DPP OU the phantom of stark mountain

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
so this is a team i used in spl semifinals last year as well as in world cup finals.. it's a pretty standard offense team thats able to quickly get rocks up, utilize some lures in order to remove pkmn that may be dangerous or break defensive cores. the main pkmn i decided to build around was wacan dd gyara because a lot of ppl seem to either forget about gyara during team building or just chalk up not being gyara weak to running a defensive starmie or something like tpunch scarfgon / scarf rachi or scarf rotom. defensive starmie fails to ohko wacan gyara with tbolt, as does scarf flygon/scarf rachi. scarf rotom is handled by ttar generally. defensive gyara switch ins can be lured by other guys on the team. i will explain more about the team and the 2 variants that i used and the ideas behind both.

on top of this, after i share the team ill share some of my experiences and memories at the smogon university - although i think at this point im just someone that people see post and think "oh, he used to be good" which is why i went w/ the title. i fcked it up actually its supposed to be phantom lol oops

so this is the version i used in wcop.. well, its the modified version of the wcop version. after i elaborate on everything ill share some of the differences

NEWT GINGRICH (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sky Attack
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

It is hard to find a lead as reliable as Aerodactyl. This is my favorite lead aero set, because lead Machamp can be such a huge threat to offense. Sky Atk also smacks loom, who is another omnipresent cunt in the current metagame.. i can't really stand loom so i won't elaborate but he almost singlehandedly puts enough pressure on defensive playstyles to make them inherently worse than any offensive playstyle. but yea, aero matches up great vs lead azelf, crobat, zapdos, heatran, roserade, machamp. he also gets a sweet surprise hit in on some bulkier guys before they dispatch of them (pert, hippo) which means u can pressure them into a sacrifice midgame.

the spl version of this team uses taunt aero, because its nicer to let the next mon in early game to set up. its really a toss up and i switch between the 2 a lot

JOHN STAMOS (Gyarados) (M) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Wacan gyara is a good early game sweeper. the idea is this: aero leads, gets rocks off. gyarados comes in and starts to boost. the main problem with gyarados is that he starmie can KO him and come back to spin later. but this set breaks that cycle (except some bulkier starmies). now, starmie has to decide if it wants to try to stay around or if its going to let something else take some dmg so that it can still spin later. a lot of times starmie will just get sac'd to gyara in the early game, and then i have a heavily weakened gyarados that is easily prone to being revenge killer by priority. this is where shaymin comes in. healing wish allows me to recover gyarados in the late game and then gyarados gets another run at a sweep. pretty simple. adamant gyara because power is the most important etc etc jolly sucks, intimidate is a good ability.

spl version uses the same gyara

TOM BRADY (Jirachi) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind

first off, he looks innocent in the picture but deep down he knows he is an asshole, just like the real tom brady

just a nasty pokemon really. lure jirachi finds itself onto so many teams because its just so good. this is bkc's mix set, designed more to lure scarf flygon. lure rachi gets the big hits on skarm / hippo / pert in order make gyaras late game sweep attempt a bit easier.

the spl version uses a set i like a lot more. it utilizes the occa berry hp ground set that a certain brazilian showed me. blasting heatran is always worth it, and you get similar coverage except for scarf flygon. that team uses DD shuca ttar tho so its alright, flygon is still lured.

jira brings more to the table than just wallbreaking ofc. he is fast, has good typing and defensive capabilites, and will prevent me from getting swept by a lot of guys. thats why everyone uses him

STEVE NASH (Heatran) (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

this is a real neat set. u kinda need shuca berry, especially if your opp really likes occa lead metagross. hp grass is a real underrated moved on tran, mostly because its just so much fun to smack starmie and pert. i dont really like running any heatrans w/o hp grass (sometimes elec) unless im going full spdef. if u read the part after this, you'll see that i've always been a big tran fan. this guy gets good coverage and doesnt really care about booming. in the early game ill play him as if he were a scarftran and see if i cant get a nice boom on something like dnite or gyara. not much to say about tran i guess. could opt for more bulk but i have a tyranitar to help handle zapper and the appliance boys

