Splatoon

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I see lots of beginners that use the Roller since it's so simple in Turf War, but as stated prior the Splattershot Jr, Splattershot/Tentatek Splattershot and any other typical weapon with a fast fire rate (like the Aerospray or N-Zap) are excellent choices as well.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i got splatoon yesterday :) !!! what's the best weapon for a beginner
hey, i'm glad to see more and more people get into splatoon, so here goes nothing.

the splattershot jr. is a safe bet for anyone learning the ropes of splatoon for the absolute first time. it spreads ink extremely well, has splat bombs (the standard grenade-type sub weapon; detonates one second after touching the ground) as its sub, and a "get-out-of-jail-free" card in its special (bubbler), making it easy for beginners to navigate the game. its only problem is a noticeable lack of range, meaning you have to get up close and personal to engage people, but that also helps teach the importance of sneaking around and catching your opponents by surprise (a very important fundamental in splatoon).

if you want just a bit more range in your shooters, then the splattershot and its variant (the tentatek splattershot) are appealing options. the default splattershot takes three shots to splat opponents and comes pre-packaged with burst bombs (weaker grenades with a smaller burst radius that detonate immediately on contact with opponents or the ground) as its sub weapon and burst bomb rush (which lets you throw as many burst bombs as you can in six seconds) as its special. the tentatek splattershot is a variant of the splattershot (which means that it takes the same number of shots to splat as the normal splattershot) that comes with suction bombs (stronger grenades that stick to surfaces and detonate a few seconds after being thrown) as its sub and the inkzooka (a rocket launcher-esque weapon that delivers long-range shots with enough strength to one hit splat any inklings that it runs into for 8 seconds). other good shooters for beginners include the n-zaps, the aerosprays (unlocked after clearing world #3 in single player), and the splash-o-matics.

rollers (the krak-on splat roller in particular) are nice for beginners to use because of their relative simplicity, but it's too easy for beginners to fall for the "roll-only" style of playing rollers (which, if you're familiar with tf2, is somewhat similar to the w+m1 pyros found there). this "roll-only" style leaves a player open and easy for more skilled players to exploit. rather, what you should do when playing rollers is to use the ink flick seen just before initiating a roll in conjunction with the roll itself to spread ink and flush enemies out.

pro tip: do bits and pieces of the single player campaign to help familiarize yourself with the controls of the game. this helps improve yourself when playing against other inklings online. also, use whatever camera control style (motion controls, sticks) you feel comfortable with, and don't be afraid to bump the camera sensitivity up or down until you feel steady.

if you have any more questions about starting off in splatoon, feel free to highlight me here.

Now to revive this..

So, uh, what does everyone think of the new map (the Museum d'Alfonso or whatever it's called). Also, if anyonw knows, how many new clothes were there?

thinking about purchasing splatoon, seeing as how much hype surrounds it. do you guys recommend it? i don't have the best internet connection to play online with (i can't play for glory in smash for example) but would that limit my enjoyment of the game?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thinking about purchasing splatoon, seeing as how much hype surrounds it. do you guys recommend it? i don't have the best internet connection to play online with (i can't play for glory in smash for example) but would that limit my enjoyment of the game?
This is basically an online multiplayer game, there is a single player, but it's not worth it just for that sadly.

hi guys, i'm a few weeks into splatoon; right now i'm level 25 and i got up to B+ rank pretty easily!! i think i'm on the verge of A- but i haven't played ranked lately because my home internet is garb.

anyway, could i get a few tips with chargers and rollers? i wanna try out different weapons since i've only been using the tentatek splattershot and .96 deco exclusively. i tried playing with krak-on and gold dynamo rollers but got pooped on basically. general tips will do.

ps: splatfest next week, burgers vs pizza :o just in time for finals!!!!!!!!!!

As a charger, it is a pretty bad idea to sit and camp as it makes you deadweight for your team, as well as the fact that it is a one trick pony in that you will get one or two kills before people realize where you are and avoid you.

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
Now to revive this..

So, uh, what does everyone think of the new map (the Museum d'Alfonso or whatever it's called). Also, if anyonw knows, how many new clothes were there?
There are 10 new pieces of headgear, 22 new pieces of clothing, and 10 new shoes.

hi guys, i'm a few weeks into splatoon; right now i'm level 25 and i got up to B+ rank pretty easily!! i think i'm on the verge of A- but i haven't played ranked lately because my home internet is garb.

anyway, could i get a few tips with chargers and rollers? i wanna try out different weapons since i've only been using the tentatek splattershot and .96 deco exclusively. i tried playing with krak-on and gold dynamo rollers but got pooped on basically. general tips will do.

