Sun/Moon Good Cores Discussion Thread

Just to add to the concept of a Grassy Terrain/Rain team with Bulu and Marowak, rain dish and dry skin mons would get great benefit from the rain + grassy terrain combo. Toxicroak seems like a pretty powerful ally for Marowak and Bulu and seems like he'd work especially well.

Edit: Also probably just a good ally for them even if you go weatherless

Last edited:
Just to add to the concept of a Grassy Terrain/Rain team with Bulu and Marowak, rain dish and dry skin mons would get great benefit from the rain + grassy terrain combo. Toxicroak seems like a pretty powerful ally for Marowak and Bulu and seems like he'd work especially well.

Edit: Also probably just a good ally for them even if you go weatherless
Toxicroak also appreciates having its EQ weakness taken care of, and provides a good answer to fairies and rock types on the switch in. However, it's another mon weak to flying and is SUPER weak to psychic if it's priority use is neutered. Tapu Lele or mega Alakazam are gonna walk right over it.

another one i've been thinking about is pelipper/kingdra and pelipper/tapu fini. pelipper and kingdra hitting with 110 special moves that are both boosted/100% accurate in the rain? and kindgra having double speed and it already being in OU because of that? yes yes very nice yes

fini i've been thinking about more as a defensive core. what do people think? kindgra/fini/pelipper won't work due to misty terrain screwing over kingdra though

another one i've been thinking about is pelipper/kingdra and pelipper/tapu fini. pelipper and kingdra hitting with 110 special moves that are both boosted/100% accurate in the rain? and kindgra having double speed and it already being in OU because of that? yes yes very nice yes

fini i've been thinking about more as a defensive core. what do people think? kindgra/fini/pelipper won't work due to misty terrain screwing over kingdra though
Unless I'm missing something completely blatant, why does Misty Terrain screw Kingdra...? Doesn't Misty Terrain just boost it's Water attacks? Terrain doesn't get rid of Rain IIRC

Toxicroak also appreciates having its EQ weakness taken care of, and provides a good answer to fairies and rock types on the switch in. However, it's another mon weak to flying and is SUPER weak to psychic if it's priority use is neutered. Tapu Lele or mega Alakazam are gonna walk right over it.
That's true but I think he's still a decent option. Right now I'm thinking Bulu/Marowak/Empoleon/Toxicroak.

That's true but I think he's still a decent option. Right now I'm thinking Bulu/Marowak/Empoleon/Toxicroak.
Yes, Toxicroak is a good choice; but it's always prudent to know flaws so they can be patched up, y'know? Something like Gengar might be good to put the hurt on Psychics in general and Tapus in particular. (And Tapu Lele in even more particular)

252 SpA (Timid) Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 138-164 (95.1 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
And there's pretty much nothing outside of being scarfed that Lele can do to retaliate, since she gets rid of her own priority. I mean besides switching I guess

EDIT: MORE CALCULATIONS THIS TIME WITH ITEMS
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 179-213 (101.1 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, Toxicroak is a good choice; but it's always prudent to know flaws so they can be patched up, y'know? Something like Gengar might be good to put the hurt on Psychics in general and Tapus in particular. (And Tapu Lele in even more particular)

252 SpA (Timid) Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 138-164 (95.1 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
And there's pretty much nothing outside of being scarfed that Lele can do to retaliate, since she gets rid of her own priority. I mean besides switching I guess

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 179-213 (101.1 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also Gengar can now *participate* in terrain now. It sure appreciates not being weak to earthquake, even with its rather low defenses.

Could also just add a fast dark type, might even wanna go with a dark type mega like Sharpedo or Gyrados.

Personally I wanna use Mega Beedrill just cause I like him and he is getting buffed by the changes to mega evolution but he's probably not the best choice. A fast U-turn'er could be a good addition though and the team definitely needs a heavy hitter.

Edit: Bulu/Marowak/Toxicroak/Bisharp have no weaknesses and 7 immunities between them. I wonder if you can make a team where you have immunities to every type... and if that team would be any good.

