the dlc/microtransaction/lootbox fuckfest is the greatest thing to happen to gaming

To some extent, but there is one large, critical difference in that there's an open market for the cards themselves. If I want a specific card like a Charizard or w/e, I can go on the internet and buy one for $5 or whatever. afaik in a lot of games like these, if you want something specific, your only choice is to gamble for it.
In TCGs, sure. In CCGs like Hearthstone/Shadowverse? No.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There are still pretty good AAA titles out there, and amongst the indie titles there's a huge amount od shovelware. However, the main problem resides in customers still paying those abusive companies and buying their products. At least loot boxes are gonna be regulated soon as gambling, if what they say is true. I for one would prefer LoL's method on every single game: pay exactly what you want. Of course, less millions for those poor publishers, but they'll live.

Meanwhile, support indie games (like mine :^))

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
There are still pretty good AAA titles out there, and amongst the indie titles there's a huge amount od shovelware. However, the main problem resides in customers still paying those abusive companies and buying their products. At least loot boxes are gonna be regulated soon as gambling, if what they say is true. I for one would prefer LoL's method on every single game: pay exactly what you want. Of course, less millions for those poor publishers, but they'll live.

Meanwhile, support indie games (like mine :^))
Oh, don't worry. If Star Wars Battlefront 2's sales are anything to go off of, I think people are finally starting to catch on to the scam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sical-sales-down-60-per-cent-on-battlefront-1

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Here's a little something for the people who still don't think lootboxes are gambling. Cough cough Tera Melos cough cough

In other news, EA's stock has dropped by 11%, or around 6 billion dollars. Even those with just a basic knowledge of economics know this isn't a loss to take lightly.

http://host.madison.com/business/in...cle_f65c99f1-bd36-57ca-968b-afb548672140.html

Please don't put words in my mouth

Of everyone on this site you're the last one I want to use in metaphors that involve my mouth.

Please don't tag me again, in anything, for that matter.

i'm not a console gamer, i just have my 3ds and play games on my iphone. so my rule for mobile games i genuinely enjoy are that i'd only pay the value of what i think the game is worth (so generally $10-$20). i don't mind paying for extras especially in mobile games where it's free to start, but now EA is trying to get players to drop anywhere between $20-$300 for a single card in-game which is absolutely ridiculous. and to me, the stuff they do on consoles should be criminal. you have to drop like $60 for the game and then constantly pay more money just to play one of the literal features you're paying for in the game.

if you're paying for a game, you should 100% be able to do whatever in that game. asking people to pay additional money in the game in order to unlock certain features and functionalities is ridiculous lmao... i can see how indie games have benefited from this, since people just want to play a damn game and not basically partake in pseudo-gambling.
I agree, but now the corporate answer as to "why" is "it's not enough to make a return on investment without extra purchases". They do this on console because the AAA console games have a marketing budget that eclipses the actual game's budget, so having lootboxes that almost force pay-to-win are put in to make all that back.
And then there's this lovely statement from an EA exec where they want to make the game "fair" for those who have more money than time, and vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)