choice of words, as Sceptile can still technically function as a sweeper without it due to Unburden, instead just say that it's "very important"
-Mention the Mandibuzz can take advantage of Bullet Seed if running Weak Armor and continue to revenge kill it
-Mention before loss of item, Acrobatics isn't very powerful and can't really hit switchins

Set Details
good

Usage Tips
-Mention U-turn users commonly falling short of KO's and inadvertently letting Treeko sweep (i.e. Mienshao, Vullaby, etc.) but mention that certain ones (Volcarona, Rufflet, etc.) can still OHKO it
-Why mention Rapidash specifically after already saying "remove checks" if it needs mentioning so much, just add "specifically/most importantly Rapidash" or something
-Same with the next 3 bullets, all in all, remove the 1st bullet, or add specifics to it and remove the last 3

Team Options
-Add Pangoro as a Parting Shot user
-Since Archeops dislikes a burn, I'd recommend using a Special Attacker such as Omastar

Other Options
fine

Checks and Counters
-First sentence has no transition to the last clause
-"while most can also take a boosted Acrobatics as well." the "would" should be an "and" or "additionally" or something similar
-Did you make an entire section labeled "Strong Priority" and continue to not mention Sucker Punch ?_? Mention it over Meowth probably.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck
Overview
-Add that it is very easy for opponents to play around Unburden

Set
good

Moves
-I think mandatory is a poor choice of words, as Sceptile can still technically function as a sweeper without it due to Unburden, instead just say that it's "very important"
-Mention the Mandibuzz can take advantage of Bullet Seed if running Weak Armor and continue to revenge kill it
-Mention before loss of item, Acrobatics isn't very powerful and can't really hit switchins

Set Details
good

Usage Tips
-Mention U-turn users commonly falling short of KO's and inadvertently letting Treeko sweep (i.e. Mienshao, Vullaby, etc.) but mention that certain ones (Volcarona, Rufflet, etc.) can still OHKO it
-Why mention Rapidash specifically after already saying "remove checks" if it needs mentioning so much, just add "specifically/most importantly Rapidash" or something
-Same with the next 3 bullets, all in all, remove the 1st bullet, or add specifics to it and remove the last 3

Team Options
-Add Pangoro as a Parting Shot user
-Since Archeops dislikes a burn, I'd recommend using a Special Attacker such as Omastar

Other Options
fine

Checks and Counters
-First sentence has no transition to the last clause
-"while most can also take a boosted Acrobatics as well." the "would" should be an "and" or "additionally" or something similar
-Did you make an entire section labeled "Strong Priority" and continue to not mention Sucker Punch ?_? Mention it over Meowth probably.
I can't tell if you're using the fully evolved Pokemon names on purpose or not but you need to stop doing so if you want to improve your amchecks

Also if I see a single fully evolved Pokemon's name in the write up I'll flip my lid

My changes and additions to Drew's check are as follows:
  • Swords Dance is mandatory. This is a Swords Dance sweeper set, and I'd use Purrloin if I didn't want SD.
  • In Set Details, when you talk about Choice Scarf users, change the word "even" to "some of", as the two examples you gave are not the fastest Scarfers in the tier (Diglett and Elekid) but are among the fastest.
  • In Usage Tips, I'm not sure what you mean when you say Diglett and Scraggy carry super effective coverage against Treecko, as bar the rare Sludge Bomb Diglett this is not true; Scraggy opts for ZHB or a Steel-type attack.
  • For Fire-type checks in Team Options, mention Staryu over Archen and instead of Drew's suggestion of Omanyte.
  • For sure mention a strong Sucker Punch from Pawniard over niche picks like Meowth in Checks and Counters, but don't touch Drew's other two suggestions. Leave those to GP to fix the way they want to do so.
Implement all of my stuff and all the stuff from Andrew that I didn't mention or tell you not to do and this is good for a write-up

QC 2/3

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Overview
  • I think you are generally overstating how good Treecko is, especially with "Treecko is able to often function as a devastating sweeper and cleaner in the late-game." I'd change this to something that makes it more clear that Treecko requires substantial support (eg: "with substantial support, Treecko can function as a devastating sweeper and cleaner"), or else just remove "devastating" and make it something more understated
  • "It can still struggle to break past even the bulkiest of threats after a boost, such as Spritzee, Vullaby, Mareanie, and Foongus". This is kind of a GP thing but GPers who don't know LC might not catch it- the italicized section should be "bulky threats"
  • I would add that the substantial team support that Treecko requires makes teams centered around it tend to become matchup-based.

