The Beginning (Wi-Fi)

The Beginning

I started playing Ubers towards the end of Generation 4 once Arceus was released. I'm still adjusting to the metagame but its the most fun I've had playing Pokemon in a while. The team is called "The Beginning" because it marks the start of my journey into the Ubers metagame (yeah I know it's cheesy). Anyways, this team is a balanced team, my favorite style of battling. It is based around bulky Calm Minders Steel Arceus and Kyogre which stall and offensive teams tend to struggle against. Most of the testing for this team occured in the PO 5th Gen beta testing so I may have missed some significant weaknesses. Note that this team is designed for WiFi play, not Dream World.

In-Depth Analysis

Groudon @ Leftovers
Drought | Impish (+Def, -SpA)
252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar
---
Groudon is one of the most reliable leads for stall and balanced teams like this. It has favorable match ups against many common leads so it does a great job of setting up Stealth Rock early. Although Groudon is a solid lead, I don't always lead with it if I notice an unfavorable match up in the team previews. If my opponent is leading with Deoxys-S or Forretress, I normally lead with Giratina-O to prevent them from setting up multiple hazards. Against Darkrai leads, I send out Kyogre and Sleep Talk as they use Dark Void. Opposing Kyogre leads are a bit troublesome but Palkia or my own Kyogre can handle them.

Speaking of Kyogre, Groudon paired with it gives me incredible control over the weather. Although at first glance it looks like most of my team hates sunlight, Drought helps boost Giratina-O's HP Fire and provides a pseudo Water resistance for my Steel-types. Aside from setting up Stealth Rock and providing weather control, Groudon is my main check to various physical attackers such as Bulk Up Dialga, Zekrom, and Ho-Oh.

The moveset is straightforward. The EVs focus on physical bulk (216 Def EVs reaches a bonus point) while 40 speed EVs let Groudon outrun slower base 90's, such as Zekrom and Ho-Oh.

--------------

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs | Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
---
Ferrothorn is the only non-Uber on my team but that doesn't make it any less valuable. It provides the second layer of entry hazards with Spikes and is capable of setting them up on a variety of Pokemon. I considered Forretress and Skarmory in this slot but Ferrothorn's significantly higher Special Defense and valuable resistances to Water and Electric types Its great bulk and myraid of resistances also allow it to check a variety of threats, such as Zekrom, Kyogre, Kingdra, and Lati@s. Leech Seed and Protect provides some form of recovery for Ferrothorn and its teammates. Protect is also extremely useful for scouting Choice items, which is especially useful against Specs Reshiram. Gyro Ball hits surprisingly hard and often catches things like Rayquaza off guard. The EV spread is focused towards Special Defense to handle the likes of Kyogre and Palkia better.

--------------

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Levitate | Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
244 Atk / 8 Def / 216 SpA / 40 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dragon Tail
---
Giratina-O's main purpose on this team is to block Rapid Spin, which is a lot easier with Payback's slight nerf. It has pretty good type synergy with my hazard users, resisting both of Ferrothorn's weaknesses and Groudon's Water and Grass weaknesses. Ferrothorn is a major Forretress magnet so Giratina-O has no trouble switching in to block Rapid Spin, which is crucial when dealing with Ho-Oh and Reshiram teams. Giratina also serves as a check to things like RP Groudon and SD Scizor. It can also revenge kill Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak once it is around the 50% mark. As mentioned above, Giratina-O can also take over the lead position if Groudon has a bad match up in the team previews. Deoxys-S and Forretress can normally set up multiple hazards against Groudon but will be limited to only one when facing Giratina.

The moveset is standard. I chose Dragon Tail for the last slot because it makes Giratina-O incredibly difficult to take down. It also racks up entry hazard damage on my opponent when paired with Ferrothorn's Spikes. 244 Atk EVs and Naughty nature gives Shadow Sneak enough power to 2HKO 4 HP/0 Def Mewtwo. The 40 Speed EVs let Giratina outrun everything up to 32 speed Ho-Oh. 8 Def EVs ensure that +2 Jolly Arceus Shadow Claw does not OHKO Giratina. It's not a huge deal but it's a small EV investment, so why not? The remaining EVs are allocated to Special Attack to boost Draco Meteor and Hidden Power Fire.

