Research Soul Silver Team Help

Ok so I'm building a team for just in game in soul silver, and was wondering if anyone could solve a dilemma for me.

I need a ghost or dark type to cover ghost and psychic but I can't think of any solution that doesn't have a major disadvantage. Obviously I can only do gen iv or earlier, and I have platinum so I can trade in from there, but no other gen iv games.

My team so far is: Golem, primape (traded), Lapras, Ampharos, fearow

The problem is every dark type apart from drapion, honchkrow, sableye or Spiritomb are weak to fighting, and Golem and Lapras are already weak to that. However I need a fast pokemon as otherwise I only have 2 which can outspeed being fearow and primeape, neither of which are special attack heavy, but having drapion means 3 weaknesses to ground (Drapion, Golem and Ampharos). However ghost types are annoying as I have to wait until late game for a mismagius, and Gengar is weak to both ghost and psychic, the two types I need to cover.

Any ideas?

you could replace fearow with honchkrow, and then add crobat for the fighting resist (and also a strong grass resist and toxic absorber, seeing that you have 2 pokemon weak to grass with only fearow/honchkrow as resist)... ice and electric weakness are covered by golem (immunity) e lapras (4x ice resist), rock weakness is covered by primeape/golem again, and psychic is a free switch for honchkrow... also you have two ground immunity, so the double weakness to it is mitigates

you could also use more bulky poison types (that i prefer, but is up to you) like venusaur and drapion, or more powerful option like roserade, and these pokemon have the added benefit of absorbing toxic spikes, something that crobat can't do; or some normal mon for the ghost immunity (but then you would have 3 mons weak to fighting, so i don't really recommend this, and crobat can already take care of ghosts, with faint attack/X-Scissor/zen headbutt if physical, or dark pulse/nasty plot if special)

you could replace fearow with honchkrow, and then add crobat for the fighting resist (and also a strong grass resist and toxic absorber, seeing that you have 2 pokemon weak to grass with only fearow/honchkrow as resist)... ice and electric weakness are covered by golem (immunity) e lapras (4x ice resist), rock weakness is covered by primeape/golem again, and psychic is a free switch for honchkrow... also you have two ground immunity, so the double weakness to it is mitigates

you could also use more bulky poison types (that i prefer, but is up to you) like venusaur and drapion, or more powerful option like roserade, and these pokemon have the added benefit of absorbing toxic spikes, something that crobat can't do; or some normal mon for the ghost immunity (but then you would have 3 mons weak to fighting, so i don't really recommend this, and crobat can already take care of ghosts, with faint attaeck/X-Scissor/zen headbutt if physical, or dark pulse/nasty plot if special)
I don't really like the idea of having more than one of the same type, and the triple weakness to 3 types to me just isn't worth it. My main goal is to be able to deal with all gym leaders and elite four in both regions, as well as team rocket and the rival. Poison types aren't worth it in that regard, as the only person they'd deal with is erika, and I've got Lapras and fearow for that. Houndoom or Gengar (my two original choices for the role before I realised their weaknesses) would be able to deal with this, but I can't use them.

why not use a steel type, maybe skarmory or magnezone? it resist ghost in 4th generation, if I remember well, and really ease the matchup with koga and nina, two annoying trainers, and his resistance to dragon can came in handy against lance, if your lapras go down. also, can be used for Will (magnezone with signal beam/thunderbolt/cannon flash/hp fire, sweep Will, destroy koga and as a good matchup with karen). magnezone is also useful for gyms (even as magnemite), resisting the first four jhoto gyms and the final two, less useful in kanto but always a powerhouse. Yes, now you have another weakness to fighting, but is not a common type (if i'm wrong, tell me), and with this change you could use gengar as 6th member, bringing an immunity to fighting (you don't have resists), normal and especially a ground immunity with levitate, so you can abuse this with switch, and a special attacker with a really good movepool and really good stats. More then that I don't know how to do without change too much mons, sorry ^^"

EDIT: as an added bonus, steel resists dark, so you could have another dark resistance (primeape is not really bulky). For first gyms, i highly recommend Magnet Rise->Signal Beam, because this let magnezone stay on Pidgeotto's Mud Slap (Falkner), Steelix (Jasmine) and Piloswine (Pryce), all slower than you (in pidgeotto's case, you simply Rise on pidgey)

