Finals The World Cup of Pokemon VI - Finals [Won by Oceania]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
3 years in a row ;x

hats off to oceania and ew for winning the tie.

fun wcop as always, gj everyone!

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
As is seemingly customary for a World Cup captain these days, it's speech time! Just a heads up -- that's all this post is, so if you're not interested in this type of thing, don't waste your time reading this post. You've been warned. :)

I was pretty certain coming into the tournament this year that I wouldn't be playing too much of a role. I had disappeared from Smogon for a while for unrelated reasons, and I'm not into BW as much as I was DP, probably because I haven't dedicated quite as much time to it. I made it pretty apparent that I'd be happy to pass the captaincy torch to anybody that the Oceania crowd felt was a suitable replacement. As it turned out, they ended up asking me to stay on board, even if I wasn't keen on being in the starting lineup. And I'm glad they did, as I was shown once again why I have so much fun come World Cup time each year.

I seem to say it each year, but the World Cup is easily my favourite tournament on Smogon thanks to all of the cool people that come out of the woodwork to hang out in #ocn. We've grown a lot since our team was formed seemingly forever ago, and it's great to see the new up and comers each year to complement us old timers. The reason I'm so fond of the Oceania group is that for us it isn't all about winning the tournament. It's definitely a prominent goal, but we have just as much fun just hanging out and playing amongst ourselves. I like to think that this chemistry has come out in the way we've been playing for the last 3 years, but there's no doubt that there's a fair bit of skill in the group as well. Still, team chemistry doesn't hurt. ;)

On that note, it's time to give some individual shoutouts to the main squad, as I've done at the end of each World Cup previously. You guys never cease to amaze me, it's pretty crazy that we've been able to pull this out three times given the level of competition we've been facing each year.

---

animenagai: I said it last year, and I'll say it again. #ocn always benefits from your personality and presence, no question. It's a shame that you got busy this year, but hey, that's life. I know better than anyone that we're all beginning to get busy and will continue to do so, but as long as we can hang out every now and then that's fine by me.

Earthworm: A lot of you probably know this by now (or maybe not), but Earthworm is actually the biggest troll ever. Don't think for a second we don't know you're secretly plotting your next move. On the Pokemon side of things, it was great to see you step up once again and prove you're one of Smogon's most talented battlers, despite some people thinking this generation shift wasn't too kind to you.

Golden Sun: Man have you come a long way since last year. Previously, you barely missed the cut, and now you're easily one of our best players. It's been awesome watching your skills develop, and nice to see you come out your shell too. Stick around. :)

Heist: You're another player who has come a long way since last year. Look at you now, winning tournament after tournament. I checked my shoutouts from last year, and back then I told you that you were severely underrated. There's no denying that everybody knows what you're made of now -- keep sticking it to them!

Hipmonlee: You've been with us since the start. It's nice to see that you still haven't lost your spark after all this time, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Bring back the whole "have a nice day" thing though, I'm still not used to this foreign Hipmonlee making posts on my forum. IT ISN'T RIGHT MAN!!

makiri: Retired champion of the world. I'm pretty sure that you've got this makiri curse thing down to an art form now. It's been cool having you around these last couple of years, and I'll be your co-manager that does absolutely nothing any day. I was also glad to get you some game time this year -- who says VGC is all this guy can do?

panamaxis: Even after all this time, you were still able to come up clutch for the team when we needed you to the most. You've not lost your unique playing ability either. I know you're another one in particular that's becoming increasingly busy, so we're glad to still have you around. Make sure you say hi from time to time!

playa: We didn't manage to get you on the squad last year, but I was glad to swipe you this time around. When you get going, you really bring the thunder. You're a cool guy, we should talk more when you're not having trouble typing . ;)

sheep: It seems that every year there's one player that makes the squad that shows so much potential, and then I let him down by not giving him any game time, so I apologise for that. I really thought we'd be using you in the finals, and I wouldn't have picked you if I didn't think you could do it. Thanks for sticking around and testing with us regardless; I hope you'll sign up again to play with us next year!

Stallion: You may have had a little trouble this year, but that doesn't shake my faith in your abilities. I know you'll come back better than ever if you're around next year, and I can't wait to see that happen. You've become pretty entrenched in the Oceania culture, so don't let that change either. :)

The_Chaser: You were strong last year, and in my opinion you're even stronger this year. You're another one of our players that I sometimes have trouble following sometimes, but you consistently come up with the goods so who am I to question your methods? Keep doing what you're doing man, it's definitely working.

---

Like I said before, it's not all about the tournament itself. #ocn has a great culture, and there were plenty of contributors to that outside the main squad. I want to give special mention to alive, am, billymills, Crux, Fatecrashers, Frizy, folgorio, ginganinja, Hugendugen, Jumpluff, MoP, SgtWoodsy and Thorns for taking part in that. I wasn't around quite as much this year, so I apologise if I missed you. These were people that were pretty consistently active at one stage or another while I was around. Regardless, it wouldn't be the same without you guys! And to those of you who have disappeared, come back in and say hi from time to time (seriously!).

