Teams from 2015 Fall Seasonal and Doubles Open

This was an idea I had in #doubles and it seemed to get positive reception so I'm gonna do it. Basically I'm stealing the NB idea of posting the top cut teams from big tournaments, but obviously in DOU you're not locked into a team for an entire tournament like VGC (this is not a thread to discuss that). I've added the teams from the top 4 placements in this tournament, that way you guys should get an accurate idea of what teams/cores are trendy, not just individual Pokemon.
Teams are on the same side as the name of the player in the match (ie KyleCole on the left = teams on the left)
Fall Seasonal
Grand Finals

KyleCole vs Stratos
vs
(winner:KyleCole)
vs
(winner: KyleCole)

Losers Finals
Stratos vs Heliosan
vs
(winner: Stratos)
vs

Winners Finals
KyleCole vs Stratos
vs
vs
vs

Losers Semi Finals
Heliosan vs Qsns
vs
(winner: Qsns)
vs
(winner: Heliosan)
vs
(winner: Heliosan)

Doubles Open
Round Robin Finals

Arcticblast vs Laga
vs
(winner: Laga)
vs
(winner: Arcticblast)
vs

Arcticblast vs Qsns
vs
vs

Laga vs Qsns
vs
vs
(winner: Qsns)
vs

upload_2015-12-8_2-20-4.png

upload_2015-12-8_2-21-15.png

Feel free to comment on anything you notice! If you're listed here I would also encourage you to leave notes about the teams you used.

Last edited:

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Hey n_n cool thread Kyle. I wanted to do an analysis of my g1 team because IMO it's probably the most solid squad I've built in a while, netting me wins in a good amount of tour games recently. Would do the other squads but I stole them hehe

This team is based around the extremely powerful core of Mega Kangaskhan + Deo-A and how they break most defensive cores quite easily, with almost all of Kanga's checks besides Aegis getting decimated by Deo's coverage. It ended up being really hyper offensive with little to no switchins to common threats lol, so I don't think I'd recommend this team to a new player as it requires the ability to play around most threats offensively (which is a lot harder in doubles than in singles).

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

One of the scariest mons in any doubles format. I steered away from the standard Return/PuP set on this team because I felt even with Rachi as a redirector, this team would play so quickly that additional immediate power and Low Kick would be more beneficial. Low Kick also ensures Heatran can basically never get a Sub against this team even with Jirachi or Talon out. I've been using Protect Kanga lately and it's not bad but stuck with the normal Fake Out because Fake Out + Deo-A is one of the scariest things to face down in the format. Jolly b/c Adamant Kanga is bad and I can snipe others with a bit of chip damage.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Extremely underrated threat atm as it has the ability to very quickly dismantle common balanced cores, most of which center around Amoonguss/Heatran. The Focus Sash allows it to take a hit with its frail af defenses but makes it even more potent against offense because it requires 2 hits for them to take it down. 2 hits for offense is a lot to commit considering Deo-A is OHKOing half of their team with Psycho Boost. ESpeed finishes off weakened Talonflames and Kangaskhans. Max/max spread is the most effective on Deo-A, giving it the ability to outspeed Scarf Landorus-T.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

I realized how Aegi weak I was and how bad I needed an answer to it. Enter Hydreigon. This also gives me a water resist which is really nice because I usually end up building with none ~_~. Opted for Timid because Adamant Kanga is still bad and killing them with Dracos is funny af. Third moveslot is very interchangeable; I used Fire Blast against Hashtag to loast his Ferrothorns that he loves to bring and Tailwind has been tested.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Protect

The more priority you can have an offensive team like this one, the better. Allows you to lock down the game much more safely and Talon is probably the best user of strong priority. Although most opt for TW on an offensive team such as this one, I find it's not too useful. The whole team is very fast and TW ends up just being overkill. Steel Wing was chosen because I have 1 Diancie switchin and it gets beat by its most common partners, Fires and Aegis :(

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

.lazyteambuildin. I realized how useful a pivot would be on such an offensive team and added the best one in the metagame. Checks stuff such as Kanga and Diancie. zzz

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Follow Me
- Protect

My final pick was a redirector as it allowed my offensive, frail mons to get off another hit. I initially toyed with Amoonguss but I came to dislike it on the team because it usually hemorrhaged momentum due to its low speed; I was very often forced to Protect + Spore and that sucked, as well as the Latios weakness it exacerbated. Rachi provides me with a Latios check and speed control for super fast stuff so it was the perfect fit for this team. I crept the Loom benchmark a bit and put the rest into spdef, allowing it to better check stuff like Kyurem-B.

e: FUCK I USED THAT TEAM I USED G1 VS ARCTIC HELIO IS RIGHT THANKS HELIO
I KNEW I BROUGHT KANGA
WHY DID I USE THAT TEAM VS ARCTIC TOO ITS NOT EVEN THAT GOOD
STILL READ MY TEAM THING BC ITS A GOOD TEAM ;O;

Last edited:
Dang this is a pretty cool thread. I feel honored to be included in this and honestly, I didn't expect to get this far in my first Smogon tour.

The set that I got to play against qsns was probably one of the most intense sets that I have had to play in this tournament (well, the iliketrains11 set is probably up there too) and probably more intense than the VGC tournaments that I have been to.

Game 1 against qsns...I was definitely using a Mega Diancie team and I remember the Keldeo + Ferrothorn mirror match at the very very end and don't remember playing a Deoxys, but that's cool tho. The team I used for Game 1 was Mega Diancie, Ferrothorn, Talonflame, Keldeo, Landorus-T, Thundurus.

