ORAS Doubles OU This.. Is.. Serious!

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've never really tried to make a serious team before, so here goes. I suppose there isn't really a theme to this team, just 6 good mons that I thought would work well together. I'm about 20-10 on the ladder with this team (take that for what you will). This team is still pretty weak to sun, but it fairs well against everything else you'll commonly see. Here goes:

Cresselia
Item: Safety Goggles

This was a tough decision for me, as I really like leftovers, but with Amoonguss being absolutely everywhere I decided goggles were the best choice.

Move set:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Calm Mind
  • Psyshock
  • Moonlight
Thunder Wave: This move's importance can't be stated enough. Speed control is vital on any good team, and can flat out win you games in many cases.

Calm Mind/Psyshock: Cresselia's bulk allows you to get off 1 or 2 CM boosts every game. With that bulk, and under those boosts, Cresselia becomes a very powerful mon.

Moonlight: Recovery. Recovery is very good on bulky mons.

EV Spread:
  • 212 HP
  • 188 Def
  • 108 Sp. Def
  • Calm Nature
Instead of trying to explain a bunch of things, here's some calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T U-turn vs. 212 HP / 188 Def Cresselia: 200-236 (46 - 54.3%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 108+ SpD Cresselia: 212-252 (48.8 - 58%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO (You should really try to have a CM up against aegi)
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 108+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 148-175 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 212 HP / 188 Def Cresselia: 204-243 (47 - 55.9%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO

Cresselia is a staple in the current meta, and for good reason. It's a very bulky mon that can bulk up and do some good damage.

Azumarill
Ability: Huge Power (Should be obvious)
Item: Sitrus Berry

This items purpose is to boost back up to 75% health after Belly Drum and it's also not a dud if you can't get BD off.

Move set:
  • Aqua Jet
  • Belly Drum
  • Play Rough
  • Waterfall
Aqua Jet: Once you get Belly Drum off, watch out. Azumarill's attack is already huge after the Huge Power boost, and then it gets +6! So, give it a STAB move with priority, and sometimes it can be game over.

Belly Drum: This move makes the mon. Azumarill is one of the best BD users because it can actually live after using the move.

Play Rough/Waterfall: These are your standard STAB attacks.

EV Spread:
  • 228 HP
  • 252 Attack
  • 12 Def
  • 12 Sp. Def
  • 4 Speed
  • Adamant Nature
The 4 speed is basically there because you need an even HP stat for BD and to outspeed other 50 base speed mons/TR mons not under TR. The 12 EVs in either Defensive stat are to survive a few things like a weak thunderbolt from a bulky thundurus, but you can realistically put all of the non-attack EVs into HP. Also, assume +6 play rough/waterfall kills everything that doesn't resist.

I love this pokemon, although I loved it more when it was less common. If you don't kill Azu immediately, it's going to bring down one or two mons with it every time.

Sylveon
Ability: Pixilate (Should be obvious also)
Item: Choice Specs

Sylveon uses Choice specs to get some serious power behind it's moves. It's too slow to worry about it's speed, and I suppose you could put leftovers/sitrus/life orb on Sylveon, but Specs is really the best choice.

Move set:
  • Hyper Voice
  • Moonblast
  • Psyshock
  • Shadow Ball
Hyper Voice: This is the main move you'll be using. It gets STAB and 1.3x power from Pixilate and hits both enemy mons.

Moonblast/Psyshock/Shadow Ball: These moves are here for the rare occasion when it's just flat out not smart to use Hyper Voice or if your opponent is on his last mon and it's fairy resistant.

EV Spread:
  • 188 HP
  • 68 Def
  • 252 Sp. Attack
  • Modest Nature
You put the HP and Def EV's there so she can survive a return from Mega Kang 50% of the time, take 2 rock slides from Terrakion and Lando-T, and some other common physical threats I'm forgetting. Then, you obviously maximize Special Attack.

Sylveon is a good mon because of it's high power, it's ability, and reasonable bulk. It's a good addition to any team and I thought it would fit well here.

Thundurus

Ability: Prankster
Item: Sitrus Berry

This version of Thundurus is more bulky, so I decided to go with the good old sitrus berry.

