Monotype Team Grass

Grass type has various problems in monotype. It has a weaknesses to Bug-, Fire-, Flying-, Ice-types and the first three are popular types in Monotype. Its members aren't very fast so they can't rely on preemptive strategies and must adopt a defensive style. Besides they only have and advantage against three-types: Ground, Rock and Water and a resistance to Electric.
So what more of a reason is there to build a team of them other than the challenge it provides? I tried to diversify the standard team a bit but I need some help with its evaluation.

All help is welcome.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Mega-Venusaur is a great pokémon. Is ability, Thick Fat minimizes the damage of Ice- and Fire-type moves normalizing the damage from these moves leaving only Psychic as a great threat. Leech Seed and Synthesis assure its recovery and Earthquake is a coverage option. Sludge Bomb is the stab attack and has a chance of poisoning the opponent.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a counter against Fairy-, Ice-, and Poison Pokémon. I chose a defensive set of moves. Spikes allows Ferrothorn to punish switching, Leech Seed provides some recovery when combined with Leftovers and Protect and Gyro Ball takes advantage of Ferrothorn abysmal speed to inflict some damage on pokémon that are sensible to it.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stun Spore
- Toxic
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast

Grass-type Pokémon have a problem with Speed. Since they are not very fast, they must rely on priority or a defensive style to win battles. I chose Whimsicott to use the first. Thanks to Prankster, Stun Spore and Toxic are priority moves and Whimsicott can proceed to cripple sweepers with the first and defensive pokémon with the second. Energy Ball and Moonblast are stab moves that take advantage of Whimsicott's Speed and Special Attack. moonblast in special is effective against Dark-type pokémon that are immune to Prankster affected moves.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Hydro Pump

Ludicolo is part of the the two-point solution to the speed of the grass problem together with Whimsicott. Using Rain Dance and the Swift Swim ability Ludicolo becomes much faster than a good chunk of the opposition and manages to damp Fire-type moves a bit. I chose the rest of its moves to inclued coverage and stab power so I selected Ice Beam, Energy Ball and Hydro Pump. Since its role is more of an attacker I chose Life Orb to power these moves.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

The Grass type has a serious disadvantage against the Poison-type, so this team has 3 was of dealing with it. Venusaur shares the type and can absorb Toxic Spikes form the battlefield. Ferrothorn has an immunity against Poison type attacks and can whittle them down. Celebi is the third option since its Psychic-type and Life Orb garantee a super effective stab with Psychic. Recover allows Celebi to withstand the effects from Life Orb for more turns, Energy Ball is another Special stab attack and Earthquake is a coverage option.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Stone Edge

Cradily is here thanks to its Rock-typing which resists Flying-type moves and damages Bug-types significantly.. It deals with them thanks to a stab Stone Edge. Since it is a pokémon that lacks a bit in the attack spectrum, it has to rely on Toxic to inflict damage and Recover to waste the opponent's turns. Giga Drain is a stab to deal with Ground-, Rock- and Water-types.

Hey, nice team! I’ve noticed that you’ve been posting a bunch of Mono rmts.

Firstly, as I usually suggest, add an importable, replays, and other cosmetic edits.

Secondly, replace whimsicott with tapu bulu. It provides a speedy mon, and physical help.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Horn Leech

There are many more changes to be made, but this should start you out.

Last edited:
Hey. This team seems to have some glaring issues that I think should be fixed:

First, Mega Venusaur relies on a bulkier spread so that it can take more hits. I would suggest making it physically defensive with 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe with a Bold nature. The Speed investment allows you to outspeed Mantine and Mandibuzz, which are very important Defoggers that you can poison with Sludge Bomb before they remove hazards, or in Mandibuzz's case, U-turn pivot. Another suggestion for Mega Venusaur would be replacing Earthquake with Hidden Power Fire as a means of beating Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, and replacing Leech Seed with Giga Drain. The final change is because you already have Leech Seed on Ferrothorn, and without Giga Drain Mega Venusaur loses the ability to pressure Pokemon like Suicune, Manaphy, and Hippowdon. The set should look like this:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

For Ferrothorn, the only suggestion I have for it is to change its spread to 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD with a Relaxed nature. This spread will allow it to always live a Focus Blast from Landorus from full health. This is especially nice for when you want to get up a layer of hazards against Ground. Here's the set:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Magikingdra already suggested to replace Whimsicott with Tapu Bulu, and I definitely agree with this. Unfortunately Whimsicott is an incredibly underwhelming Pokemon on Grass teams. While it does have some decent utility, Encore fails to stop Z-move sweepers like Volcarona, Gyarados, and Naganadel, and Stun Spore has its shaky accuracy. Tapu Bulu with a Choice Scarf not only offers a powerful offensive presence, but also the ability to check threats such as Mega Charizard Y, Blacephalon,

My next suggestion would be to replace Ludicolo with Breloom. Ludicolo is incredibly underwhelming as a rain sweeper thanks to having lacking support from Grass teams. Even under rain, it has lacking Special Attack, making it very difficult to break past defensive Pokemon like Celesteela. Breloom offers a lot more for Grass teams with its access to Spore and strong priority in Mach Punch. Its set can be largely customized depending on preference, as seen here:

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Now for the Celebi. My first suggestion would be Hidden Power Fire over Recover. This change will allow Celebi to handle Steel types like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and especially Mega Scizor, since that can outspeed Mega Venusaur and pose a serious threat to the rest of the team.

And as for my final suggestions, replace Giga Drain with Stealth Rock on Cradily. Stealth Rock is an essential move for pretty much every Monotype team, and is especially important for Grass as a means of wearing down threatening types like Fire, Flying, and Bug.

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Horn Leech

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)