TOM CRUISE (Tyranitar) (M) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 64 HP / 224 Atk / 220 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

passho tar is the goat. nice to be able to smack gyarados and empoleon, although since this set doesn't run superpower i guess the best i can do is crit it with stone edge or burn w/ fire blast lol. heatran and jirachi had p bad explanations because everyone knows what they do, i guess the same goes for ttar. fire blast ensures forret doesnt spin on me. didnt opt for ice beam because im not afraid of gliscor or flygon. on the spl version this is a DDtar but ddtar is kinda ass right now w/ all the mach looms running around. pursuit removes the appliance boys who can ohko gyara through wacan. pursuits also just nice to get any extra dmg on choice users that are locked into a neutral / resisted move. helps w/ gyarados

TIGER WOODS (Shaymin) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Healing Wish

i think i might be the first one to use cs hw shaymin. it came to me when i was building w/ sweepage. we were looking for a cool scarfer that can revenge kill ddnite and maybe get a surprise kill on something like tran / ape and this was our guy. also really funny to watch adamant flygons try to u-turn out and get smacked. seed flare can sweep late game too esp w/ sdef drops. healing wish pretty much solely goes to gyara on this version, but on the spl version i liked having the option to hw to either tar OR gyara, depending which had a better matchup. definitely a cool set, if u aren't a shaymin fan u are stupid but idk maybe u can use celebi but he sucks

the replays of him in action:
spl semis vs porengan: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-43454
wcop finals vs pkmnbasket: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-79997

a little about myself.. im an applied mathematician from the metro area, but now im doing my phd in virginia (henst why i play for us east). ive been playing competitive mons since mid 2007... although when i first joined smogon it was to trade pkmn that i bred in the wifi section, and it may be a surprise to some but my original smogon name was johnXkid lol.. anyway i would test my wifi teams on shoddy battle and then i eventually became interested in getting on the leaderboard and decided to forego wifi battling for the more competitive atmosphere that shoddy had to offer. ill give a summary of my competitive battling in dpp and some insight into what other ppl were using at the time too

december 2007:
this was when i first decided i was going to try to get ranked on shoddy battle.. please forgive my atrocious teambuilding and all that from this time, but my first attempt at the leaderboard (top 100 at that time) was: mixed expert belt machamp / sub cm mismagius / blissey / weezing / sub cm bold jirachi / dugtrio. why i needed to use a dugtrio when i had 2 CM mons that defeated blissey was beyond me.. the machamp set was kinda cool. no one dared to use spdef skarm with sd fire fang chomp running around so fire blast got some nice hits on him and forretress. i had some weird obsession back then with using weezing + blissey instead of skarm/bliss but w/e. the weezing had hp ice to atleast try to stop sub garchomp when i could hit through the sand veil. u will all laugh at the blissey set but it was softboiled / stoss / ice beam / calm mind, because i decided that instead of losing to sub cmers i would try to cm alongside them and win with stoss lol. it was a pretty bad team. i played a LOT of games with it and only got to like 1470 at the highest before my account was effectively destroyed.

i don't remember a lot of the teams from this time, but i think around this time is when obistall was running around. of course back then u would get ruthlessly trashtalked for "copying teams" but i would still face it anyway and it always crushed me... i also remember yagami light using a p nasty sand stall team with shuckle that would always beat me. around this time i tried to use a stall team too, i think it was hippo/dusknoir/forret/blissey/weezing/mixape... definitely didnt do well. it wasnt until much later that i would learn to play anything remotely defensive.

around this time i also remember aldaron, goofball laddering a lot.. this is when aldaron began to revolutionize the ladder scene a bit using stuff like sd lucario and taunt heatran. if u want to know more about his playing then id definitely recommend reading his thread if it still exists.

april 2008:
after relentlessly laddering with that really shitty triple cm team, i decided it was time for a change. i started using some team that was like celebi / careful cbtar / zapdos / starmie / jirachi / restalk ddgyara. i remembered reading a gormenghast rmt that used restalk ddgyara and i thought he was cool. the zapdos was a life orb set, and this was the first team i ever used that beat someone who was in the top 10 (it was Twist of Fate btw). this team also failed tho so i decided to use something else. i made a team with mesprit / restalk heatran / celebi / dugtrio / lucario / restalk machamp. like all my early teams, it got butchered by stall. it was the first team i rmt'd on smogon i think... eventually i replaced dugtrio with a choice scarf metagross. around this time suicide leads started to become popular, mostly azelf. at this time dormin was sitting atop the ladder, using some team with celebi, restalk ddgyara, yache chomp, and choice scarf ttar. then, of course, came astral projection. i think the only reason this team ever made it to the leaderboard was because i faced husk 3-4 times and astral projection had inherent problems beating scarf metagross, since it resisted the majority of priority, couldnt be revenged by deo e, and the 2 steel resists were a lucario and a 0 hp investment gyarados which was SR weak and couldn't intimidate it. so i got to like a 1550 rating with this team and was all set to retire from competitive mons (atleast ou). i started playing ubers and uu, and those leaderboards were a lot easier to make it onto.