Last edited:
This Tapu Bulu set is from vPixel because I couldn't think of a specific defensive spread

Tapu Bulu
@ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 236 Def
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Nature's Madness
- Toxic

Main point of this is of course to set up Grassy Terrain and keep it up for the teammates. Wood Hammer was alluring, but Zen Headbutt gives Bulu something to deal with fighting types due to lack of good fairy stab. It can also maybe pick off poison types if you're lucky. Nature's Madness and Toxic are both used to wear down opponents and encourage them to switch out. There needs to be some type of cleaner here to pick off low hp mons, but I'm not sure what to put on just yet. Dugtrio looked good for a while, but then I remembered that Earthquake would be halved in power for both players.

Xurkitree @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 96 HP / 28 Def / 232 spA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tail Glow

This Xurkitree set could use a lot of work, but the selling point is to rely on Grassy Terrain's extended effect to set up and deal a lot of damage with what is essentially a STAB Energy Ball. Grassy Terrain halves the power of Earthquake, meaning that one of Xurkitree's biggest fears is not so dangerous.

0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 28 Def Xurkitree: 144-170 (43.5 - 51.3%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

So, Landorus-T can't do much to you, while you can strike back with an HP that will guarntee a KO, even without a Tail Glow boost.

232+ SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 424-500 (111.2 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And lastly, while more offensive Ground types may seem like a problem, even Garchomp can't do enough to Xurkitree under Grassy Terrain.

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 28 Def Xurkitree: 156-186 (47.1 - 56.1%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO

It will still do a lot, but you can OHKO with an HP and then receive HP back from both the Leftovers and the Grassy Terrain.

232+ SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 404-476 (113.1 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kommo-o@ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat / Soundproof
EVs: 152 HP/ 252 SpA / 104 Spe (Speed Creep Scarf Lando-t)
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Autotomize

Kommo-o is quite an overlooked mon due to not having great offense stats and no high powered physical fighting STAB except for Brick Break and Sky Uppercut. But i believe it special set has some potential in it. It gets autotomize, above average bulk allowing it to set up and avoid it being revenge killed, and it also gets a high powered special dragon type move that doesn't lower its Spa in Clanging Scales.
Its calc results are surprisingly good too:

252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 257-304 (80.5 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO )
252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 211-250 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and its bulk is quite good as well

220+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 57-67 (17.3 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 147-174 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 133-159 (40.4 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

But of course, fairy type is going to be problems for Kommo-o, especially Azumarill, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Fini (Clefable can't switch to flash cannon i believe but still a problem), but luckly its teammates are ready to help

Salazzle@ Life Orb / Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
- Nasty Plot / Taunt

Salazzle can handle those annoying fairies with powerful poison STAB moves, it also disposes ferrothorn and scizor with flamethrower and cripples heatran and toxapex, so that kommo-o doesn't have to relying too much on Focus Miss.

Tapu Bulu
@ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe (speed creep rotom-w)
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Bulu is a premier choice of wallbreaker for this team due to its insane sheer power that can plows kommo-o's counter / revenge killer (notably chansey, scarf keldeo, etc) it also can setup grassy terrain for the team, weakening earthquake for sallazle and turning Lando-T and other earthquake reliant mons (minus garchomp) into Kommo-o's setup fodder, also passive recovery for teams is quite nice too.

Of course this core has many weaknesses to certain mons (weavile especially), but you can pair it with glue mons such as mega scizor, keldeo, etc. But this looks solid, at least for me

Last edited:
Had an idea for a core that supports Minior in getting in and setting up. Minior, Toxipex, and Decidueye.

Minior (Atlamillia)@ White Herb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpAtk
Ability: Shields Down
Rash/Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Gem
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Decidueye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp/20 Atk/240 SpDef
Ability: Long Reach
Careful/Adamant Nature
-Spirit Shackle
-U-turn
-Roost/Synthesis
-Defog/Lead Blade

Toxipex

I'm not quite done with it, since I don't have a set for Toxipex yet. The general idea is that the two defensive mons shore up Minior's weaknesses quite nicely, and Decidueye can get rid of stealth rocks that would ruin Minior, and get off a slow U-turn to bring it in at full health so it can set up. You can even add in a Ttar for sand support + a psychic immunity for Toxipex. An alternative item for Minior would be Focus Sash. Give it 0 defensive IVs and a SpDef reducing nature and bring it in on an electric type with a slow U-Turn. Shell Smash in his face and proceed to destroy his team.

