ORAS UU The Cretaceous Team

Note that this team has absolutely nothing to do with dinosaur Pokemon. No Mega Aeros or Tyrantrums here. It's just the team that I came up with 3 days before Sun and Moon, just like how the Cretaceous period was the last era of the dinosaurs before the ice age.

I built this team after using a whole bunch of teams from this RMT thread, and having my rating lowered from the high 1300s to the mid 1200s, so suffice to say it was rather unsuccessful. Therefore I decided to make this in hopes to help people's ratings instead of reducing them, with a team that some may consider cookie-cutter, but I find it relatively effective. Hey, why fix something if it ain't broke?

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Synthesis
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam

This was the starting point when I was building the team. Besides Pangoro and Kingdra, Shaymin is another Pokemon I love using. I decided to go with the simple life orb set, with Seed Flare for a powerful STAB, Synthesis for sustain, and Earth Power for coverage. I was really debating between Dazzling Gleam and Psychic, coming to the conclusion that I did not want to be absolutely wrecked by Hydreigon, which plagues today's meta (I really love it though), and Shaymin's surprising amount of bulk can take a non-crit Fire Blast from Scarf Hydreigon even after one Life Orb hit or after coming in on Stealth Rocks. Though the subsequent Life Orb hit will kill this adorable thing.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Ahhh... Good ol' reliable Scarf Chandy. I put this on the team with Darmanitan in mind, though it's not exactly a full counter, being unable to outspeed it and has nothing that OHKOs it, so the shofu counter is further along in the picks. I still like Scarf Chandy though. It's got some good speed, and this one speed-ties with another popular scarfer, Gardevoir (Shoutouts to Airalin), and actually has a means in OHKOing it as well. Hell, Ghost STAB is really powerful in this tier, hitting a lot of Pokes for good neutral damage. Fire Blast over Flamethrower obviously for the damage, but you can run Flamethrower if you're THAT paranoid about missing. Energy Ball can absolutely do a number on water types that think that it's ok to switch in on you, save Tentacruel. Trick for the utility, if your opponent has a set-up sweeper or whatever, use it to disrupt them, and then anticipate the switch. It can be absolutely hilarious imagining your opponent's face when they realise they're choiced into Dragon Dance.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Ass Vest Conk has gotten really popular in these past few weeks, and for good reason. This thing is a check to Hydreigon, and to some extent Celebi. It's a counter (kinda?) to Crocune, and can hit back harder when statused. This Conk has been made to eat up special hits for days, it's already good HP stat helped along by a boosted Special Defense and slightly boosted Defense, and hits like a truck with a monstrous attack stat of 416. Drain Punch provides some good damage while sustaining Conk, Knock Off is a really safe move that is also good utility, and Mach Punch cleans up opponents at low health. Thunder Punch is used over Ice Punch, as the only thing that gives us an advantage over is Gligar, and it doesn't hit most other bulky grounds for that much with Ice Punch, while Thunder Punch does a number on a lot of the water types that are in the tier, especially Gyarados.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Explosion

Bronzong is quickly becoming one of my favourite Pokemon to use, with it's good bulk, and it's abilities that basically takes away one of it's weaknesses. I added it onto the team so I wouldn't be run over by Crobat, and I wouldn't need to switch Shaymin in on every Earthquake. The Bronzong I use here is a utility max defense set, with Gyro Ball as a STAB move that will wreck most Pokemon out there that don't resist it, Stealth Rock because come the freak on it's STEALTH ROCKS, Toxic to wear down tanks that give you trouble, and Explosion because

And it gives a final burst of damage when you need it. Tick tick boom indeed.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

This thing always, ALWAYS puts in SOME kind of damage. It can cripple a tank at worst, and completely sweep at best. This takes care of Darmanitan, Entei, basically A LOT of Pokemon in the tier... Under a Rain Dance, which is why I have it here. The only thing this thing has a problem against is Mega Abomasnow, which we barely see anyway. Earthquake and Waterfall for some powerful-ass STAB, and Ice Punch for the coverage when you need it, like against Mega Sceptile switching in (for whatever reason). It's also good to know, and for me to remind you that Waterfall does more damage than Earthquake under rain. Keep that in mind. That may mean the difference between a kill and a near-kill that will cause frustration.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Finally, for the hazard control and utility, I have Tentacruel. I originally had Toxicroak here to deal with bulky waters, then I realised Shaymin, and Energy Ball on Chandy, and then Conk, and then I decided that I didn't really need it. Hazard control came to mind after taking Sticky Webs Galvantula into account, as the speed drop seemed disastrous to me when building this team. Acid Spray is a move with good utility, Scald because it's the best move in the game, Rapid Spin to clear pesky hazards, and Toxic Spikes as having Toxic on the entire opponent's team can actually be a real advantage for you.

