Smogon VGC Live Tournaments - On hold (See post #180, page 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Anyway we can get the Griseous Orb in case we want to use Origin Form for Giratina or must we get one ourselves?
Go to route 130 and dive where the E is. The griseous orb is around there (just move around on the sea floor mashing A until you find it)

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Time for info for this weeks tournament. Sadly Steven Stone is busy this weekend again, so we will only have a tournament on Saturday. Link to that tournament is here, and just as a reminder the link to the chatroom on Showdown, Tohjo Falls, is here. Now for this weeks Pokemon:

Giratina
Nature: Modest - Ability: Pressure
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/x/31/31/30/31
Moveset:

This week, we will be giving away a Giratina donated by Jio . Giratina's Origin form is a pretty popular Pokemon in the VGC metagame, being a good check to Kangaskhan as well as the primals (except Kyogre's Ice Beam).
What's the OT of the Giratina? If it's Padparadscha it's actually the one I gave you since mine has the exact same ivs (unless Jio sr one the exact same)

Oh, I'm off tommorow with not much to do. I might stop in with a joke team an epic as fuck team and grab a Giratina. Because why not.

edit: and where the hell is the chat I have not been following this much the last couple weeks; keep in mind I am Showdon retarded.

Oh, I'm off tommorow with not much to do. I might stop in with a joke team an epic as fuck team and grab a Giratina. Because why not.

edit: and where the hell is the chat I have not been following this much the last couple weeks; keep in mind I am Showdon retarded.
play.pokemonshowdown.com/tohjofalls

Congrats to Impact for winnings today tour in a 2-0 victory!

g1: both players forgot to save replay :(
g2: [22:33:50] Impact VGC:RG4G-WWWW-WW3G-U6FZ

Time for info for this weeks tournament. Sadly Steven Stone is not available this weekend again, so we will only have a tournament on Saturday. Link to that tournament is here, and just as a reminder the link to the chatroom on Showdown, Tohjo Falls, is here. Now for this weeks Pokemon:

Ho-Oh

Nature: Adamant - Ability: Pressure
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/31/30/x/30/31
Moveset: Brave Bird / Sacred Fire / Tailwind / Protect

This week, we will be giving away "Guy Fawkes" the Ho-Oh, indirectly donated by lucariojr , since Theorymon was the one who traded it to me. Ho-Oh is a pretty good Pokemon in the VGC metagame, due to its ability to check Primal Groudon as well as Xerneas, as well as being able to support its teammates with Tailwind and cripple all physical attackers except Primal Groudon with Sacred Fire burns.

Last edited:
I'll try again this week, let's hope my graphics card doesn't brick itself like last week.
It's not a GTX 680, it's just a paperweight with fans now.

Prepare for a shoddy, "I stuck 6 random shits together" team.

Okay so I am really sorry about this, but we have some bad news. When I posted this I forgot that I won't be home when the tour happens, so this week the tournament is cancelled. Really sorry to all of you who wanted to participate this week, especially you ProjectTitan313 since I know you haven't been able to any other weeks :(

Okay so I am really sorry about this, but we have some bad news. When I posted this I forgot that I won't be home when the tour happens, so this week the tournament is cancelled. Really sorry to all of you who wanted to participate this week, especially you ProjectTitan313 since I know you haven't been able to any other weeks :(
It's cool, work's given me a reliably dickish predictable schedule that somehow gives me Firday night + Saturday off in sync with the tourneys so I'll probably have a shot at the next one. :P
Gives me more time to plot out my team of all-countering, omnipotent doom. Maybe I'll bring Mandibuzz again, she's never lost a single tourney.

Time for info for this weeks tournament. Steven Stone is back, so finally we will have 2 tournaments again. Link to Friday's tournament is here, link to Saturday's tournament is here, and just as a reminder the link to the chatroom on Showdown, Tohjo Falls, is here. Now for this weeks Pokemon:

Ho-Oh
Nature: Adamant - Ability: Pressure
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/31/30/x/30/31
Moveset: Brave Bird / Sacred Fire / Tailwind / Protect

This week, we will be giving away "Guy Fawkes" the Ho-Oh, indirectly donated by lucariojr , since Theorymon was the one who traded it to me. Ho-Oh is a pretty good Pokemon in the VGC metagame, due to its ability to check Primal Groudon as well as Xerneas, as well as being able to support its teammates with Tailwind and cripple all physical attackers except Primal Groudon with Sacred Fire burns.

Saturday I'm fucked but FRIDAY NIGHT I might; there's the Kanto Classic this weekend too so :P
So yes, i have TWO teams to smash together tommorow, expect Arbok in both teams my usual display of masterful and creative teambuilding combined with mind crush.

