SM RU *teleports behind you* buzz buzz, kid

Which Pokemon would have the more powerful 「STAND」?

• Mega Charizard Y

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Crawdaunt

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Yanmega

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Vikavolt

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

teachable

Banned deucer.

Preface
Prior to the recent wave of Yanmega (which I'm pretty sure I contributed to w/ how much I hyped this shit up), it was incredibly underused for how difficult it is to switch into. While I previously hated Yanmega just due to aesthetic, I've come to love it (like a lot of other pokemon) from just using it competitively. Peaked around 1480 (would've kept going but RU ladder is dead and ladder.. doesn't matter too much IMO). Anyways, not much else to say other than I wanted to build a Yanmega squad and ended up liking this build a decent amount.

Teambuilding Process

I started with Specs Yanmega, since this is what I wanted to build the team around. This mon honestly reminds me of Zard-Y, which probably explains why I like them so much; getting to just delete something when you get it to come in is nice as heck.

Since I wanted to opt for a more offensive team, I thought of what partners lured in stuff that Yanmega could take advantage. Aero, to me, seemed like it fit the bill for this, with luring in Pokemon like Chesnaught/Doublade/Mega Steelix which Yanmega can dent or kill. Aero also really appreciates having Steel-types that don't usually check it, like Registeel, weakened so it can spam Stone Edge late game. Aero had the added benefit of checking some Pokemon faster than Yanmega, such as Salazzle and Espeon.

With 2 Pokemon weak to Rocks, and with the USM Defog hype, I decided to slap two Defoggers onto my team that I feel pair nicely. Gligar (usually, S/O to LTT) beats the more defensive rockers like Registeel/Mega Lix while Rotom-Frost can beat the more offensive rockers like Nidoqueen or Seismitoad. Amazingly enough, these two Pokemon have access to U-turn and Volt Switch, which lets them do a lot more for the team than just Defog; they can bring in the 「BUG BREAKER」.

With an offensive Rotom-Frost being my Ice resist, and my Nidoqueen switches also being limited to Rotom-Frost, I decided I needed an Ice resist that could reliably switch into queen as well. Originally I tried Bronzong in this slot, but noticed that I also had no Fire resists and I refused to use Heatproof and... honestly it put way too much pressure on whatever was in my last slot. So I opted for Snorlax in this slot as it also paired nicely with Yanmega/Aero in terms of luring in Pokemon that they could use for a chance to fire off an attack (Milotic/Chesnaught) or weakening/trapping Ghosts like Doublade allowing me to more confidently run a mono-attacking set.

At this point I needed an offensive Rocker. This slot was originally an incredibly generic rocks Nidoqueen, but someone in the RU room was talking about rocks Kommo-o so I tried it and I've been loving it.

The Team

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

ゴ BEHOLD, MY「BUG BREAKER」! Yanmega is definitely one of the scarier Pokemon to switch into. Standard Specs Yanmega, and honestly there's nothing really worth changing about this set. I originally tried out Modest and while I really appreciated the extra power, getting revenge killed by stuff like Jolly Gatr wasn't incredibly fun so I opted to run Timid again and play more aggressively if I needed some chip damage to secure a kill.

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Also a fairly typical set outside of the Choice Band vs Life Orb. I opted for Band for the extra Oomph to get some more chip or pursuit damage versus some annoying mons (Like Lazzle, Swellow, Moltres). Aero's job is typically to Pursuit trap ghosts, lure in stuff for Yanmega to break, or clean late game after Yanmega has broken through their bulkier mons.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Gligar provided my team with a solid fighting resist that paired nicely with Lax and most importantly a Defogger that beats Mega Lix + Registeel. Since this Gligar is lacking Toxic, you can't exactly do anything about setup sweepers like Flygon setting up infront of you; you have to play really aggressively to avoid giving them an opportunity to setup which occasionally means U-turning and keeping rocks up to Pursuit Flygon with Aero or something. You'll generally only be defogging against more defensive/bulky teams, where you can afford to lose that kind of momentum/Yanmega or Aero have to come in more than once. Toxic > U-turn would definitely be my first consideration for a change though, as it forces some incredibly aggressive plays as is but I haven't had time to playtest.

