Spelling and Grammar Standards

The term "PerishTrap" or some variant of it is used often in GSC analyses. Personally, I prefer "Perish-trap" since it otherwise looks like VoltTurn or RestTalk (that is, "Trap" is not a move). Can I get a consensus on this and have it included in the list of coined terms?

Why avoid the "é"? I always make sure to include it, "Pokémon" has never been used in any official work without it!
The problem with this is that many people cannot type the "é" without copy-pasting it from somewhere else. To avoid unnecessary hassle, we have decided to type it as just "Pokemon".

I have another supposition - conventions such as "SubPunch" "SubCM" "SubSD" are commonly used, and several on-site analyses make use of the terms. My question is, can't we generalize this and make it such that any popular strategy that involves the use of Substitute + some other move should be abbreviated as Sub(move's abbreviation)?

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why avoid the "é"? I always make sure to include it, "Pokémon" has never been used in any official work without it!
The accented e is, like CP said, pretty much a hassle. Furthermore, it is also a matter of "born and raised"; that is, so many analyses lack the accent already that it is far easier to standardize an accentless e than the opposing view.

The term "PerishTrap" or some variant of it is used often in GSC analyses. Personally, I prefer "Perish-trap" since it otherwise looks like VoltTurn or RestTalk (that is, "Trap" is not a move). Can I get a consensus on this and have it included in the list of coined terms?
Yeah, "Trap" isn't a move so I'm a bit at a loss at this. Personally, I'd say Perish-trap or a Perish-trapper is fine, as trapper is an understood role in the community (see The Pokemon Dictionary) and "Perish" is part of a proper adjective making it a compound noun, at least to my understanding. After some more deliberation we'll add this to the standards.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
It should probably be "Perish trap" without the hyphen, since we don't use a hyphen for Pursuit trapping iirc, and hyphenating it makes it seem like it's also a move or something along that lines.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've come to realize that words like "sleeper" are very common in the context of the early generations and I don't see a problem with it. In DPP and BW, sleep-inducer is better, but leave sleeper in this one since it stays true to the generation.

Edit: there are no Psychic moves BUT Psychic. No one uses Psybeam.

I'll be checking this tonight.
I've asked Hipmonlee over IRC, and he is okay with standardizing this for RBY analyses. So can we use sleeper just for RBY analyses? :) Thanks!

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • In RBY analyses, it is permissible to use the term sleeper, which is accepted as meaning "a Pokemon that induces sleep onto the opponent".

Setup / Set-up can be used as an adjective in two ways, so the OP is a bit confusing.

Setup bait, setup fodder, a setup Gyarados (as in a Gyarados that has Dragon Dance but may or may not have already used the move) are all correct.

However, set-up applies to Pokemon that have already set up. So, a Gyarados at +1 because it used Dragon Dance is a set-up Gyarados, but one that has Dragon Dance in its moveset is a setup Gyarados, because it can set up (if that makes sense at all x.x)

Also, ignoring Baton Pass, a set-up DD Gyara is always a setup DD Gyara, but a setup DD Gyara is not always a set-up DD Gyara, kinda like rectangles and squares (I hope that helped to clarify more, instead of being more confusing ;-;)

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gosh I took quite a lot of time to understand what Jelli was saying even though I wasn't drunk ;_; hope his post made it clearer. Anyway, some questions too.

• Fire-Water-Grass or Fire / Water / Grass cores? (don't think I saw it anywhere >.>)
  • physical-special split or physical / special split?
Thanks! :)

Ray Jay

Everyone keeps asking me so whatever

• The term Fire / Water / Grass core is accepted as meaning "a core used containing a Fire-type, Water-type, and Grass-type, which is notable for its synergy."

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
So, something that isn't really standardized and probably should be: What do we want to call the Toxic poison status?