Edit: fuck I missed signups, thought it was later fsr.
Might stop in in a bit anyway cuz why not

Last edited:
Okay so we only got two participants this week, so Mishimono and blast95 duked it out in a bo3 bo3, which Mishimono barely won! Mishimono won the first bo3 as well as the last one, and blast won the second

[21:33:03] +Mishiimono: ZXZW-WWWW-WW3M-8RQW
[21:33:06] +Mishiimono: g1 set 1
[21:33:44] +Mishiimono: GQMW-WWWW-WW3M-8RRG g2 set 1
[21:34:13] +Mishiimono: P4VG-WWWW-WW3M-8RV2 g1 set 2
[21:34:20] +Mishiimono: I forgot to save the next one :(
[21:34:49] +Mishiimono: KSZG-WWWW-WW3M-8SWS g1 set 3
[21:35:39] +Mishiimono: TM8G-WWWW-WW3M-8S3R g2 set 3
[21:36:02] +Mishiimono: 7SXW-WWWW-WW3M-8S5K finals

Also I am really disappointed in the amount of signups this week, 2 today and zero yesterday. I am not blaming any of you participating (rather not participating actually), because the lack of interest in these tours is probably also due to the organization, and us hosts will look into this and see what we can do about it and why it has happened, where we went wrong, etc.

edit @ below: yeah ik kanto classic happened, but participation overall has been poor over many weeks sadly :(

Last edited:
Kanto Classic was Friday + Saturday, so that ate a lot of people.
I was cleaning a bunch of shit and got online at 5:30, comp was pretty much half done by then.

edit: shit I forgot there was one today, I was scheduled to work but got sick. >_>

Unfortunately there won't be a tournament this week, since we are still in the middle of working out what we want to do with these tournaments, and an online meeting about it is actually scheduled for almost exactly the time when the tour is usually held on Saturday as well. We will be back with a revamped version of these tours though in two weeks from now though.

I wish I has gotten chance to participate in these this winter, but I was studying abroad and didn't really have time to build a team or play too much. I'm back in the US now and have time to start playing more, so hopefully I'll get to participate in a few of these.

As for why participation dipped, funnily enough I think it might be Theorymon's giveaway. There's a lot fewer reasons to participate in a tournament for a pokemon if you can get that pokemon for free elsewhere. Of course that has helped Vgc tremendously by making it accessible, but it might have hurt these tournaments. I dont know how to fix this, unfortunately.

I think it would be better to see how many people even want/are able to participate in these tournaments to begin with. Worst case scenario, participation has dipped because people hate vgc16, they don't find the reward appealing as ck49 said, or they are swamped this time of year with other things. In the case of the latter, changing the time of the tourny might also allow more people to participate.

Okay so new week, and there are some changes to say the least. We are going to try to switch over to Pokemon Showdown, for a number of reasons, which are at the bottom of the OP (I'll also put it in a hide tag at the bottom of this post). We are trying to have only one tournament on Saturday 2PM EDT (GMT-4). We will also hopefully have a stream this week, although the details regarding that aren't quite finalised, and it might need to wait until the next round. I would appreciate it if everyone could read through the OP to see everything that changes, since it is quite a bit and I don't have everything in this post. The link to the signups are here, and the link to the chatroom Tohjo Falls is here. Now for the Pokemon:

Palkia
Nature: Quiet - Ability: Pressure
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0
Moveset: Spacial Rend / Aura Sphere / Hydro Pump / Earth Power

This week, we will be giving away Palkia, donated by Steven Stone . Palkia is a great Trick Room setter in the VGC metagame, and a great check to both Primals on Trick Room teams, as it has no issue taking hits from Primal Kyogre, and while it does not tank Primal Groudon's hits as well, it hits it hard with Earth Power.

Now we are aware of that some users might be disappointed about that we are switching from on cartridge to Pokemon Showdown. While it hurts to let down the people that really enjoyed having these on cartridge, there are many reasons for that we will try to run these on Pokemon Showdown. One of the things we always have wanted with these tours, is for them to be streamed on Smogon's official Twitch. This was basically impossible on cartridge, and while we got up finals on YouTube, that isn't really the same thing to say the least. It also makes hosting a lot easier and faster. Hosting them on Showdown also makes it easier for Smogon regulars that are interested in VGC but not commited to the point of bothering to get Pokemon in game to participate. These are not all of the reasons, and I am not really planning to list them all, since this whole PS vs in-game thing is kind of a complicated mess, but I hope you get the idea.

The winner of this weeks tournament is AuraRayquaza ! He played against patriots21 in the finals, and won 2-0. So AuraRayquaza gets 3 points, patriots21 gets 2 points. Delteros got to the top of the bracket but had to leave before the final so he couldn't play in it, but that makes him 3rd in a way so he gets 1 point. Replays from the final:

[21:48:05] %Ksh13: so this is g1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-353527203
[21:48:25] %Ksh13: and g2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-353530165

New week, and this time around the Pokemon is pretty rare. Link to signups is here, and link to the PS chatroom, Tohjo Falls, is here. Now for the Pokemon:

Dialga
Nature: Modest - Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 0 - IVs: 31/25/31/31/31/0
Moveset:

This Dialga was given to me by kamikaze17 , who recieved it from ΩDonut. This is one of very few Telepathy Dialga's that pass the hack checks at Regionals, and as an added bonus it also has HP Ice. This week you will recieve it through manual trades due to its Wish Ribbon.

Also, I want to make it absolutely clear that you have to participate in the tournament to get the Pokemon. If I find a Cacnea asking for a Dialga and none of the participants that are in the chatroom confirm that it is them, I will ignore it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)