side note, around this time i also joined pokebeach thanks to jimbo, and met guys like pride and kg there who were a lot of fun to talk mons with. in my ladder adventures, i met a guy name galileo (i think that was his name) who was a long time mons played and had reached number one on the ladder before. he gave me a lot of my early lessons and eventually gave me the team he had used to reach number 1 about a year before that. it was something like mesprit / ddtar / cb hera / scarfchomp / mixmence and something else i forget... anyway one day on the ladder some guy named RT (rampaging tyranitar) came in and started trolling me for "using his team" and called me a noob. so rt, i forget what you changed your name to, but i just wanna let u know that ive hated u ever since that moment u stupid team stealing (BAN ME PLEASE), who is the noob now? so that was the first enemy i ever made in competitive mons, but it would not be long before i made another. galileo and i had been theorymonning using sub ddtar and decided to give it a go. it performed pretty well and i decided to share it with some friends from pokebeach, one of them named pulse. one day i decided that i would post it in the creative new movesets thread in stark mountain, but to my surprise pulse had already posted it and claimed it as his own... he got a lot of really positive feedback from badged members like iggybot and when i posted asking him for some credit he claimed that he didnt know who i was. so ill say it again, if u ever see pulse i hate your stupid set stealing (BAN ME PLEASE) ass and i hope that you relished your 5 minutes of fame in a random stark mountain thread while i went on to win an ost and combine for 30 wins between wcop and spl. anyways..

june 2008
i decided i wanted to give hyper offense a go after reading husks rmt about astral projection. me and galileo made a pretty similar HO team consisting of: suicide azelf / lo dd gyara / cb chomp / mamoswine / magnezone / deo e. it was through using this team that i became aquainted with using really heavy offense and i was able to eclipse the 1600 barrier on shoddy that had eluded me. then, of course, garchomp got banned. i did not participate in the suspect test, but i knew the metagame was about to change a lot. at this point i tried to learn stall but again i just got frustrated because i was young and impatient, so i went back to the style that i knew best.

at this time jimbo was getting tutored by TAY, and they had been using a cool team with ts roserade lead and crocune. i decided that i would give rose + cune a try, and i built a team with dawnbringer that was: ts roserade / restalk machamp / deo e / raikou / sub cm suicune / sub roost zapdos. the first thing to be noticed is that there is infact no stealth rocker on this team... why that is im not sure. i guess i hadnt yet recognized the sheer importance of stealth rock. anyway the team was cool but it wasnt great vs blissey esp if tspikes came off the field. one day when i was browsing stark mountain i saw a post by astamatitos. he was someone who i had watched a lot on the ladder in the past, and it seemed he always came out victorious. i have fond memories on watching his team w/ sd empoleon, spdef curse mamoswine, and sd ape surprise other ladder users as it had surprised me. he was also the first guy i saw use spdef sd scizor (this was before it got bullet punch too). anyway he made a post about a sub roost salamence set that used leftovers and had dragon pulse / brick break. i figured this was a cool way to lure blissey and i gave it a shot over zapdos and never looked back. despite not having sr, this became my most successful team. the ladder was a lot of fun back then, and i got to watch guys like husk play, whom i had never seen play before astral projection. husk was, like many people, very fond of toxic spikes at that time. he used a really cool then that consisted of roserade / raikou / mamoswine / bulky ddmence / specs tran / ghost. the ghost sometimes was spiritomb, sometimes mismagius. a lot of guys then were using restalk cm tomb, which to me was basically "let forry get 5 layers on you then cbtar 2hkoes you and you cant 2hko at +6/+6. but regardless it was a very good team and very tough to beat at the time. ts + specstran destroyed a lot of teams, mamoswine provided rocks and shuffled dudes with roar, and raikou and mence provided 2 very different late game win conditions. husk was also the first guy i ever saw use nidoqueen. around this time i also saw jabba use nidoqueen on his stall team, which was nidoqueen / zapdos / skarm / bliss / starmie / celebi. this was the first stall team i didnt fail terribly with, but eventually also abandoned this team in favor of continuing to use offense.