Set Details
  • When you talk about surviving attacks and activating Unburden, I'd specify that BJ is consumed
  • I'd mention that the defensive EVs help Treecko take priority after a boost also. No need for specific examples, just a general statement will do.

Usage Tips
  • I'd also mention that Treecko can come in on a weak attack when the foe can't KO it, get the BJ boost, and use Swords Dance as it forces the foe out. This is probably a better setup strategy generally given Treecko's weakness, and should be emphasized here
  • Talk about not letting Treecko get chipped before it's ready to clean
  • Especially mention that Treecko's item shouldn't get knocked off or activated before it can abuse Unburden
  • When you say in the first sentence that checks should be weakened, I'd specify that being hit by Knock Off would fall into this category

Team Options
  • I wouldn't mention rocks for Diglett- if you are running Dig alongside Treecko you need Memento and EQ, and running both Memento and SR seems kinda bad imo. If you disagree I'll let you make the decision here.

Other Options
  • I'd move substitute up in this because its the best OO for Treecko
  • Focus Sash isn't "arguably" more situational. It is.
  • If you leave Iron Tail here, remove it from the overview

Checks and Counters
Mention that if Vullaby comes in on Bullet seed it can revenge kill Treecko

Good work, sorry for the incredible wait time, 3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Treecko has a unique niche on offensive teams thanks to its Unburden ability. This allows Treecko to set up Swords Dance, usually take a hit, and consume Berry Juice afterward, thus doubling its Speed and turning Treecko into becoming a threatening late-game sweeper. Alongside Treecko's fantastic ability and access to Swords Dance are plenty of useful coverage options, including Acrobatics, Drain Punch, and Rock Slide. Because of these perks, Treecko is able to function as a sweeper and cleaner in the late-game. (repeated) Unfortunately, Treecko is extremely frail with a poor defensive typing, and is thus vulnerable to super effective attacks, powerful offensive Pokemon, and strong priority. Treecko is also extremely weak before a Swords Dance boost, meaning that it is quite reliant on the move to do any notable damage. It can still struggle to break past some bulky threats after a boost, such as Spritzee, Vullaby, Mareanie, and Foongus, as it isn't extremely powerful even after using Swords Dance. Unburden can also be a rather situational ability in that it only activates once, meaning that upon setting up, Treecko will put itself in an all-or-nothing (AH) situation. Treecko also suffers from a slight case of four-moveslot syndrome, as its choice of coverage will either prevent it from hurting Fire- and Poison-types if it uses Acrobatics or from hurting Grass- and Fighting-types if it uses Rock Slide. Lastly, the strenuous team support Treecko requires to sweep can cause the teams built around it to be matchup reliant.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance is mandatory, as it boosts Treecko's otherwise mediocre Attack stat to threatening levels (RC) and allows it to break past most of the metagame with its attacks. Bullet Seed is Treecko's STAB move of choice, as LC's damage roll mechanics make it the most powerful option as long as it hits at least three times. It also has use in that it can break past Sturdy, Focus Sash, and Substitute (RC) as well as defeat various Pokemon with the Weak Armor ability, such as Onix and Dwebble, though Treecko should be wary of hitting Vullaby with the move. Drain Punch gives Treecko a reliable way to break past the Steel-types that would otherwise wall it, 2HKOing Ferroseed and OHKOing Magnemite and Pawniard after a boost. Acrobatics becomes quite powerful once Treecko has boosted its Attack and consumed its Berry Juice (RC) and is useful for KOing Fighting-types such as Timburr, Croagunk, and Mienfoo. It also hits Bug-types such as Larvesta and Surskit and opposing Grass-types like Snivy and Pumpkaboo super effectively. Rock Slide is an option over Acrobatics, as it allows Treecko to hit Ponyta and Vullaby, which otherwise wall it, for OHKOs after a boost and Stealth Rock. It also hits Bug- and other Flying-types super effectively, though it does leave Treecko quite vulnerable to Croagunk and other Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

