The World Cup of Pokémon X - Format [Read post #265]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
and you may find yourself making lots of personal attacks
and you may find yourself born in another part of the world
and you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large smogon tournament
and you may find yourself subbing into gsc, subbing into rby
and you may ask yourself
well...how did i get here?

letting the bans go by
let reuniclus hold me down
letting the bans go by
people whining underground
playing with bloo again
after the trophy's gone
once in a lifetime
people whining underground
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was.

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
After some internal discussions originally sparked by Ojama, we have decided that a a weather ability alongside a speed boosting ability on the same team will be BANNED from BW OU for the duration of this World Cup.

Read:
  • Mold Breaker and Sand Force Excadrill are allowed in the tier.
  • Chlorophyll users and Sand Rush users are not allowed in the tier if they're paired with a Drought user (Chlorophyll) or a Sand Stream user (Sand Rush).
This isn't an official tier change yet. The BW Cup, as well as all the other tournaments (officials and unofficials) won't be affected by this change, only the World Cup.

We will make an official tiering decision with the appropriate people after the World Cup, which will be used as a test as to whether or not BW OU is arguably better off with that change.
Let me start by listing off some of the things this effects. Stoutland, Sandslash, Lilligant, Sawsbuck, Shiftry, Venusuar. I could go on but the point is that theres only one relevant Mon on that list. Venusuar.Sun doesn't have that many options and Venusuar has been one of the reasons to play it. The only thing this ban will do is force more people to use sand and rain making the meta stale. You and Ojama have probably been Sun burned one to many times and are trying to remove one specific Mon without suspect testing. Stop being sneaky and keep things the way they are.

Last edited:

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol have no idea what people are on about, but you can do whatever "preparations" or whatever you want before signups...that's nice and everything but captains WILL NOT be chosen until after sign ups, and TDs will vet every candidate.

So again, assuming captaincy is a bit amusing, but hey, to each his own.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
People always try to stir up drama. Why not just respect the TDs' decision and play BW OU as prescribed? It's just one of the 8 (or is it 10?) slots. Not like it's that big a deal. Some of you complainers won't be playing BW, and many of you wont make a roster anyway. Save your energy. Also recent Tour finalists like Get Backer and SoulWind need BW. What else would they play?

I sincerely apologize if that sounds harsh. It's not my intention. Just keeping it real.

Last edited:

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
white queen they are effectively removing ONE SPECIFIC MON that doesn't need to be removed. They need to back up there position with real reasons. The way they presented there position was ass. I want reasons other then "its a dead meta, Official Tournaments is truly where we get to see the evolution of a tier, we announced it two weeks in advance, I am a pasty mole-man and burn easily" none of those reasons provide any evidence why your decision is good.

"It's a decision a lot of players agreed with, even a good part of the one who are displeased with the way we implemented it." How many people agreed or disagreed and do the people who agreed or disagreed with you know what they are talking about?

I want to know how the Mons on this list http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/chlorophyll.shtml have broken the meta game to the point that you have to ban it in order to encourage something new. If you cant then your decision is wrong. If a specific Mon is broken, ban that specific Mon. I guarantee you the amount of Sun teams you see in the upcoming tournament will drop significantly and the amount of rain and sand teams will increase. I cant find your current BW OU usage statistics, but I'm confident Sun is the least used of the three weathers. If you can give me good reasons why they made the decision they made then I'll accept what ever rule they make.

Last edited:

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Can someone unban sogeking? I don't trust elodin to correctly listen and obey to his friendly advice on skype. It worked on SPL so maybe I should give him the benefit of doubt, but I'd still prefer Yan to be the one clicking the buttons. Also apparently Masterclass was just as permabanned and is now free and their situations are very obviously the exact same.

Regarding the decision, wouldn't it be more convenient to ban Venusaur? Afaik other sun abusers weren't deemed as broken and Venusaur was the focal point of the ban anyway, so wouldn't it be better to just ban Venusaur instead? This would allow sun to not completely lose Chlorophyll abusers that aren't arguably broken while also letting Sand Rush Stout remain unbanned. I think that this was brought up earlier somewhere but didn't receive a sufficient reply. If Venusaur really was the problem, why not do so in the least restrictive way possible?

edit: woops forgot about exca; this blanket ban still does cause a lot of collateral damage though, more than previous bans till yet at least, so a complex ban could potentially be worth it although it's frowned upon.

EDIT2- Also just to respond to your point about stoutland, i'm saying that this removes a not-at-all broken (like you said), viable mon from the tier as well as the other chlorophyll mons from possible use, which is what i was getting at.

Last edited:
Regarding the decision, wouldn't it be more convenient to ban Venusaur? Afaik other sun abusers weren't deemed as broken and Venusaur was the focal point of the ban anyway, so wouldn't it be better to just ban Venusaur instead? This would allow sun to not completely lose Chlorophyll abusers that aren't arguably broken while also letting Sand Rush Stout remain unbanned. I think that this was brought up earlier somewhere but didn't receive a sufficient reply. If Venusaur really was the problem, why not do so in the least restrictive way possible?
Then how would you release non sand rush Excadrill back into bw ou without a complex ban? I think that's a main point of the ban on weather + speed boosting ability to begin with: release an extra spinner with enough offensive presence to break through common spinblockers like jellicent and gengar. No one is arguing Stoutland in sand was broken, but this way hopefully the staleness of spikes stacking + magic guard mon can be relieved to some extent.

Sand rush on Excadrill is not allowed. Does it need to be more complex then that?
lmao how many times do we have to listen this "ban pokemon just with broken ability" argument before people actually understand this could turn into "unban ho-oh w/out sacred fire" and other bs? It's like we gotta unban Blaziken w/Blaze. They never did it and they will never do it. Pretty simple (and right).

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
People would start using Victreebel on their teams as the Venusaur replacement. Victreebel has inferior stats, but it can still perform the revenge killer/sweeper/sleep inducer role very well, not to mention that with access to Weather Ball, it can also run HP Ice. A Fire/Grass/Ice coverage is fairly good, which is clearly an advantage Victreebel has over Venusaur.

From what I understood, Venusaur was generally accepted to be the problem and not any other Chlorophyll sweeper, and this ban was put in place to sand rush exca wouldn't have to be complex banned (plus this would basically be an extension of the accepted DrizzleSwim clause). I might be wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
People would start using Victreebel on their teams as the Venusaur replacement. Victreebel has inferior stats, but it can still perform the revenge killer/sweeper/sleep inducer role very well, not to mention that with access to Weather Ball, it can also run HP Ice. A Fire/Grass/Ice coverage is fairly good, which is clearly an advantage Victreebel has over Venusaur.
we did it with Garchomp by dissallowing sand veil. We are smart people and I'm confident we can avoid the slippery slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)