The UU MasterChef Season 1 (won by warzoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creativity - Nightingales
Lord Esche

Elevation - Nightingales
Dread Plate
Effectiveness - Nightingales
Dread Plate

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
The results have been encoded! Congratulations to the people who excel in each of these categories:
. . . . . . .

The winner for this cycle of MasterChef belongs to...

Chef warzoid!
(for the fifth consecutive time!)

Congratulations to all winners, and thank you to those who have participated! The eighth cycle will be up shortly!

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! The eighth cycle of the season has begun!

Builders who wish to participate in this cycle, you may now open the (improvised) Mystery Box (for now).

GOT TO BELIEVE IN MAGIC!

This theme will be quite similar to the first cycle: "A Grand Opening". This time, participants must build a team featuring Pokemon whose first letters of their ABILITIES form the word MAGIC. For example, a participant's team will be legal if it contains Pokemon with Multitype, Air Lock, Grass Pelt, Imposter, and Cheek Pouch as their respective abilities. Again, that's only good for five Pokemon, but this is where your last Pokemon becomes your wildcard. All sets are blank, so participants may use their sets to their discretion.

NOTES AND LIST OF ABILITIES ARE HERE!

Builders have until
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 11:59 PM (GMT -4)
to make a team worthy to be etched in the Hall of Fame!

What are you waiting for? Get out there and start cooking!​

Last edited:
Reactions: KW

Euphonos

Note: If you plan to use a Mega Evolution, make sure its ability is coming from its base form if that Pokemon is part of the requirement.

Examples:
NOT ALLOWED:
Mega Blastoise (since Blastoise either has Torrent or Rain Dish, which isn't eligible for the requirement), but you may use it as your wildcard instead.
ALLOWED: Mega Glalie (while its Mega Evolution has Refrigerate, you may want to have Inner Focus on its base form to become eligible.)

LIST OF ABILITIES: (note that Pokemon in the Underused Tier and below have one of these)
Magic Bounce
Magic Guard
Magician
Magma Armor
Magnet Pull
Marvel Scale
Mega Launcher
Minus
Mold Breaker
Motor Drive
Moxie

Adaptability
Aftermath
Analytic
Anger Point
Anticipation
Arena Trap
Aroma Veil

Gale Wings
Gluttony
Gooey
Grass Pelt
Guts

Ice Body
Illuminate
Illusion
Immunity
Imposter
Infiltrator
Inner Focus
Insomnia
Intimidate
Iron Barbs
Iron Fist

Cheek Pouch
Chlorophyll
Clear Body
Cloud Nine
Color Change
Competitive
Compound Eyes
Contrary
Cursed Body
Cute Charm

Alright, so this is much more of a fun team than it is a great one, but it does have its good moments, and in theory should be able to handle most threats (as long as they are not all on the same team :]). I started with Fletchinder because I thought Gale Wings would be fun in this meta with all the Celebi and Conk running around standard Linda spread was the optimal choice, gives enough bulk to take hits and max attack to break and sweep. Next I knew I'd need a Defogger/Spinner, so Infiltrator Crobat found its place on the team. Gave me a Mega Bee switch in as well as a U-Turn pivot. After that I added Magneton with Magnet Pull, because I could see any and all Steel-types being an issue in this part of the process. Because I had and opening and because I always have problems with any Electric-type I added Mega Sceptile as my wildcard addition. It did add to my Ice weakness but I hate Electric moves. I added Protect for Bounce Gyara, Scarf Shoa, to see what Band Entei locks itself into. Things like that. Next I found my large Mega Aero weakness, thus came Banded Crawdaunt. I love this thing and I use it on so many teams now. Another answer to Steels that maybe Mag couldn't finish and also gives me a way to mess with fat mons and stall. Lastly, I decided to finish off this strange, fun team with Cute Charm Sylveon, it is wildly unexpected and I love when Cute Charm goes off. Besides running Moonblast over Hyper Voice, the cleric set is fairly standard phys def. And there you have it!