--------------

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Multitype | Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
---
Steel Arceus is the best Arceus form in my opinion. Its incredible durability and typing lets it take hits like no other. It is also capable of single-handedly demolishing stall teams thanks to its natural immunities to Toxic and Trick. Once Arceus gets a Calm Mind boost under its belt, it is very difficult to take down. Its only real threats are Ho-Oh, Heatran, Reshiram, Groudon, and Garchomp, (and Shadow Tag Shandera in Dream World) all of which are handled by its teammates. Along with Ferrothorn, Arceus forms the defensive backbone of my team. Their myriad of resistances, bulk, and access to instant recovery allow them to take repeated hits throughout the battle. Arceus is usually my initial switch-in for predicted Dragon attacks since it is a lot more durable than Ferrothorn. The moveset is the standard. I chose Will-O-Wisp over Roar to cripple physical attackers, giving Arceus and Kyogre a much easier time setting up. HP is maxed out to improve bulk while speed is maxed so that Arceus doesn't lose the speed tie to opposing Arceus.

--------------

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Drizzle | Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Kyogre is much like Arceus on this team since it is a tank and sweeper at the same time. The two paired together will usually demolish opposing Stall teams with ease. I chose to use a Calm Mind set on Kyogre because a lot of teams struggle against it. After one Calm Mind, one of Kyogre's best counters, Palkia, will usually be unable to defeat it. Furthermore, Soul Dew is currently unavailable outside of Dream World so Lati@s are no longer a threat to Kyogre. Thus, there are very few reliable counters to CM Kyogre.

Kyogre also acts as my status sponge, a very useful asset now that Sleep is more broken than ever. Thus, it is usually my first switch-in to a predicted Dark Void from Darkrai. As mentioned earlier, Kyogre and Groudon gives me total control over the weather, preventing any form of weather abuse by my opponent. I try to keep Rain active more often than the Sun because Drizzle complements my walls beautifully since the rain nullifies their Fire weakness. This is especially important when facing powerful Fire types like Reshiram and Ho-Oh.

Scald was a huge boost for this set since it becomes nearly impossible to take down after burning my opponent. It also scares away Rayquaza, who is otherwise a great counter for this set. The EVs focus on physical bulk since Calm Mind can boost its special defense.

--------------

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Pressure | Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Outrage
---
Choice Scarf Palkia is the glue for many Uber teams and this is no exception. Although it hasn't changed signficiantly with the new generation, the new team reveal feature scouts for Scarf Palkia's worst nightmare: Wobbuffet. Anyways, Palkia adds much needed speed to this relatively slow team and assists in revenge killing Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Zekrom. However, the most important Pokemon that Palkia revenge kills is Reshiram who is otherwise a huge threat to this team. Other than revenge killing, Palkia can be a great late game cleaner once my entry hazards have taken their toll on my opponent. The moveset and EVs are standard. Draco Meteor was chosen over Spacial Rend for its ability to OHKO Darkrai and Mewtwo (after SR and LO recoil). Fire Blast and Thunder allow Palkia to function well in the rain and the sun. Finally, Outrage is in the last slot for picking off weakened Calm Minders and cleaning up.

--------------

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team is absolutely destroyed by Choice Band Zekrom. It gets a a free switch on both Arceus and Skarmory and can then OHKO whatever it wants since nothing on your team can handle a Lightning Strike. Even Arceus takes like 75% so it can't Recover stall. Nattorei is also kind of annoying with Leech Seed, and it also walls everything on your team in the rain but Tyranitar who can't switch in repeatedly on Nat due to being weak to both of its STAB moves.

I know you said your team hates sunlight, but I really think you would do better with a defensive Groudon over Tyranitar.

Groudon @ Lefties
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Attack
Impish Nature
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Overheat

You don't have to lead with Groudon, and Giratina-O can pretty much cover everything TTar did in the lead. Darkrai becomes more of a pain, yes, but you have Kyogre and Palkia to deal with it so I wouldn't fret too much. Groudon gives you a much needed Zekrom counter as well as providing a backup to things such as Garchomp and Doryuuzu. Sunlight also kinda benefits your Steels since it weakens Water-type attacks and makes Thunder inaccurate. Sunlight also pumps up Giratina-O's Hidden Power Fire - in the rain is does laughable amounts of damage to Forry and even more pitiful amounts of damage to Nattorei. Overheat is there since defensive Groudon lures Nattorei and Forry in pretty easily thinking they can set up, even more so than TTar.

I would then change Surf on Palkia to Fire Blast. Surf doesn't offer anything important coverage wise and Fire Blast stops Palkia from being walled by Nattorei.