I'm not a particularly good roller user either so I can't give much advice there, but as for chargers I agree with what -Tynamo- said. Just staying in the same spot won't help anyone, especially in Tower Control and Rainmaker where the points of actions are always moving. I'd say just to practice your aim, know the range of the specific charger you're using, and have lots of map knowledge in order to fit the best spots to snipe.

Rollers in ranked mode typically go for more of a stealth option. You can hide in ink and ambush other players (which Ninja Squid helps with) and also cover ground for your team to maneuver in. I think Special Charge Up is a good ability on rollers due to them covering ground fast as well as having good specials. For choices, I would recommend trying the Carbon Roller and the Splat Roller as options for ranked if Krak-On isn't working out for you. Now I'm not really sure about charger functionality so I'll just leave it at this. Best of luck, and hope this helped :)

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
To be honest most unplayable cases in For Glory are because of random kids sharing wifi with their whole family. Splatoon DOES require a stable connection or you will get disconnects every now and then, but there's a simple solution, which is buying a LAN adapter and play it wired. I can attest it worked wonders for me.

Sup, roller main here.
So, rollers are meant to be flanking weapons. You gotta be patient as you can't simply be on the frontlines or rolling ink everytime. Take constant looks on the gamepad map: even if you can't see their icons, look at the ink path and you'll most likely know where they are. Also a lot of times it's pretty okay to go full retard and die if you get more than one kill.
And to be honest this is the whole concept of the weapon: you are going to die often, but you will get a lot of kills as well. You are not meant to carry the team, but to create space, to force the whole enemy team to pursuit you after making a surprise flank. Things like that.

For beginners I highly recommend the vanilla splat roller, for having a great combination of spacing tools (suction bombs and killer whail), or the carbon roller for having options for mid and long range combat (burst bombs/inkzooka). The dynamos ain't that good after the recent nerf and ain't really user-friendly either, and the krak-on lacks coverage in general, as Kraken is also meant for close combat (beacons are super good for team support and keeping map control, though).
Abilities-wise, ninja squid seems logical as a flanking weapon class, but DON'T USE IT, it's pure garbage. You can still be seen and rollers definitely need the speed to keep up the pace. My bread and butter is usually swim speed up + ink resistance with a few defense ups as they can be real lifesavers (ie: making me live 3 shots against tentatek, which might get me the split second to finish the swing of the roller). As personal experience, I found special saver to be way better than special charge-up, 'cause you will be making trades (read: dying) very often and rollers already fill the gauge pretty decently.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

hi, and congrats on making it up to the b+ / a- ranks! i'm an s+ ranked (gold) dynamo roller, (custom) e-liter 3k scope, (kelp) splatterscope, and hydra splatling main, so i think i'm very qualified to give advice for the two weapon classes you've requested tips for.

---

tips for chargers:

before you do anything else, find out if you prefer playing with or without scopes. there are certain advantages and drawbacks to both that are very, very important to keep in mind. non-scoped chargers keep their peripheral vision even while being fully charged. they also get just a tad more mobility than their scoped counterparts. these two traits make it easier to avoid being flanked during your charge time. in comparison, scoped chargers zoom in during the charging process, giving a narrowed view of the field that makes it easier to pick off targets at a distance. the scoped variants also get a slight range boost, which gives them a slight edge over their non-scoped counterparts during a charger duel. do note that the answer to the question of which type of charger is better is purely a matter of personal preference.

once you have determined your preferences, learn how to snap your snipes. this is important because every time you start charging your shots, a laser of your team's ink color will appear from your charger's muzzle, which will give any alert targets a heads-up that you're getting ready to shoot them. snap sniping mitigates this vulnerability by making it harder for your opponents to see the laser and avoid the shot. this video by panda global squids next door's rocket (an extremely high-level splatoon player) and this guide by exultance gaming's citrus (another extremely high-level splatoon player) are excellent resources for when you start to learn how to use chargers.

