Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
idk if you realise this but mons cant rise more than 1 tier at a time, like if seaking suddenly got 60% ou usage it still wouldnt rise anywhere if it didnt have enough nu usage, same goes with amoonguss not having enough uu usage to rise there so it could rise to ou
Thats not how it works, a mon can't drop more than 1 tier at a time, but it can definitely rise more than one. A mon can easily move to PU to OU (This almost happened with Altaria when ORAS was released) in just one tier shift, because they had enough usage in OU in order to be OU, doesn't matter how much usage it has in UU, RU, or NU

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can't something drop more than one tier immediately if they rose multiple tiers in one shift and then dropped (for example, if - say - Lop were to stop getting usage in OU, it'd go straight to PU because that is where it shifted from)? I swear that's how it works, or am I misremembering?

Can't something drop more than one tier immediately if they rose multiple tiers in one shift and then dropped (for example, if - say - Lop were to stop getting usage in OU, it'd go straight to PU because that is where it shifted from)? I swear that's how it works, or am I misremembering?
That's what happened to Pidgeot. Though I think that if a Pokemon drops for the first time, it would drop one tier at a time but when is rises again then drops again, that's where quickdrops happen.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
I think that only works with bans, not with normal rises and drops. Which is why auto drop happened to Venomoth although then it got banned from ru.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Rises
Togekiss from BL to OU
Amoonguss from RU to OU

Drops
Sylveon from OU to UU
Conkeldurr from OU to UU
Primeape from NU to PU
Cryogonal from NU to PU
Bouffalant from NU to PU
Pawniard from NU to PU
Is Bof Stall really that popular that Amoonguss is rising to OU?

Sylveon and Conkeldurr would be nice additions to UU. CM Sylv would probably outclass Florges, due to more power in Pixilate Hyper Voices and nice coverage options, although Florges has immediate recovery in Synthesis. Cleric Sylveon may also work with Wish and Heal Bell, again like Florges does already. AV Conkeldurr would be a nice check to Hydreigon and Crocune due to Guts, LO Sheer Force would probably outclass that set however.

Primeape would be great in PU, kinda reminding me of Sawk in NU. I can see Scarf becoming popular, but CB would wreck stuff because of it's nice coverage, which unlike Sawk, has momentum. Cryogonal would be a nice new hazard remover in PU, but it is still weak to SR so... Bouffalant would be powerful with SD and Reckless Head Charge, but still think Ursaring would be better. I think Pawniard would be broken in PU, thanks to Defiant and Knock Off spam being so dangerous in this tier.

Edit: Was also surprised not to see Zapdos and Celebi drop to UU

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 129-152 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Aggron: 116-137 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 204 SpD Escavalier: 111-131 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- 93.2% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Empoleon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 159-188 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 123-144 (36.3 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 90-107 (26.6 - 31.6%) -- 91.8% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (62 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 160-189 (45.3 - 53.5%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 288-340 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 160-189 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 204-240 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 322-382 (81.7 - 96.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Roserade: 97-115 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 40.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 362-428 (112.7 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 188-224 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 172-204 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 216-255 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 232-273 (32.4 - 38.2%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 144 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax: 201-237 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 169-199 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 139-165 (37.1 - 44.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Specs Sylveon will be massively threatening in UU. Hyper voice at least 2HKOes everything except bulky steels/poisons and the bulkiest of special walls, as shown above. Further, there are few particularly great answers. Most of the bulky steels/poisons can only switch in once due to being 3HKOed and lacking reliable recovery (or 2HKOed and outspeeding in the case of Nidoqueen), while the ones that avoid the 3HKO (emp/zong/rose) can't OHKO back. Porygon2 can barely avoid the 3HKO by running an otherwise suboptimal spread, but can't take even the tiniest of chip damage or it runs serious risk of being 2HKOed. Blissey is the only thing that can switch in multiple times on its own, and that only fits on very defensive teams.

