The Nintendo Wi-Fi Guide & Friend Code Listing

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Guide & Friend Code topic. This topic is here to help you connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi network with your Nintendo DS or Nintendo Wii. In addition, the topic will include friend codes from people on the forums. For any help that cannot be found in this guide, please visit the Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website for further support. We at Smogon hope you enjoy this guide.

Nintendo DS

The Nintendo DS is the first successful handheld system to be able to connect to an online network and play video games with your friends near, and far away. The Nintendo DS uses a built-in wireless 802.11 B/G network card to connect to Nintendo’s online service. Nintendo’s online service is free to use. You do not have to pay a monthly fee to use it.

How to connect to the Wi-Fi Service with your Nintendo DS

You must have a broadband connection to connect online. This is a measure put into effect by Nintendo in order to prevent lag during game play. Broadband connections include Cable, DSL, T1, T3, and Satellite internet. Nintendo recommends that you do not use Satellite internet service.

There are three methods required to connect online.

1. At home, you must use a wireless LAN router. It must be a type “B” or “G” router in order to work. If not, then you cannot use the wireless router you have. In addition, some routers that are B or G types may not work at all. The Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website has information on whether your router is good or bad. It also gives you setup help.

2. You can purchase a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter at Nintendo’s Online Store or at your local electronic shops. Let’s not forget other online stores too. The USB Adapter allows people who do not have a router and can only connect online via a LAN Cable to connect online. You can connect with up to five Nintendo DS’ or Nintendo Wii consoles.

3. You can go to a local McDonalds or a hotspot to connect online. McDonalds and Nintendo setup a deal to offer free hotspots at most locations. So it will be very easy to connect at your local McDonalds. Plus, you can go to the Airport or a coffee shop and use a hotspot that’s affiliated with their store.

Once you met at least one of these requirements, you are set to go and play online. All you need to do next, is go into the Nintendo DS’ Wi-Fi settings and have it search for an access point. To get to the Wi-Fi settings menu, you must have a Wi-Fi compatible game. Some games that are Wi-Fi ready are Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Tetris DS. To tell if your game is Wi-Fi compatible, look at the box and find a light-blue symbol that says, “Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.” Use the game’s Wi-Fi menu options, and go from there. When you’re ready to play online, you’ll be assigned a Friend Code.

A Friend Code is given for each separate game. They are used to identify yourself and your friends for secure play. So, you have to enter your friend’s Friend Code in order to play with he/she. This is a safety measure though, since some games allow you to chat using the Nintendo DS’ built-in microphone. Each code is unique for each game and DS. Therefore, you must always use the same game in the same DS to keep its original Friend Code. Otherwise, the Friend Code will reset if you turn the game on in a different DS. There is a method though of transferring the original codes from system-to-system. The Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website explains it all.

Nintendo Wii

The Nintendo Wii is Nintendo’s first home console attempt using their Wi-Fi service. Just as the Nintendo DS, it has a 802.11 G/B built into it for immediate connection. There are currently no games for it (Pokémon Battle Revolution is released on June 25th), however there are features that use the service very well.

The Nintendo Wii uses the “WiiConnect24" program. It is online all day so to speak. As long as it can connect to the internet, then the Wii is using the internet as well. So, if an Animal Crossing game comes out for the Wii, then a friend of yours from Bangladesh could send you some mail while you’re asleep. As a matter of fact, your friend can already do that since it’s a basic feature of the Wii. However, the Nintendo Wii uses Friend Codes to contact with your friends.

There are four built-in WiiConnect24 programs that don’t require Friend Codes to use. Those are the Mii Channel, Weather Channel, News Channel, and the Wii Shop Channel. There are two additional programs which you download from the Wii Shop Channel. Those are the Everybody Votes Channel (Free) and the Internet Channel (Free until June). The following explains what each channel can do while the Wii is online.

Mii Channel: You will receive Miis periodically from around the world in your Mii Parade area.
Weather Channel: You will get weather reports from around the world with updates every so often.
News Channel: News will be acquired from most of the world. It is updated about every 1-2 hours.
Wii Shop Channel: You can purchase classic games and new Wii software using Wii Points. For some extra information, view Steelick’s Guide to the Virtual Console.
Everybody Votes Channel: Select a Mii, select topics, vote, predict, see results. That’s basically it.
Internet Channel: Surf the web with an Opera internet browser.

There are four ways to connect to the internet using the Nintendo Wii.

1. At home, you must use a wireless LAN router. It must be a type “B” or “G” router in order to work. If not, then you cannot use the wireless router you have. In addition, some routers that are B or G types may not work at all. The Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website has information on whether your router is good or bad. It also gives you setup help.

2. You can purchase a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter at Nintendo’s Online Store or at your local electronic shops. Let’s not forget other online stores too. The USB Adapter allows people who do not have a router and can only connect online via a LAN Cable to connect online. You can connect with up to five Nintendo DS’ or Nintendo Wii consoles.

