Sun & Moon OU Reservation Index (READ THE OP)

I can't find Magneton on the list, would I be able to reserve it? While the Talonflame nerf has hurt it a little, it feel that it still finds its niche over Magnezone. It's still able to outspeed stuff like Weavile, non-mega Zam and Torn-T which is nice, as well as (Mega) Gyarados and Dragonite after a DD. One of the main selling points of this thing though is its ability to outpace Dugtrio. It's actually able to OHKO it with Flash Cannon after a little bit of chip damage (2 layers of Spikes and SR). Additionally, Greninja being back in OU is great for it as it's able to outspeed even max speed variants. It outspeeds Ash-Greninja too, if it's not +Speed.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Why is Omastar getting an analysis but Kabutops isn't? Did it get dropped or something?

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
I'd like to do one on Victini. Great defensive typing combined with 100/100/100 natural bulk (especially for coming on on fairy and grass attacks), scary coverage, extremely powerful (base power wise) and accurate (due to victory star) moves, good coverage, glaciate makes it very hard to switch in to.

AccidentalGreed I know you've been using the substitute set, did you find it effective at all?

I would like to write an analysis for Dragalge. Due to its typing, special bulk, and Adaptability (along with high BP moves), Dragalge threatens Pokes such as Tangrowth, Venusaur, Koko, Fini, Bulu, Ash-Greninja, Zard-Y, and more with its Choice Specs set. It can also run Toxic Spikes, but I believe Specs is more effective.

I'd like to write an analysis for salazzle. I am aware she's on the list of Pokémon not getting and analysis, but I feel she deserves one. It can run 2 sets pretty well, a wallbreaker with firium z or life orb and a choice scarf set. Its fire and poison type STAB gives it a type advantage over steel and fairy types,which are both seen on almost every team. It also has 4× resistances to 3 types so it can switch in more. Its speed tier allows it to our speed most relevant mons. It also has access to nasty plot, which gives it more of a niche over mega zam and gengar. As for the scarf set, it can afford to run modest and still outspeed 100 base speed Mons at +1 with 252 EVs and a speed boosting nature. Its fire blast hits harder than any other relevant scarfer can hit besides pheromosa. Because of how valuable its revenge killing and wallbreaking capabilities can be for hyper offense, I think it merits an analysis.

Calcs:
Life orb
252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 385-455 (127.9 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 359-426 (93.9 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 354-416 (98.8 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 640-754 (181.8 - 214.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 260-307 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 244-291 (67.2 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These Calcs show that even without boosts salazzle can heavily sent some of the tier's strongest walls.
Choice scarf
252+ SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 204-240 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 390-458 (138.7 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 326-386 (108.3 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 270-320 (96 - 113.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 225-265 (86.2 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Again, this shows salazzle is a viable revenge killer.
I don't see a reason to use this Pokemon with your mentioned sets if you can run stronger special Attackers like Alakazam, Greninja, Volcarona, Tapu Koko. These pokemon can hit as hard as Salazzle and are faster or have a better opportunity to set up (Volcarona). You said that Nasty Plot is a niche over strong special attackers but when you do want to get the Nasty Plot setup with those defensive stats?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah we're not allowing Salazzle.

First there's no replays to support the claim on a mon that already has been blacklisted from an analysis. That's awful.

Secondly, even though it has the niche of hitting Steel-types it still is walled by common threats such as Toxapex and Heatran if you have Hidden Power Ice. Yes you have Corrosion, but to rely on Corrosion is pretty awful in general when you can use mons in a good Speed tier to shut it down. I mean, nothing about this mon seems really good and the only set I would even humor is SubDisable. Plot is too frail, too slow, and too weak. Scarf sounds ass considering that Volcarona probably would set up another QD unless it fears Poison, and Firium Z sounds like a total waste.

No Salazzle analysis.

I wanna nominate Kabutops for an analysis because its a really effective rain sweeper, and a staple on rain. On the VR it is B- while some lower stuff like Reuniclus and Talonflame have gotten analyses. Kabutops has a solid niche as the only physical rain sweeper outside of mega swampert. Its ability to break through some of rain's biggest problems such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur is really great for it, and if Omastar is worthy of an analysis kabutops should definitely get one as well.

some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-243499 -this was r1 of ost. opponent could have played better, but Kabutops put the team on its back
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-535140654 - r2 of ost using the same team agains njnp. Kabutops didn't put in that much work, but if it ever got to +2 in the rain the game would have been over. Rotom dies to CC, Zygarde needed to be weakened but still died at around 60, ferro died to superpower, terrak died to fall, and clef died to fall. I always had it in the back if any of my other wincons (kingdra, lele) died

too lazy to find other replays but you get the point

I'd like to nominate Conkeldurr for OU. Please if it's on the list tell me, because I didn't see it. Anyway, It's high attack can devastate teams and paired with an Assault Vest it's hard to take down. Access to Drain Punch allows it to deal heavy damage and recover itself in the process. It also gets Knock-Off, an annoying move with 90% chance to OHKO life orb Latios. Ok, maybe it's slow, but it does have priority. Ice Punch can take out dragon types, flying and ground. So yeah, plz give him an analysis.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to nominate Conkeldurr for OU. Please if it's on the list tell me, because I didn't see it. Anyway, It's high attack can devastate teams and paired with an Assault Vest it's hard to take down. Access to Drain Punch allows it to deal heavy damage and recover itself in the process. It also gets Knock-Off, an annoying move with 90% chance to OHKO life orb Latios. Ok, maybe it's slow, but it does have priority. Ice Punch can take out dragon types, flying and ground. So yeah, plz give him an analysis.
It's not being considered for an OU analysis (and not on the list) nor is it likely unless you're able to convince people in this thread of its relevance in the metagame and how it fares against common OU threats. I wouldn't be surprised if it was given the pink slip, though, considering it performs super terribly against the majority of A and S threats in the Viability Rankings.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The meta is very unforgiving to Conkeldurr as is, and the power spike given to some Pokemon makes it more often a liability than a helpful Pokemon. I don't see what has changed in favor of Conkeldurr from its previous rejection from when LittleLucario wrote it.

No to Conkeldurr analysis.

I guess I'll take Honchkrow. I'm kinda new to Smogon, and I would like to try making an analysis.
Hello and welcome to Smogon! I'd recommend lurking around a little more and seeing how thing are run before jumping into making analyses. Honchkrow isn't a viable Pokemon in the OU metagame as it is outclassed by other dark- and flying- types, namely Bisharp and Mega Pinsir, so its not going to get an analysis.

Sorry. First of all, my internet temporarily crashed and it didn't save the entire analysis. And second of all, I think I posted this on the wrong forum. Not so sure if (trying) to join Smogon was a good idea in the first place...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)