Big ups to US West for giving us so much trouble once again, and really to everybody that played against us. We definitely didn't have an easy run this year, and that's a testament to the sort of competition this tournament brings about. And for all the trash talk that goes back and forth between teams, you guys are great really -- don't take any of it to heart. :)

On that note, thanks to Jackal for running a fantastic tournament once again. You've got a pretty good formula running now, and I hope that I can send a few enhancements your way to keep it that way without you having to do so much of the hard yards now that I'm back in business here.

I think that just about wraps it up. I swear these things are getting longer and longer, but there you go. And I did give you fair warning. There's not much more to say other than we'll be seeing you all again for this next year!

damn to think that at the start of this wcop i wasnt even gonna join lol. im really appreciative of all of you westerners. we really came together as a team this year, and the comradery is something ill always remember and value. big thanks to you, phil, for messaging me and asking me to join west! im glad i got the chance to join such a great group of people and spend my summer like this.

philip7086: dude you're a great guy. you were always in our channel ready to help everyone be ready to play and win every single game. you easily made like 20 teams for us to test out and use this wcop, and theres no denying you were the secret to the teams success this year. you basically carried everyone on your back, and your aptitude for this game is incredible. if there was one person we could always count on to win, it was you. besides that, i really appreciate you coming out to west again instead of asia and despite having work everyday. thanks dude, the team wouldn't have been nearly as good or fun without you!

scofield: man, thanks to you and phil for inviting me to join the team this year. you were a great captain, and it was interesting to talk pokemon with you. you had some creative team ideas the whole year, and it was very interesting to see you come off quitting cold turkey and dominate in wcop like past seasons. your 5-0 record was instrumental in our success and we never felt pressured or squeezed to make the next round save the finals where you came through again!

bloo: dude you were one of the most underrated players coming into this wcop. i remember seeing like 5 of your alts on the leaderboard with some creative teams and i knew you were gonna be an upcoming star. in truth, once i saw you sign up for west, i was sold on the team and i knew the team would go far. you're a really cool guy, and im glad we got to hang out and get to know each other better in west this year!

loven: haha you're a crazy guy, no lies. at first when scofield had you in the line up, i didnt really know you and had never seen you play so i was kind of skeptical. when i first played you, you werent using a weather team and i thought you were completely nuts to try and play without it. turns out i was completely wrong, and you blew away all my expectations! scofield said you were dedicated to winning, and that couldnt be more true. 3-0 in the playoffs was so big, and you couldve easily been 6-0 the whole cup if it werent for two minor slip ups in prelims lol. you're a true boss, bro

indra: you have like the biggest balls ive ever seen lol. the shit you say is hilarious, and your desire to blast in every match is hilarious. thanks for joining and keeping the team lively this year.

remlabmez: i remember you being way underrated for being a top boss back in dpp and then you dissapeared to poker for a while. i was surprised and glad to see you come back to the team this year because i knew you were a good player, and once youre good at pokemon, you're always good. i think you were the only player that was completely on his own with making teams and testing. you're also a good guy, and im glad i got to talk with you this year in the west chat.

symphonyx64: you're another cool guy im glad to have had on the team. i knew you were no slouch at pokemon even if you don't play as often as others. it was cool to watch you get better and better over the cup, and even getting a clutch win in the finals. youre a fun guy to talk to, and you were a great team member on top of it.

anachronism: you're a nice guy and you know a lot more about pokemon than most people think. i never disliked you! i just sometimes found some of your comments to come off as negative, and i just had to tell you occasionally to stop since a team just should support each other. im sorry if you mistook that for me disliking you! anyway, if you stick to mons and work hard at team building, i could definitely see you becoming real good real fast

snunch: damn dude you went 0-3 in prelims which sucks because you're much better than that! you also had a hard pool to boot so don't let that get you down. you were a great teammate this year too dude. its also funny when you talk on irc because more often than not you're spot on about smogon issues and i like talking with people that agree with me. keep up the good work dude

sds: at first this wcop, i was concerned that you would be a douche or something, but that turned out to be hella far from the truth. youre actually a nice guy, and you have hella weird team ideas (like unleashing poliwrath on franky lol). it was fun to talk with you about real stuff like basketball and politics on irc. glad to have got to know you better this year

snorlax: you seemed cool, but you were never on! :(

yee: you were probably the most dedicated person to the team this year! it was nice to have you in the chat and sharing your wacky ideas. you also had da calculator on hand and pumped out the estimates without hesitation. it was cool to see you grow as a player through chatting, playing, and testing with west this year, and i definitely see you getting better in the future if this few month span is any indication

sot: you're another guy of the old guard that came to hang with west this year. im glad to have met you finally as you seemed like a fun person to talk to.

lady bug: da boss with weird as fuk teams

mithril: another guy that hung with us. although you didnt talk a ton, it was nice to have you around the channel and supporting us. its def hard to get back into playing the mons, but i have no doubt youve learned a ton by just being around fellow west players and youll find it easy once you get the chance to play for a little bit

tfc: a boss that made team bosstoise! its too bad you didn't join us this year for the cup, judas. oh well, i still think youre a cool guy; especially because you don't play 24/7 but manage to be a top level player regardless

thanks west for a great run!