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Crawdaunt (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Fletchinder (F)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 154 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Crobat (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 120 HP / 170 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sceptile-Mega (F) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Protect

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-438051338 - Last mon Fletch finishes the game
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-438082873 - Fletch gets to sets up to +6
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-438836883 - Daunt, Sylv, and Magneton break through for Fletch to clean

Moxie
Adaptability
Guts
Intimidate
Cursed Body

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Icy Wind

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Rest

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

This theme is quite restrictive lol. It's a Spikes Hyper Offense. Porygon-Z is the revenge killer and main sweeper, it loves Spikes and pairs well with Krookodile who will set up Stealth Rock for it and Pursuit Bronzong, Metagross, Chandelure etc. Rocky Helmet helps getting chip damage against Aerodactyl-Mega and Doublade and weakening things in general. Conkeldurr helps versus bulky waters, Sableye, Hydreigon and Sharpedo. Gyarados is there to not be destroyed by Entei and Swampert-Mega, Rest lets set up more and recover the burns. I have put Thunderbolt on Porygon-Z so that Empoleon wouldnt be too annoying. Doublade spinblocks and switches into a myriad of things that otherwise troubles the team like grass types, flying types, fighting types. I have put Shadow Claw instead of Sacred Sword to help versus water types like Tentacruel, Swampert-Mega, Gyarados and deal greater damage to Entei, a big threat. But i guess Sacred Sword works if you fear being traped. 252 SpD to switch into Hyper Voice from Sylveon with much more ease, it still has pretty good physical bulk. Porygon-Z is the main sweeper but if it fails Gyarados or Doublade can do the job. This team has a lot of trouble with Bulk Up Conkeldurr unfortunately there isnt much i could have done here :/ Mons i could have used are Granbull, Aromatisse and Noivern but they werent fitting well and arent super good either. Other than that it's a pretty fun team ^^

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-439070554 Spikes are pretty useful there, lots of bulky mons that i otherwise couldnt ko
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-439074522 Against a HO team where Porygon-Z revenged everything and his mons were worn down by Spikes so they couldnt tank the Tri Attack. Metagross the only normal resistance was traped by Krookodile.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-439079876 I was able to weaken the Hydreigon with Gyarados which paved the way for Doublade to sweep. I would have lost if i had Sacred Sword, Shadow Claw helped me beat Swampert-Mega at +2

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi

I started by checking if any of the letters would restrict me in choice of Pokémon regarding diversity. "G" only has 4 eligible abilities, Grass pelt and Gooey being completely useless even on Gogoat and Goodra, and i refuse to use an ability on a 'mon that always is the inferior choice. I was left with Gale Wings and Guts, and while Linda is cool Guts gave me the most options to choose from.

Conkeldurr was my first pick out of all possible Guts users, simply because it is amazing right now. The BU set is incredibly difficult for standard-ish balance builds to deal with and it has the potential to single-handedly dismantle stall. However, Conkeldurr is slow and is susceptible to a number of threats including but not limited to Choice Specs Sylveon, Nasty Plot Celebi, LO Tornadus and offensive Crobat. In other words: I needed a Steel type.

I checked the list of Steel Pokémon that have an eligible ability and found Metagross and Registeel with Clear Body. I needed a solid check to all of the aforementioned threats, and considering that they are commonly paired with CB Krookodile, I decided to go with the bulkier route and picked Registeel, which isn't easily trapped by Krook, especially if it runs Protect. Still, Registeel has no recovery outside of Leftovers so I decided to pair it with Wish support.

Obviously my first thought was to add support Sylveon to the team, but since Cute Charm is just a gimmick compared to Pixilate, I decided to stand by my principle of not using inferior abilities. Additionally I already had a Pokémon with an ability that starts with the letter "C". I found Aromatisse, which can act as a Wish passer, has a cleric option in Aromatherapy and possesses the ability Aroma Veil, which happened to fulfill another criteria of the challenge, so I went with it. At this point the team was rather slow and still needed hazard control. I did what I always find myself doing in this scenario and ...

