Ladder Tier Shift ORAS (Swift Swim Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shamelessly stolen & updated from @eriados' OP which was shamelessly stolen & updated from PureQuestion’s original OP

Thanks to Rhythms for this great art​

Hello and welcome to Tier Shift ORAS

This metagame is all built on a very simple concept: All Pokemon below OU/BL have all their base stats increased by 5 per tier below OU/BL. BLs get the boosts of the tier above.

• Pokemon in UU/BL2 get a boost of 5 to each stat.
  • Pokemon in RU/BL3 get a boost of 10 to each stat.
  • Pokemon in NU and below* get a boost of 15 to each stat.
  • Pokemon that were previously restricted to 1 HP are no longer restricted if they got a boost to base HP (in other words, Shedinja's boost is intentional)
  • A list of Pokemon by tier can be found here
*This includes BL4, PU, and any NFEs not ranked. They do not get any kind of a special boost, please don't ask about this in the thread or say that it should happen. It may in due time. Edit: STOP ASKING ABOUT PU BOOSTS IT ISN'T GONNA HAPPEN

And that's basically how that works. It's easy to find some incredible examples, but let's just look at some interesting cases; I'm going to try to use some... infamous examples, to better illustrate my point.
The possibilities go on and on from there; it's a very interesting metagame to play; one where top threats in OU are usurped by pokemon they previously outclassed, it turning out that all they needed was a little boost to their stats.

This metagame follows the OU banlist and standard clauses (the only exceptions to this are that Chatter, Swift Swim, and Shadow Tag are banned). Thus, the list of banned Pokemon, abilities, items and moves are:
Pokemon: Aegislash, Arceus, Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-N, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-O, Greninja, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Landorus-I Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom
Abilities: Moody
Items: Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Mawilite, Salamenceite, Soul Dew
Moves: Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold, Swagger, Chatter
Clauses: Species Clause, Baton Pass Clause, Endless Battle Clause, Sleep Clause, any clauses covered in bans above

Mega evolutions work a bit differently. Due to usage based tiering, the base forms of some mega evolutions such as Pinsir are in much lower tiers than the mega form. Due to this, mega evolutions get boosts from the tier they are in, not the one there normal form is in.

Last gen we saw Tier Shift develop as an even fiercer incarnation of the standard metagame’s weather wars, since abusers from lower tiers such as Sawsbuck, Victreebel, and Stoutland received massive stat boosts. Now, with weather abilities nerfed, former Ubers dropped down, and the introduction of Mega evolutions, how will the metagame develop? The only way you can find out is by playing! TS was undoubtedly one of the most popular Other Metagames last generation around and earned a “permanent” (read: more than one month) ladder due to its player base. It is also one of the closest to standard tiers which means it is easy to learn if you already know metagames such as OU. With a ton of viable playstyles and even more viable Pokemon, what’s not to love about Tier Shift?

Resources:
Speed Tiers

Last edited:
Announcement: Due to changes in the boost mechanics, Pinsirite is no longer being suspected. Do to those same changes, a council will no longer be necessary and the current one will be disbanded. If the need arises for a suspect, a council of 5 will be formed out of active players who understand the current metagame.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Furst I really love tier shift and I want to point out that the nu weather setters are way better than they are before as well as their respective swift swimmers.

What were the reasoning behind the changing of BL boost mechanics? Since BL Pokémon are technically UU(RU, NU) by usage, was this only because of Mega Pinsir? Or where there other Pokémon that brought you to this decision?(i.e. Kyurem, Mega-Houndoom, Feraligatr and what not)

What were the reasoning behind the changing of BL boost mechanics? Since BL Pokémon are technically UU(RU, NU) by usage, was this only because of Mega Pinsir? Or where there other Pokémon that brought you to this decision?(i.e. Kyurem, Mega-Houndoom, Feraligatr and what not)
I guess I'll reply instead of insanelegend. It makes zero sense for a Pokemon that is broken in a tier to get the same boost as the other Pokemon in said tier. It has nothing to do with Mega Pinsir specifically, or any other Pokemon in BLs.

The OP is out of date in a few regards (i.e., sharpedo is now UU), but yeah, I am psyched for these new mechanics! They should make things much more balanced, I think.

IIRC, in the original BW Tier Shift, the boosts were like they are now, e.g. BLs get no boost, BL2's get RU boost, etc. That makes more sense to me, pretty much for the reasons TI stated.

Now, let me get this straight: Pinsir gets +10 to HP, but only normal gets the +10 to other boosts, mega only gets HP boosted. Correct?