Berry Juice alongside Unburden secures Treecko's niche, as upon restoring its health with Berry Juice, Unburden will double Treecko's Speed and turn it into a threatening late-game sweeper. 116 EVs invested in HP alongside 156 Defense EVs allow Treecko to survive avoid OHKOs from some foes' super effective coverage attacks, such as Timburr's Ice Punch and Chinchou's Ice Beam, and trigger the consumption of Berry Juice. It can also help Treecko take some priority attacks after having set up. 36 EVs are invested in Speed to allow Treecko to hit 14 Speed. This allows Treecko to outpace the entire unboosted metagame after Unburden activates, as well as some of the tier's fastest Choice Scarf users, such as Gastly and Doduo. 156 of the remaining EVs are invested in Attack with an Adamant nature to give Treecko as much of an offensive presence as possible (RC) and to allow it to break through the majority of the metagame after a Swords Dance boost.

Usage Tips
========

Treecko functions best as a late-game cleaner, after its checks, like Ponyta, Vullaby, and Alolan Grimer, have been either removed or weakened. Before said checks are taken care of, it is important that Treecko isn't hit by doesn't take any chip damage so as not to activate Unburden too early. It should also refrain form from getting hit with Knock Off in order to prevent the early activation of Unburden. Setting up is a rather tricky task for Treecko, as it should often try setting up doing so against a foe that's whose coverage can whittle it into range of Berry Juice consumption (RC) but won't OHKO it. Chinchou, Drilbur, and Surskit all carry super effective coverage that won't flat-out (AH) OHKO Treecko, which makes these threats decent setup targets. U-turn users like Mienfoo and Vullaby can also bring Treecko into range of Berry Juice consumption, though some, such as Larvesta and Rufflet, can OHKO Treecko with the move. Another setup strategy that is much less risky is setting up against foes with generally weak attacks, like Spritzee and Onix. Treecko will often be relying on Memento support, meaning that some Pokemon that carry super effective STAB attacks can also make decent setup targets with lowered offenses. Examples include Foongus, Croagunk, and Larvesta.