also around this time (maybe before, i dont remember), ipl was dominating the ladder under his account "doorman". for those of u who dont know, wobb wasnt banned around this time, and smart players like ipl were abusing the ever living shit out of it. he used a wobb stall team with dugtrio and spdef forret and acheived a shoddy rating of ~1850 with it. i fortunately never had to play vs his team, but i did watch many fall victim to it.

anyway, platinum came, wobb was banned, and all the moveset changes shook up the metagame a lot. people were using a lot of stalls with rotom-a, and cb scizor and lo dd mence were running rampant. i was starting school around this time, but ipl continued to dominate the ladder and reach a rating of close to 1900 iirc. i wasn't around a lot so i don't really remember his team but im sure theres someone here that does. shaymin-s was running rampant and i remember giving KG/limitless' team a go. it was cool, something like scarf shaymin / zapdos / mamoswine / dd kingdra. i dont really remember but it helped me get a bit of a feel for the metagame. i took a short break from mons and returned in november.

november 2008
fear had posted a cool rmt using sashtar lead with dark pulse to fuck with the dual screen azelf offense teams that were starting to gain popularity. obviously first instinct vs tar lead w/ azelf was to reflect because of crunch + high atk, and using dark pulse could ruin the strategy nicely. pride and i decided to make a team using the sash ttar, and it was sash ttar / lo zapdos / scarf rachi / scarf rotom-h / sub dragon pulse heatran / celebi. it was alright but had nothing to switch in on twaves. at this time, hectortu had recently rmt'd a team using sub rhyperior in the sand. our teams were pretty similar and i eventually decided to replace jirachi with rhyperior. it was using this team on the ladder that i had my first run in with gouki, who was using a team of hippo / blissey / forret / rotom-h / restalk gyara / superrachi. i always lost to this team, the cm psychic gk hp fire jirachi was just too much for me to handle most of the time. i actually still use a modified version of this team sometimes, which speaks a lot to how well it was built considering it can stand 8 years of metagame change. but i was getting pretty busy around now too. i took a couple of weeks off and came back at the end of december.

december 2008
i came back with a vengeance and built a buttload of teams. a couple weeks off really helped me to get back into the swing of things. i began to use pokemon i hadnt used a lot. the first team i built was shuca tran / restalk hera / porygon2 / sub charge rotom-h / scarf mence / scarf metagross, and it performed well but i really wanted to get back into playing heavy offense. i had started using some cool sets like kabutops lead and LO starmie that I had never really used before. this was also when i really got into using 4 atk LO tran. dude was a monster, he smacked so much shit into oblivion. i was using a an offensive core of lo tran / lo starmie / mixmence at the time and never had the slightest trouble with defensive teams thanks to lo tran / mixmence and matched up nice vs offense thanks to a fast hard hitter w/ good coverage.

the ost5 saga
OST sign ups came and i had played any smogon tournaments except for a couple in the wifi forum (lol). i wasn't gonna join but KG convinced me to. i wasnt really using anything super serious at the time so i went into my first match with a pretty random squad. i was playing a guy named thorns who i had seen around on IRC a few times. we played the first round match and i brought kabutops / scarf magnezone / starmie / heatran / salamence and i cant remember the last. the lead matchup was the thing i remember most.. he led with sleep powder ts rose and murdered my kabutops so i had to play from behind for most of the game. i trapped and exploded on a lucario in the late game with magnezone and we both revealed our last mons, and it was salamence vs salamence. we both thought we had it won (turns out we were both jolly CS mence w/ max speed), and it came down to a speed tie. i ended up winning the speed tie and felt pretty bad about it, but i was just happy that i was able to play back from a bad matchup.

r2 i played a guy i had never heard of, and to this day i don't remember his name. the battle lasted 8 turns because i brought a boom team with azelf / snorlax / metagross / tran and blew up every turn from 3-6 and then cleaned up w/ a mixmence.

