Stall

I've been trying to make a good stall team for X/Y since it came out and was basically talking to locopoke about teams we've faced on Battlespot and how stall teams of Skarmory/Gourgeist/Chansey rape people because of how offensive moves were either nerfed/offensive mons have become 1 dimensional...the idea of Gourgeist/Skarmory is appealing and the team went from there.

I'm not looking forward to Pokebank, but in the meantime, remember this is a RMT for standard OU, NOT Pokebank :SSSS

->

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Is my Stealth Rock user, Talonflame counter, and is a great lead vs current metagame fucker Galvantula. I originally had Leftovers but Tyranitarite is better. I like Protect for scouting, Hi Jump Kick misses from Blaziken, and just general stuff like racking up Burn/Toxic damage. One other bonus of Protect is I can freely mega-evolve vs a threatening opponent without taking damage, allowing me to switch into attacks later with my mega-evolution's increased stats. I honestly have never wanted Earthquake to this point, Gliscor covers pretty much anything I actually want to Earthquake. TTar is max hp/max sdef because it acts as a backup to Blissey, dealing with the dragon-type special attackers in the tier. It also allows him to take attacks from Starmie and kill it with Crunch, one of the more annoying Rapid Spinners.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic

This basically counters everything relevant...Lucario, Physical Aegislash, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Absol, etc but mostly acts a pretty failsafe solution to those first two. I'm not even sure what the 72 speed is for, PS recommended it and it's outrun everything it's needed to outrun so I'm keeping it...I wish there was more to say but it plays the same way as last gen.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Probably the best new Pokemon in gen 5 so far imo. Ghost/Grass 85/122 is pretty much the perfect defensive typing, and Gourgeist is part of the trio stopping physical attackers on this team. ATM, it's pretty much the best CB Azumarrill counter we'll get, and also a great counter to Garchomp, Excadrill, etc. Speaking of Excadrill, this really does a great job of blocking Rapid Spin. Donphan, Forry, and Exca all take Will-O-Wisp and can't spin away seed. Forry is the only Pokemon I'd be worried about because of it's set up capabilities, hence Flamethrower on Blissey. Also a surprisingly solid answer to Gyarados atm, even with the weakness to Mega-Gyarados Bite - it's easy to burn and then recover health via Leech Seed. Shadow Sneak can revenge weakened Alakazam, Gengar, other stuff.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

I chose Skarmory as my spiker, he is the best answer to Scizor atm as they lack Superpower, and also shits on random garbage like DD Dragonite, Mawile, Kangaskhan, Gliscor, Malimar, and other mons the rest of my team could potentially have trouble with. I think Brave Bird is still the best option because you need something to kill last mon Scizors/Gliscor/etc. It's also this team's only option vs Trevanent with Lum Berry/Rest Because this team has 2 other defenders of similar prowess to Skarmory, I've never really felt pressured enough that I don't get hazards when I want them.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Seismic Toss

In this early undefined metagame, this is really good. Gengar is just shit on by it, so is Hydreigon, Goodra, Noivern, Electric-sweepers, special Aegislash etc. This is basically how i beat Ferrothron/Forretress atm other than Wisp + hazards stalling. Flamethrower really just works vs them, and does allow me to beat (or significantly weaken) Disable Gengar, which would otherwise beat this team with ease. I've been considering Aromatherapy over Seismic Toss because of burn really fucking this team up (and wow Will o Wisp Mega Absol is just a bitch to fight).

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 196 Atk / 240 HP / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

I opted for this as a spinner, it's actually just done a great job of killing Rotom-W's so far with Mold Breaker EQ and it is still one of the best Spinners in the game regardless. I've actually considered Shadow Claw over Rock Slide just because it could kill weakened Gourgeist/Trev after a Swords Dance but it seems far too situational, compared to Rock Slide just working vs several switch-ins ranging from Togekiss to Zapdos to Talonflame. This can keep the pressure on offensively and defensively, while keeping me far ahead in the hazards game. It honestly is probably the least used Pokemon on the team, so I would definitely look to find something else that puts me ahead, although this might be it.

I really like this team so far, every other stall team I made sucked and I think it was just that I overhyped fairy-types. For now, this team tackles pretty much every physical threat, and with most of the megas focusing on the physical aspect, I think that puts me ahead. I'd say Mega Garchomp and Mega Absol played well certainly scare me the most, but I've handled every other mega with...ease, and there aren't too many surprises being played that this team couldn't handle them. I think it's too passive once Defog becomes mainstream, but until then, it's a fun one for sure.

Hey KD, this is a pretty good stall team, and it really shows how strong Stall is in the metagame right now being able to check almost every threat (fuck Pokebank :[)

Something that I think you forgot to think about which really messes with this team is Nasty Plot Lucario, which can set up on Tyranitar (and Blissey to an extent depending on if you risk staying in or not). I'm not sure if Excadrill is doing anything else extensively aside from Spinning, so maybe I would recommend a Specially Defensive Tentacruel or something to help handle it.

Cool team though.

hey, nice team. I build one that's jst about the same but with Quagsire instead of Gliscor which I think would be cool for yours aswel. It checks basicly the same stuff Gliscor checks but also boosters Gliscor can't like the aforementioned Luce, Blaziken etc. I recommend a set of Earthquake / Scald / Recover / Toxic with max HP and max physical defense. Maybe you want to try that out. Cool team nevertheless!

Played a few games with this team, and two biggest problems I noticed so far:
- SD/EQ/Ice Fang/Protect Gliscor with Toxic Orb. You actually can't do anything to this thing other than whirlwinding it out (and burning on the switch, but that's unlikely), and if that Gliscor is last mon on your opponent's side, you're screwed. Best you could do is give Skarmory Rocky Helmet and play a PP stall war. Or use Quagsire as Lohgock suggested, however Quagsire's bulk is noticeably lower, as it takes one hell of damage from some moves (CB Diggersby nearly OHKOes with EQ).
- same deal with Harvest/Sitrus Trevenant with WoW/Sub/Curse (yeah, that's a thing apparently). It's possible to play around it, for example if you manage to somehow Toxic it you can outstall with Blissey, but it's difficult, especially since you can't really slap a Talonflame on a stall team...

Few things your team has trouble with, mainly the big important ones:

- Mega Lucario NP set, SD set if your core is stretched out.
- Mega Gyara with taunt.

I would much rather see Trevanent over Gourgeist mainly because it can run Horn Leech and Natural Cure making it an excellent status sponge, this would cure your Mega Gyara problem flat out while not making yourself much weaker in the spinblock department.

As for Lucario, your probably going to want a move on TTar that hits it SE, as it stands its total +2 bait. EQ over crunch would probably do just fine, and leave Aegislash unable to do the mind games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)