Last edited:

Gen 7 has introduced a wealth of mons sure to make their presence felt in standard play this time around. While there are certainly a wealth of mind-boggling statspreads and abiltiies for trainers to fool around with, Pokemon has always been a game of team of combos, a sentiment which has been taken to the next level this generation with the introduction of 4 new automatic terrain setters. SkarmBliss, JellyThorn, and VoltTurn have left unforgettable impacts on past metas, and while we can't be sure of anything until the roster is available to everyone, terrific ideas have been floating around in various threads and chat rooms, so why not get to work compiling?

When posting cores, please try to include an explanation of non-252/252 EV spreads. Any cores which receive positive reviews from the community will be included in the archive below as cores to watch out for in SuMo. Please do not be lazy and assume we will automatically understand a core's function or utility. What may be obvious to you might be completely unviable in someone else's eyes.

Tapu Lele + Mega Zam

Toxapex + Ferrothorn
Hippowdon + Toxapex

Tapu Bulu + Heatran

Tapu Koko + Pelipper

None at present

I'll start with what looks to be a premier semi-stall core in the
making.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Explanation:
  • 3 immune to Poison, 2 immune to Spore
  • incredible defensive synergy
  • Defog/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock utility
  • anti-stall utility on both Gliscor and Toxapex
  • passive recovery options to limit cost of constant switches
  • 2 unaffected by Sandstorm
  • three of the best defensive abilities in the game in Poison Heal, Regenerator, & Iron Barbs

It's simple; Toxapex fears little from Close Combat and Flamethrower, Ferrothorn boasts major resistances to Psychic and Electric. Gliscor provides a much needed immunity to Earthquake, as well as a key resistance to Fighting (Ferrothorn) + immense physical bulk.

With the introduction of Tapu Koko and Xurkitree, as well as the return of old threats such as Magnezone, Manectric, and Raikou, Gliscor's ability to switch into Choice'd Thunderbolts and Wild Charges will be key in ensuring Toxapex' survivability. On this set, Toxapex is specially invested to give it the best possible shot at surviving LO Zam's Psychic, which OHKOs all variants without significant HP/SpD investment. Both Toxapex and Ferrothorn resist Gliscor's key weaknesses to Ice and Water.

Major threats:
M-Medicham's standard set of Hi Jump Kick/Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Fake Outposes a major threat, but is likely to cripple itself attempting to get through both Iron Barbs and Baneful Bunker. Another key threat is M-Metagross, who likewise hits each member of the core for supereffective damage on its most common moveset (Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt/Hammer Arm), and has the added boon of being immune to both Baneful Bunker and passive damage from Sandstorm. Hippoowdon can help on stall/semi-stall units.
you should link cores directly to the posts so that people can get context for why a certain core is solid

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this for a minute but I'm liking the sound of a defensive core of Bewear (a bulk up set), Mantine(defog/roost/scald/toxic | mixed bulk set), Clefable(wish/ protect/aromatherapy/moon blast | specially defensive set) . This was more thought over as a means to patch up Bewear's issues, but it sounds like a pretty solid defensive core over all. Stronger electric attacks are still pretty unchecked with this core but that can easily be patched up with an offensive ground type like Dugtrio or Garchomp (both of which really appreciate a cleric and Garchomp appreciates a wish passer).

This core really allows a sweeping psychic type shine with Bewear eating up basically everything that is going to one shot most psychic types. Tapu Lele or Alakazam (mega or not) are the first to come to mind. If given some more time (and sleep) I can come up with more detailed sets for these if wanted.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Aerial Ace/Poison Jab
- First Impression
- Liquidation

Trappers are in general kind of easy to build cores around but this one focuses on facilitating a trap without risking the trapper itself. Say the opponent has a Latios or something against something it can kill. With the threat of Tyranitar in the back, what should the Latios user do? Use Draco Meteor? Double into a fighting type like Keldeo or Pheromosa? Use Surf or Earthquake, if it has it? This is when you switch into Golisopod. If the Latios uses Psyshock or any coverage move, you live the hit and then scare it out with the threat of First Impression. If the Latios uses Draco Meteor, you use Emergency Exit to go into Tyranitar and trap it, no sweat off your back. And if the opponent doubles into something that handles Tyranitar, like a Water, Ground, or Fighting type, Golisopod can try and handle them due to their type synergy. If they predict that and it's a bad matchup you can then eat a hit and trap with Tyranitar if possible. Aerial Ace lets you do good damage to Keldeo so long as it doesn't burn you, and Poison Jab does a good amount to Azumarill or Tapu Fini. Priority moves let you pick off frailer things like Pheromosa. Liquidation gives you a good chance of 2HKOing Hippowdon.