I was planning on making a huge shout out post, but... I'm one lazy ass dude. Everybody on US West knows that I love them all, and am incredibly proud of our performance. We are the team that never should have been... thrown together last minute, and look how awesome we did! The only reason I regret losing in the tie breaker is because I truly feel like you all deserve a trophy, so again, I'm really sorry for not clutching it for you all.

However, as cliche as it is, I truly feel like this World Cup was not about the destination, but the journey. We didn't get a trophy, but I'd like to think we all had a better time than any other team that participated. I will forever stand by the fact that our team has the best mix of people out of any team in the world, and you all are the reason I came out of retirement and put passion into my team building and playing. Team US West is very dear to me in particular, because I have so much history with so many of you, and I have personally taught a lot of you everything I have to offer in terms of competitive battling. I am so proud of all of you :)

To OCN: great stuff guys. Getting matched up against US West is probably the worst thing that could happen to any team, not just because we're the greatest Pokemon players evar, but because there's no team out there more obnoxious than us B). You guys put up with our shenanigans and proved once again that you are a power house to not take lightly.

To all the Aron comments: Aron's a boss. That is all.

To Jackal: another amazingly hosted tournament. You're the head Tournament Director for a reason! Thanks for everything.

I only have one more thing to say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wc-AQJ2MYo

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tell you guys what, at the beginning of this WCOP, I wasn't even sure that US West was gonna exist. To come this far and give Oceania such a run for its money was amazing, considering we were a goddamn ghost town at the beginning of WCOP.

Scofield- I remember meeting you IRL and I'm always amazed at how different you are between IRL and the internet. Still, while things get bumpy sometimes, you're a great player and a great guy, and you sure as shit came through for West when we needed you.

Philip7086- You've always been a cool guy, and a goddamn great player. Thanks for being a huge part of this team, and just generally awesome to hang out with. Definitely be seeing you around Smogon more, man.

Bloo- One of those guys that I never really watched play, you came out and kicked all the ass for West this season. Stay strong, stay frosty, and keep showing everyone just how much of a stealth badass you are.

Indra- DACOPBOSS and an awesome guy as well. One of the main personalities of West and a completely hilarious guy. This dude has no problem saying what we're all thinking, and he love to build teams that BLAST. Keep on blastin, man.

symphonyx64- My main man ever since we were teamed up in SPL, you helped get West off the ground with me even when nobody thought it was gonna happen. Good job rallying the troops, and great job crushing anyone that showed you sass in WCOP. Always be keepin' West alive. Stay BIG, man.

remlabmez- Knew you were a cool guy and an awesome player ever since we started together on QC, and glad to see you come back out to reprise your role on west. I know you say you're swearin' off mons, but we both know you'll be back next year to keep West rolling.

Anachronism- I know we've had our differences but when it comes down to it you're a cool guy. I know I can be abrasive at times, but thanks for putting up with me and staying cool.

Snunch- !snunch can never be forgotten, but at least you've come a long way since those days. Good to have you on the team, even if things didn't go so hot. You're fun to chat and teambuild with, and you're great on QC too. Keep it up man, you'll go places.

BIG loven- not so little anymore??? Weird guy with some wacky-ass teams, but you came the hell through for us. Glad to have you on the team, and we're gonna take it next year. Guarantee it!

undisputed- One of my bros on IRC now, I'm glad to hear that I've been able to change your mind about me. Great guy to chat with, to build with, and just generally to be around.

snorlax- for someone so fat you sure are hard to find

yee- WTF BRO? An awesome guy to chat with and run gimmicks with. He's the one that convinced me to run Whimsicott and Rain Volcarona, and even if it didn't work, it was still fun as hell. Stay on IRC man, who else am I gonna build stupid ass awesome teams with?

SoT- WEST REPRESENT! Even if you weren't on the team, you lent us support when we needed it and were always an awesome guy to have around. Thanks for being your awesome self, man.

To all of West, we should be proud to have come as far as we did, and OCN showed why they've been the champs for the last 3 years. We sure showed them that we weren't to be messed around with, and we even showed that OCN wasn't invincible. We didn't win, but we sure as shit made 'em bleed. Next year we go all the way, right guys?

GO WEST!

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
I'm a lazy careless fucker and I don't wanna post a bunch of shout outs but all of uswest should be stoked we went this hard and lost to such a respected team with it being as close as it was. No shame there. I fucking love all of you guys. orgy leggo

CONGRATS OCEANIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)