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Defog

When I originally built this team my Z Crystal was thrown on Kommo-o as an additional wincon, but with that getting banned I decided to try it out on Rotom-Frost for a big-ole nuke + 100% accuracy Ice-type attack and its been great. Not risking a miss versus Nido or hurting whatever they switch into for a big chunk, usually a Steel-type, is a win-win. While Bolt-Beam is usually pretty great coverage, it's especially so in RU with a lot of the popular/good Pokemon at the moment being weak or neutral to Ice. I opted for Pain Split in my utility slot for some form of recovery, although something like Snatch or Wisp could work in this slot as well; I rarely clicked this move, and usually when I did I'd be losing that game.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 188 HP / 128 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Our Ice resist! Lax has been great on this team, as it usually demands an immediate switch in from your opponent to their check which lets you double in one of your breakers. As talked about above, I opted for the mono-attacking set mainly because I was confident I could deal with Steel/Ghost types to let this actually function as a wincon. Additionally, though, since this team struggles with setup sweepers I wanted Sleep Talk as a means of hopefully avoiding giving them free turns.

Kommo-o @ Yache Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This set is definitely going to get some looks, which is mainly why I'm writing this up; I'd like to hopefully avoid having this kind of role compression required on my team. Yache Berry is probably where the "what the fuck teach"s start; it's my teams emergency check to Gatr; as long as it can get chipped while setting up, I can revenge it with this and avoid having to run Banded Rocks Aero (although that *could* work if I wanted to put a Scarfer on this team). Does an OK job at "luring" some Pokemon like Queen/Mega Aboma also. Honestly I hate it, but I originally built this team ignoring Gatr/Flygon as I'm known for running Phys Def Milo and Ice Shard Pokemon on every team so it was designed more for Tournament play where people would hopefully be trying to c-team me; I wanted to adapt it for ladder and this was the lowest effort that could go into accomplishing that. If you want to accept an auto loss to Gatr once its setup, you can try using Life Orb Kommo-o. Close Combat is STAB, Clanging is to 3HKO Gligar after rocks (forcing it to Roost OR Defog). Opted for Toxic over Taunt as we really don't care if hazards are gone; we're usually trying to get them off the field ourselves. Being able to nail a Pokemon like Cresselia, Comfey, or Chesnaught on the switch with a Toxic is usually appreciated more. I didn't find myself weak enough to Pokemon like Swellow/Mixed Kommo-o to justify using Soundproof, so I opted for Bulletproof for the extra insurance against Sun teams and for some free switch ins vs Shadow/Gyro balls.
Threatlist
Setup Sweepers

An offensive team without a Scarf generally struggles against these folk; thankfully with the right amount of offensive pressure we can usually avoid granting them free turns to setup or get necessarry chip for something on my team to tank a hit and revenge kill it.
Screens

Personal fuck you (<3) to Gatorboy and -Tsunami- for making this shit so popular. Even with 2 Defoggers, the loss in momentum + lack of a scarfer usually makes this matchup an autoloss which isn't too fun.
Scarf Gardevoir

This Pokemon is a little annoying in that I usually have to let one of my wincons (Lax) get Trick'd for a consistent switch in to this mon; once its scarf is gone its a bit easier to handle as all of our offensive mons outspeed it.

Final words
S/O to all of the RU players for finally hopping on the Yanmega hype train with me, I'll get you all on the Subfey train soon :). Replays and importable down below.

Here's some replays, don't have a whole lot as I usually avoid saving replays vs Ladder unless they're using somewhat decent teams.

「BUG BREAKER」 (Yanmega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

>:V (Aerodactyl) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

>:P (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

.-. (Rotom-Frost) @ Icium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Defog

-^- (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 188 HP / 128 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pillar Mon (Kommo-o) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)