This core highlights what I think one of Golisopod's main strengths will be: being used as a middle-man to bring in a trapper or a setup sweeper safely. It lets you revenge something with a trapper even when said trapper doesn't have enough HP to switch in normally, or when you want to preserve it for later on in the game. With an Assault Vest, Golisopod can take hits from stuff like Charizard, Gengar, M-Manectric, M-Metagross, and more, letting you bring in Tyranitar safely and click Pursuit. Obviously this core struggles against bulky mons cause Golisopod isn't really that strong, but it seems effective against offense. Something like Magnezone can handle some of the Steel types that give this core trouble, or any sort of wallbreaker that can break through stuff like Landorus-T, Toxapex, Conkeldurr, Buzzwole, M-Venusaur, etc. Golisopod can't really beat most Water types that it can check too. So it's definitely not a perfect core, or even a very good one by any stretch of the imagination but it's a potential use of Golisopod's unique ability.

Last edited:
No-brainer Terrain/Offensive Core here:

upload_2016-11-15_3-16-0.png

Mega Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
EVs: 252 Att / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Strong Jaw
Naive Nature
-Waterfall
-Crunch / Ice Fang
-Psychic Fang
-Protect
upload_2016-11-15_3-14-5.png

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb/Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt

Psychic Terrain is *huge* for Mega Sharpedo who no longer has to worry about priority mach punch, e-speeds, or gale wings-brave bird (rip). On top of that, psychic terrain gives a nifty 1.5x boost to Mega Shark's new Psychic Fangs, which is further boosted by Strong Jaw. This allows Mega Sharpedo to muscle past Amoongus and Mega Venusaur as well as a reliable way to beat Keldeo. Tapu Lele also rips through bulky Water and Grass types that Mega Sharpedo struggles against. In return, Mega Sharpedo wipes out any pesky Fire and Steel types or specially bulky mons that Tapu Lele struggle with.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 359-422 (71.6 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 331-390 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 290-342 (67.2 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (85 BP Psychic type to simulate Psychic Fangs)
+1 252 Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 432-510 (100.2 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Psychic Terrain necessary for the OHKO)

Attachments

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Aerial Ace/Poison Jab
- First Impression
- Liquidation

Trappers are in general kind of easy to build cores around but this one focuses on facilitating a trap without risking the trapper itself. Say the opponent has a Latios or something against something it can kill. With the threat of Tyranitar in the back, what should the Latios user do? Use Draco Meteor? Double into a fighting type like Keldeo or Pheromosa? Use Surf or Earthquake, if it has it? This is when you switch into Golisopod. If the Latios uses Psyshock or any coverage move, you live the hit and then scare it out with the threat of First Impression. If the Latios uses Draco Meteor, you use Emergency Exit to go into Tyranitar and trap it, no sweat off your back. And if the opponent doubles into something that handles Tyranitar, like a Water, Ground, or Fighting type, Golisopod can try and handle them due to their type synergy. If they predict that and it's a bad matchup you can then eat a hit and trap with Tyranitar if possible. Aerial Ace lets you do good damage to Keldeo so long as it doesn't burn you, and Poison Jab does a good amount to Azumarill or Tapu Fini. Priority moves let you pick off frailer things like Pheromosa. Liquidation gives you a good chance of 2HKOing Hippowdon.

This core highlights what I think one of Golisopod's main strengths will be: being used as a middle-man to bring in a trapper or a setup sweeper safely. It lets you revenge something with a trapper even when said trapper doesn't have enough HP to switch in normally, or when you want to preserve it for later on in the game. With an Assault Vest, Golisopod can take hits from stuff like Charizard, Gengar, M-Manectric, M-Metagross, and more, letting you bring in Tyranitar safely and click Pursuit. Obviously this core struggles against bulky mons cause Golisopod isn't really that strong, but it seems effective against offense. Something like Magnezone can handle some of the Steel types that give this core trouble, or any sort of wallbreaker that can break through stuff like Landorus-T, Toxapex, Conkeldurr, Buzzwole, M-Venusaur, etc. Golisopod can't really beat most Water types that it can check too. So it's definitely not a perfect core, or even a very good one by any stretch of the imagination but it's a potential use of Golisopod's unique ability.
I'd run Leech Life over Aerial Ace/Poison Jab. You can't go wrong with a base 80 power STAB Draining Move. It's a reliable Bug STAB after Golisopod has used First Impression, and the recovery will help keep it healthy so it has more chances to use First Impression.