r3 i played a guy i knew from pokebeach named bam_ur_dead and decided if i wanted to compete i should probably make a more serious team. i was browsing old rmts and came across a rmt from deo-e era where some TU guy was using spdef pursuit metagross.. i figured i would give him a go and built a team around it. no one was really using lead azelf anymore so i decided to give him a go because i had always liked using him and he was reliable. next i added mixmence mainly for his ability to rip open holes in early - midgame and because intimidate was always very useful. dawnbringer introduced me to a cool machamp set i wanted to use, substitute / payback / stone edge / dynamic punch. i thought it was cool to ease prediction with sub and then slaughter shit with dynamic punch. so i was at azelf / metagross / mixmence / machamp. intuition told me to go with heatran next, but i was torn between the sub toxic set and the life orb boom set. so i made a compromise. i liked sub's ability to get a sub up on scizor bullet punches, esp if i was going to be using a few mons that get picked off late game (machamp, mence mostly). i kept life orb for the power, and instead of boom i went with hp grass because everyone and their mother was using pert to check tran. last mon i added was flygon, which was just the CS revenge killer set. the whole process took about 15 minutes. i took it to the ladder for tests and ended up peaking #1 for my first time, and decided that this was good enough to use vs bam. i ended up pulling the game out 2-0, thanks to the extra power of LO tran, and i decided that this would be the team i'd use to play through the rest of my matches

r4 i played VIL, who i had heard of but never seen play. naturally everyone predicted i'd get slaughtered, but he brought IPL stall and a fire blast crit from azelf on rotom allowed my azelf to boom on blissey. from there heatran took care of everything (thanks in part to a wisp boost from spiritomb)

r5 was ToF, who everyone also predicted would murder me. i had a great matchup from the start, he brought spdef tar / cune / skarm / gengar / sub tran, which had some inherent troubles with mixmence. he missed a fire blast on metagross w/ tran but thanks to my metric ass-ton of spdef it would have been a roll and i dont (personally) think that it mattered. big poppa can comment if he wants

r6 was jabba, who brought a team that was very weak to mence and i ended up winning handily

by this time it was semifinals. earthworm had been knocked out by gouki in a stall vs stall mirror match. i had a feeling gouki would run the same exact team vs me, and i knew it well from the ladder. hippowdon / blissey / rotom-a / gyarados / spdef forret / phys def starmie. it was very similar to the team that jabba used and i felt comfortable using my same team against him. but it ended up being a lot more than i bargained for. gouki played incredibly well, and in the end it came down to whether his restalk gyara could outstall machamps stone edge PP without taking a crit. i got the crit pretty early and gouki was very upset, which i understand. i think he still has a chip on his shoulder about this game, which is understandable

finals was vs locopoke.. the log is out there somewhere and i can edit it into here at some point. i made some changes to my team to avoid getting CT'd, the biggest one of which was restalk gyara > flygon. game went on fairly harmless until it was heatran / gyara (unrevealed) vs blissey and mamoswine (unrevealed). i had decided to run boom on heatran after struggling a lot with gouki's blissey. locopoke knew the previous version of my team and i didn't think that he expected me to run boom... but i clicked boom and he clicked protect. my heart sunk. all i had left was a gyarados. but he pulled it out, thanks to 1 stone edge miss from mamoswine. so yea. i got lucky. this whole ost saga is a story about how i got lucky..

i didnt really play much after that. i finally learned how to relax and play stall (i think puberty helped) and tried my hand at other tiers. i entered ost6 the next year but got knocked out in the 2nd round. so i really only play team tournaments now. the tournament scene has changed a lot since then, and it's really mentally taxing to make yourself play dpp so often. i wrote a pretty long post about that actually in another thread in roa, so if you want an elaboration i guess u can check that out.

if i have any more to add i think i will throw it in here. just wanted to share a team and some of my early experiences, since im sure a lot of newer guys probably dont know much about the way tournies used to be and stuff. before replays i was able to use the same team from r3 - finals of OST. i dunno