IIRC, in the original BW Tier Shift, the boosts were like they are now, e.g. BLs get no boost, BL2's get RU boost, etc. That makes more sense to me, pretty much for the reasons TI stated.
You're right, it was like that originally!

Now, let me get this straight: Pinsir gets +10 to HP, but only normal gets the +10 to other boosts, mega only gets HP boosted. Correct?
Sounds correct.

I guess I'll reply instead of insanelegend. It makes zero sense for a Pokemon that is broken in a tier to get the same boost as the other Pokemon in said tier. It has nothing to do with Mega Pinsir specifically, or any other Pokemon in BLs.
It doesn't make much sense for pokemon that aren't good enough for OU to get no boosts at all either though...

A fair majority of BLs are more viable than a lot of OU stuff. Volcarona (A-), Diggersby (B+), Tornadus-T (A), and more are perfectly OU viable.
And a fair amount of non OU/BL mons are OU viable. Hippowdon (A), Aerodactyl-M (A-), Chesnaught(B+). I'm curious why we changed to caring about what was banned from UU when usage was fine as a determining factor before.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
It's arbitrary either way. Any argument for one side can be applied to the other. Let's just stick with what the owner of the meta says on this issue.

I'm curious why we changed to caring about what was banned from UU when usage was fine as a determining factor before.
It makes zero sense for a Pokemon that is broken in a tier to get the same boost as the other Pokemon in said tier.
You can argue that some BLs are not viable in the tier above but all BLs are broken in the tier below. There isn't really a third option here and so the rules have been modified to a better set of rules, which coincidentally was the original rules.

You can argue that some BLs are not viable in the tier above but all BLs are broken in the tier below. There isn't really a third option here and so the rules have been modified to a better set of rules, which coincidentally was the original rules.
well, there is a third option in giving BL an extra +2

well, there is a third option in giving BL an extra +2
That discussion has already occurred when Tier Shift was first made. In fact, all this BL boost discussion already happened in the original Tier Shift thread and these were the rules that were decided. The user who took over in XY changed the rules for no reason whatsoever.

Anyway, I'd go for simplicity over that any day.

EDIT: Tier Shift is about the standard tiers, OU/UU/RU/NU, and doesn't care about BLs.

Last edited:
In fairness, an extra +2(+7, +12) to BL mons isn't complicated at all, and pleases everybody; it acknowledges the inequality beetween BL and UU mons, but at the same time it acknowledges the lack of popularity(if not viability) of them and tries to fix it with a small stat boost. Yeah, most BL mons are good as they are, but this also applies to most UU mons(and some RU and NU) as well. I'm fine either way, but I would like to hear better reasoning against this +2 boost to BL mons than "simplicity", since this rule wouldn't be hard at all to understand in my opinion.

In fairness, an extra +2(+7, +12) to BL mons isn't complicated at all, and pleases everybody; it acknowledges the inequality beetween BL and UU mons, but at the same time it acknowledges the lack of popularity(if not viability) of them and tries to fix it with a small stat boost. Yeah, most BL mons are good as they are, but this also applies to most UU mons(and some RU and NU) as well. I'm fine either way, but I would like to hear better reasoning against this +2 boost to BL mons than "simplicity", since this rule wouldn't be hard at all to understand in my opinion.
It's really pointless, as the point is to boost based on tiering, and because a mon is BL it's BANNED from it's tier and thus lumped into the tier above. Greninja's usage is garbage tier in ubers, but it's still ubers by banlist.

Reactions: EV
I'm pretty sure Victini is BL so I guess the thing I'll miss most is base 105 Banded VCreates. That aside the change makes sense so I'll be that guy who points out that Sun is still extremely good. That vast majority of its group of Pokemon which benefit from it are still in low tiers, especially Sawsbuck who is essentially a better Kabutops. Also Entei gets plus five to anything, so Banded Sacred Fire instead of Banded VCreate? Also so that this post contributes a little more I think Celebi is also OU (I checked it on Showdown and the /dt command and teambuilder shows it in OU) which would mean that it wouldn't have the 105 base spread that you've given it in the opening post.

Stall has gained a lot from BL Pokemon getting boosts from the tier above them. Powerful wallbreakers and stallbreakers such as Victini, Houndoom, Heracross, Diggersby, and Kyurem become much worse at their tasks, while stall has lost only Kyurem, which can also be used as a wallbreaker. I find this quite unsettling as stall was already fairly good in Tier Shift XY.
Time to riot by putting gothitelle on every team.
:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)