The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

I'm considering trading everything off of my SS over to Platinum and starting a mono-ice team. I'd be doing it the "breed, trade eggs over, hatch eggs, pwn everything" way.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that. I'm mostly just considering whether or not I'm going to breed for awesomeness (egg moves, mostly) or not. To cheat more, or to cheat less, that is the question...

mono-Bug in Sapphire has been somewhat of a challenge, but it's doable.

Important battles...

Roxanne - ***** (This is difficulty rating)
The only things that worked on my team were a Surskit (bubblewand) with Bubble and Spinarak (lil'Creep) with Night Shade. Beautifly would make this easier.

Brawly - ***
Bug resists Fighting, but it also goes the other way. Won with lil'Creep's Night Shade and 4x resistance to Fighting attacks)

Rival Battle (below Mauville) - *
bubblewand > Numel
lil'Creep > Grovyle + Wailmer

Wattson - ****
Shock Wave 2HKO's all, except for blarg (Shedinja). But it dies to confusion hax too easily. Again, BigCreeper (now Araidos) pulls me through.

Team Aqua, 1st time - *****
Golbat can KO everything with Wing Attack.

Flannery - *****
This was a toughie. bubblewand Bubblebeam'd the Slugmas, and was roasted by Torkoal. Soon after, Lolbeat (my Volbeat) fell. Sent BigCreeper out. The first Overheat missed and I got in a lucky poisoning from Poison Sting, but then it took the last two like a champ (due to SpAtk drops). I only had blarg left, but it couldn't do a thing because 1) Mine is female, and 2) It ran out of Overheat PP, it's only super-effective attack. Torkoal eventually died to poison. In conclusion... Shedinja > Flannery

Norman - *
This is how Lolbeat got it's name. With Toxic assistance from blarg, it swept through the whole team with +6 Shock Waves.

Winona - **
Thought this would be hard, but it wasn't because of squish. squish (Anorith at the time) promptly squished Swellow and Pelipper with Rock Tomb. Skarmory fell to a swift Thunderbolt by Lolbeat, and Altaria fell to an Ice Beam by bubblewand.

Tate&Liza - **
Lolbeat and BigCreeper double Signal Beam'd Solrock, but then BigCreeper got critted with Psychic. Then Lunatone ate a Shadow Ball from blarg.

Team Aqua 2 - ***
Crobat is tough, but was eventually squished.

Kyogre/Wallace - *
blarg is too good with Wonder Guard XD

Team after Wallace -
BigCreeper (Araidos) lv44
-Signal Beam
-Giga Drain
-Night Shade
-Fury Swipes

squish (Armaldo) lv41
-Earthquake
-Ancientpower
-Strength
-Brick Break

Lolbeat (Volbeat), lv40
-Tail Glow
-Protect
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam

bubblewand (Masquerain) lv 40
-Bubblebeam
-Stun Spore
-Gust
-Ice Beam

blarg (Shedinja) lv 42
-Confuse Ray
-Shadow Ball
-Fury Cutter
-Toxic

E4?...
Sydney - Should be easy, **
Phoebe - Won't like the ghosts at all, ****
Glacia - Shedinja is useless, , highly dependant on Lolbeat to take out the seals and squish does his thing to the Glalies. Watch out for hail. ****
Drake - This will be a test for bubblewand. *****
Steven - Shedinja may be able to wall Aggron and Metagross, can't ToxIc much, over half his team has a Rock move. *****

How about Steel in R/B/Y. Sure it didn't exist back then, but having 6 Magnetons wont be so bad... :P

Oh, and mono dark ? Trade those Evees to G/S/C (Umbreon). Although you can't trade em back.

Starting a mono-dragon type run in Soulsilver >=). Trading over 6 eggs :). Should be fun, easy but most of all - enjoyable :)

Final team (hopefully)
-Garchomp
-Dragonite
-Salamence
-Altaria
-Flygon
-Kingdra

:D

My final team for my Dark run of Saphire (in the order I caught them):

Mightyena - Lv. 46 (M)
Bite/Strength/Rock Smash/Howl
*The reason I could do this run without trading.

Sableye - Lv. 48 (F)
Shadow Ball/Brick Break/Fake Out/Confuse Ray
*Surprisingly good especially with Fake Out.

Cacturne - Lv. 45 (F)
Faint Attack/Giga Drain/Cut/Leech Seed
*Leech Seed helped me stall many times.

Crawdaunt - Lv. 38 (M)
Surf/Bubblebeam/Taunt/Knock Off
*Mainly used as death fodder once I got Sharpedo.

Absol - Lv. 47 (F)
Bite/Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/Perish Song
*No Physical attacks but it was Timid and it worked. Learned Perish Song in the battle against Drake.

Sharpedo - Lv. 46 (F)
Surf/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Beam
*Better than Crawdaunt because it learns a good Dark attack and has better SpAtk.

