The Everything NHL Thread

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Up next on Snobalt's NHL reactions, we have: when Tanner Glass didn't make the final NYR roster.

I still can't believe he lasted longer in camp than Jensen and Hrivík.

So it's official. Edmonton did the thing and traded Yakupov to St. Louis for a cond. 3rd and an ECHL-level prospect. That part doesn't surprise me; his potential was wasted away when management and coaching staff parked him on the 4th line and expected him to maintain his OHL scoring rate. I wish Nail nothing but the best, please light the league on fire :[ Friedman's suggesting they're going to sign Kris Russell to a 3.1M/1y contract tomorrow. That scares me a lot: statistically, Russell performs as a #7/depth defenceman. Fucking bonkers that the Oilers are allowed to be so incompetent for so long.

I have three thoughts:
  1. How good is either Nolan Patrick or Timothy Liljigren going to look in an Oilers uniform?
  2. Once their ELC is up, where does Edmonton trade the aforementioned Patrick / Liljigren?
  3. Starting to think I need to find a new team to cheer for. 11 years of effective torture. I'm done. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Russell is going to be fine, Edmonton has at worst 3 LHDs better than him (Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, potentially Nurse) so he shouldn't see anything higher than the bottom pairing, which means he'll do fine. No need to panic, Sabres have Cody Franson at a slightly higher AAV for one more season, imagine that :D

1. Nolan Patrick projects like a slightly worse RNH from what I've heard. Liljegren would look great in an Oilers sweater, just imagine a top pairing of Klefbom-Liljegren ;)
2. That's not how it works, Oilers will keep the new draft picks and trade away guys like Klefbom and Draisaitl
3. You could have jumped ship during any of the 10 years and NOW is when you start thinking about jumping the ship? wtf?

Once again, what is wrong with performing as a depth defenseman when that's exactly what you are? It's not like you're going to have Josh Gorges on your top pairing so stop whining, thanks.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah the problem with Russell was never that he is who he is, and he is bad make no mistake, it was that the rumours were going for a 4 year term. That's what would have been crippling.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So it's official. Edmonton did the thing and traded Yakupov to St. Louis for a cond. 3rd and an ECHL-level prospect. That part doesn't surprise me; his potential was wasted away when management and coaching staff parked him on the 4th line and expected him to maintain his OHL scoring rate. I wish Nail nothing but the best, please light the league on fire :[ Friedman's suggesting they're going to sign Kris Russell to a 3.1M/1y contract tomorrow. That scares me a lot: statistically, Russell performs as a #7/depth defenceman. Fucking bonkers that the Oilers are allowed to be so incompetent for so long.

I have three thoughts:
  1. How good is either Nolan Patrick or Timothy Liljigren going to look in an Oilers uniform?
  2. Once their ELC is up, where does Edmonton trade the aforementioned Patrick / Liljigren?
  3. Starting to think I need to find a new team to cheer for. 11 years of effective torture. I'm done. Any suggestions?
Try the Bruins, aka the other team that Chiarelli did everything he could to ruin.
Seguin for Eriksson. Hamilton for the pick that gave us Senyshyn (not Barzal). (Whoops; I thought Chiarelli did that one. Regardless, it was an awful trade.) Give me a fucking break.

Last edited:
Chiarelli didn't make the Dougie Hamilton trade. That was Sweeney. Fun fact: Edmonton offered more for Hamilton than Calgary did but Sweeney wanted Nurse, the 16th, and 33rd.

Russell is going to be fine, Edmonton has at worst 3 LHDs better than him (Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, potentially Nurse) so he shouldn't see anything higher than the bottom pairing, which means he'll do fine. No need to panic, Sabres have Cody Franson at a slightly higher AAV for one more season, imagine that :D

1. Nolan Patrick projects like a slightly worse RNH from what I've heard. Liljegren would look great in an Oilers sweater, just imagine a top pairing of Klefbom-Liljegren ;)
2. That's not how it works, Oilers will keep the new draft picks and trade away guys like Klefbom and Draisaitl
3. You could have jumped ship during any of the 10 years and NOW is when you start thinking about jumping the ship? wtf?

Once again, what is wrong with performing as a depth defenseman when that's exactly what you are? It's not like you're going to have Josh Gorges on your top pairing so stop whining, thanks.
That's the thing though: Edmonton has 3, maybe 4, LHD that are better than him. Why throw 3.1M away for a year when you can use that money on a guy like Trouba or give Wisnewski a cheaper contract. Tampa dropped him in order to afford Kucherov, not cause he had a bad camp. I'd honestly rather Franson for a year over Russell for a year: Edmonton has one RHD in Larsson, and neither Fayne nor Gryba should be playing the middle pair.

Klefbom-Liljigren would be dirty as hell. I don't want the Oilers picking in and around where he'd be available unless they just miss playoffs and fluke into the #2 pick. Should still trade it though.

I reckon RNH gets traded before Draisaitl, but I'd rather keep both and push Nugent-Hopkins to the wing once Pouliot's contract expires or if Vegas picks him up in June.

The first 3 years after the 06 cup run can be excused, but the middle years of the Oilers seemingly unending rebuild I can't explain. Lucking into McDavid kinda sucked me back in. Had they been picking in the 3-5 range I wouldn't be invested in them at all anymore.

Speaking of good-looking RHD prospects in this upcoming draft, Cal Foote looks like he's going to have a career. This year doesn't look to be insanely deep but its already looking better than last year's draft.

Last edited:
2 days before the first game, Ristolainen finally signs. I wonder what the hold up was if it ended up at 5.4Mx6y. But oh well, I'm just happy that it's over.

I swear if any of y'all are going to go all "well actually..." on me....

Legs / knees / ankles aren't supposed to bend like that. Looks haggard. Could be out a month+ if it turns out to be a break. Terrible for the game. Not to mention that Okposo is missing your guys' first game (at least).

God that just blows the Atlantic wide open for the first bit of the season. Huberdeau (FLA), MacArthur (OTT), half of the Bruins (Bergeron, McQuaid, Miller), and now Eichel. Considering Crosby's concussion and the inevitability that someone else gets hurt, the East is basically up for grabs.

Eichel-less Sabres are still better than the Leafs tho :P

And if it's just for 2 months, I won't lose that much sleep over a center spine that looks like this: ROR-Reinhart-Larsson-Girgensons. PLAYOFFS DREAM OFFICIALLY NOT DED

Empress

Auston. Fucking. Matthews. This'll be a debut to remember o_o
EDIT: Are you kidding me? 4 goals in <2 periods?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)