I'm of the belief that it should be called "badly poisoned", as that is how the game describes it, but then it's hard to describe the condition in the present tense, ie. "Your Pokemon is afflicted with bad poison", which sounds dumb. However, if we decide to word it as Toxic poison to differ it from regular poison, should Toxic be capitalized, or wrote as toxic poison?

What do you guys think?

I agree in that I prefer "badly poisoned".

However, if "Toxic poisoned" is being considered, it may help to present an example sentence for reference. It seems like, instead of using "Toxic poisoned" like a verb, it would be better to just say "poisoned by Toxic / Toxic Spikes". Saying so and so is "Toxic poisoned" (using the phrase like an adjective) just sounds weird.

Strictly speaking, I believe "Toxic" in "Toxic poison" should be capitalized, as it is a proper adjective.

sandshrewz

POTATO
Thanks for bringing this up Oglemi!

As an adjective etc, I'd favor 'badly poisoned' For example:

• A badly poisoned Pokemon is an easy prey for Torment Heatran
As a noun / present tense, Toxic poison sounds better I think :d

• Blissey hates Toxic poison more than a burn.
Bad poison and toxic poison seem as if 'bad' and 'toxic' are adjectives to the poison itself >.> Also might want to note that if regular poison and Toxic poison are used collectively, simply poison should do instead of stating both types.

Ray Jay

I've always wrote badly poisoned and I guess I'm misunderstanding where the problem is in the present tense:

Past: Misdreavus was badly poisoned / Misdreavus took damage due to being badly poisoned

Present: Misdreavus is badly poisoned / Misdreavus is taking damage due to being badly poisoned

Unless I'm just missing something which is totally possible

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ray Jay said:
The accented e is, like CP said, pretty much a hassle. Furthermore, it is also a matter of "born and raised"; that is, so many analyses lack the accent already that it is far easier to standardize an accentless e than the opposing view.
Can't you use an alt code? Alt + 0233

You misunderstand the point. There are two benefits of the non accented e. One, because it is used in analyses so often that even using an alt code would be an unnecessary inconvenience.
Two, replacing ANYTHING so prevalent in so many analyses would be a logistical nightmare, so we would be changing it for a lot of hassle and hardly any gain

just to clarify, can "switch-in" be used both to refer to "the Pokemon that switches in" and "the turn/ act of switching in"?

some examples of the former (from random onsite analyses):
  • set up Calm Mind as they switch out, and hit the switch-in hard
  • Toxic is great for getting residual damage on common switch-ins such as Blastoise
the latter:
  • Toxic can also be used to cripple several threats on the switch-in

or should the latter be phrased as "on the switch" or "on the switch in":
  • Focus Punch can be used in the last slot to smash Clefable on the switch
  • it still faces the risk of being 2HKOed by powerful hits on the switch in

Switch-in only refers to the Pokemon switching in itself.

For the other point, I would say use "on the switch in". "On the switch" doesn't necessarily indicate if the Clefable is switching in or out (and Pursuit could technically hit it "on the switch" as well, if it's fleeing).

On that note, would the term "switch-out" be acceptable for a Pokemon switching out, such as "Scizor can nail the switch-out hard with Pursuit"? I don't really see it coming up often, but it's always good to set the standards (you never know if the inevitable gen 6 will bring various Pursuit clones, exit hazards, or some other weird moves).

Also, how cool would exit hazards be? ^.^

Oglemi

Borf
OK some things:

- The term to describe Toxic-induced poison is "badly poisoned."

- Switch-out is a no as far as I'm concerned

sirn said:
or should the latter be phrased as "on the switch" or "on the switch in":
this is correct for the latter

And finally:

I'm making an executive decision to say that CurseLax is to be spelled like so, in order to fall in line with the likes of CroCune and stuff. This goes for nearly any smushed together name.

I'm making an executive decision to say that CurseLax is to be spelled like so, in order to fall in line with the likes of CroCune and stuff. This goes for nearly any smushed together name.
tyraniboah too? or is that an exception because - actually where did the boah part even come from, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)