Major Events:

Rival Battle 1:
Treecko sweeps.

Catch Pochyena.

Roxanne:
I only had Pochyena at this point but I think it had Bite. It was still a tough fight.

Catch Sableye.

Brawly:
I was only able to do this right now because I got Sableye. Otherwise, I would have to skip it or power level.

Rival Battle 2:
Don't remember much but it was pretty easy. Sableye takes down Combusken.

Wally Battle 1:
Mightyena OHKOs Ralts as usual.

Watson:
Mightyena uses Rock Smash on his Magnemite/ton. Sableye takes down his Voltorb. Still a hard fight.

Flanery:
I don't think I had any strategy what-so-ever.

Caught Cacnea.

Norman:
Sableye takes down most of his Pokemon. I might have had Cacnea use Leech Seed at some point.

Catch Corphish.

Rival Battle 3:
Sableye takes down Combusken.

Catch Absol.

Winona:
I taught Absol Thunderbolt which helped imensely with Skarmory and Pelipper. I had to Intimidate Altaria a bunch of times, though.

Rival Battle 4:
Absol takes down Swellow. Sableye takes down Combusken.

Catch Sharpedo.

Tate & Liza:
All of my Pokemon could hit them SE with all their STABs so I knew it would be easy. Sableye uses Fake Out on Lunatone and it and Sharpedo end up KOing it with 2 Surfs and a Faint Attack. Solrock went down shortly afterwards.

Beat Kyogre.

Wallace:
Absol takes down Gyarados and Caturne takes down Whiscash. Sableye ended up taking out Milotic with some Leech Seed support (it could actually survive 2 Surfs with Leech Seed).

Wally Battle 2:
Absol Fire Blasts Magneton and that's all I really remember.

Sidney:
Sableye takes out most of his Pokemon with Brick Break. Crawdaunt Taunts Shiftry which doesn't really help. Absol takes down Sharpedo.

Phoebe:
All my Pokemon hit hers SE besides her Sableye so it wasn't hard.

Glacia:
Sableye and Absol used Brick Break and Fire Blast against her Glalies, respectively. I had to stall Hail out against her Walrein and got off a few Giga Drains with Cacturne as its attacks missed.

Drake:
I just taught Ice Beam to Sharpedo and I used that against most of his Pokemon. I had to Intimidate his Salamence a few times first, though, because it was faster than Sharpedo.

Steven:
Absol takes out Skarmory, Sableye takes out Claydol, Aggron, and Cradilly, and Sharpedo takes out Armaldo. I ended up stalling Cradilly out of its moves because I healed the rest of my Pokemon before Metagross and I ran out of Brick Breaks. I had to stall Metagross out of its Meteor Mashes and Earthquakes because it was faster than all of my Pokemon besides Sharpedo. I ended up taking it out with Perish Song.

My two roommates and I are all doing a monotype playthough on HGSS at the same time, we randomly generated types for us to use throughout the game (I got ground, my roommates got grass and ice) and we are going to battle at certain points in the game.

To make it a little easier to start with, we decided to start with one level 5 pokemon of our choice from our respective type. (I chose Baltoy) When we battle, we will go on battle revolution to level everything off and let the best team win.

I'm pretty pumped about this playthrough even though I have a type disadvantage against both of my roommates. I guess this will be my chance to show that I'm truly the best player in the house. xD

So what do you guys think? Is it a good idea? any suggestions on how to make it better? Were focusing on building our teams in game so any suggestions along those lines would be great.

Are you allowed to use Nidoran since it will eventually evolve into a Ground-type? That should help against the Grass one. Your best bet for a team would probably be Baltoy/Geodude or Larvitar/Nidoran/Swinub/Phanpy/Gligar

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Probably going to start one of these, though I can't decide on what, HeartGold or Platinum.

Just randomly gen'd my type, and got 7 out of 17. Poison. Which isn't that bad, considering when you look at it the other way I get Bug. Quite a few of my favourite pokemon are Poison type actually. I'm going for the breed (read: sav) eggs, hatch them in and hopefully end up with (at the end)

Weezing (Phys. Wall) [Not sure about a name yet, Purple Stain perhaps]
Venusaur (Spec. Sweeper) [VitaminV]
Toxicroak (Phys. Sweeper) [Kermit/Limelight]
Roserade (Utility/Spec. Attacker) [Majora (it seriously looks like a mask to me), though that's also my Metagross' name, so I'd like another]
?
?

Will probably end up going Crobat/Tentacruel for the utility of Surf and Fly. (Though I could have Nidoking...).

Would an NP MixCroak work? Sort of like NP Ape, but worse.

Crobat's nick will be Hysteria or Blackout, and Tentacruel's will be Sylux.

not quite a mono type run, but i'm doing a SS starter only run....with no johto starters because they lame...

piplup, mudkip, charmander, chimchar, treecko and bulbasaur. i smell pwnage.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mono-Ice isn't doing too bad in Platinum, thanks to trading and a Chople Berry.