Team Options
========

Although it is indeed threatening once boosted, Treecko does require a lot of support to successfully sweep. Diglett is easily Treecko's best possible partner, as it is capable of supporting it in many different ways. It removes both Poison-types and Ponyta and most importantly can support Treecko with Memento, thus giving it a reliable setup opportunity. If Diglett isn't wanted or needed, Memento support is still highly recommended for Treecko, as it gives it setup opportunities against the likes of Foongus (RC) and Croagunk, and more. Alolan Grimer and Cottonee can also provide Treecko with Memento support, while Pancham can also work as a Parting Shot pivot. Fire-type checks are highly recommended as teammates, as they can easily take care of Ponyta to give Treecko an easier time sweeping. Staryu, Mudbray, and Chinchou all work as reliable Pokemon for this role. Poison-type checks are also a necessity, as Treecko is unable to dent most Poison-types. Drilbur, Mudbray, and Abra can all function as Treecko's needed Poison-type checks here. Answers to Flying-types, such as Onix, Elekid, and Magnemite, (AC) all make useful partners, as they can dispose of the likes of Archen and Doduo to help Treecko set up without fear of switch-ins to the aforementioned threats. Knock Off support is quite helpful as well, as the removal of bulkier foes' Eviolites gives Treecko an easier time cleaning up late-game. Alolan Grimer is a particularly good user of Knock Off in terms of supporting Treecko, as it can also dent one of Treecko's biggest annoyances in Spritzee with Poison Jab alongside providing Knock Off support. Other examples of Pokemon capable of providing Knock Off support include Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Croagunk. Entry hazard support from the likes of Onix, Dwebble, and Omanyte allows Treecko to OHKO Ponyta with a boosted Rock Slide, as well as have an easier time cleaning up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Endure is an option for surviving extremely powerful hits and triggering Unburden. However, Treecko will lose valuable coverage in running the move (RC) and as a result will require even more support, so this isn't a preferable option. Substitute is another option for being able to set up more reliably, though this isn't preferred for reasons similar to Endure. Seed Bomb may seem like a better option than Bullet Seed at first, but is actually weaker unless Bullet Seed only hits twice, due to LC's rather odd damage roll mechanics. A special attacking set is an option, as Treecko's Special Attack stat is higher than its Attack. However, Treecko's lack of boosting moves and general lack of good coverage prevents such a set from being at all effective. Treecko can forego its defensive investment and use a Focus Sash to trigger Unburden, though this is even more situational than using Berry Juice, as Treecko will be extremely vulnerable to priority and require entry hazard removal from a teammate. Treecko will also be unable to set up against passive Pokemon, as it won't be whittled down to Focus Sash against most. Lastly, Iron Tail can be used to hit Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively, but it provides rather redundant coverage alongside Bullet Seed and Drain Punch otherwise.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ponyta**: Ponyta's bulk allows it to survive a boosted Rock Slide from Treecko and in return (RC) KO it with super effective STAB attacks. Unless their offenses have been lowered by Memento, other Fire-types such as Larvesta and Torchic can also be quite threatening to Treecko before Unburden has been activated.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Treecko's STAB attacks and Drain Punch, while and most can also take a boosted Acrobatics as well. Examples include Alolan Grimer, Mareanie, Foongus, and Croagunk, though the latter two must be wary of Acrobatics.

**Spritzee and Snubbull**: Spritzee's good bulk allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Treecko's boosted Bullet Seed, while in return it can use Wish to stall out Treecko and STAB Moonblast to dent it. Snubbull can lower Treecko's attack with its Intimidate ability (RC) and proceed to threaten it with either Play Rough or Thunder Wave.

**Flying-types**: Unless Treecko is using Rock Slide, it has no way of hitting Vullaby super effectively, while Vullaby can threaten to OHKO with super effective STAB attacks. It can also come in on Bullet Seed if it has Weak Armor and proceed to revenge kill it Treecko. Rufflet and Doduo are also quite troublesome, though they must be wary of Treecko's boosted Acrobatics if Unburden has activated.

**Status**: Status is quite troubling to Treecko, as burns from the likes of Pumpkaboo-XL and Larvesta will halve its Attack, while its Speed will be quite mediocre if it is hit by paralysis.