And that's the team! I haven't really tested it out that much, but I have found it a great team to use and it's bringing my points back up as we speak. If you have any problems with it, or feel that it can be improved in certain ways, feel free to leave it in the comments below. That's all for now, and goooooooooooooooooooood night everybody!

The Team (for easy copy-paste purposes)
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Synthesis
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Explosion

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Any team with a conk on it is worth a rate imo, anyways hey man I wanted to analyse your team and see if I could maybe tweak it a bit. I noticed you were using an odd combination of spread to mon so that's where I'll start.

-First thing that caught my eye was you're using life orb shaymin who as a mon only has the niche of specs really going for it since celebi does everything else a lot better however I also noticed you lacked an honest to god way of dealing with a dreigon:
----------->

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- U-turn / trick
- Moonblast
- Psychic / trick
- Energy Ball

• With a whimsicott and a bronzong on your team hydreigon will have a hard time using its stabs and will have to focus on either fire blast or u-turn both of which arent really a problem for your cruel or pert so this fits a lot better. This sets nice in the fact you can bluff your encore and instead deliver a strong hitting moonblast or kill a crobat on switch in which is nice. This will offer you a decent speed presence for your team and the choice to use trick is up to you since you already have a scarf trick chandelure.
  • edit: Tbh if you dont mind giving up the power you could honestly just put a standard pixie plate whimsicot here and you'd have no problems at all with gyarados idk why I didnt think of this, but ye you could just do that:
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

-After that I noticed you have a bronzong and an AV conk which is a tad bit redundant and we can instead look for a win condition in this pair like so:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

• BU conk will let you pressure teams a lot more since you have multiple switch ins to fairy mons in the forms of bronzong and tentacruel so you can take your time in knocking off a cleric sylveon then wearing it down with spikes and rocks.
-Next thing I want to do is optimize your zong spread since a straight physically defensive zong doesnt do much:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

• This spread will allow you to check specs sylveon a lot better while still carrying decent physical bulk. You need protect on this kind of team seeing as you already have pursuit bait in the form of chandelure so you want to at least have a way of wearing down mons or checking for what certain mons lock themselves into. This allows you to see what an entei is doing or krook doesn't have to be a complete loss of mon since you can check if he pursuits then toxic it so you at least trade mons by performing a tect+gyro+toxic damage routine. To be clear zong is what holds your team together you really don't want to lose this thing in most games.
-Last change I wanted to do was make tentacruel a little better like so:

EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

• With this spread you out speed chandelure and more importantly mamoswine which if given a chance to have a free attack versus your team you're in for some crap. This will at least allow you to kill an already weakened mamoswine, the haze is for gyarados which I have no idea how you were dealing with before since the thing beats you the second it dragon danced on your former team and it had several mons it could DD mon (and still does). The haze at least lessens the amount of chances it gets to boost on your team and will allow you to revenge it with something else if possible.
Overall I wish I could make a change to your team that would fix a lot of issues in one go but the thing is if I try to fix your gyara issue by making it protect NP celebi or something we end up losing a dreigon switch in. In a few days I hear klefki will be unbanned when that occurs you could honestly slap it on the bronzong and get some other levitating mon over one of the others and you'd be set. good luck with the team dude n_n/

Oooh... Specs Cott huh... Seems cool! Never been the biggest fan of dual choice Pokemon, but they have worked for me sometimes, so I'll give it a shot. Bulk Up Conk was also something I was considering, but I decided I wanted something to have an easier time with Hydreigon (which as I said is EVERYWHERE). To deal with Gyara, I might trade out Knock Off from the set, but I'm not so sure. I'll experiment with it. Mixed tank Bronzong with Protect over Explosion seems really cool, so I'll try that too. I didn't want to use it at first, because, well... Toxic Stall is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH. Finally, Tentacruel. Hmmmm... Haze over Acid Spray... I love Acid Spray, so I might keep it, but I can also see the usefulness behind Haze, so I'll test it out. Thanks for the feedback! See you in Sun/Moon!

PS How did you get the animated sprites?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)