The All Stars Metagame V2: Enter the PU (A pokemon from each tier)

Approved by: Hollywood, The Immortal

Intro:

A metagame where you must choose a pokemon from each tier would be a fun thing to do and would promote more skill and understanding of the game as a whole instead of dedicating yourself to playing/studying the same 50 mons for the next 3 years or s0...Learning how to use counters and checks from lower tiers against the big fish, sweeping with lower tiered mons, applying playstyles with different pokemon, encouraging more study and inventing new sets, this metagame invites you to do all of the above with rules that can be implemented everywhere.

===============

RULES:

• Team construction rules, Gen XY Tiers (framework by Eevee General):
    1 OU/BL
    2 UU/BL2
    1 RU/BL3
    1 NU/BL4
    1 PU
  • There can only be one Mega per team.

• Team construction rules, Gen XY Tiers (by The Eevee General):
    1 OU/BL
    2 UU/BL2
    2 RU/BL3
    1 NU
  • There can only be one Mega per team.

CLAUSES:

• Sleep, OHKO, Species, Evasion, Endless Battle, Freeze, Uber

=============================

TIERS:

PU

Neverused

Rarelyused
Underused
Overused

Current month usage based tier update.

HALL OF FAME:

All Stars Tournament 1

1st Place: kloshitt
2nd Place: WhiteQueen
Semis: TewMew, yoman5

All Stars Tournament 2: TBD

REPLAYS:

Pre-PU (V1):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204399396
Rain team vs. Rain Counters
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-1338978
Serp Attack
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-33532
Weather Wars
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-203962272
Creative Overload
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-203424806
Mega Gems Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-33419
Fairy Annoying
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-202792071
Ches Love

----------------

Pew-PU (V2):

Last edited:
Cool Meta! Now, teams will focus in two things: Either will they be compounded on team synergy, or by the underdogs supporting an OU sweeper. Pokemon like Alomomola, Amoongus, Ferroseed, Absol, Mienshao, Darmanitan, Mew and many other which don't find their way to OU because are outclassed will shine in my opinion.
Also, pokemon like Meloetta, which are forgotten and not used because people don't play their strenghts will get some light.
And then, you must choice an OU benemoth, one which fulfills an unique role, because if they slightly outclass another one ( Florges vs Sylveon i.e.) you could go for it and keep the OU slot free
P.S.: Just a nitpick, but Freeze Clause?

I see something like dual screens kelfki being an insanely good supporter for whatever OU bigshot wants to sweep hmm

Last edited:
This is one of the best ideas I have seen :D
Anyways, maybe this is the return of the weather?
If you have to use something from NU, Why not Toad&Tails?
Well, I'm looking forward to what tricks and stuff will happen in this meta :3

I'm very interested in seeing how people go about this, and of course after a couple of weeks we can see if there something that is OP and needs to be suspected. I'll be adding direct links to the tiers so you can choose your mons more easily.

I will add a replay section where people can see select battles and how they can improve their playstyle, so if you have any just PM it to me. GL.

Last edited:
Slurpuff could be a good choice for the NU Pokémon, because of its access to both Belly Drum and Unburden with half-decent attack, which gets to over 1000 after a BD (and people were complaining in the NU thread that both the BD and CM sets were completely broken). Although there will be a lot of F.E.A.R due to lack of imagination.

Would Heracronite, Alakazite, Drizzle and Drought make Pokémon count as BL for this?

Wait, so, we only get 4 Pokemon per team, right? (OU/UU/RU/NU -- four tiers)
Edit: oohhh, that's what I get for skimming the rules.

Last edited:
Trick Room teams will rock this meta :). Reuniclus, Mega-Mawile, Cofagrigus, P2, + 2 low tier TR sweepers is a core that has always functioned well in higher tiers and will definately be fun to use in this tier as well. Awesome meta idea :).

Trick Room teams will rock this meta :). Reuniclus, Mega-Mawile, Cofagrigus, P2, + 2 low tier TR sweepers is a core that has always functioned well in higher tiers and will definately be fun to use in this tier as well. Awesome meta idea :).
DO NOT forget aromatisse that thing is literally untauntable and is one of the best setters in the game. Also in a blast from the past reuniclus can be used but you are already using nasty room cofagriggus presumably. Beeheyem can also be used in and outside of trick room because it can pull off nasty room like slowking and mr coffin or hit like a truck via analytic outside of trick room.

I guess part of the challenge this meta presents is how to fulfill various roles efficiently with lower tier pokemon. For example if you wanted a defogger in OU, one of the Lati@s or Mandibuzz would be great, but since you only have 1 OU slot, you most probably will use that slot for a Mega or sweeper. For example Crobat (UU) is a good option with excellent speed and can act as a general annoyer.