**Strong Priority**: Treecko's extreme frailty leaves it with a vulnerability to most forms of priority. Snover's Ice Shard is particularly troublesome, as Treecko will take super effective damage from it, though Zigzagoon's Extreme Speed, Timburr's Mach Punch, (AC) and Pawniard's Sucker Punch are all also quite threatening.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
GP 2/2
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Treecko has a unique niche on offensive teams thanks to its Unburden ability. This allows Treecko to set up Swords Dance, usually take a hit, and consume Berry Juice afterward, thus doubling its Speed and becoming a threatening late-game sweeper. Alongside Treecko's fantastic ability and access to Swords Dance are plenty of useful coverage options, including Acrobatics, Drain Punch, and Rock Slide. Unfortunately, Treecko is extremely frail with a poor defensive typing, (RC) and is thus vulnerable to super effective attacks, powerful offensive Pokemon, and strong priority. Treecko is also extremely weak before a Swords Dance boost, meaning that it is quite reliant on the move to do any notable damage. It can still struggle to break past some bulky threats after a boost, such as Spritzee, Vullaby, Mareanie, and Foongus, as it isn't extremely powerful even after using Swords Dance. Unburden can also be a rather situational ability in that it only activates once, meaning that upon setting up, Treecko will put itself in an all-or-nothing situation. Treecko also suffers from a slight case of four-moveslot syndrome, as its choice of coverage will either prevent it from hurting Fire- and Poison-types if it uses Acrobatics or from hurting Grass- and Fighting-types if it uses Rock Slide. Lastly, the strenuous team support Treecko requires to sweep can cause the teams built around it to be matchup reliant.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance is mandatory, as it boosts Treecko's otherwise mediocre Attack stat to threatening levels and allows it to break past most of the metagame with its attacks. Bullet Seed is Treecko's STAB move of choice, as LC's damage roll mechanics make it the most powerful option as long as it hits at least three times. (maybe explain why or at least mention, since analyses are mostly for newer players) It also has use in that it can break past Sturdy, Focus Sash, and Substitute as well as defeat various Pokemon with the Weak Armor ability, such as Onix and Dwebble, though Treecko should be wary of hitting Vullaby with the move. Drain Punch gives Treecko a reliable way to break past the Steel-types that would otherwise wall it, 2HKOing Ferroseed and OHKOing Magnemite and Pawniard after a boost. Acrobatics becomes quite powerful once Treecko has boosted its Attack and consumed its Berry Juice and is useful for KOing Fighting-types such as Timburr, Croagunk, and Mienfoo. It also hits Bug-types such as Larvesta and Surskit and opposing Grass-types like Snivy and Pumpkaboo super effectively. Rock Slide is an option over Acrobatics, as it allows Treecko to hit OHKO Ponyta and Vullaby, which otherwise wall it, for OHKOs after a boost and Stealth Rock damage. It also hits Bug- and other Flying-types super effectively, though it does leave Treecko quite vulnerable to Croagunk and other Fighting-types.

Set Details
========

Berry Juice alongside Unburden secures Treecko's niche, as upon restoring its health with Berry Juice, Unburden will double Treecko's Speed and turn it into a threatening late-game sweeper. 116 EVs invested in HP alongside 156 Defense EVs allow Treecko to avoid OHKOs from some foes' super effective coverage attacks, such as Timburr's Ice Punch and Chinchou's Ice Beam, and trigger the consumption of Berry Juice. It can also help Treecko take some priority attacks after having set up. 36 EVs are invested in Speed to allow Treecko to hit 14 Speed. This allows Treecko it to outpace the entire unboosted metagame after Unburden activates, as well as some of the tier's fastest Choice Scarf users, such as Gastly and Doduo. 156 of the remaining EVs are invested in Attack with an Adamant nature to give Treecko as much of an offensive presence as possible and to allow it to break through the majority of the metagame after a Swords Dance boost.

Usage Tips
========

Treecko functions best as a late-game cleaner, (RC) after its checks, like Ponyta, Vullaby, and Alolan Grimer, have been either removed or weakened. Before said checks are taken care of, it is important that Treecko doesn't take any chip damage so as not to activate Unburden too early. It should also refrain from getting hit with Knock Off in order to prevent the early activation of Unburden. Setting up is a rather tricky task for Treecko, as it should often try doing so against a foe whose coverage can whittle it into range of Berry Juice consumption but won't OHKO it. Chinchou, Drilbur, and Surskit all carry super effective coverage that won't flat-out OHKO Treecko, which makes these threats decent setup targets. U-turn users like Mienfoo and Vullaby can also bring Treecko into range of Berry Juice consumption, though some, such as Larvesta and Rufflet, can OHKO Treecko it with the move. Another setup strategy that is much less risky is setting up using Swords Dance against foes with generally weak attacks, like Spritzee and Onix. Treecko will often be relying on Memento support, meaning that some Pokemon that carry super effective STAB attacks can also make decent setup targets with lowered offenses. Examples include Foongus, Croagunk, and Larvesta.