Traded Sneasel @ King's Rock
Level 39
Keen Eye
Jolly :D
-Shadow Claw
-Poison Jab
-Ice Punch
-Faint Attack

Glaceon @ Wise Glasses
Level 39
Snow Cloak
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam
-Ice Shard
-Water Pulse

Traded Cloyster @ Shell Bell
Level 37
Shell Armor
Serious
-Ice Shard
-Surf
-Spikes
-Explosion

Cloyster is the only reason I beat the Fighting gym. That one was tough... good thing Glaceon outsped Machoke in the end. So far, Glaceon, obtained in Hearthome City, is by far the strongest, kicking ass everywhere, and Sneasel (who I need to trade a Razor Claw over soon for) is second. Cloyster is really helpful though. I'll be catching a Snover, Swinub, and female Snorunt once I can.

@Vratix- I picked up wooper after violet city but i won't run into Gligar for awhile but he would be a good pokemon for my team

@DDRMaster- We decided as long as the final form has a part ground type it was fair so i picked up Nidoran male outside of Goldenrod City which will help a lot against my roommate who is running grass. I'm definitely getting swinub, because he will do well against grass and since my roommate who is playing ice picked Snover (interesting choice in my opinion) and I think swinub/piloswine/mamoswine will like the hail.

This is my team so far (After beating Whitney in Goldenrod)

-Baltoy Lvl 19.
-Geodude Lvl 21.
-Onix Lvl 16.
-Wooper Lvl 17.
-Nidorino Lvl 19.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
@Vratix- I picked up wooper after violet city but i won't run into Gligar for awhile but he would be a good pokemon for my team

@DDRMaster- We decided as long as the final form has a part ground type it was fair so i picked up Nidoran male outside of Goldenrod City which will help a lot against my roommate who is running grass. I'm definitely getting swinub, because he will do well against grass and since my roommate who is playing ice picked Snover (interesting choice in my opinion) and I think swinub/piloswine/mamoswine will like the hail.

This is my team so far (After beating Whitney in Goldenrod)

-Baltoy Lvl 19.
-Geodude Lvl 21. (May replace with larvatar after I get to the safari zone)
-Onix Lvl 16.
-Wooper Lvl 17.
-Nidorino Lvl 19.
Surely Larvitar wouldn't be allowed as TTar is Rock/Dark?

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
Just a quick bump update, for mono-poison on HG.

Pokes are lvl 7-9 just out of Violet City.

Bulbasaur took out Falkner's Pidgey, then Pidgeotto took out Budew, Zubat, Croagunk and Koffing (who did get a burn on it) before Bulbasaur got a Leaf Storm crit and took it out. I'm just grinding up to around lvl 15, and Budew got killed by a Zubat due to 4 fusionhaxes in a row. (Which when I sent in Tentacool turned into 6).
1.5625% chance.

Golem is about the most pro pokemon ever. Ditching geodude for Larvitar is tantamount to "deciding to become" a homosexual

I am doing this with my Heartgold. I'm still on my first playthrough (been a bit lazy). I have a mono fire team made up of random shinies I had lying around at the time I got Heartgold. Team is doing OK so far, I have gotten the 8 badges without any major trouble.

~Charizard
~Rapidash
~Ninetales
~Houndoom
~Skarmory (HM Slave 1)
~Gyarados (HM Slave 2)

Golem is about the most pro pokemon ever. Ditching geodude for Larvitar is tantamount to "deciding to become" a homosexual
Don't worry Golem is on my team. We decided to have our first battle after we get our 8th badge in Blackthorn City. I beat Clair tonight and here is my lineup for the first battle.

Golem Lvl. 39
-Explosion
-Earthquake
-Rock Throw
-Rock Polish

Claydol Lvl. 42
-AncientPower
-Psybeam
-Rapid Spin
-Sandstorm

Steelix Lvl. 31
-Sandstorm
-Iron Tail
-Rock Throw
-Rock Polish

Nidoking Lvl. 43
-Earth Power
-Poison Jab
-Toxic Spikes
-Fire Blast

Quagsire Lvl. 40
-Yawn
-Focus Punch
-Earthquake
-Waterfall

Swinub Lvl. 32
-Ice Shard
-Take Down
-Mud Bomb
-Endure

I feel fairly good about my lineup, I like my Nidoking and Quagsire movesets, but the other ones are pretty vanilla. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I haven't been to kanto yet so all pokemon/tm's that are attainable there are off limits to me for this battle.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll let you guys know how the battle's go once they happen (probably over the weekend.)

Gligar/gliscor is pretty pro
Quagsire is pretty beast against anything that isn't a grass type
This makes me facepalm since he said his roommates are running grass and ice. The only thing I would recommend at this point would be Hippowdon for auto Sandstorm since it can only benefit you for the most part (once you get the national dex or whatever).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)