The Brave, the Banded and the Bird.

Good day! This RMT will involve the team I've been using for quite some time right now. It has gotten me to about 1850 so far in 6th gen OU. This RMT will describe countless of hours of experience with this team. I hope you find is as super effective as I have.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Return
- Swords Dance

Motivation:
To begin this analysis, it starts with our Mega. As of 6th gen, there is 1 mega allowed on the team. I have opted for Mega Pinsir. Boasting a massive 348 attack, Mega-Pinsir has a lot going on for it. Mega-Pinsir has an amazing typing, 4x resisting fighting moves, immunity to ground moves. It is THE perfect switch in to those pesky choice-locked EQ abusers.
Mega-Pinsir doesn't just have amazing resists. It also carries 100 base defence. What this accounts to, is taking 54% (on average) from a +2 Aegislash. In return? You can OHKO an Aegislash at +2. Since this set carries SD, one should try to set up on a King's shield. OR two hit KO the Aegislash without boosts.
Mega-Pinsir has one tool that makes it the most deadly, if used correctly. With its mediocre base-85 speed, it isn't the fastest. So it is more of a revenge killer (more on that later). You are looking at one of the most powerful moves in the game on Mega-Pinsir, due to its lovely ability Aerilate, which causes all Normal-type moves used by the Pokémon to become Flying-type and receive a 30% boost. What does this translate to? Return, at max happiness, deals 102 damage. So what if it becomes flying types AND gets a power boost? 102 + 30 (30% boost) x 1,5 (STAB) = a 198 power move. That is 2 shy of being a gen-1 explosing. This move will be your bread and butter when it comes to killing. You can 2-shot a Mega kangaskhan, which can't kill you in 2 turns. X-scissor is the obvious STAB move, dealing with pesky Psychic types. As a last move, one has two choices, Close Combat, or Earthquake.
So why Earthquake over CC? This choice depends on the team; if you're really weak to Steel-, Dark or Rock pokémon, using CC is a given. If you're planning on taking down the likes of Mega-Gengar, Aegislash and other threats, you're going to need EQ. Again, it's all a matter of taste.

Alternative strategies:
-Killing a pokémon as Pinsir to get the Moxie-boost and Mega-evolving after that, to get a +1 Mega-Pinsir, for maximum damage.
-Using Quick Attack, for a STAB flying, decently hard hitting priority. This works well with the aforementioned Moxie-boost.

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch

Motivation
With the lack of physical bulk the team was sporting, I felt it needed something to take hits and chew bubblegum after. Metagross was an often underlooked pick in 5th gen OU. It would get taken out by earthquake, without doing too much in return. This gen, with the nerf to Steel Types, one might think it would be a waste having this on the team. Right now, it is not. It will take any hit from a Mega Lucario, it will kill it in return. It will make Dragonite lose its multiscale before death. It has everything that this team needs. It can take EQ's without dying. It is perfect. With some much needed priority added to the mix, this poke switching between Ice Punch and Zen Headbutt to tackle different teams.
The main reason, was that this poke can take almost any super-effective hit and hit hard in return with this spread. For the item, I use Air Balloon, to make it survive at least 1 EQ. Meteor Mash is great to get a small boost under your belt, to hit harder than hell.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Motivation
At this point in 6th gen, the question has to be raised: why not carry this wall with 500 special defence?
This pokémon is amazing. It is the backbone of the team against special hits. Completely resisting, tanking and killing all who apose it. I have chosen Sap Sipper, due to the prevalence of Spore in the current Metagame, as well as completely negating Trevenant.
Sludge Wave hits every Fairy for decent damage, if not, outright 2-hit KO'ing them. Dragon Pulse is reliable damage. Focus Blast is there for extra coverage. And Fire Blast is here for Steel Types that like to switch into Goodra, hoping to resist a dragon move.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Motivation
This is arguably one of the best starters that is not broken (looking at you, my man Blaziken). Greninja is an amazing Lead and Revenge Killer. It has 377 speed with this set. Enough to outspeed slow scarfers and almost all pokémon in the tier. With the ability Protean, it gets STAB on all its moves. Damage on top of damage, which makes it difficult to resist. U-turn kills or damages other Greninja's, as well as dealing decent damage to special walls. The dark/water/ice coverage is amazing in the current OU metagame, only to be walled by Goodra (which at this point, is ANY special attacker). This set will generally provide valuable momentum to the team.
UPDATE! It can take a +3 Shadow Sneak from Aegislash!

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Motivation
This is the reason that the team has been doing so well. Nothing wants to take a banded Brave Bird, with +1 priority. Need something dead? BRAVE BIRD EVERYTHING. Yes, it really is that simple. If played correctly, this pokémon will nab you a kill or 3. I can hear you saying? STEALTH ROCKS AHOY. Well, we'll get into that later. For now, all you need to do, is spam-click Brave Bird and win. Easy, right?
So why Flare Blitz? If they dare to resist Brave Bird with Klefki or any steel type, or if they lead with a Ferrothorn? Flare Blitz away and your problems will melt, like the faces of your foes.
U-turn if the match-up if unfavourable and Tailwind, if you need to make a last-ditch effort that doesn't require you to spam more Brave Birds. The current spread was chosen to outspeed and OHKO standard Talonflame sets. Really, it will OHKO any other Talonflame, it is its own counter.