Last edited:
why not use a steel type, maybe skarmory or magnezone? it resist ghost in 4th generation, if I remember well, and really ease the matchup with koga and nina, two annoying trainers, and his resistance to dragon can came in handy against lance, if your lapras go down. also, can be used for Will (magnezone with signal beam/thunderbolt/cannon flash/hp fire, sweep Will, destroy koga and as a good matchup with karen). magnezone is also useful for gyms (even as magnemite), resisting the first four jhoto gyms and the final two, less useful in kanto but always a powerhouse. Yes, now you have another weakness to fighting, but is not a common type (if i'm wrong, tell me), and with this change you could use gengar as 6th member, bringing an immunity to fighting (you don't have resists), normal and especially a ground immunity with levitate, so you can abuse this with switch, and a special attacker with a really good movepool and really good stats. More then that I don't know how to do without change too much mons, sorry ^^"
Magnezone would also mean too many ground weaknesses, and i already have an electric in ampharos which i much prefer so thats not an issue. Skarmory is too slow, so if I replace Fearow it would mean getting rid of a decent physical sweeper for another wall, which I have plenty of. Fighting is unfortunately quite common, as both Chuck and Bruno use this type, hence why I was worried about using a dark type. Mismagius would be best type wise, as it would resist fighting, and would be good versus Morty and Will while not being weak to both of them, however it's too late game, and I only have platinum to trade with, and you can't catch one in that. So far I think Gengar might be the best option to plug some holes in my team, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it being weak to the two types I'm trying to use it to cover.

EDIT: Magnezone is also too slow

Last edited:
ampharos is 5 base point slower than magnezone, has 15 base point less in SpA and a worse movepool, and you can always stay as a magneton if you need more speed; plus, trainers pokemon are not evsed, so you could probably be faster then most of them. And with gengar you have another ground immunity, so you balance the equation. and for bruno and chuck, psychic on gengar is the solution (only for the hitmon- is better fearow, the others have more def then SpD, and gengar hits really hard). if you prefer ampharos i say nothing (it's also my opinion ^_^), but for your team i think magnezone is still the best option.

ampharos is 5 base point slower than magnezone, has 15 base point less in SpA and a worse movepool, and you can always stay as a magneton if you need more speed; plus, trainers pokemon are not evsed, so you could probably be faster then most of them. And with gengar you have another ground immunity, so you balance the equation. and for bruno and chuck, psychic on gengar is the solution (only for the hitmon- is better fearow, the others have more def then SpD, and gengar hits really hard). if you prefer ampharos i say nothing (it's also my opinion ^_^), but for your team i think magnezone is still the best option.
Gengar usually has levitate so ground isnt really an issue, so i think he may be the way to go. Magnezone is still also weak to fighting. To be honest I really just need a dark or ghost suggestion that has good speed and special attack, and then any other edits I should make that don't give too many weaknesses and still provide coverage for every gym leader and elite four. I'll still take any suggestions people might have, but thank you for trying :).

thinking different, you can use weavile (dark/ice STAB is really good, is fast and strong) and for the fighting weakness, you can replace lapras with starmie, a really better mon if you need speed. this trade bulk for power. I'm not a fan of these kind of teams (i prefer stall even for in-game), but has a good matchup against all the gyms, the rival and the elite four (weavile and starmie really sweep all elite four alone).

this is the team planner to see resistance/weakness, not more then two mons weak to the same type: https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-t...earow+primeape+golem+starmie+ampharos+weavile

thinking different, you can use weavile (dark/ice STAB is really good, is fast and strong) and for the fighting weakness, you can replace lapras with starmie, a really better mon if you need speed. this trade bulk for power. I'm not a fan of these kind of teams (i prefer stall even for in-game), but has a good matchup against all the gyms, the rival and the elite four (weavile and starmie really sweep all elite four alone).

this is the team planner to see resistance/weakness, not more then two mons weak to the same type: https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-t...earow+primeape+golem+starmie+ampharos+weavile
Food for thought definitely, though I did use Weavile in the last playthrough I did in Platinum, and Sneasel is pretty late game (sorry I'm probably sounding really picky). Staryu is a bit late game as I need to have gone all the way to Olivine to get the good rod to get it, and starmie doesn't have a great psychic movepool. I'll have a look at that team planner though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)