The limited choices of OU pokemon can make Rhyperior a viable check to Mega Pokemon such as CharX and Mega Pinsir. For Trick Room teams you can use lower tiers mons such as Rampardos to great measures as well.

If you happen to find my username in the OM room feel free to challenge me.

It would have been interesting if we replaced like, the second UU or RU Pokemon with an Uber...and once we get enough statistics to come up with a PU tier (even if it's unofficial) to replace the other one with one of them.

But this sounds fun either way. It's a great way to make everyone's favorite Pokemon viable at the same time.

It would have been interesting if we replaced like, the second UU or RU Pokemon with an Uber...and once we get enough statistics to come up with a PU tier (even if it's unofficial) to replace the other one with one of them.

But this sounds fun either way. It's a great way to make everyone's favorite Pokemon viable at the same time.
As interesting as Ubers would be, that would be hugely overcentralizing. Once the opponent's Uber is removed, one's own can sweep the entirety of the opposing team.

Durant seems to be pretty cool in this meta. For an RU Pokemon it is pretty viable already in OU albeit now the bets pick because it is countered by common Pokemon like Aegislash, Thunderus, Skarmory etc. However in this metagame people can only have 1 OU Pokemon meaning that most teams only have 1 counter or check to it at best. It is also a cool Scizor / Mega Scizor replacement if you need a set up sweeping Bug Steel.

( for now ) Lucario is UU, so it could see some use

It would have been interesting if we replaced like, the second UU or RU Pokemon with an Uber...and once we get enough statistics to come up with a PU tier (even if it's unofficial) to replace the other one with one of them.But this sounds fun either way. It's a great way to make everyone's favorite Pokemon viable at the same time

Hell, we have Ubers that overcentralize the Metagame in which they reside, so let's think about a Mewtwo vs. Ub / OU / UU / RU / NU / PU team

Last edited:
The meta seems very good for Rain teams, especially since Kabutops is RU and Kingdra is UU - a standard rain team with Ludicolo seems fairly easy to build and imo could be very successful

Drizzle's BL while Politoed is NU... so is Drizzle Toed an OU mon while non-drizzle Toed is NU? Either way, allows you to have Politoed, Kingdra, and Kabutops on the same, and Ludicolo if Politoed is BL.

Drizzle's BL while Politoed is NU... so is Drizzle Toed an OU mon while non-drizzle Toed is NU? Either way, allows you to have Politoed, Kingdra, and Kabutops on the same, and Ludicolo if Politoed is BL.
Pretty much. Perhaps ppl may start to use Rain Dance Kingdra on non rain teams just to counter the strategy ala BW2, but we'll see. I will apply to make a tournament for this metagame, stay tuned.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Seismitoed is a viablemon in OU already, and can fit well on teams that need an answer to Keldeo and other Water-types.

Hmm... Ditto might be really good because of ability to have potencialy two mega/OU pokemons in team.
Also... Rotom Forms might be usefull because of good stats...

Scyther also is really good one: really solid speed, attack, acces to Eviolite, boosting in SD, coverage enought good for sweaping...

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hmm... Ditto might be really good because of ability to have potencialy two mega/OU pokemons in team.
Also... Rotom Forms might be usefull because of good stats...

Scyther also is really good one: really solid speed, attack, acces to Eviolite, boosting in SD, coverage enought good for sweaping...
This argument could be made in any metagame though. Having access to two Mega Pokémon potentially doesn't define Ditto's niche, and while having more than one OU Pokémon may seem beneficial on paper; it's actually not that great. If you analyse Ditto's low HP stat and how it fails to function against most things that aren't Offense, you'll realise that Ditto still has the problems it faces in any other metagame. Arguably, just having a more solid sixth slot from NU is much more reliable, and actually benefits a team more unless the team is severely weak to set-up sweepers (in that case having Ditto as a lone check often isn't a great idea).

Rotom forms might be good because good stats? What does this metagame do to benefit Rotom formes at all? Of course, they might still be viable but I don't see how exactly having good stats aids it in this metagame alone. Plus their stats generally aren't what makes them potent threats in their respective tiers.

Scyther is donked by most of the top ten Pokémon listed by viability in the above three tiers, assuming they carry over similar viability into the metagame. Scyther isn't even one of the best Pokémon in NU, and somehow it gains some magical viability increase in this metagame? What you listed is what makes it an above average sweeper in NU, how does that affect its viability here?

~

When discussing this metagame in the OM Room, many people were arguing for PU implementation; as it really doesn't make sense not to include an recognised tier and to have two UU and RU instead. Is there any chance of a PU implementation occurring? Seeing as this got close to getting OMotM this month, it'd be nice to ensure that any conflict is settled before next month's voting stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)