... added Crobat. Not only does Crobat add another letter to the mix with its ability Infiltrator; it also helps to relieve pressure from Aromatisse as the sole Fighting check, adds a Ground immunity and most importantly gives me an option to outspeed and pressure NP Celebi. When I checked the team for weaknesses, I discovered a noticeable weakness to Fire; Entei would be a real pain to face. Additionally, Gyarados just plowed through the team.

Milotic gives this team a solid answer to Entei, Mega Swampert, Mamoswine and Gyarados, as well as stopping any set up attempts with Haze. Milotic's ability, Marvel Scale, also completed the challenge to spell MAGIC with the first letters of 5 out of the 6 abilities on the team. At last I was able to pick a wildcard for the team, that would help to fix its last few issues.

It was no easy choice but I ultimately decided on Choice Scarf Hydreigon. It gave me another Ground immunity and good type resistances all around (especially for Electric and Ghost), speed control to revenge kill faster threats like Mega Aerodactyl and a reasonably hard hitter from the special side.

And there you have it:
... or so you might think.

At this point you might have already noticed that this is not the exact team from the sprites at the very beginning of my post, and it's true: This isn't the final version of the team. I intented to test with this version but The Immortal had already put up the suspect test ladder where Hydreigon was no longer allowed. Since I hadn't tested the team yet and I was planning to get reqs anyway, I decided to modify the team to be eligible on the suspect ladder.

(
) →
(
)

The easiest way to fix the team would have been to chose a different wildcard since I already had a potent "MAGIC" core. And that is indeed what I started with: As a replacement for Hydreigon I decided on Choice Scarf Moxie Krookodile. It doesn't provide as many resistances and isn't as bulky as Hydreigon, but it does give the team an immunity to Electric type attacks, most importantly blocking Volt Switch, and it opens up the possibility of trapping Ghost/Psychic types with Pursuit, which is very much appreciated by Conkeldurr. While Choice Band is the most common item choice on Krookodile, I feel like this team needs the speed that Choice Scarf provides, especially when facing offensive builds, and Moxie can also be a win condition.

I could have stopped after I replaced Hydreigon with Krookodile but I decided to also replace Registeel with Bronzong. The teams sole Ground immunity was now Crobat which I don't like to rely on, particularly because it is weak to Ground when recovering with Roost and because it is the teams hazard control. Bronzong also improves this teams match up versus Mamoswine. I decided to run Protect over an additional coverage move to ease prediction versus Choice locked 'mons, especially CB Krookodile.

(Marvel Scale) →
(
Competitive)

Unfortunately, with the replacement of Registeel and its ability Clear Body, the team now lacked the letter "C". Thankfully Milotic sports a second ability that is just as viable as Marvel Scale (imo), being Competitive. Since I replaced the teams only "hard" special hitter Hydreigon, this ability is actually appreciated because it can boost Milotics solid SpA by two stages when switching in to a predicted Defog or when coming in on a double switch on an Intimidate user (Gyara, Krook and Arcanine for example!). It doesn't happen too often but since a burned or poisoned Milotic doesn't check the 'mons it is supposed to check too well anymore, I found myself using Aromatherapy most of the time anyway.

Finally, here we are with the complete team:
Replay 1: Versus HO; Milotic does a good job walling Gyarados and Scarf Moxie Krookodile cleans.

Replay 2: Versus Bulky Offense; Conkeldurr pressures the opposing team a ton. In the end my opponent fails breaking Aromatisse and dips.

Replay 3: Versus Balance; Once again Conkeldurr does what it does best, only being stopped in its early game sweep by a full paralysis. Sub+CM Chandelure scared me but Milotic deals with it quite handily. Also where do all these Goodra come from?

More replays to come, unfortunately low suspect ladder doesn't provide the best replays... currently 24-0 with the team.
Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Recover

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Last edited:

Euphonos

Time's up! Hands in the air! Well done, participants!