also, during this time, determine the camera sensitivity level that you feel most comfortable snap-shooting with. higher camera sensitivities sacrifice precision and general stability for the ability to quickly re-adjust your aim and scan your surroundings, and vice versa for lower sensitivities. both of them have their uses, but i've learned that quite a few top players (e.g.: team paradise's thatsrb2dude, my own squadmate jayring627) prefer having a lowered sensitivity when using chargers. on the other hand, there are other charger users (panda global squids next door's rocket) that prefer having the ability to change their aim on a dime, so just play around with the camera settings until you feel comfortable.

with that said, let's get down to the chargers themselves. you have two varieties of chargers: quick chargers (medium range chargers that require a full charge or two charges to splat an opponent [e.g.: squiffers, bamboozlers]) and standard chargers (extremely long-range chargers that charge at a medium-to-slow rate and do not necessarily need a full charge to splat an opponent [e.g.: splat chargers, e-liters]). both types of chargers have their uses, but i prefer the latter type just because of the sheer range advantage they have over every other weapon and pressure they can cast on the field. for beginner charger users, i'd recommend starting with the splat charger / splatterscope because of its relatively balanced combination of range, charge speed, mobility, and ink efficiency, as well as its ability to somewhat reliably defend itself at close range with splat bombs. i'd avoid the e-liter 3k and its variants until you feel comfortable with the splat charger / splatterscope because it takes the charger stats to various extremes in both the positive (range!) and negative (charge speed, mobility, ink efficiency) directions.

as for abilities, i would recommend stacking damage up abilities first. having three damage up mains (or a close equivalent, such as 2 mains and 3 subs) helps reduce the charge time needed to reliably get splats on most opponents (assuming they do not stack defense up abilities) with the standard chargers. i would then follow this up with some ink recovery up mains / subs (which means you spend less time recovering ink and more time shooting), some ink saver (main) mains / subs (which can give you an extra shot from a full tank), and cold blooded, which helps retain some degree of stealth if an echolocator goes off. other useful but not quite as necessary abilities include swim speed up (useful mostly for the custom e-liter 3k to help enhance the kraken special), special charge up (which is great for both splat chargers / splatterscopes), quick respawn, defense up, and special saver.

my personal favorite charger gear are the legendary cap (because i gotta flex my level 50 status loool rolled two quick respawn subs yee), squid girl tunic (imo, it's the best-looking gear with damage up and i have two extra damage up subs on top of the damage up main), and bubble rain boots (oh man, they're so adorable and they favor defense up!). however, i will rotate my legendary cap with the white headband if i want ink recovery up, squid girl tunic with the anchor sweat or basic tee if i want cold blooded or more quick respawn, and my bubble rain boots with the cyan trainers or plum casuals if i want even more ink recovery up or swim speed up.

e: one more important point: you're going to suck for the first month or so of learning how to use chargers. this is normal. just keep going at it. you'll eventually get better :]

e2: on top of the guides i posted earlier, /u/justanotherbiomajor's guide is excellent reading material for further optimizing your charger gameplay.

---

tips for rollers:

royal flush made some excellent points in his / her (sorry for the ambiguity, but idk your gender) post above mine about rollers, so i won't go into as much detail about them as i did for chargers. however, i somewhat disagree with his / her point about the dynamo rollers. they still are excellent weapons even after the 2.2.0 nerf thanks to their unparalleled ability to maintain stage control, keep tabs on opponents (this section applies mostly to the vanilla dynamo), and never let up pressure unless the opponents dedicate one or two players to take the dynamo out. the current best splatoon team (we have come to make memories / omohide) has a dynamo main (kitkat) as one of their key members, and a few strong teams besides them (e.g.: speedrunslive, cyberbullies, inkopolis underground, and my own squad [the visionaries]) have at least one skilled dynamo main to work with. the main reason the dynamos are not too common a sight in the current competitive splatoon metagame is because of the relatively high learning curve found behind mitigating their weaknesses. yes, i may be biased thanks to my status as a dynamo main, but i think my points hold some water.

for new roller users, i'd start with at least one of the splat roller, krak-on splat roller, and / or carbon roller. these are the easiest rollers to get acquainted with. as for the dynamos, i'd consider them an entirely separate weapon because they really don't play like the normal rollers would. to make effective use of them, you have to put more of a focus on the flick portion of the roller's attack animation rather than the roll portion.