Move set:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power Ice
  • Taunt
Thunder Wave: Again, speed control speed control speed control. It's so vital.

Thunderbolt: Your main stab move. Thundurus can still pack a punch on electric-weak mons.

Hidden Power Ice
: This move slot is flexible, but it's here to ward off dragon types and a big giant "F U" to Lando-T. Other options are Focus Blast and Sludge Wave.

Taunt: Stop other Prankster users! Stop Ferrothorn and Amoonguss from setting up Leech Seeds! Don't get Will-o-Wisp'd! No protect! Hooray!

EV Spread:
  • 64 HP
  • 68 Def
  • 220 Sp. Attack
  • 60 Sp. Defense
  • 96 Speed
  • Modest Nature
At that speed, Thundurus will outspeed Banded Lando-T and some other things around that speed. I'm getting lazy now, so here are some calcs:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 64 HP / 60 SpD Thundurus in Sun: 226-267 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220+ SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 272-324 (91.5 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
220+ SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 332-392 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
220+ SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 64 HP / 68 Def Thundurus: 246-290 (78 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I fall more and more in love with Prankster every game, and Thundurus still has the bulk and power to be a force on the field.

Aegislash

Item: Weakness Policy

Shoot me. Weakness Policy is perfect on aegislash because of it's ability to take and receive hits.

Move set:
  • King's Shield
  • Flash Cannon
  • Shadow Ball
  • Substitute
King's Shield: Do I need to explain this one?

Flash Cannon
/Shadow Ball: STAB moves. These can do a lot of damage to a wide variety of mons.

Substitute
: In good matchups, getting Aegi behind a sub can be killer. Sometimes this move is dead, but I prefer having it than having something like Shadow Sneak.

EV Spread:
  • 252 HP
  • 252 Sp. Attack
  • 4 Sp. Defense
  • 0 speed IVs
  • Quiet Nature
You want Aegi to go last as often as possible, so you minimize it's speed. Aegi's defensive stats are high enough to not worry about putting EVs into them, so maximizing that Sp. Attack let's Aegi deal out some serious damge.

Aegislash is a very common mon, and for good reason. It can take hits and give them right back, and when you can do this more than 2 or 3 times, Aegi can singlehandedly win you games.

Mega Kangaskhan

Item: Kangaskhanite

Move set:
  • Fake Out
  • Sucker Punch
  • Return
  • Power Up Punch
Fake Out: Fake Out is just a wonderful move, and with Mega Kangkashan, you can easily deal 30% damage on non-steel/rock mons, and prevent them from doing a move in that crucial first turn.

Sucker Punch: Oh man is Sucker Punch good. It allows Kang to wreck pretty much any sweeper out there without ever taking a hit.

Return
: Kang's basic STAB move that really does some damage.

Power Up Punch: PUP allows Mega Kang to deal some decent damage and get the same boost as Swords Dance. Mega Kang with 2x attack is probably the most terrifying thing on the planet.

EV Spread:
  • 252 Attack
  • 4 Defense
  • 252 Speed
  • Jolly Nature
This is a basic EV spread for a physical sweeper. You go with Jolly on Mega Kang because it does plenty of damage without Adamant and values the speed much more.

I know Mega Kang rounds out a rather dull team, but she's still one of the best mons in the format and she proves it time and time again. There's nothing quite like her and her baby sucker punching your opponent into oblivion.

Well, there you have it. I'll provide the importable form of the team at the end of the post. I know I'm not breaking any ground with this team, but it's a solid bunch that balance each other out well. If you know you're going up against a sun team, you should probably bring something else, but against everything else you have a good chance of winning.

P.S.: Don't murder me, I know I'm bad at this game

Cresselia (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 64 HP / 68 Def / 220 SpA / 60 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Use the PS Importable format this is so hard to read that it's hard to rate oml
What does that azu spread even do just use 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
52+ SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 320-378 (80.4 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah "something weak like thundy t-bolt" you can't BD afterwards they're just pointless evs
Thats all I see at first, I might actually rate if you make this thing readable
Oh don't fucking use the defensive sylveon spread why would you ev to live something 50% of the time just run 252 hp and get the SpD too and don't use sylveon to take out kang.
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 346-409 (87.8 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Adamant has 75% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)