Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Fighting Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 342-404 (52.4 - 61.9%)
Who has the courage to try to land 2 hits in a row?
To avoid a 1-line post, think about the Freeze-Dry coverage that not even Tera Blast can give.

Great news. It's nice to see a ban in DLC 2 besides Arch. Volc in particular was way too much cheese and matchup flipping. Not dealing with it will make things much easier on the builder. It was very necessary to see it go.

I mean I'm glad Volc went, but I feel like the tera problem will be unavoidable at a certain point, since i common thread amongst all the brokens and potential brokens not named waterpon or Kyurem on Finch's graph is almost all due to tera, I think tera is actively making the meta less fun to play, amd is the reason why I don't engage because the tier isn't fun and is not fun to build teams for at all, not banning tera is easily the biggest tiering mistake of this entire gen, and I think we as a community need to take accountability for that.
As someone who has also been anti-Tera, I don't really think this is the time to harp on it. I also believe the Volc ban would be more likely to result in action on Tera than if it hadn't happened. Off the top of my head, you can now point to at least Regieleki, Espathra, and Volcarona that were banned in part because of Tera Blast specifically. Ogerpon has one form banned and another heavily on the radar, both of which probably wouldn't be needed without Tera. There has been a lot of stuff that was broken regardless, but now pretty much everything that is left is a borderline threat. A potential case is forming that an increasing percentage of these bans are/will be because Tera pushed them over the top.

I'm surprised people voted out Volc, thought it was gonna be a lot more contentious

At this point though, when we ban everything like what are we left with?

I don't even play SV anymore but I'm still an onlooker who pays close attention to the tier.

I'm just gonna keep engaging with oldgens and discuss the current metagame and not play it unless tera gets out, because I know deep down the meta would be better with it gone and it's upsetting that players keep ignoring it despite being responsible for a large portion of the OU tier's issues at its core.
ok cool thanks for sharing and were banning ur 4head next

Great news. It's nice to see a ban in DLC 2 besides Arch. Volc in particular was way too much cheese and matchup flipping. Not dealing with it will make things much easier on the builder. It was very necessary to see it go.

As someone who has also been anti-Tera, I don't really think this is the time to harp on it. I also believe the Volc ban would be more likely to result in action on Tera than if it hadn't happened. Off the top of my head, you can now point to at least Regieleki, Espathra, and Volcarona that were banned in part because of Tera Blast specifically. Ogerpon has one form banned and another heavily on the radar, both of which probably wouldn't be needed without Tera. There has been a lot of stuff that was broken regardless, but now pretty much everything that is left is a borderline threat. A potential case is forming that an increasing percentage of these bans are/will be because Tera pushed them over the top.
Yes and that has been one thing I have been saying, but let's just focus on a Waterpon or a 2nd Kyurem suspect since their brokenness ties to other stuff.

ok cool thanks for sharing and were banning ur 4head next
Done with the philosophical stuff now so no need

I was having a pretty tiring and busy day but then I heard Volc got banned so my day is good!

Thanks guys (now plz dont ban kyurem next i like him - your local 1280 elo player)

Hopefully kyurem is next
It's barely been three months since the last kyurem suspect has been concluded, I don't know if smogon has actual policy for this but it seems like a bit of a slap in the face of anyone who took the time to get reqs and voted no ban to have that invalidated already. Maybe if the majority of the no ban voters from back then turn out to have changed their mind on a tiering survey it could be considered.

It's barely been three months since the last kyurem suspect has been concluded, I don't know if smogon has actual policy for this but it seems like a bit of a slap in the face of anyone who took the time to get reqs and voted no ban to have that invalidated already. Maybe if the majority of the no ban voters from back then turn out to have changed their mind on a tiering survey it could be considered.
If the playerbase feels Kyurem is the most broken thing of OU, this is not a very good argument. I myself think Kyurem is not broken at all though and would Suspect Waterpon (having several other Mon in the list before Kyurem as well).