Alternative strategies:
-Acrobatics and itemless. You will do less damage and you will take 0 recoil. In my opinion, your damage suffers so much, that it isn't worth it at all. Maybe when flying gem is released, you can do a 200+ damage priority acrobatics. For now, it isn't viable.
-Bulk Up. Right now, on of the most common sets. IMO, this set isn't as good. Yes, you can get some bulk under your wing (hue) and priority your way to victory. Yet all your most damaging moves deal recoil. Why waste so much power on trying to set up and killing yourself in recoil? Not only that; you will be outsped, if you try to Flare Blitz. Not the most ideal set in my view and experience.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Motivation
The Best Rapid spinner of 5th gen is back. It still is the best rapid spinner of this gen. Its speed.. its coverage with Edge-Quake is flawless. Its speed is what surprises me the most, so fast, yet so deadly!
You might be wondering about the ability. Why did I choose Mold Breaker? I really did it for Sturdy Users or Levitate users, like Gengar. They like to switch into a STAB EQ. They don't end up liking that so much, when they're dead. Yes this set can set up against an Aegislash too and kill it in 1 hit. Even unboosted, it has a chance to OHKO an Aegislash at full HP. Just too strong. I've also refrained from using other abilities due to the lack of sandstorm on this team. I feel that damaging/killing Levitate-abusers or Sturdy abusers is far more utility.

This concludes the motivational section to my entire team. I hope you've enjoyed it so far. And remember: victory is only one Brave Bird away. So play smart and don't let them do the following.

Former members
Magnezone @ Choice Specs, Zygarde @ Leftovers.

Counters/threats
Blaziken (Technically Ubers, still on OU on Showdown).
Dragonite:
This thing is a problem. With the new Weakness Policy Abuser set I've seen everywhere, you NEED prior damage. My team used to have Stealth Rocks for that reason. So that might be a possible improvement for this team in the future. Why is it a problem, you ask? With Multiscale intact Dragonite can rarely be OHKO'ed, even by strong ice moves. So basically you set up either a DD or Agility and lure in a Poekmon that has a super effective move. Once they use that they don't KO you due to multiscale and your offenses get raised by 2 stages, effectively allowing Dnite to become an even more Potent sweeper than he already is, especially when one tries to use Extremespeed on a set like this. Ain't noting living this.
Possible solutions are Stealth Rocks, Brave Bird with prior damage and other than that, I don't think any team will love against it. I think Steal Rocks is the way to go.
It does falter against the combination of Zygarde + Brave Bird.

Closing notes
This was the first guide I've ever written. I hope you can enjoy my way of thinking and I hope to learn a lot from this. Thank you for your time.

Example matches
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60400831

Importable:
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Return
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
I decided to give this team a spin, and had a lot of mixed results. Either a single Pokemon (Magnezone, Pinsir, Talonflame) just wrecked through a team, taking three to five kills, or I just fell really short of killing anything. My main problem (and I mean mine, not the team) was judging Excadrill's speed. I also lost more then a few times due to a lack of any physical walls. Goodra is really awesome when it comes to the special side, I was mostly left hanging since nothing could really switch in efficiently into anything with EQ, for example.
All in all, a very lovely team. I'll probably use it for fun from time to time (if you don't mind of course).

I decided to give this team a spin, and had a lot of mixed results. Either a single Pokemon (Magnezone, Pinsir, Talonflame) just wrecked through a team, taking three to five kills, or I just fell really short of killing anything. My main problem (and I mean mine, not the team) was judging Excadrill's speed. I also lost more then a few times due to a lack of any physical walls. Goodra is really awesome when it comes to the special side, I was mostly left hanging since nothing could really switch in efficiently into anything with EQ, for example.
All in all, a very lovely team. I'll probably use it for fun from time to time (if you don't mind of course).
Thank you for sharing your experience with the team. I shall include physical hits in the current analysis and looking to replace Magnezone. Excadrill IS essential to the team. It has jolly nature to be able to spin rocks for Brave Bird. Once you get used to that, the team works better. I can understand the issues and I will include them. You may use them, of course! Thanks for the comment!

Excadrill IS essential to the team. It has jolly nature to be able to spin rocks for Brave Bird.
I could never say Excadrill is not essential. This team always needs something to get rid of SR, so the best spinner in the game is more than welcome. It's just that I constantly run into situations where my EQ/SE would instakill something, yet I just die because something outspeeds me with Focus Blast/EQ/whatever. And like I said, it's not the team's fault. It's just me being clumsy and inexperienced with controlling an out-of-sand-rush Excadrill. I'll probably get used to it over time.
I shall include physical hits in the current analysis and looking to replace Magnezone.
Looking forward to that.

Changelog
[11-5-2013] Updated the team to include some physical bulk (Zygarde).
[11-5-2013] Changed it up again, due to undesirable effects (Metagross).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)