3. You can purchase a Nintendo Wii LAN Adapter at Nintendo’s Online Store or at electronic retail stores. Attach this to your Wii, then use a LAN cable to either plug it into a LAN Hub or directly to the broadband modem.

4. You can go to a local McDonalds or a hotspot to connect online. McDonalds and Nintendo setup a deal to offer free hotspots at most locations. So it will be very easy to connect at your local McDonalds. Plus, you can go to the Airport or a coffee shop and use a hotspot that’s affiliated with their store. However, it is most unlikely that the stores will allow you to setup a TV and console just to play one game online.

Question & Answer

Q; Can I play random people online?
A: Yes.

Q: Am I limited as to who I can play with?
A: You are only limited as to how many players can be supported with online play. Otherwise, you could get your butt handed to you by a Japanese player.

Q: My Nintendo DS/Wii cannot find/access my router. Is there something wrong?
A: You should check out your router settings and see what type of connection it’s running. If it reads, “WPA,” then your system will not receive the router’s signal. You must shift the setting to WEP or manually set it up for Static IP. For help on setting up your router, please check out the Router Info page at the Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website.

Q: I’m at a college campus and with wireless internet connection. My Nintendo DS/Wii is unable to connect to the internet offered since it is secured by a WPA connection. Is there any way to get around this?
A: Yes. If you are able to plug in your computer to a LAN outlet that uses your college’s service, you can use a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter to snarf the connection and then transmit it from there. Before you run out to purchase a USB Adapter, make sure you run The Network Test and see if you can get information.

Q: My USB Adapter isn’t working. Is there something wrong with it?
A: There are three possible outcomes.
1. You are using a Mac. You can’t install the program given to you.
2. The USB Adapter needs to be updated with newer software. You can retrieve it here. This is a major note: If your USB Adapter is picking up your systems, then do not update the software.
3. Your USB Adapter needs to be replaced. There’s also a chance that you might have to find an alternate means of connecting.

Q: Is it possible that my computer could get hacked while using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Service?
A: No. However, people who use flash carts can get hacked games and cheat with them. A common hack is Tetris DS, where it’s fixed to where you only get straight lines. It’s also possible for them to crash your game by playing against hacked games.

Q: I accidently placed my game in a different DS and started playing the game. Now I’m stuck with a new friend code and I lost my record. Is there anyway to retrieve my record back?
A: No.

Q: The game is saying that the server is down. Is there anyway that I can check the status of the server?
A: Yes. Each game has its own server and the Nintendo Wi-Fi server itself. Go to the Official Nintendo Wi-Fi website to check out the status of game servers. Note that not all games can be down at certain times.

Q: If I disconnect from a game, will it count on my record?
A: Only on Mario Kart DS & Tetris DS. As of Metroid Prime: Hunters, a system was implemented to determine if disconnects were intentional or not. If a disconnect wasn’t your fault, then your record is unaffected. However, if you disconnected intentionally, a loss will be put on your record, and your reliability will be lowered. The reliability measure was put in so that people could leave incase you were playing with a poor sport.

Submitting Friend Codes

To submit a your Friend Codes, this include your Wii Console ID too, send a Private Message to Sonuis with your game’s Friend Code, along with the nickname you’ve given in your game. For example... Mario Kart DS (Sonuis) [Friend code here]. Sonuis will then update the list with your name and code. If you have questions or if you would like to discuss Wi-Fi games, feel free to do so. The Smogon Chat Room is a great place to find people who would like to play online.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonuis
Nintendo Wii (Sero)
0387-5892-7087-1832

Tetris DS (Sero)

Metroid Prime: Hunters (Sero)

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Sero in Takton)
3780-5182-0622

RougeSoul
Mario Kart DS (Necrowolf)

leafgreen386
Mario Kard DS

Dan Dan
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Dan Dan in Utopia)
3436-9370-7748

Mario Kart DS (Dan Dan)

Nintendo Wii
3641-5387-6980-0804

zerowing
Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Nintendo Wii
2715-7230-0143-3608

Michael Jackson

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Sprit Caller
3866-4153-6190

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
1461-2414-8109

Mario Kart DS

Tony Hawk's American Sk8land

Diddy Kong Racing DS

PikaPete
Nintendo Wii (PikaPete)
4956-5101-1636-7943

Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (?)
3093-3581-5255

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Pete in Poole)
2620-9117-5291

Mario Kart DS (?)

massi4h
Tetris DS (massi4h)

3. You can go to a local McDonalds or a hotspot to connect online. McDonalds and Nintendo setup a deal to offer free hotspots at most locations. So it will be very easy to connect at your local McDonalds. Plus, you can go to the Airport or a coffee shop and use a hotspot that’s affiliated with their store.
I heard this before but never asked. How is McDonalds of all places a WiFi hotspot? :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)