Thank you for waiting, and now, here are the entries for this week's cycle!

- Dread Plate
- yandaud
- Lord Esche

Everyone is asked to vote for the top two picks in the following categories:

• CREATIVITY - Does the team made use of unusual Pokemon and/or sets that are very intriguing at first glance (required Pokemon included)?
  • ELEVATION - Does the wildcard Pokemon fill the gaps brought by its teammates?
  • EFFECTIVENESS - Is the team worth a masterpiece to use even for the first ever UnderUsed Majors tournament?

Everyone has until September 20, Tuesday, 11:59 PM GMT -4 to vote for the top teams. The more votes, the better ;)

Euphonos

ANNOUNCEMENT:

From this cycle onward, the voting stages will now be transformed into closed-door judging stages. I have appointed three dedicated judges and two guest judges competent enough to decide which of the teams are worthy to be etched in the Hall of Fame.

Once the judging ends on Sunday, September 25, the winners will be decided, and judges will then be recognized immediately after the start of Cycle 9.

Sad I didn't get to play for this round.

CREATIVITY: Dread Plate (much love for Linda), Lord Esche (Yanduad's looks fairly standard)
ELEVATION: Lorde Esche (Aroma and Milo are doing more than Linda is doing differently from bat), yanduad (frosslass provides a unique niche)
EFFECTIVENESS: Lord Esche (that looks awful to play against), Dread Plate (hard to call, but the replays...)

Euphonos

The results have been encoded! Congratulations to the people who excel in each of these categories:
. . . . . . .

Chef Lord Esche!

Congratulations to all winners, and thank you to those who have participated! The ninth cycle will be up shortly!

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! The ninth cycle of the season has begun!

Builders who wish to participate in this cycle, you may now open the (improvised) Mystery Box (for now).

CHECKMATE!
(Yes, yes, this movie is plain bad. The picture will be temporary until a photoshopped picture will be placed.)

The "bishop", "queen", and "king" pieces of chess are now made in reality in this cycle of MasterChef! With that, participants must build around the core featured in nv's Matchmaking Project: Beedrill + Sylveon. Shadestep's entry won during the Beedrill + Sylveon round, which he features Slowking as their most deserving partner! The sets will be provided below (don't worry, there will be some good host of possibilities):

Code:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe (only if HP Fire)
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass / Shadow Ball

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind

Builders have until
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 11:59 PM (GMT -4)

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus

SHITTY WIZARD
Seeing as it's my fault we're running Slowking this week, I thought I might as well contribute.
This was made with the Hydrei suspect meta in mind

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Protect

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

This core is awkward, but usable. Beedrill and Sylveon make for a very frail offensive core, meaning it is inherently weak to the likes of Entei and Mega Aero, so Slowking patches up those weaknesses defensively, and vice versa.

The thing about this core is, with such a specific set of roles already laid in front of us. Hazard setter, hazard removal, and Dark resist were on the top of the list. When I suggested Slowking in the original Matchmaking thread, I was trying to go for an OU-style bulky offence core, intended to wall and pivot for a few turns and wait for the right opportunity to bring in my breakers. Furthermore, our main powerhouses are both grounded and have terrible physical defence, so I decided to add some more backbone. Thus, I decided with a bulky hazard stack pairing of Swampert and SpDef Forretress, which provide a secondary Fire resist and Rocks, as well as a Fairy resist, Spin, and V-Switch initiative respectively.

Psychics and Steels were looking annoying so I decided to add CB Krook on the end. It also added a 2nd breaker (or 3rd, if you count Beedrill as a breaker). Krook is the offensive engine to the team, abusing the hell out of the momentum generated by Beedrill and Sylveon, as well as the hazard stack provided by Pert and Forry.

After some testing on the ladder, however, this team felt unacceptably weak to Fighting types, Ground types, and Celebi, so I decided to scrap this iteration and start anew. From this team, I learned just how important it is to have a Krook check (that isn't our own Krook) on this kind of BO, as well as how pressed we are for some very particular role compression.