Aerial Ace hits Keldeo, yeah, but it's not like Keldeo can really do much to Golisopod besides fish for burns.

I'd run Leech Life over Aerial Ace/Poison Jab. You can't go wrong with a base 80 power STAB Draining Move. It's a reliable Bug STAB after Golisopod has used First Impression, and the recovery will help keep it healthy so it has more chances to use First Impression.

Aerial Ace hits Keldeo, yeah, but it's not like Keldeo can really do much to Golisopod besides fish for burns.
While I agree on the aerial ace being super situational I feel like being walled by two fairy types that are probably going to be pretty prominent in ou this gen is a big deal. Tapu Fini is gonna be pretty common and I don't see Azumarill going anywhere. Keldeo can be easily countered by something else but why not allow this thing to counter two major threats to Tyranitar? Isn't that kinda the point of a core? Poison Jab at least hits Keldeo neutrally.

While I agree on the aerial ace being super situational I feel like being walled by two fairy types that are probably going to be pretty prominent in ou this gen is a big deal. Tapu Fini is gonna be pretty common and I don't see Azumarill going anywhere. Keldeo can be easily countered by something else but why not allow this thing to counter two major threats to Tyranitar? Isn't that kinda the point of a core? Poison Jab at least hits Keldeo neutrally.
True, but I'd say that Aerial Ace and Poison Jab should be slashed with Aqua Jet if they're going to be used.

With Tapu Lele around, running more than one priority move might not be a very good idea. When Psychic Terrain is in effect, that's two useless moves.

True, but I'd say that Aerial Ace and Poison Jab should be slashed with Aqua Jet if they're going to be used.

With Tapu Lele around, running more than one priority move might not be a very good idea. When Psychic Terrain is in effect, that's two useless moves.
That's a good point, but Poison jab will wreck tapu Lele in the situation she's in. Leech life is only neutral. Having an assault vest set with absolutely no coverage sounds like a bad idea.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Pretty sure receiver/power of alchemy is confirmed not to work in singles.
Number one rule of studying new gen mechanics: never trust descriptions to actually tell you what's happening. Example: water bubble.
Already tested by yetanotherperson on page 9 of Mechanics Research thread. It doesn't work in singles
Just read the thread...
R.I.P...
ShulkRoughShotMeRN.png

Replace EQ or Uturn for Protect, then (On Passimian). Probably run White Herb/Lum Berry/Expert Belt as well.

Fairy Spam (Magearna + Tapu Lele + Mega Diancie)

A type-spam core. Gen 7 introduced a ton of powerful fairies and gave a significant buff to Mega Diancie with the Mega Evolution changes. The game plan is simple: nuke stuff with Magearna and Tapu Lele to weaken common Fairy checks for RP Diancie's sweep. Psychic Terrain protects Diancie from Bullet Punches and Aqua Jets. Dugtrio and Magnezone work well with this core to trap Steels, and Magearna's Volt Switch can bring them in easily.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Aura Sphere

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender / Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Focus Blast
- Taunt / Calm Mind

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power

HP Fire and Ground/Fighting coverage are slashed on each member's sets. You can mix and match this coverage slot depending on how you want to handle Steel types. Magearna has 56 speed EVs to speed creep Skarmory so it can Volt Switch before Roost. The rest go into HP to take advantage of its respectable bulk and incredible typing. Diancie has 32 Atk EVs to 2HKO the standard physically defensive Zapdos.

Mega Gardevoir over Diancie also works. It benefits even more from Psychic Terrain than Diancie does, though it's worse against offensive teams.
This core looks absurdely promising. But could work with just two of these mons. Even still, 2/3 or 3/3 of these mons w/ dugtrio looks to be far more threatening than birdspam ever was. Especially since aegislash is the best check to all of them and it lacks recovery. Wow, bring on fairy spam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)