The Seasonal Deer: Sawsbuck

Sawsbuck

Today I'd like to bring up a discussion about the seasonal deer, Sawsbuck. In my opinion, Sawsbuck is one of the best physical sweepers in NU, sporting some astounding qualitative traits in terms of it's abilities, stats, sets, move pool, etc. Sawsbuck can run numerous efficient sets, including a SubSD set, a CS set, a CB set, a LO set, a Sunny Day set with Chlorophyll, and perhaps a surprise set with support such as Aromatherapy. Sawsbuck's great 95 speed allows it to out speed most of the meta. However, Sawsbuck is quite frail, and susceptible to priority without a sub. Sme of the recent drops such as Scolipede, Primeape, and to a lesser extent, Jynx, can all cause troubles for Sawsbuck. But, due to a nearly un-resisted STAB combo, Sawsbuck is no meager threat. All of thee nice traits that Sawsbuck have patches up his negative ones, overall leaving a great physical sweeper. This has even got him an OU set on Smogon.​

But... Sawsbuck, according to the recent usage rates, only has a usage rate of a little above 3%.:pirate: Why is this? Is it due to the recent drops? Or do people just consider Sawsbuck not viable?

Feel free to discuss! Also feel free to list any sets you've been using. Recently I've been using the SubSD set.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Discuss!

honestly i think the drops really did affect sawsbuck a bit with scarf primape, and jynx, AND scolipede. i think that it is still pretty good though. i like using the baton pass set with horn leech, return, nature power, and baton pass.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

there is always the question of double edge and silk scarf or return and life orb though, what do u think is better

Sawsbuck is one of my favourite pokes and it's got some amazing coverage and moves as well as useful abilities. I think its speed really holds it back though, 95 is good but not good enough for something as frail as it is. And defensive/stall teams aren't seen anymore which its SubSD set was great at destroying. It also is outclassed as a Scarfer and LO doesn't hit hard enough off the bat to land important OHKOes and is outclassed by Tauros somewhat. But one thing Sawsbuck has going for it is versatility. SubSD is still my favourite set though, because Return + Horn Leech is pretty much all the coverage it needs!

Yes the drops really do make Sawsbuck cry but honestly i didnt see Sawsbuck used that much anyways And maybe it is a good pokemon but it hasnt been getting the attention it deserves even before the drops

Yeah, I agree with what you all are saying. I think that NLI pointed out that what really hinders it is its base 95 speed, as it doesn't allow it to outspeed some of the prominent threats, such as the recent drops. But, you can actually somewhat remedy this with a set that aims for speed, but sacrifices coverage/easy set up.

Sawsbuck@Life Orb
Ability:Chlorophyl
Nature:Jolly/Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Sunny Day/Substitute
-Horn Leech
-Swords Dance
-Return/Sunny Day

The main premise of this set is to basically set up as much as you can (if you're running sub), set up Sunny Day, then sweep a lot of the team. You can sac Return for more setting up, but sacking Substitute allows more coverage.

The main issue with this set is Scolipede, basically, but you can easily cover that with another team member. Also, Sap Sippers such as opposing Sawsbuck, but, as unfortunately stated before, you don't really see much of them.

@Ashley11,

I personally think that it depends on the set you're using. Something that has coverage and sets up generally likes LO, due to the extra oomph on Horn Leech, but SS and DE is typically outclassed. I guess it could work for a CS set though, as Horn Leech doesn't really deal a ton of damage un boosted.

Any other comments/suggestions/ideas/thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)