This time around, the first thing I was looking for was a reliable Krook check. Whims and bulky Waters were both out of the question, since the former lacked the staying power I needed, given how frequently Krook can come in, and the latter was defensively redundant alongside Slowking (although as far as Mamo checks go, the more the merrier). Chesnaught fit this bill perfectly, and in this respect is the defensive lynchpin of this team. Also, CM Slowking appreciates not having to worry as much about acting as a Water resist, due to Chesnaught's Water resistance and pressure from Spikes.

Fairies and Flying types, namely Sylveon, Aero, and Crobat were starting to look like massive threats, and we still didn't have Stealth Rock. I considered Registeel for a while, but I ended up choosing Bronzong in the end, deciding that the Ground immunity and marginally greater offensive presence (through Heavy Slam) was worth having a second Dark-weak pivot, since otherwise Nidoking and Nidoqueen turn up.

This last slot ultimately decided the nature of the entire team, so I had to choose wisely. I desperately wanted a third breaker, either CB Krook or Specs Kyurem, since they both appeared on previous iterations of this team. A cleric would have been really nice, as well, but I decided against it due to our clerics' defensive redundancy with Slowking and Sylveon. Furthermore, I couldn't afford a cleric in the first place, since, as you may have noticed, I still lack hazard control. Thus, I chose Tentacruel, since it provided me with a backup resist to Fighting and Fire, as well as the always appreciated T-Spikes. It's a shitty Fire resist, putting a lot of weight on Slowking's shoulders to check the likes of Entei, but I found this acceptable due to the amount of hazard pressure the team now had.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-446213814 -- Gyara gets a lucky flinch (I misplayed though so I deserved it), but I'm able to wear down the biggest threats until he has nothing for Bronzong
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-446209235 -- I manage to choke away an easy win with Slowking, but I'm able to bring it back
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-446204129 -- Chesnaught shows just how important it is, both reliably walling Krook and wearing down the whole team with hazards.

I can pressure this thing with hazards, Beedrill, and Scald, but if it gets a free switch o boi
CM Shadow Ball = 6-0
I can pivot around this thing well enough + pressure with hazards, but it's still pretty annoying, especially with Knock Off.
I have a perfect counter in Ches, but that doesn't stop it from Pursuit trapping my Fairy / Psychic / Fighting / Flying / Ground resists.

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
this was made without a hydrei suspect in mind

The original core of Beedrill, Slowking and Sylveon is susceptible to/annoyed by a number of things including CB Krook, Sacred Fire Entei, Chandelure and Crawdaunt. Even though Hydreigon is currently being suspect tested, it is still unclear wether it will be banned or not, which is why I added it to the team (that's acceptable, right?). Roost is necessary to reliably check the aforementioned threats consistently throughout the course of a match and Taunt provides a ton of utility; pressuring defensive cores/builds, preventing recovery, as well as stopping set up attempts from the likes of Reuniclus and Suicune. Of course, we all know Hydreigon, it doesn't only provide defensive merit but also hits like a truck with a Life Orb equipped. With only 2 spots on the team left and hazard control being mandatory on Beedrill builds (imo), I decided to add the patented Gligar + Empoleon core as defensive backbone to the team. Gligar helps to check Mega Aerodactyl, Lucario, Cobalion and acts as a slow pivot that also provides Stealth Rock. Empoleon checks Sylveon and Porygon-Z, deals with most bulky Water types and functions as the phazer and Defog user of the team. The defense investment on Empoleon ensures that it survives +1 EQ from Mega Aerodactyl after Stealth Rock, since I have nothing on the team that outspeeds Mega Aerodactyl. As for move choices; Drill Run on Beedrill is necessary for Cobalion and NP Lucario, Thunder Wave over Calm Mind on Slowking because this team lacks speed control otherwise, HP Fire over Shadow Ball on Sylveon because even though I love Escavalier, I don't like losing to it, and Knock Off on Empoleon to deal with Specs Sylveon better (as well as to complete the holy trinity: Knock Off, T-Wave, Scald).

