Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: June 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We are going to see a hell of a lot of Iron Tail Lucarios simply to get around Florges, and I suspect that Crunch will go down in usage sinse last gen because, well, what notable thing does it hit that isn't already hit neutrally (aside from Chandy, who Luke has no business staying in on in the first place as Scarf Fire Blast OHKOs). The only use for Crunch now is to hit it maybe on the switch? But even then it is simply outclassed by Iron Tail now dispite its shaky accuracy.

I'm not a huge competitive player but UU is looking really nice. Nowhere near as much OP priority stuff. No wonder Volcarona is UU due to getting destroyed by Talonflame that outspeeds it regardless of how many Quiver Dance boosts and is also immune to Flame Body hax.

We are going to see a hell of a lot of Iron Tail Lucarios simply to get around Florges, and I suspect that Crunch will go down in usage sinse last gen because, well, what notable thing does it hit that isn't already hit neutrally (aside from Chandy, who Luke has no business staying in on in the first place as Scarf Fire Blast OHKOs). The only use for Crunch now is to hit it maybe on the switch? But even then it is simply outclassed by Iron Tail now dispite its shaky accuracy.
Lucario gets Hone Claws. Think that'll get some use?

There's Slowbro, which is one of the best Pokemon in the tier and walls you if you lack Crunch. It's pretty important lol

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's Slowbro, which is one of the best Pokemon in the tier and walls you if you lack Crunch. It's pretty important lol
Forgot that :P, but I think that just one pokemon isn't really enough to justify its use tbh. Especially when thats what u have teammates to hit it for you.
e: wow I'm such a hipocrit

All I can think of looking at the Pokemon rising to OU is how BP screwed with the usage stats between OU and UU. I kind of wish the process of suspecting it had gone faster, since now a few Pokemon that should definitely be UU are going to be stuck in OU with virtually no usage for the next 3 months (assuming BP chains do get nerfed, which I'm pretty sure they will). Ah well, what can you do about it? UU is just going to have to live without Quag and Vaporeon for a while I guess.

All I can think of looking at the Pokemon rising to OU is how BP screwed with the usage stats between OU and UU. I kind of wish the process of suspecting it had gone faster, since now a few Pokemon that should definitely be UU are going to be stuck in OU with virtually no usage for the next 3 months (assuming BP chains do get nerfed, which I'm pretty sure they will). Ah well, what can you do about it? UU is just going to have to live without Quag and Vaporeon for a while I guess.
I don't think Quag is being used just because of BP, it's a beast on stall teams and it's been going up in usage for a while.

Please hurry up and ban Blissey from UU. UU is mostly special and not many players are prepared for Blissey in UU.

EDIT: Also, Sigilyph and Barbaracle need to be banned from NU. Sigilyph forces players to run a Vanilluxe with Frost Breath and Barbaracle is too dangerous for NU. Jolly Barbaracle after one Shell Smash literally outspeeds every single common scarfer in NU and you can't do a thing about it.

Last edited:
I don't think Quag is being used just because of BP, it's a beast on stall teams and it's been going up in usage for a while.
You're right it's not JUST because of BP, however it's so close to the cut-off that it's very likely it made the difference between UU and OU. Quagsire is just straight up viable as a part of many stall cores. I think it actually does have a shot of staying OU, unlike most of the other stuff that got the bump like Smeargle and Vaporeon. I suspect it'll stay close to the cut-off for the long term either way though. It has a niche, but is a fairly limited one.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please hurry up and ban Blissey from UU. UU is mostly special and not many players are prepared for Blissey in UU.
That is not true at all. They are a ton of powerful physical attackers in UU that can obliterate blissey, such as mienshao, darmanitan, Heracross, arcanine with close combat, the newly added infernape and lucario, the list goes on.

The stones were BL, because they were banned from UU. Now they are OU because of usage. The base forms are also OU because the tiering system doesn't separare the usage of base forms and mega forms.

Except Manectric, he was UU.

About Alakazam, I don't know, apparently the mega form is better. Smogon people keep changing their minds.
Mega Alakazam is better in a UU enviroment because of its speed and somewhat absence of priority in the tier. Mega dactyl (Speed tie), scarf users (The only common scarf user it outspeeds is Honchkrow, afaik) and honchkrow w/sucker pucnh are about all that can revenge kill it, I think.

LO magic guard alakazam is still more devastating offensively though.

Both are probably far too strong for the tier anyway.

Edit: I'm pretty content with the drops and feel like all would fair well, with the exception of Volcarona and Alakazam.

Just about nothing can stop Volcarona if it gets +1, right? It might not be the best in OU this gen but its certainly too strong for UU.

What's the big idea with Smeargle? It's going all over the place (OU, UU, RU, UU, OU) I think it was even NU at some point.

Last edited:
What's the big idea with Smeargle? It's going all over the place (OU, UU, RU, UU, OU) I think it was even NU at some point.
I guess it's kind of like Ditto. Its stats are so shitty that it has pretty much the same viability on every tier because it's always weaker than everything else and relies on a gimmick to be useful. So there isn't really a tier it belongs to.

Last edited:
baton pass

same reason why scolipede and vaporeon rose
Scolipede actually has a good chance to stay after Bpass ban, it's still a pretty good lategame cleaner, basically a weaker Blaziken.
Smeargle can still put opponent to sleep, quickpass and setup webs and rocks so it isn't exactly that out of place in OU, even though not exactly good(iirc it was ranked C+ even before BPass became a thing).
Vaporeon, on the other hand, is complete garbage outside of Baton Pass and will be the joke of OU until September shifts

Smeargle can learn every move in the game; its versatility is nigh unmatched. When you see a Smeargle on the other team, you have no idea what moves it has (though usually it's hazards/baton pass).

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

EDIT: Also, Sigilyph and Barbaracle need to be banned from NU. Sigilyph forces players to run a Vanilluxe with Frost Breath and Barbaracle is too dangerous for NU. Jolly Barbaracle after one Shell Smash literally outspeeds every single common scarfer in NU and you can't do a thing about it.

You just got infernape/lucario/alakazam (psyshock)

you can handle blissey :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)