Game 3 was definitely my THALKS team. Thundurus, Heatran, Amoonguss, Landorus-T, Mega Kangaskhan, and Sylveon. I remember using a Life Orb Landorus-T for whatever reason along with a Substitute Heatran because I remember stalling out sun at the very end to allow for Life Orb Landorus-T to pick up the double KO on Zard Y and Venusaur hence me wondering if that Zard was Timid or not (it was not).

Looking back at all of my teams and past tournament battles, I noticed I use the genies...a lot. Nothing wrong with using something that is strong and also something I am comfortable with, but I guess I'll see what I build next.

I think I will share some of the ideas behind the teams I used when it is not 2:30 AM and I am exhausted from going to my first Steelers game, but the set that I will share is for this monster:

Naga Siren (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

So, this Sylveon set has definitely pulled through on multiple battles throughout this tournament run. This set was influenced by my friend Enosh Shachar who is a very innovative VGC player who talked about how Sylveon can get so many free turns to setup a Substitute or a Calm Mind because of the looming Hyper Voice threat. Add some Pokemon that can help Sylveon set that Substitute / Calm Mind up (Fake Out Mega Kangaskhan, Rage Powder Amoonguss, Intimidate from Landorus-T), then Sylveon can become a win condition that just sweeps through teams once the checks are gone.

Now that I look at this spread, I am pretty sure it was optimized for level 50 and I was just too lazy to optimize it for level 100, but the extra bulk ended up helping several times against Diancie and other physical attackers so I think it was fine. 212 HP and 184 Def makes it such that neutral Adamant Landorus-T spread Rock Slide CANNOT break the Substitute and neutral Adamant spread Earthquake is a 3HKO on Sylveon. The speed was just to creep things with a dump in Sp Atk since it's a pretty safe bet that I can get one or even two boosts safely when behind a Substitute.

Of course, since this Sylveon relies a lot on setup to really become a monster, it definitely opens up opportunities to get haxed due to the speed and amount of turns needed to setup properly. However, I think when I was able to support it well or take out the primary threats to this set (Heatran, Amoonguss, Aegislash, etc)...then Sylveon was just insta-win by clicking Hyper Voice. This set probably won't catch on, but figured it would be cool to share it.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

So this is the team that Stratos used in game 1 of Winners Finals. I built this team while I was being tutored by Audiosurfer (so yeah it's old) and it's been spread around and used by a variety of players in tournament matches. This isn't the first time Stratos has used it, and I know shaian has used it too. Stratos can comment on changes he made, as can anyone else who's used this team, but here's the original mockup:

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 132 SpA / 40 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Snarl
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 28 SpA / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

The idea behind the team was to 1. Remove Hyper Voice checks and 2. Spam Hyper Voice. Landorus I removes steels and zard, Scarf Kyube removes Lando, Aegislash subs up on TR, and Suicune and Thundurus provide speed control. Garde has HP fire because of Ferrothorn, but you can drop Psychic for Focus Blast on Lando I for this too. A rock move on Kyube is also viable. There's not a lot to say about this team other than it is really easy to play because there are literally two steps and it doesn't have any particularly bad matchups. I might write more about this later but the abstract is that this team is hot fire and will win you games. Also updating the Aegislash spread to beat the 110s is probably a good idea.

This is the only team that has beaten Kyle ever.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
KyleCole vs Stratos
vs
vs

Doubles Open
Round Robin Finals

Arcticblast vs Laga
vs
Ttar + Excadrill did well. 3/3 wins.

It seems like the days when Tyranitar has been continuously getting worse and worse might finally be over.

Or maybe it's because none of the opponents used Lando-T against it. #banlandot #bringbackttar. But no, please don't suspect Lando-T.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I gotchu KyleCole
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

Last edited:

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |
W |

L |

W |

L |
edit: sorry that there are no mega sprites! i did everything p much manually and couldn't be bothered to add the "-mega" like 220 times

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Awesome effort Level 51!!

Hm probably the most interesting thing I'd note based on roughly eyeballing the numbers (maybe I'm wrong, I didn't count) is that in rounds 6 and 7 Ghosts weren't super common, but by late rounds everyone and their brother was using Aegislash or Gengar or Sableye, or occasionally Jellicent.

The Kanga fear increases over time!

Level 51

I thought it was pretty interesting that whereas in the Spring (or Winter 1 or whatever that thing was) Seasonal a lot of people were playing unique teams in later rounds, here we had a bunch of people using identical teams (KyleCole rain, Laga hailroom, etc) that I noticed while collecting the data. Stealing random teams gets you pretty far it seems :flex:

Also! I forgot to mention this, but each pair of teams (W followed by L) represents a single battle, so you can see which team won and which lost in the matchup too! Take these numbers with a pinch of salt though, since other factors like timer, "I need to go lol", and massive chokes did contribute to some of those wins.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Kyle, I'll just copy paste my post from the Stats thread, these are the teams used from SPL7:
From Stats thread said:
Here are all teams used, the L in front of a team implies the team has lost. The W in front of a team implies the team has won. I tried to follow Level 51's layout, but I couldn't get rid of the /'s between Pokemon without fucking up the formatting or having to do everything over again. I hope you enjoy! n__n
http://puu.sh/mKnH0/56f5f60f68.txt
L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

*Laga did not reveal his Mega in his game vs BLOOD TOTEM
L |
/
/
/
/
/

*W |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

*Braverius did not reveal his Mega in his game vs Laga
W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

L |
/
/
/
/
/

W |
/
/
/
/
/

* |
/
/
/
/
/

* |
/
/
/
/
/

*TheFourthChaser disconnected from his game with Laga. There hasn't been a proper recreation yet, but these are the teams used in the match.

Last edited:
I love the creativity behind this spl. It seems like every other match there's something unexpected that not only the players but everyone watching is excited about as well. I've got high hopes for what's to come in the next few rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)