Threats to this team include...

DD Gyarados (especially Lum Berry + 3 attacks can just plow through the team),

LO Mamoswine (you might just click "X"),

NP Celebi (slow U-turn from Gligar into Beedrill and Roar on Empoleon help, but it still is a threat) and, like I mentioned before,

HC Mega Aerodactyl (gotta keep Slowking healthy).

Also, Sticky Web Offense is annyoing for this team to face... (seriously fuck this playstyle).

I originally had planned to go with an all-out-offensive VoltTurn build that utilizes Eject Button Slowking to safely bring in hard hitters but since the sets were given this is what I came up with.
Replay 1: vs Amaroq: Haxy game that ultimately came down to wether he had Dazzling Gleam on Celebi or not.

Replay 2: vs Accelgor: Scary match-up for this team. Specs Sylv and Band Krook can hurt quite a bit. Hydreigon is busted though...

Replay 3: vs DrReuniclus3: Fun one that lead to the discovery of Gligar holding Leftovers instead of Eviolite :| I should stop skipping turns for once in a while and pay more attention LOL

Since I don't have any time left to gather more replays I will keep Leftovers on Gligar over Eviolite in the importable. It is the subpar choice but I can't do anything about that right now. Guess my Gligar envies Gliscor for all the passive recovery it gets turn for turn...
Greed (Beedrill-Mega) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Sloth (Slowking) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Lust (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Wrath (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Envy (Gligar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 184 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Pride (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 192 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Roar
- Defog

Last edited:

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
Went with Jolly Mega Beedrill to win speed ties and outspeed banded Crobat, HP Fire Sylveon to support Bee, and Calm Mind Slowking to pressure balance cores. Forretress fit really well with the core, providing a slow Volt Switch for Beedrill, as well as a check to opposing Beedrill. Overcoat > Sturdy so I don't autolose to Venomoth. The team was looking super weak to Crawdaunt and needed a ground immunity, so Hydreigon was the logical pick. Life Orb Flash Cannon lures fairies for the last member, Bulk Up Conkeldurr. Bulk Up Conk helps with the stall matchup and also checks threats such as Mega Absol and Mega Sharpedo.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-449135453 - accidentally had lefties on Hydreigon but a decent game featuring BU Conk
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-449141237 - versus Sneer again with mono pink this time
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-449158187 - get haxed by a Draco miss but Slowking comes through
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-449167769 - Crunch Lucario takes out 3 mons and I lose to mono blue

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Pursuit

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Jolly Mega Beedrill is really the only Mega Beedrill in my opinion. There are a lot of them running around, so speed ties are key. I went with Thunder Wave Slowking to support Sylveon and Entei. It's also nice for crippling setuo mons or catching those opposing Beedrills on the switch in. I went with modest Sylveon againt my will for the set(I don't like my fairy being Crawdaunt food), but it hits like a truck. I found Baton Pass extremely useful in conjunction with my U-Turners. Next I decided Entei would be a great fit. With Mega Beedrill and modest Sylveon, they break most things. I stayed with my bulky Sylveon switch in set from other teams and it put in work. Furthermore, with Slowking, I was covered on my Gyarados switchin. At this point I realized I still needed hazards and hazard control. I chose a Krookodile set I'm not too proud of to fill the roles I needed. I'm running Dread Plate with Knock Off, Pursuit, Rocks, and Taunt to win the hazard war, stop clerics, and still be able to get off a strong Pursuit. Finally I needed something off the ground and a Mega Beedrill switch in, so I went with offensive, Sky Plate, max speed Crobat.
Bulky Entei putting in massive work: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-446279313
Breaking Stall without the need of setup mons: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-446359066
Playing the team like HO vs. weird balance: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-447218209

Last edited:

Euphonos

Euphonos, who had gone to an extremely busy schedule, is now back! Therefore...

