So i found a baby rabbit yesterday.

And another because he was just so cute.

So i found a baby rabbit by a tree, he was very cold, so i picked him up, and then i noticed the maggots all over him. So i washed him off and wrapped him up in a shirt that was around. Then i got a couple of people to find out how to take care of wild rabbits. The internet says you shouldn't, and should release him into the wild as soon as possible, but i didn't want to do that since he was so cute! So i took care of him for a bit, apparently a makeshift heat pad can be made with a sock and rice put into a microwave, except apparently 30 seconds is too long. So i called around for other options, knowing that i would at least need to figure out what rabbits eat. Someone said to put him back, thinking that the mother didn't actually leave him, but i found that bogus considering there were maggots on him not to mention he was cold and hungry. A second animal whateveriforgetwhatitwas told me how to take care of him, should the need arise. The third one was actually able to take him in, so i got him over there, and they took him in.

So yeah, that's where he is right now. If i find something new, i'll post it. Now go and say aww.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm torn between "you shouldn't take a wild animal out of its situation, no matter how bad it may seem because you're fucking with the natural order of the world" and "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, LOOKIT DA BUNNY"

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
you should probably call a local animal place that can take him off your hands and give it the care it needs before it goes back into the wild

that being said you did the right thing by taking it out of the cold etc but probably no good to keep it now

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
when it comes to cute baby animals that grow up to be smaller than a cat they you should always keep em and take care of them yourself. they life expectancy is far longer in human care than under your car.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
raise it as your own, then 13 years later release it into the wild and document its encounters with the great outdoors, including various wise-talking animals in order to make a disney film out of it

Well, no i'm not keeping him, i gave him to a wildlife preservationist or whatever they call it these days. If he survives, which i hope he does, he should probably be released in a few weeks.

cookie

is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You probably did the right thing: the "rabbit" actually looks like a hare, which I don't think you can just keep. Those fuckers need to run around and shit.

You did a good thing. It's still a baby and they need to be cared for before they become independent, sounds like it was in a rough situation before you came along. Hopefully he finds a good home.

Stagnant, I've nursed animals in worse condition, sometimes nothing can be done but from what I can tell it's not as bad as it could be.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is a difference between hares and rabbits (live above or below ground, in groups or alone, born furry or born blind/naked). This age and photos... can you really tell?

In any case, whether it be youtube or deviantart, I'm pretty sure I saw stories of people raising/releasing wild rabbits. I don't think rabbits have a lot of "learned" behavior needed to survive (ie. very little "how to be a rabbit" schooling from momma rabbit), so raise and release can't be that hard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ee059s3Ss

This person's a "pro" and based on it, I'd infer that rabbits are one animal that can be released successfully without being "raised" by another rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqBdS0XkV4

look at the number of views... lol / dawww

I'm just worried about the maggots. Did you check to see if the rabbit had any festering wounds or skin malformations?

cookie

I'm no expert, but the baby thing there looks quite slender and sleek like a hare, whereas rabbits tend to be lumps of fluff.

eeeeeeee it's so tiny eeeeeeeeeeee

i think cookie might be right, although i'm not sure how domesticated rabbits compare to wild rabbits.

Oh my goodness the adorablness factor cannot be enscribed. CUTENESS OVERLOAD..... GAAHHH *and KruashiDragon was never heard from again*. lolz

Anyway, you did good by taking it out of a bad situation. Hopefully it'll stay alive and be released back into the wild.

Its certainly a hare.

When me and my sister were young, we found a nest of abandoned hares in our backyard. We tried nursing them but they died within four or five hours. It was dreadfully sad. You did the right thing by handing it over to experts.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i would love a pet rabbit if not for the fact that they shit everywhere

and then clean up after themselves o.o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)