The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weddle signing is easily the best thing to come out of this offseason for the Ravens (after Flacco restructure, shoutout to Killah the MLP for thinking in November the Ravens would release and replace him :toast:). It'll be refreshing to have another Pro Bowl Safety in centerfield for the next few years, Ed Reed was definitely missed
whoa whoa whoa I said should not would

:^)

Martellus Bennett to the Pats. If he turns out to be one of New England's successful reclamation projects, then they've got the best TE duo in the league. If not, then he just goes by the wayside and joins former greats like Haynesworth and Ochocinco who have minimal impact on the team. Win-win.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The pats need WR help though, so Bennett is excellent but I don't see how he's going to fit into the offense. A guy like that can be a TE1 on most teams, but Gronk is going to eat up most of the TE targets so he'll be minimally used. Seems like a waste to me, they probably could have made better use out of Mike Wallace

Wallace doesn't fit their short, precision passing offense. Wallace going to New England would just have been a repeat situation of Miami and Minny.

The Pats will somehow make a star out of forgotten slot man Chris Hogan if/when Edelman and Amendola suffer their annual injuries. You heard it here first

Wallace doesn't fit their short, precision passing offense. Wallace going to New England would just have been a repeat situation of Miami and Minny.

The Pats will somehow make a star out of forgotten slot man Chris Hogan if/when Edelman and Amendola suffer their annual injuries. You heard it here first
Ppl have been saying that he would be WW3.0 since the move, get with the times :^)

(Also worth noting Edelman is almost 30, people seem to forget that because he only did well after WW1.0 left)

Martellus Bennett to the Pats. If he turns out to be one of New England's successful reclamation projects, then they've got the best TE duo in the league. If not, then he just goes by the wayside and joins former greats like Haynesworth and Ochocinco who have minimal impact on the team. Win-win.
I could suit up for the pats and Gronk and I could be the best TE duo in the league lmao, Gronk is worth double any TE not in the top 5 ez

still a good move and fit, Marty B isn't a stud but he's probably a top 15 TE still and will be a solid #3 option in the passing game. he should have been pursued by more teams probably (I wanted the Falcons to go after him last offseason ugh)

The pats need WR help though, so Bennett is excellent but I don't see how he's going to fit into the offense. A guy like that can be a TE1 on most teams, but Gronk is going to eat up most of the TE targets so he'll be minimally used. Seems like a waste to me, they probably could have made better use out of Mike Wallace
While he obviously isn't a direct Hernandez replacement, Bennett's going to allow us to roll out more two TE sets, so he'll definitely get his fair share of touches assuming he starts off well and gains Brady's trust as soon as possible. If they can get the line sorted out, then you've got TB12 throwing the ball to Edelman, Amendola/Martin/Hogan as the 2 WR, Gronk, Bennett, and Lewis out of the backfield. I don't think Tom's had weapons like that since Moss left.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't understand why touchbacks out to the 25 was necessary, if they're trying to discourage teams from running kicks back why don't they just take away the return altogether? Offenses already have an advantage, and now they get an extra 5 yards to start their drives

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Pretty sure the average return is inside the 25 anyway, kickers are just gonna boot it high and land it between the 5 and endzone so the opposing team is forced to return it. They're basically penalizing touchbacks five yards, which is exactly how you don't reduce the number of kickoff returns by disincentivizing the kicker from trying to get a touchback.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
This seems to contradict the rule change from a year or two ago where they moved the kicking point to the 35...

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I don't understand why touchbacks out to the 25 was necessary, if they're trying to discourage teams from running kicks back why don't they just take away the return altogether? Offenses already have an advantage, and now they get an extra 5 yards to start their drives
Less about game balance more about that whole CTE thing...

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Less about game balance more about that whole CTE thing...
CTE is solved by eliminating kickoffs.

Elimintating kickoffs is a radical step that is probably not going to fly well with the fans or owners. It's a specialty position that's designed for big plays to happen. Unfortunately, Kickers have a lot of control, and penalizing touchbacks just encourages them to not kick into the end zone, as @Mr. E explained.

The rule change I'm most looking into is the automatic ejection rule. In many ways, it's a good thing, and it's smart that they applied it to unsportsmanlike conduct and not personal fouls, which can happen in the heat of the moment and usually are unintentional. Notably, Aqib Talib would've been ejected in the 3rd qtr of super bowl 50 this year. I remember when it happened because the rumors of the rule change were flying the week before the game.

"...to abolish any and all 'chop' style blocks." Chop blocks are a really big deal, as its something that's not very well enforced at the moment, especially at the WR position. If this is enforced, we will see changes similar to when the hands to the face rules became more enforced from the defensive line.

IR Boomerang really isn't a thing anymore. All players can return from IR after 6 weeks, which is a huge step forward for many players who had the ability to come back before they could.

Teams are also now being flagged for delay of game if they attempt to call a timeout illegally.

Receivers are also no longer penalized yardage for going out of bounds on their own power, coming back in, and making first contact with the ball. The penalty is just loss of down. This is actually a rather dumb change to me, since receivers can cause what are basically incompletions by just going out of bounds if they have no choice and an interception is imminent. This case is rather arbitrary, however.

Actually some decent rule changes this year. The kickoffs and automatic ejection are both experimental 1-year rule changes, which is a good thing since those are the ones whose effects are the most unclear. Looking forward to it.

CTE is solved by eliminating kickoffs.

Elimintating kickoffs is a radical step that is probably not going to fly well with the fans or owners.
Eliminating kickoffs is a radical step that will not sit well with the TV networks. That's 8-10 commercial breaks a game they would be missing out on!

Moving touchbacks to the 25 de-incentives running it out from the end zone (at a guess, running it out from more than one or two yards deep in the end zone had minimal expected value gained in field position from the 20, which will now be a net negative) which encourages more touchbacks. Kicking coaches will probably try to start attempting shorter kickoffs and the rule could indeed lead to more returns, but that's why it is a one year trial. I'm just interested in seeing if it will have any significant impact on points scored or yardage totals.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Nah you guys misunderstand. This isn't a step forward against CTE at all. That issue is definitively NOT solved by eliminating kickoffs. This rule change is just something that LOOKS like the NFLs doing something about it without having to commit to actually doing anything about it.

Also: what killah said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)