Time's up! Hands in the air! Well done, participants!

Thank you for waiting, and now, here are the entries for this week's cycle!

- ehat
- Lord Esche
- warzoid
- Kamer

While the judges are deciding on which teams are worth etching in the Hall of Fame, those who wish to vote are still welcome, and these are the criteria:

• CREATIVITY - Does the team made use of unusual Pokemon and/or sets that are very intriguing at first glance?
  • ESSENCE - Does the core supplement the team's overall presence?
  • EFFECTIVENESS - Is the team worth a masterpiece to use even for the first ever UnderUsed Majors tournament?

Once results have been encoded on October 10, Monday, 11:59 PM GMT -4, we will announce the winners from there.

Last edited:

Euphonos

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHO ARE PART THE JUDGING PANEL?

Today, I am introducing to you the judges for the remaining cycles of this season of UU MasterChef. In this season, we have three dedicated judges, who are there to rate teams until the end of the season, and two other guest judges who devotes at least part of their time to do the judging as well.

Our first guest judge is a tutee from one of the former Iron Chefs, and now he keeps up with the biggest names of the Underused community. He is now taking over the Underused Teambuilding Lab project. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you: Amaroq!

Another guest judge for the last cycle of MasterChef is one of the most successful figures in the Underused community where he became the Finalist in UU Open IV and broke the record for having the most wins in the Underused tier in last iteration of the Smogon Premier League with 8. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you: teal6! (However, with teal6 being very busy with his work, Kamer took over as he is the only one who voted after the closed-door judging announcement.)

Finally, replacing teal6 as a guest judge is one of the respected figures in the Underused community where he significantly contributed for the good of the Underused Subforum. The monumental contributions include Iron Chef, and his activity and knowledge in the subforum prompted him to be promoted as one of the moderators of the Subforum. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, former Iron Chef Hogg!

Proceeding to the three most dedicated judges, the first judge is known after he won a series of room tournaments that consequentially brings the birth of one meme that the Underused Community own. That meme aside, he is one of the respected figures of the Underused community with his Victim of the Week contributions, and he currently is the champion of the NU Open V. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Sacri'!

The second judge is known for using unconventional sets when he started his run in the Underused tier that prompted him a good amount of attention. Now, he has made a good amount of contributions in the Underused community: he is able to rate teams himself thanks to the Team Rater badge, and he is taking over the UU Player of the Week and UU Battle of the Week projects. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Manipulative!

Finally, the last dedicated judge is someone the Underused community has looked upon for successfully pulling off effective teams with the wackiest of strategies. He is one of the significant contributors to the Underused community by taking over Hogg's Iron Chef, and making the first-ever iteration of UU MasterChef a reality! Ladies and gentlemen, the host of the project: Euphonos!

Euphonos

Alright. The judges have made their decisions, and the results have been encoded!
. . . . . . .

Chef ehat!

Congratulations to all winners, and thank you to those who have participated! The final cycle will be up shortly!

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! The tenth and final cycle of the season has begun!

I WRITE SINS, NOT TRAGEDIES!

The last cycle of the season ends with a pretty tragic note since Euphonos has gone to an extremely busy schedule. This is a tribute to one of LittleRunnerXC's contributions that recognized Mega Houndoom and Toxicroak's stellar offensive potential! Now, how would the participants build a team around the core, provided both of them that are supposed to be resisting Fairy attacks have their secondary typing cancelled their resistances out?