with that said, let's talk abilities. swim speed up is great to help get the drop on opponents, and if you're going to go with an all-out flanking approach and look to trade with opponents at the worst, stacking quick respawn will help make your deaths much less valuable than those of your opponents. special saver is an absolute lifesaver if you stack quick respawn because it helps you recover your special after getting splatted sooner than an equal investment in special charge up would. ninja squid is bad, but cold blooded is great for the same abilities i mentioned in the charger section above. also, while it may seem counter-intuitive, having some damage up subs / mains helps the roller-class weapons by making their flicks (and burst bombs in the carbon's case) do more damage. ink resistance is pretty much mandatory imo because rollers appreciate having as much mobility as possible and because rollers aren't going to be rolling all the time.

unlike the chargers, i can't really give out any one set i like using because each roller demands a different set of abilities to be focused on them. krak-on splat rollers tend to appreciate swim speed up, quick respawn, and special saver because of the kraken, while carbon rollers like having bomb range up, quick respawn, and damage up instead.

---

i didn't mean for this to be such a tl;dr post, but i really hope this helps anyone who wants to get acquainted with these two weapon classes. if you have further questions about these two weapon classes (or about the weapons i main in particular), please feel free to tag me here or vm / pm me.

Last edited:

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
royal flush made some excellent points in his / her (sorry for the ambiguity, but idk your gender) post above mine about rollers, so i won't go into as much detail about them as i did for chargers. however, i somewhat disagree with his / her point about the dynamo rollers. they still are excellent weapons even after the 2.2.0 nerf thanks to their unparalleled ability to maintain stage control, keep tabs on opponents (this section applies mostly to the vanilla dynamo), and never let up pressure unless the opponents dedicate one or two players to take the dynamo out. the current best splatoon team (we have come to make memories / omohide) has a dynamo main (kitkat) as one of their key members, and a few strong teams besides them (e.g.: speedrunslive, cyberbullies, inkopolis underground, and my own squad [the visionaries]) have at least one skilled dynamo main to work with. the main reason the dynamos are not too common a sight in the current competitive splatoon metagame is because of the relatively high learning curve found behind mitigating their weaknesses. yes, i may be biased thanks to my status as a dynamo main, but i think my points hold some water.
TBH I was more pointing out how the dynamos were the real nerfed ones of the last patch and how they ain't easy-rewarding anymore. I still see a lot of potential as a support weapon because of the unique physics, and after reading your post I don't think you are biased either. Actually the dynamos are the least played by me and you main it, so if anything I'm the biased one here lol.
And coming to think about it, dynamos probably still are terrific weapons to those playing at a high level, the real nerf happened to the people spamming jump ZR with random aiming, heh.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi I'm queez and I like splatoon

to break the ice: what's everybody's favorite ranked mode? mine is splat zones

I've never tried to but I'm assuming it isn't possible because there would be an uproar from people that bought the amiibos if you could.

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
I'm a big fan of Splat Zones also, I don't mind Rainmaker but I'm generally not good at Tower Control.

In response to brightobject, no you can't order amiibo gear from Spyke.

Another thing: the next (North American) Splatfest is Naughty vs Nice. I'm personally gonna be Naughty :P anyone else?

before you do anything else, find out if you prefer playing with or without scopes. there are certain advantages and drawbacks to both that are very, very important to keep in mind. non-scoped chargers keep their peripheral vision even while being fully charged. they also get just a tad more mobility than their scoped counterparts. these two traits make it easier to avoid being flanked during your charge time. in comparison, scoped chargers zoom in during the charging process, giving a narrowed view of the field that makes it easier to pick off targets at a distance. the scoped variants also get a slight range boost, which gives them a slight edge over their non-scoped counterparts during a charger duel. do note that the answer to the question of which type of charger is better is purely a matter of personal preference.
I agree with most everything in your post, but you forgot a massive advantage that scoped chargers have over non scopes: peeking (specifically, right side peeking). Chargers are held on the right side of the body, and the shot originates there as well. However, in non scopes your visibility originates from the center of your body, causing you to have the ability to shoot through walls. However, in scoped chargers your line of sight originates from the scope, in the same place where the shot originates. This allows you to expose yourself less while having full visibility, giving yourself a big advantage over non scopes.

The absence of tunnel vision does not make up for this massive advantage, imo.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guess what I got for Christmas.

I haven't played the game yet, but should I just jump right into the multiplayer or try out the singleplayer campaign to get used to the controls?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)