uh some other stuff to add i guess... some of my favorite teams throughout the time i played a lot:
my favorite team was probably the husk specstran team i mentioned above.
aldaron's taunt tran team, the one with lead hazard roserade and tech top. showed that the metagame still needed a lot more exploring haha
i always loved a really well built stall team. obi stall was obviously the most popular stall team and i still like it. i actually ended up using a modified version in wcop a couple years ago w/ reflect star > tenta. still a dominating presence, struggles w/ some roserade lead teams tho
ipl stall was always a lot of fun to watch atleast, not so much to play against. watching that dude play 5 games at once and win them all was something remarkable. he is truly the father of pure stall in dpp and he was very innovative. for those of u not familiar with the final version of that team it was sr wish bliss / forret / protect pert / gyara / restalk rotom-h (no wisp) / curse wisp rest spiritomb. always interesting to see teams like this and the worms / gouki / junior team (idk who actually made it i think junior??) which opted for 2 spinners to dominate hazard control, and the ipl team that opted for 2 blockers to dominate keeping hazards.
alarmes police was a great team, hippo/rt tran/rt tomb/celebi/avalanche rt gyara/forret
can't forget astral projection, a truly dominating hyper offense team that let us catch wind of how nasty deo-e could be in late game cleaning
thriller, the panamaxis / jlei team popularized hazards + cm roar latias. team was dominating before the latias ban
zak91's curse ttar team gives me some nightmares, i think it was like rachi / celebi / tar / gliscor / scizor / zonger but its probably different idk. i got smacked by it in wcop playoffs once so i try to forget ha ha

i guess theres a pretty big theme overall of the teams i remember and thats that a lot of them were dominant defensive builds, which arent really seen a lot anymore. i've gradually become a more defensive player because i find it to be safer and over the years i've become much more mathematically inclined to give myself the best chance to win.. but current dpp is not a defensive mans metagame and like i said, that in and of itself makes it so much harder to prepare for big games. i almost never want to use a defensive team myself but i have to build with the fear in the back of my mind that my opponent might use one and have to build a team that matches up very well against offense, balance, and stall which is barely even possible

theres a lot of ppl i left out of here too, but:
panamaxis, phil, stone_cold, hector, pride, mystica (lol), LOUKI, atticus, rmega - u guys were some of the most fun ladder matches i ever had, and ill be damned if i didnt atleast pick up a thing or two from some of the matches

other cool ppl ive gotten the chance to play with over the years - team east, specifically bkc cuz he always played dpp w/ me, ojama (fuck man stop bein such a savage at this game and let someone else win), heist, phil and a bunch of others

i guess if anyone has any questions about anything i talked about / stuff i didnt talk about / wants to comment on the team thatd be neat

Last edited:

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I enjoyed skimming through your history of pkmn AUG. I kinda remember your game vs Gouki, I'm pretty sure there was some Dpunch shenanigans that really pissed him off. Anyways good read, it's a shame we didn't get to play more often than we did. (I only remember our frontier game as far as ~srs~ matches go)

Also CB gyara, never forget

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Atticus yea that would make sense, ive tried to forget the details of the game and i can't find the old logs to sonius anywhere RIP

never forget the CB gyarados stall, smack the starmie/rotom with payback and you control hazards for the game ha ha ha. watching you ladder with that team was nothing short of hilarious

i remember that game too, i think i used my boomlax team w/ lo starmie and in the end it came down to lo surf starmie vs your cb scizor. i also remember playing some uu games w/ you and you used some weird rhyperior lead (rindo i think lol) and a raikou and u just called it "team exalant". never forget koalacorp

fuck that was a ride bro... really cool read

tells a tale of a different time and different way of approaching the game. ur story elaborates on all the different tendencies everyone had in their builds back then and it something u never see these days in the new ou. every player was a new (or familiar) challenge. in oras, aside from a very select few, everyone is just using the same recycled builds playing the same way. maybe it was a testament to how (comparatively) small time the game was back then. something i definitely miss for sure.

its funny that u remember the first big name u beat on the ladder. i still remember the first time i beat KG. i could probably even recount the battle. that ladder was something else man.

also neat that u could look back on ur ost adventures objectively. its cool that u can remember what happened so vividly and its funny to think about what sorta level u and locopoke were both at when u won that tour.

i'm sad i didn't fully immerse myself into the smog until a year or so after st5, as those last 18 months leading up to BW (and even the first year of BW) were definitely the coolest times to be a pokemon player.

nice team btw... it no doubt executes its strategy pretty smoothly. u can tell it moves in steps as it retains its momentum which all good dp offense teams do.

good to know u man

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
dope read brotha, one of my fave ladder teams of yours (and KG i think?) you left out was the suicide lead smeargle team from the Latias era.. that team ended up being used by a bunch of people to climb the ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)