Participants are required to build a team around Mega Houndoom and Toxicroak. While Mega Houndoom is required to use Houndoominite as the item of choice, the rest of the sets are blank, such that all participants can use any set at their discretion. However, they may use the sets suggested by LittleRunnerXC in the UU Cores thread:

Code:
Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Since this is the last cycle, the team building phase will be extended; as such, builders have until
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20, 11:59 PM (GMT -4)

I have something^^

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

I went with 6 offensive pokemon since this is the playstyle i like the most but i don't think it's the most effective for these two. Anyway I tried to be original. I figured mega Houndoom and Toxicroak had a weakness to ground types and faster threats like mega Aerodactyl, mega Sceptile etc so i used Mamoswine as my rocker as it can use Ice Shard on these and lure Gyarados and Swampert with Freeze Dry. I immediately added Doublade as it takes advantage of these three weakening its usual counters and provides a switch to a bunch of scary revenge killers. I added Gyarados for a ground immunity and a sturdier fire resist than Houndoom. This is when i put Destiny Bond on Houndoom because i thought it could be cool to outright get rid of Hydreigon, Empoleon and Porygon2 for it. In the last slot i wanted a special attacker to take advantage of Houndoom weakening special walls and possibly something not stacking weaknesses to worrisome threats like Entei, Gyarados etc so i put Goodra as it's bulky and hard to ko and has good coverage. It hits 240 speed to outspeed Metagross and mega Swampert. I didnt think of creeping timid Sylveon as none ever runs it on the ladder but it's obviously possible. I thought of putting Whimsicott here as Hydreigon is quite annoying especially with Roost if i can't weaken it with Gyarados or get it with Houndoom but i thought the weakness to Entei, Doublade and the nidos would be pretty ridiculous otherwise especially since Houndoom is often suicided to destroy a wall. That's it. All in all i think it's not a super good team but it's functionnal.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-457503093 I was scared in the beggining as the team looked extremely standard and i had a bad start with Celebi killing Mamoswine turn 1 and specs Sylveon tanking the +2 Fire Blast as it had hp investement. But i weakened Krookodile and Swampert so Doublade ended up sweeping. This replay shows Goodra usefulness as it switches into Celebi easily and after Sylveon is weakened by Houndoom there arent much switchins to this.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-457499660 I played so bad in this lol. I risked to switch Toxicroak into Crawdaunt when it was playing such a big role in this battle and i let Sylveon weaken Doublade while it was my mega Aerodactyl switchin. Had Goodra in the back but still. This replay shows the usefulness of having Doublade in the team despite having Houndoom and Toxicroak dealing with Blissey, Cresselia and the likes, as it's a good check to Snorlax, Aerodactyl and Metagross.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-457486070 This replay shows the usefulness of Freeze Dry. After Freeze Dry the defensive Swampert wasnt able to check Toxicroak, Doublade and Houndoom anymore letting me set up and destroy the other walls on the team without losing 2 pokemon to it... Idk why it did 69 however it must have had some spe def EVs o.o it's supposed to do more.

In.
Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Rest

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Double-Edge
- Fire Blast
- Taunt

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Trying to find a way to succeed with this core, I decided that HO would be the way to go with Mega Houndoom and Toxicroak's excellent setup potential. In the absence of Azelf, Aerodactyl was the obvious choice for a lead. It's the most reliable rocker in the tier, beats forre, and double edges to avoid hazard removal. I stuck with adamant Toxicroak from the dish, with surprisingly good results (as seen in the sparrow replay). I was also happy to see that it beat support Crobat with +2 suckerpunch after rocks, always with brave bat, and sometimes with no chip versus support. Mega Houndoom was slightly harder to find success with. It either sweeps or does very little, but destiny bond and having a hard check to standard Celebi were excellent. Snorlax was the real hero. In the meta of Celebi, Drei, Sylv, and Conk, a sjocking amount of teams aren't prepared for standard curselax. Further, the dish and Celebi are excellent for clearing the way. Speaking of which, Colbur Celebi seemed like the obvious choice as a necessary conk check aside from the fact that it beats krook with giga drain and hydreigons that aren't smart enough to u-turn with gleam. Finally, though neither dish takes super effective damage from sylveon, Escavalier seemed like an obvious choice in the last spot to resist sylveon, celebi, and fit with the setup theme.
Toxicroak wiping a weird sparrow ladder team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-458507875
Offense v. Offense against iderpy:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-458503426
Least haxy Mega Houndoom sweep I could get:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-458932751

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)