I don't really rate teams so I don't know how helpful this actually this is, but aside from the huge Zekrom weakness its a nice team. :)

Just posting to say I love the presentation. Since I don't want to make a useless post though, I'll suggest Shed Shell on Skarmory for Shandera

Well tbh if your team really hates sunlight and you want a decent ground type rather than going with Groudon (which is still a good choice) you could go with a more offensive variant in Doryuuzu who in the sand can destroy offensive uber teams and can set up all day long on CB Zekrom. Although I'm not sure who to put him over but I'm sure he would be a nice addition to your team.

Your team looks pretty solid on its own, but as Fireburn mentioned, Zekrom can run through your team with Lightning Strike alone. However you can also opt to run a Scarf Zekrom of your own over Palkia as it can revenge Kyogre somewhat, while still providing a decent switch-in to Lightning Strikes due to its 4x resist. Good luck, and merry christmas!

Yeah Zekrom is definitely this team's biggest weakness, as I mentioned a few times in my post. I've tried the above suggestions and Groudon has been working well, though Mixed Zekrom still hurts so I have to be careful there.

I also tried Choice Scarf Zekrom and it was pretty good. Revenge killing Mewtwo (which is a pretty big problem), Ho-oh, and Kyogre were very useful assets. However, Kyogre's Water Spout was plowing through my team. I also didn't like how it couldn't revenge kill DD Rayquaza or Salamence. Doryuuzu was an interesting suggestion but I didn't know what to use it over. xD

Anyways, I've replaced Tyranitar with Groudon and also Fire Blast > Surf on Palkia.

Any more suggestions?

Although I'm not really sure what you can do about it Specs Reshiram demolishes this team, literally OHKOing everything apart from Kyogre who I think is still OHKOd after Stealth Rock (although that might be Min HP Kyogre), either way even that will struggle. Even though most teams are slightly Reshiram weak the low speed of this one outside of a pokemon that can barely hurt it (Steel Arceus). Even though your team uses alot of hazards, running one of the Latis over Gira-O, while not giving you better switch-ins means there is one less pokemon it can actually come in on. Your team also hates Magic Mirror Espeon since Skarm can literally do nothing to it, and it makes you pretty Ho-Oh weak. Again, running Latias with Psycho Shock means Ho-Oh can do less to you, although it is still a weakness you have to watch out for.

Just posting to say I love the presentation. Since I don't want to make a useless post though, I'll suggest Shed Shell on Skarmory for Shandera
This is a wifi team, so Shandera doesn't have shadow tag yet.

I would suggest rock slide over stone edge because it allows Groudon to effectively deal with SubRoost Ho-oh wihtout worrying about getting stalled out of PP or worrying about a miss (as much)

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
This team looks very solid, but I think it could do with a few tweaks. Cool as Overheat is on Groudon, when you have Spikes support Dragon Tail is so good that I think you should probably use it. You can predict Nattorei or Forry coming in, hit Dragon Tail, and wear them down with the extra rounds of residual damage they'll have to take.

This makes you a little bit weak to Skarmory and other Spikers, though, so to compensate I would suggest putting a few speed EVs and Taunt over Toxic on your own Skarm.

Another small change I would suggest is Draco Meteor on Palkia. This OHKOs Darkrai and Mewtwo, which is vital as Palkia must be able to revenge them. Spacial Rend is not really needed; anything that would be 2HKOd by Rend is 2HKOd by Meteor, and you have Outrage to sweep late-on.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would suggest rock slide over stone edge because it allows Groudon to effectively deal with SubRoost Ho-oh wihtout worrying about getting stalled out of PP or worrying about a miss (as much)
I agree with the above^

Also Fireburn makes a good point about your Zekrom problem so I'd recommend his changes of any others posted.

I decided to use Draco Meteor > Spacial Rend on Palkia. The extra power was really helpful.

For Groudon, I actually prefer Overheat for catching Steels off-guard. It makes cleaning with Palkia much easier. I'm still debating between Stone Edge and Rock Slide. Stone Edge does have the nice perk of being able to OHKO Rayquaza after SR and LO recoil.

Reshiram is a big problem for this team which is why I try to keep Rain active as much as possible. Team preview helps a lot when dealing with it because its easier to predict against. Latias would work but this is a WiFi team. Soul Dew is currently unavailable (as far as I know) outside of Dream World.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)