However, this all is somewhat alleviated by how often these bulky steels are paired with Wishpassers; ironically enough, most likely with cleric Sylveon. Checking it offensively is easier thanks to its low speed and how offensive teams easily carry at least one thing that can OHKO (and possibly hard switch in once on Hyper Voice), such as Entei, Nidoqeen, Mamoswine, Cobalion, and Mega Beedrill. However, there are still plenty of things Sylveon can tank a hit from on offensive teams, meaning it should usually get at least one kill.

I'm not saying it's going to be broken, but it's certainly going to be really damn good.

Rising and dropping are just two different things altogether because of the way the stats are calculated. Simply put, there are no direct calculations on OU or UU that would lead to an immediate drop to NU or PU. Since unlike rising the lowest tier is not the tier in priority, whereas the same cannot be said of rises with the highest tier being the priority.

A good example of this happened with Mawile, who still had to go through the whole song and dance of the tiering process after the mega stone was banned.

Last edited:
Can't happen simply because OU is the baseline tier so it is possible to disregard the usage stats for PU-UU with regard to its rise. Whereas, the same can't be said for a mon dropping since the lowest tier isn't the baseline for usage. Bans are a different story but generally it follows the more sequential process.

A good example of this happened with Mawile, who still had to go through the whole song and dance of the tiering process after the mega stone was banned.
It actually can, but only if said Pokemon ascended to the tier it was dropping from by skipping tiers in between. In that case, it would skip those tiers coming back down. See: Gallade, Pidgeot

Also: only in gen VI tiering do we see a mon on the verge of both going to OU and PU at once. This should be interesting.

At least Hitmonchan doesn't look like it's ever going back to RU.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So I just want to clarify, are mega's gonna be tiered separately this tier shift? or are we waiting for Pokemon Z to come out?

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
idk why the common misconception is that "bof"(lol is it really called this) stall is the only reason for the amoong rise, in comparison to Quagsire / Chans / Goth it's actually quite splashable in being able to check a few threats, being a solid keld check now that subcm rage died is really nice, as well as being a cool option on sand to deal with non-bd azu and breloom. It isn't the best mon in the world but it only rising cos of bof stall is a common misconception when it does actually have niches in OU.

What are the projected rises and drops for the tier shift?
Here are my predictions.

Togekiss: rise to OU
Conkeldurr: drop to UU
Gothitelle: either rise to OU or drop to PU
Primeape: drop to PU
Cryogonal: drop to PU
Muk: drop to PU
Bouffalant: drop to PU
Trevenant: drop to NU

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rises
Amoonguss from RU to OU

Drops
Sylveon from OU to UU
Conkeldurr from OU to UU
My thoughts here:

Amoonguss from August --> 1.99500%
Amoonguss from September --> 3.40232%
If Amoonguss's usage in October skyrocketed (say, higher than ~5%), it will rise definitely.

Sylveon usage stats from August --> 4.11051%
Sylveon usage stats from September --> 3.37124%
If Sylveon's usage in October drastically dropped (say, lower than ~2.5%), it will drop definitely.

Conkeldurr from August --> 3.67407%
Conkeldurr from September --> 3.30717%
If Conkeldurr's usage in October dropped (say, lower than ~3%), it will drop definitely.

However, as this tier shift needs cumulative stats from August to October, I may be wrong in the aforementioned speculations.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My thoughts here:

Amoonguss from August --> 1.99500%
Amoonguss from September --> 3.40232%
If Amoonguss's usage in October skyrocketed (say, higher than ~5%), it will rise definitely.

Sylveon usage stats from August --> 4.11051%
Sylveon usage stats from September --> 3.37124%
If Sylveon's usage in October drastically dropped (say, lower than ~2.5%), it will drop definitely.

Conkeldurr from August --> 3.67407%
Conkeldurr from September --> 3.30717%
If Conkeldurr's usage in October dropped (say, lower than ~3%), it will drop definitely.

However, as this tier shift needs cumulative stats from August to October, I may be wrong in the aforementioned speculations.
October is weighted as 20/24, September is 3/24, and August is 1/24 iirc, they don't need to drop or rise that much in order to fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)