Team Options
========

Although it is indeed threatening once boosted, Treecko does require a lot of support to successfully sweep. Diglett is easily Treecko's best possible partner, as it is capable of supporting it in many different ways. It removes both Poison-types and Ponyta and most importantly can support Treecko with Memento, thus giving it a reliable setup opportunity. If Diglett isn't wanted or needed, Memento support is still highly recommended for Treecko, as it gives it setup opportunities against the likes of Foongus and Croagunk. Alolan Grimer and Cottonee can also provide Treecko with Memento support, while Pancham can also work as a Parting Shot pivot. Fire-type checks are highly recommended as teammates, as they can easily take care of Ponyta to give Treecko an easier time sweeping. Staryu, Mudbray, and Chinchou all work as reliable Pokemon for this role. Poison-type checks are also a necessity, as Treecko is unable to dent most Poison-types. Drilbur, Mudbray, and Abra can all function here. Answers to Flying-types, such as Onix, Elekid, and Magnemite, all make useful partners, as they can dispose of the likes of Archen and Doduo to help Treecko set up without fear of switch-ins to the aforementioned threats. Knock Off support is quite helpful as well, as the removal of bulkier foes' Eviolites gives Treecko an easier time cleaning up late-game. Alolan Grimer is a particularly good user of Knock Off in terms of supporting Treecko, as it can also dent one of Treecko's biggest annoyances in Spritzee with Poison Jab. Other examples of Pokemon capable of providing Knock Off support include Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Croagunk. Entry hazard support from the likes of Onix, Dwebble, and Omanyte allows Treecko to OHKO Ponyta with a boosted Rock Slide, as well as have an easier time cleaning up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Endure is an option for surviving extremely powerful hits and triggering Unburden. However, Treecko will lose valuable coverage in running the move and as a result will require even more support, so this isn't a preferable option. Substitute is another option for being able to set up more reliably, though this isn't preferred for reasons similar to Endure. Seed Bomb may seem like a better option than Bullet Seed at first, but is actually weaker unless Bullet Seed only hits twice, due to LC's rather odd damage roll mechanics. A special attacking set is an option, as Treecko's Special Attack stat is higher than its Attack. However, Treecko's lack of boosting moves and general lack of good coverage prevents such a set from being at all effective. Treecko can forego its defensive investment and use a Focus Sash to trigger Unburden, though this is even more situational than using Berry Juice, as Treecko will be extremely vulnerable to priority and require entry hazard removal from a teammate. Treecko will also be unable to set up against passive Pokemon, as it won't be whittled down to Focus Sash against most. Lastly, Iron Tail can be used to hit Spritzee and Snubbull super effectively, but it otherwise only provides rather redundant coverage alongside Bullet Seed and Drain Punch otherwise.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ponyta**: Ponyta's bulk allows it to survive a boosted Rock Slide from Treecko and in return KO it with super effective STAB attacks. Unless their offenses have been lowered by Memento, other Fire-types such as Larvesta and Torchic can also be quite threatening to Treecko before Unburden has been activated.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Treecko's STAB attacks and Drain Punch, and most can also take a boosted Acrobatics as well. Examples include Alolan Grimer, Mareanie, Foongus, and Croagunk, though the latter two must be wary of Acrobatics.

**Spritzee and Snubbull**: Spritzee's good bulk allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Treecko's boosted Bullet Seed, while in return it can use Wish to stall out Treecko and use STAB Moonblast to dent it. Snubbull can lower Treecko's Attack with its Intimidate ability and proceed to threaten it with either Play Rough or Thunder Wave.

**Flying-types**: Unless Treecko is using Rock Slide, it has no way of hitting Vullaby super effectively, while Vullaby can threaten to OHKO it with super effective STAB attacks. It can also come in on Bullet Seed if it has Weak Armor and proceed to revenge kill Treecko. Rufflet and Doduo are also quite troublesome, though they must be wary of Treecko's boosted Acrobatics if Unburden has activated.

**Strong Priority**: Treecko's extreme frailty leaves it with a vulnerability to most forms of priority. Snover's Ice Shard is particularly troublesome, as Treecko will take super effective damage from it, though Zigzagoon's Extreme Speed, Timburr's Mach Punch, and Pawniard's Sucker Punch are all also quite threatening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)